¡TRÉ!

Liam

Perhaps I am musically undereducated, but as an American who was not alive at the time of Band Aid, I have never heard the song (although I have heard the title before... I do generally avoid stations that play christmas music of any kind for the most part)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Americans, really? It was massive in the UK but I doubt too many Americans will know of it, it was a charity record.

The Band Aid song played nonstop on radio and MTV in the US

Shit. Dirty Rotten Bastards main bit is ripped from the Band Aid song "Do They Know It's Christmas", especially the one released a few years ago with The Darkness playing electric guitar. Can't unhear it.

I don't hear that at all. I do hear a partial mash-up of the Toreador song (from Bizet's opera "Carmen") and the U.S. Marine Corps anthem (2nd verse, "First to fight for right and freedom/And to keep our honor clean") . Totally ironic -- and TOTALLY Green Day -- to be using uplifting, inspiring music that normally underscores a hero's welcome or the ultimate example of selflessness, honor, and valor as the backdrop for DRB's self-deprecating, Minority-esque celebration of "hey everyone, look at what a fuck-up I am!!"

Bonus points: did you also notice the salute in there that Green Day is handing out to their own Dookie days? The lyric "No one here is getting out alive" is straight out of Having a Blast (props to DJRosstar for catching that on Twitter last night).

I immediately thought of "Havin' A Blast" when I heard "No one here is getting out alive".

In my booklet Billie is credited with lead vocals guitar and drums tre is nowhere to be found?!?! Does anyone else have this?

Wow really? Mine credits Billie with guitar, vocals and piano. And Tre with drums and percussion. Is Tre not even on there? Can you take a pic of it? That's so weird

Missing You has grown on me so much wow.

Song is addicting.

Yeah, it's awesome, I play it with the guitar and it's really fun.

Also, I came here to say that 99 Revolutions has grown on me so much suddenly... Man, this happens with every GD song sometimes.

Guest Trotsky

I don't hear that at all. I do hear a partial mash-up of the Toreador song (from Bizet's opera "Carmen") and the U.S. Marine Corps anthem (2nd verse, "First to fight for right and freedom/And to keep our honor clean") . Totally ironic -- and TOTALLY Green Day -- to be using uplifting, inspiring music that normally underscores a hero's welcome or the ultimate example of selflessness, honor, and valor as the backdrop for DRB's self-deprecating, Minority-esque celebration of "hey everyone, look at what a fuck-up I am!!"

Bonus points: did you also notice the salute in there that Green Day is handing out to their own Dookie days? The lyric "No one here is getting out alive" is straight out of Having a Blast (props to DJRosstar for catching that on Twitter last night).

I have nothing else to add.You said it all with your comment. :)

Missing You is addicting.

Missing You must be a single with video.

I already contributed with my little 2 cents by buying the album on release date so it counts for debut sales :D Plus I don't regret it, it's such an amazing album! Billie was definitely true by saying this one was epic.

Now they should definitely play the trilogy in full, maybe in three nights :D

I'm loving this record so-so much!!! To choose one of them is something I just can't do.
And Brutal Love is... I don't have words for it, really, but first one that comes to my mind when I listen to it is PERFECTION. I'm addicted to it.

When he sings "Something for my troubled mind" I tremble like jelly. I'm waiting for the moment when they perform it live.

I am insanely digging Walk Away since the album came out :wub: It's curious how the songs we didn't know nothing about before the release have turned up to be amongst my favorites in the whole trilogy (i.e Angel Blue, Ashley, Walk Away)

Best album in the trilogy for me :wub: My favourite songs are Walk Away, 99 Revolutions, Missing You and 8th Avenue Serenade but I really love them all :D

When he sings "Something for my troubled mind" I tremble like jelly. I'm waiting for the moment when they perform it live.

Damn, I think the whole crowds ovaries will combust. Including guys non-existant ones :shifty:

Damn, I think the whole crowds ovaries will combust. Including guys non-existant ones :shifty:

Right :shifty: and again, can't wait for that moment...

:whistle

Even though he can sing epicly live I doubt it would be quite so 'tender' sounding.

Even though he can sing epicly live I doubt it would be quite so 'tender' sounding.

That's true. But he has the talent to make it sound different, but even better.

First time I listened to Tre, i didn't think much of Brutal Love.

right now it is one of the best songs i've ever heard and i absolutely love it. strong contender for my favourite song off the trilogy.

Brutal Love is, no offense, a complete ripp-off of probably every jazz/soul track in the sixties

Brutal Love is, no offense, a complete ripp-off of probably every jazz/soul track in the sixties

No offense, they credited the specific artist of the song whose music inspired it.

i see it as more like Green Day's take on soul music of days gone by, and they've done a bloody good job of it :)

right now it is one of the best songs i've ever heard and i absolutely love it. strong contender for my favourite song off the trilogy.

And what's your other contender?

I have the same problem: Stray Heart vs. Brutal Love... oh what the hell :runaround: I LOVE THEM BOTH!!! I just can't choose one

Listening to Tre a lot, it's weird chaotic album and I'm not sure yet if it's cool chaotic or just lazy chaotic.

The Forgotten sounds like it's made to have Good Riddance memorable appeal and Broken Dreams melodic catchyness but fails to accomplish both.

Archived