¡TRÉ!

Liam

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After listening to Drama Queen many times over now, anyone else think it's about a young girl killing herself?

She is so wild and reckless - she overreacts

There goes my drama queen - she's gone

She dangles from her necklace - self-explanatory

She's old enough to bleed now - as others have said, she's no longer innocent or naive, perhaps a reference to cutting herself

Her life has now unfolded - it's over

Well did she find her savior? - self-explanatory

Just the kind of vibe I get from it... idk

He doesn't say "wild and reckless"; he says "wet and reckless". I'm not sure myself but I had heard that it was about self destructive celebrities. The lines about "better call a lawyer" and "out of a magazine" certainly hold up that idea, though. And 'everyone's drama queen' like it is a person who "belongs" to everyone.

I find it cool and catchy, it's personal, a subjective point of view. If you think it's overrated, that's your opinion, not a fact.

Why so bitter? I never said it was a fact. The post you quoted even said it was just an opinion.

Why so bitter? I never said it was a fact. The post you quoted even said it was just an opinion.

Then don't state it like it is a fact unless you're ready to back up your post.

Then don't state it like it is a fact unless you're ready to back up your post.

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from...every post I made about the song said it was an opinion. It's not like I'm even bashing the song either, I said I liked it several times.

You had a bad day today or something? Chill out.

Um, he did. He even changed what he said when you pointed out that the word overrated shouldn't really be used in regard to music. :P He's just posting normally and is being probably more considerate than most of the posts in this thread!

And why should he be considerate instead of standing up for what he said?

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from...every post I made about the song said it was an opinion. It's not like I'm even bashing the song either, I said I liked it several times.

You had a bad day today or something? Chill out.

I'm arguing, disagreeing with you. It's not like you have to answer if you don't have to :P

And why should he be considerate instead of standing up for what he said?

I'm arguing, disagreeing with you. It's not like you have to answer if you don't have to :P

I'm all for discussion, it just seems like you're attacking me for reasons that make no sense

I'm all for discussion, it just seems like you're attacking me for reasons that make no sense

Sorry if it seemed that way, and yeah, bad day. I lost 2 pokemons in my nuzlocke. :P

But either way, I hope to see more DRB hype, but it's kind of like Nightlife in a way, not for everyone, some people loathe it and some love it. Sorry I got aggressive, next time it happens (it will) ask me to take a chill pill and I'll take the hint. C:

Sorry if it seemed that way, and yeah, bad day. I lost 2 pokemons in my nuzlocke. :P

But either way, I hope to see more DRB hype, but it's kind of like Nightlife in a way, not for everyone, some people loathe it and some love it. Sorry I got aggressive, next time it happens (it will) ask me to take a chill pill and I'll take the hint. C:

No problem. And it's not that I don't like the song, I really enjoy it. I just don't get the epic vibe that a lot of people are saying about it.

DRB is the very definition of a grower to me. At first it was bland and boring, but then as I listened to it I started really hearing all the parts and it just kinda took over my head in a sweet way.

At least DRB has a lot of stuff going for it. It's all over the place, it's numerous different tempos and styles in one, and is a bit of a throwback to Homecoming in the way it goes through these bits whilst also allowing each of the band members their own time to shine. It's Missing You that I don't understand the love for. As far as I can see Billie-Joe's been shitting out catchy pop rock numbers like that for the last 20 years, what makes this one so special? It would be like someone saying Castaway was the best song on Warning or She's A Rebel was the best from American Idiot.

One song that I haven't been able to fall for completely is DRB. Like, it's good and I do like all of the parts and enjoy listening to them, but I don't get the same epic vibes as everyone else. To me, it sounds like a handful of songs (that could've all been stand-alone tracks on the trilogy) thrown into one. Nothing special about it. The other "rock opera" style songs (not saying that this is a rock opera, just using as name for that multi part style) are paced better, and follow a story which gives the fact that they're "operas" a point, but I don't feel that with DRB. The point is that it's one massive jam, I suppose, but that's about it and that idea doesn't really do it for me.

I agree with you on this. I really love the middle section "Julianna Homicide" and "California's Burning" and the Carried Away part is good too but overall the transitions seem a bit forced. It is kind of cool that it is just a crazy mash up but overall not one of my favorite Green Day songs. Also, if I could only hear one of their multi-part suites live it would not be this one, and I think it will be on this next tour

I pre-ordered the deluxe box set of the trilogy and received both UNO and DOS on the day of release... its been a week since TRE came out and still have not received it... this is very strange... either it was lost in the mail or the change in release date did not alter the shipping so i might not be getting until January... has anybody else received theirs?

Billie Joe had said in an interview that X-Kid was about a friend's suicide. His friend Brando he grew up with in Rodeo, had committed suidice in August of 2009.

