¡TRÉ!

Liam

Good album, but the lyrics of the trilogy are def the worst of the band's career. Sounds like an 8th grader wrote the lyrics to this trilogy.

i wouldn't say it that strong. but they are the weakest, that is true (maybe on pair with their 1000 love songs in the early 90s). but i think they had the focus on the music this time. in quatro billie says he didn't want to go without lyrics in the studio...

21stCBD is definetly a album which has his highs because of the lyrics. (well some lyrics).

1039/smoothed out slappy hours in comparison is lyrical weak, too but musically just one of the best green day albums (in my opinion, i know many people see that different).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my quick track-by-track review of Tre.

1. Brutal Love - Very reminiscent of the Beatles' Oh Darling but I believe it stands on it's own fairly well. The harmony and horn parts are brilliant, as well as the solo.

2. Missing You - Don't really like this one, thought it sounded pretty generic. Also the vocal melody is really similar to Wild One from Dos. Definitely a skippable track.

3. 8th Avenue Serenade - I really like the vibe this song has. It reminds me of warm summer nights. A very catchy hook indeed. Midtempo pop flavour.

4. Drama Queen - I like the guitar solo, but I've never really been a fan of this song since I saw a video of it live on youtube. Not a bad song but not too notable either.

5. X-Kid - This song is just great, the lyrics are really hard-hitting considering the song's subject matter, and it contains a soaring solo.

6. Sex Drugs and Violence - Another pretty generic song, with the same I fought the law melody they used like 3 times on Uno. Fuck.

7. Little Boy Named Train - Reminds me of old Green Day in a way in terms of it's lyrical content. Mike plays some sweet bass runs in this song that are very welcome. The solo section sounds great too,

8. Amanda - Has the same chords of Sweet 16 in the verses which turns me off a bit, but when it gets to the chorus and the pounding chords that come up after the second chorus it redeems the song to an extent. Still not my favourite by any means.

9. Walk Away - A nice little motivational ballad. Not really my thing, but it's certainly not bad. Mike's harmonies are nice in this song.

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards - Fuck yeah. Reminds me of an old irish jig of some sort at first. Then gets into a sweet punk section and then mind-blowing guitar and bass solos. In finishes with a singalong refrain. By far the best song on the album. There's also another reference to stop when the red lights flash. :P

11. 99 Revolutions - I don't understand why there are so many songs that start the same as this one. I like this one though, it's not great, but it's good.

12. The Forgotten - Kind of derivative, but I like the string section and the guitar solo.

Went through the album song by song and agree with every word here. I like maybe 5 or 6 of the songs, the rest are interchangeable and forgettable, and The Forgotten is absolutely dire. Definitely the worst of the three albums, yet Brutal Love and Dirty Rotten Bastards are probably the best songs of the trilogy.

No Tre Cool songs? WHAT THE FUCK?! I've been waiting for it since the trilogy was announced. Huge letdown. Also, I have to agree that Billie Joe's songwriting fell off quite a bit from 21st

Its better than sex.

That can be debated.

what would you choose, Green Day or sex? You have to give up one. Virgins, get lost, you don't know shit.

No Tre Cool songs? WHAT THE FUCK?! I've been waiting for it since the trilogy was announced. Huge letdown. Also, I have to agree that Billie Joe's songwriting fell off quite a bit from 21st

Rayquaza has a point, I missed Tre's vocals in this.

Its better than sex.

it IS sex. Like, liquid love man. Liquid love. In the form of a bassline.

i'm not going to lisen to it 'cause im masochist. But..is this album good? i'm reading some comment in italian fan's forum and many are sayng that isn't good...maybe the worst CD ever

Here's what I think. First of all, TRE is the best of the trilogy. It has a certain unique feel and is incredibly unpredictable. Tracks quickly evolve and run off the rails that you expect them to follow. Brutal Love is possibly the best song of the trilogy. I't vocal harmonies set the tone and it feels like Armstrong is ripping through his frustrations with biting vocals. Missing You is sweet, catchy and sincere, a theme that follows through the album in the catchy 8th Ave. Serenade, the loving Drama Queen, and another amazing song in X-Kid. This is the best stretch of the album. Sex, Drugs and Violence and Little Boy Named Train sort of make me say "Eh, nothing new", because honestly they don't bring anything new to the table. Filler. Then Amanda comes with it's catchy guitar and great vocal performance, followed by Walk Away which is simple but great. Dirty Rotten Bastards isn't great in my opinion. Maybe I expected another JOS, but it's just not as catchy and unique as I expected. Maybe it'll grow on me. 99 Revolutions is nothing crazy, but this song has been around for a while and does what it needs to do. And it's darn catchy at that. The Forgotten closes the trilogy with a beautiful piano ballad.

Best Tracks:

Brutal Love

Amanda

X-Kid

(there are more great songs but I kept it to my favorite three)

i'm not going to lisen to it 'cause im masochist. But..is this album good? i'm reading some comment in italian fan's forum and many are sayng that isn't good...maybe the worst CD ever

It's miles beyond Uno and Dos and probably a few other Green Day CD's. Hard to believe anyone could say worst ever. It saved the whole trilogy for me.

Tré is imo the best album in the trilogy

my favorite songs are 8th ave serenade,X-Kid,Sex Drugs and Violence and Little Boy Named Train

I haven't heard it yet, but since the Trilogy thread's closed (Thanks for that, guys) ...

How on earth is Forgotten supposed to become a hit when it plays as the second song in the credits after the lights go on and everybody's freaking eaving? I was about to leave as well (after I sat through the whole credits and thought that it's, for some weird reason, not gonna come) until I realized that it's on. :dry:

Fuck everything else Brutal Love is the best song they ever released.Maybe except from JOS but still...

Italians don't know shit :P

but I think it's a good album :)

Rayquaza has a point, I missed Tre's vocals in this.

In hindsight, I think they could've put him on lead vox on Troublemaker, or for comedic effect, doing Lady Cobra's raps on Nightlife. :D It would certainly change the way people have bashed those two songs (although I really like the former).

it IS sex. Like, liquid love man. Liquid love. In the form of a bassline.

Exactly. Eargasms at its best.

Fuck them! I'm italian and i think it's great!!!

I liked 8th Ave. Serenade, Drama Queen, X-kid, 99 Revolutions and The Forgotten. The rest will have to grow on me.

On first listens my favourite was DOS then UNO then TRÉ.

X-Kid might well be my favourite song from the trilogy though.

O.O ok does anyone else hear Shoplifter in Dirty Rotten Bastards around 4:23? sing the lyrics of Shoplifter to the guitar. *mind blown*

Archived