¡TRÉ!

Liam

I really like Walk Away!!!

Me too, really good. Wasn't expecting to like this one for some reason.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im the only one here who's thinking Brutal Love is one of the GREATEST SONGS GREEN DAY HAS EVER MADE!?!

I agree. It became instantly one of my favorite Green Day songs. I love everything about it and I certainly wasn't expecting to hear something like that song. It sounds so classy and powerful. Oh man.

This has to be the most overly repeated comment, but if I could frankenstein with the 3 albums and make them one it would be something like this:

Act iUNO!

1. Nuclear Family

2. Stay The Night

3. Carpe Diem

4. Let Yourself Go

5. Kill The DJ

6. Troublemaker

7. Sweet 16

8. Rusty James

Act iDOS!

9. See You Tonight

10. Fuck Time

11. Lazy Bones

12. Makeout Party

13. Stray Heart

14. Baby Eyes

Act iTRE!

15. Brutal Love

16. Missing You

17. Drama Queen

18. X-Kid

19. Dirty Rotten Bastards

20. 99 Revolutions

Sorry, but this would be the best Green Day album.

I agree. It became instantly one of my favorite Green Day songs. I love everything about it and I certainly wasn't expecting to hear something like that song. It sounds so classy and powerful. Oh man.

EXACTLY, It remind me to Queen (i dont know why haha)

No one else got a boner over Tre's drum solo?? I've seen no comments about it :dry:

The first time I heard it I laughed and jumped around like a madman. Very nearly screamed "TRE IS BACK MOTHERFUCKERS". My dog gave me the weirdest look :P

The second time I heard I was driving. I got pretty lost in it, and when I looked back at the speedometer I was going 40 over the speed limit :ninja:

Yeah, so getting a boner would be an understatement :D

Definitely love Brutal Love, even more than Lazy Bones, even more than Rusty James. As soon as it properly kicked in I found myself wishing they'd gone all out like this for the rest of the songs on the trilogy instead of filling up a fair chunk of the three albums with songs that don't go anywhere their first 20 years of output hasn't already gone.

On Tre, there are about 4 songs in the middle I'm not finding particularly exhilarating. Sex Drugs & Violence is the worst of them, but Little Boy Named Train, Amanda and Walk Away don't really stand out, but maybe one of them will grow on me like Sweet 16 and Wow That's Loud did on the previous two. Drama Queen minus the period line is a decent album track, nice tempo change. The Forgotten is still horrific but the guitar solo at the end saves it from being the worst song they've ever done.

Also as a sidenote, think I've perfected my 12 track trilogy playlist by putting Dirty Rotten Bastards and Brutal Love back to back, as like the last track of Side A and the first track of Side B. Works brilliantly. I had to start with Nuclear Family and end with Amy so fitting those two in was a challenge.

For now this is my ranking:

American Idiot

¡TRÉ!

¡DOS!

Dookie - Warning - ¡UNO!

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

Nimrod - 21st Century Breakdown

Kerplunk!

Insomniac

So what are your top 5 favorite songs from this album? It's really hard for me to decide, but I guess I'd have to say:

Brutal Love

8th Avenue

X-Kid

Amanda

99 Revolutions

It will probably be different in a few minutes, though, because it's so great!

You know you're in love when you look that special Guy/Girl and instantly Brutal Love sounds in your head.

also Little Boy Named Train :ninja:

Hmmmmmmm...

no.

Any tips on where to find the link SAFELY..?

go to youtube, find a video for each song. then add "SING" before "youtube (example: www.SINGyoutube...) then you download each song separately

If you are too lazy just search on google :P

Hmmmmmmm...

no.

I LOVE that song :sorry:

actually i listen to it right now

For now this is my ranking:

American Idiot

¡TRÉ!

¡DOS!

Dookie - Warning - ¡UNO!

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

Nimrod - 21st Century Breakdown

Kerplunk!

Insomniac

The fact that you ranked Nimrod, Kerplunk! and Insomniac in your bottom three albums makes me unable to take you seriously.

Here's my track-by-track review (I'm trying not to be biased)

Brutal Love- 8 7/10

This song starts out slow, but the rhythm picks up and the fun kicks in with the horns. It's kinda long, and long+slow isn't always a good combo. I'd prefer Missing You as the intro to the album, then Brutal Love as #2 Edit: everytime I hear this, it gets better. I like it as the starting song, opened my eyes this morning.

Missing You- 10/10

This is gonna be the remembered song on Tre. Instant classic.

8th Avenue Serenade 5/10

I'm bored as hell with this song, shouldn't have listened to the Echoplex recording so much. It's got a great tune, but Billie's vocal seem kinda bland.

Drama Queen 8/10

This song get's catchy quick, and if I didn't kill it by listening to the Dos vinyl pressing, I'd be listening to it right now. But I always skip it because X-Kid is too much to wait for

X-Kid 10/10

This song you can truly feel Billie's emotion and the backing vocals add character

Sex, Drugs & Violence 9/10

Does anyone else hear the Ramones' Babysitter in this? I love this track, but it can get a little repetitive. Mikes vocals in this are beautiful, although "Jesus made me this way" seems like a bold statement from Billie

Little Boy Named Train 6/10

The song is bland at the first verse, but picks up enthusiasm by the chorus. Not on the bottom of my list though.

Amanda 7/10

Great song, gives us more insight on Billie's feelings for his ex. Although I prefer the solo from Red 7, the new version fucks with my head

Walk Away 3/10

Extremely disappointed. This is one that I was looking forward to the most. I'm not sure if this is the C&V or not. It has the trilogy sound, of course it's not a recording from 2003, but it's nowhere near maximum Green Day. They say there's no filler songs, but they take State of Shock out and throw this in from the closet? I don't get it. It has the lyrical feel of Walking Alone, but nowhere near as good.