I know this background but I am understanding how the lyrics fit in more deeply with this story. Lines such as "I fell in love, but it didn't catch your fall." I am trying to interpret the meanings behind these words and how Billie reflected on himself through this event. I absolutely love the song, not even sure why. It gives me chills knowing that story behind it. It is one of the hardest for me to understand though. I enjoy the challenge of grasping such a great song :happy:

^ Yeah, I've always assumed it's about celebrity too. The sweet melody to me seems almost sarcastic. It's like he's saying oh there she goes again, this spoiled, plastic girl. Isn't she cute. The only thing I'm not totally sure of is whether or not he means she's actually hurting behind closed doors, or whether he's being sarcastic again, making a joke out of her so-called problems.

Knowing the way he seems to like double meanings, it's probably a little of both, depending on your mood. But I can totally see what you're saying about the sarcastically sweet.

I pre-ordered the deluxe box set of the trilogy and received both UNO and DOS on the day of release... its been a week since TRE came out and still have not received it... this is very strange... either it was lost in the mail or the change in release date did not alter the shipping so i might not be getting until January... has anybody else received theirs?

Well they had to push things ahead to keep the release date right, so there could definitely be delays for some people... The actual date of release was changed but they weren't able to get everything ready as early as they would have done.

I know this background but I am understanding how the lyrics fit in more deeply with this story. Lines such as "I fell in love, but it didn't catch your fall." I am trying to interpret the meanings behind these words and how Billie reflected on himself through this event. I absolutely love the song, not even sure why. It gives me chills knowing that story behind it. It is one of the hardest for me to understand though. I enjoy the challenge of grasping such a great song :happy:

Well, lets look at some lyrics man!

Let's look at the title and pre-chorus line, that's our biggest hint: X-Kid. This is a play off the phrase "Ex-Kid", meaning that this person never really grew up, they're not a mature adult, just a grown person that used to be a kid; "a boy trapped in the body of a man", if you will. So right there we understand that the song is describing someone juvenile, a person who's an adult but doesn't act like/feel like one. This is immediately described in the songs opening lines: "Hey little kid/did you wake up late one day/you're not so young/but you're still dumb"

"And you're numb to all your glory/now it's gone"- To me, this describes the way the Ex-Kid has ignored their life; they kept trying to emulate the past and keep living young, to the point where they forgot about what made their youth great in the first place ("numb to all your glory"). Now his past truly is gone, he's gotten to the point where he can't remember it or relive it, which completely eliminates how and why hes living his life this way in the present.

The line you mentioned, "I fell in love, but it didn't catch your fall" looks like a couple things to me: 1) The Ex-Kid fell in love but the person they fell in love with left or rejected them, likely because of their immaturity. And 2) the fact that the line says "I fell in love, but it didn't catch your fall" hints that the narrator singing this song relates too or sees themselves in the Ex-Kid; however the narrator is still loved by someone or wasn't rejected while the Ex-Kid was.

"Then I crashed into a wall/Then I fell to pieces on the floor/now you're sick to death": Obviously, the rejection or loss of love shattered the life of the Ex-Kid, and it was made even worse by the lack of maturity he had. However, like in the "fell in love" line, the narrator is putting himself in the Ex-Kid's boots and relating to him. It could also be the narrator's reaction to the eventual death of the Ex-Kid and relating that to the shock that the Ex-Kid felt when he was abandoned or rejected by his lover : "Then I crashed into a wall/Then I fell to pieces on the floor."

The Chorus: "Bombs Away/Here goes nothing/ the shouting's over" Obviously the Ex-Kid is taking some sort of risk or leap of faith, this could allude to his suicide. That would explain the line "The shouting's over and out/over and out again", the show is over, there is nothing left to see so it's time to check out and leave, essentially. The Ex-Kid sees that the party is over, he hasn't grown up, and he's always lived his life in a risky way, so here goes nothing: Tragically, he kills himself.

Shall I go on to the rest? I want to know if you agree before continuing to the rest of the song.

I listened to Tre with Stray Heart instead of Drama Queen the other day. I was surprised that it really did seem to fit, and gave a slightly different interpretation of the "story" too (This is a totally personal interpretation of course):

Like the first few songs all build up to the narrator's realisiation about how much he needs this new love, how they'll "never part" despite all the difficulties, and how he still can't truly "have" her because she remains forbidden. The contradictions in the song really add to the confusion and emotional battles that follow in the next few songs; and how he talks about her "precious heart was torn apart" adds to the self-loathing and realisations of his mistakes that also follow. My general interpretation is still the same (not a song about cheating but meaning the heart which is now stray went to another a long time ago), but I think it's interesting how it really adds to the general theme of Tre. Not sure if that will even make any sense outside of my reviews but yeah, thought I'd share it anyway.

Also I agree about Dirty Rotten Bastards, I really like it but I don't see it as "epic" or even the best song on Tre (it's probably one of my least favourites, actually). When I first heard it I couldn't enjoy the separate parts because the transitions between them seemed too clumsy. I do love them all now I've got used to it though, although the "carried away" bit could have been left out. Sounds like I'm bashing it but I'm not, I do like it! Just agreeing with the people who said they don't see it as that "epic". Obviously that's all personal opinion.

Archived