Dirty Rotten Bastards 7/10

Took 2 listens to like this one, but it has that swaggy-pirate feel and I love it. Reminds me of A Quick One, deserves another listen if you don't like it

99 Revolutions 8/10

The studio version did not disappoint. Might've given it a 9/10 if I hadn't listened to it all summer.

The Forgotten 6/10 Great closing, Brutal Love-The Forgotten go together perfect. They're like matching bookends around a set of books

so much songs and i still love every new one they make, i will always respect and love these guys :wub:

Im going to go ahead and say that I love all 3 albums and if I had to pick my least favorite song it would be Nightlife. My favorite song from the whole trilogy just might be The Forgotten . . I usually hate the sappy ballad crap but wow, this song really pulls your heart strings.

No one else got a boner over Tre's drum solo?? I've seen no comments about it :dry:

I posted a pic, but mods removed it and yelled at me

First thoughts track by track. I will post a much more descriptive review later on.

Brutal Love: Perfect song after Amy. Something absolutely new from Green Day, and it works. Billie's voice is chilling, the dissonance, the horns, it all works in unison to create this beautifully ugly masterpiece. First song, just like Nuclear Family, is an absolute standout. Without a doubt 10/10.

Missing You: Good song at first, nothing really special. Then we get to that bridge. Mike's melodic line covered by crisp guitars, an excellent melody, and Tre's incredible skin shredding fills. That section alone makes this more than filler. 8/10

8th Avenue Serenade: Beautiful pop song. Excellent melody, with a quiet but energetic passion behind it. The quiet ooo's and the chorus harmonies are fantastic. +1 point for being a personal favorite. 9/10

Drama Queen: The first "eh" song for me. Far from bad, but the something about the melody doesn't serve the excellent music behind it well. It will definitely be grower for me, as I love the lyrics, but it feels oddly placed in it's current spot. 6/10

X-Kid: Another standout. Everything about this song is fucking great. Whether its the passionate lyrics, singing, or that creative yet familiar riff. The middle section of the song is absolutely killer, and the bass and drums do not disappoint. 10/10

Sex Drugs & Violence: Fantastic punk song. The light production undermines it a bit, but it works. Great harmonies, even better lyrics. I love the sentiment behind the chorus, another great "question everything" statement from the band. Bonus points for Mike Dirnt vocals, more Mike is always a good thing. Gimme gimme danger. 9/10

Little Boy Named Train: Loving that bouncy riff. Reminds me of the Bouncing Souls. Tre is is full swing here once again, and the band puts together a very rhythmic and effective melody. Lyrics are damn good. Mikes bass once again is a force to be reckoned with. Is it another punk song? Yes, but it's a damn good one. 8/10

Amanda: I'm so conflicted about this song. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, but I think I ruined it for myself by listening to the live bootleg too much. I miss that fucking awesome intro riff, and I feel that the background chords aren't really necessary. But otherwise Billie's singing is very passionate and the bridge riffs/solos are some of their best. I need to just get used to the changes. 7-8/10

Walk Away: Off the first listen the lyrics, vocals, arrangement, chord progression, intro, and build up really impressed me. Familiar yet new. It's great that the band can put together these kinds of epic punk songs, very Who-like. Not a personal favorite, but it's still a damn good song. Could have fit easily on Nimrod, 21st Century Breakdown, and the other albums in between. 9/10

Dirty Rotten Bastards: Cannot be put into words. Go listen to it. 10/10

99 Revolutions: Love the sentiment, the lyrics, and the guitar parts/melody. Great arena rocker, especially with that classic live Green Day ending. 9/10

The Forgotten: I'm not a huge fan of Green Days ballads, and not really into piano ballads or piano driven music at all. I see that it's not trying to be epic, I see what Billie Joe was trying to accomplish with this song, and in the end it really works as a somber closer for this album and the trilogy, a quiet warning to the listener and a great contrast the explosive intro of both this album and the entire trilogy. But still, it has yet to win me over outside of the solo. 7/10

Overall I rate this a solid 8-9/10. This perfectly rounded out Uno and Dos, and now I think that all three albums combined are probably in my top 5 Green Day albums, if that makes sense. Musically I think it has been absolutely wonderful, and I can't wait to get the CD in my hands and listen to more awesome random mixes of the Trilogy.

Must say, Dirty Rotten Bastards is one of the greatest songs Billie has ever written.

Just imagine hearing that song played live. Jizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Dirty Rotten Bastards 7/10

Took 2 listens to like this one, but it has that swaggy-pirate feel and I love it. Reminds me of A Quick One, deserves another listen if you don't like it

I was thinking that actually, haha. Meant to post it earlier.

Disagree with some of those, but when I agree with you, I agree strongly. X-Kid and Missing You are amongst Green Day's best songs. Hoping they become live staples.

You were a little harsh on 8th Avenue, but then again I didn't ruin it for myself :P

Agree with your's a little more. Except with Drama Queen. I challenge you not to tap your foot along with the beat :P

X-Kid is amazing. Tre is so much better than I expected, and I had really high expectations anyway!

Now the fact that there's no more albums to get excited over is slowly hitting me...

Agree with your's a little more. Except with Drama Queen. I challenge you not to tap your foot along with the beat :P

Don't get me wrong, I love the rhythm and music behind the song. I just don't know what it is right now, I definitely know that It will be growing on me soon, probably when I get the physical album so I can burn myself a primo copy.

Archived