¡TRÉ!

Liam

Nice covers Matt! I love the Little Boy Named Train one :D It's so good!

After all the trilogy, I'm wondering which songs will be the 'victims' of the acoustic part of the tour. I'm guessing The Forgotten, Missing You, Amy... and more.

I just hope Little Boy Named Train gets played often and full-band. It's SUCH a good, pump-ass and energetic song. I think it should be a single instead of 99 Revolutions, I like it much more and see it as a bigger potential hit.

As of now, I've observed Green Day have left unreleased by now 2 ¡Dos! singles and all ¡Tré! singles. My guess is when they're back after Christmas they will release them (maybe not all 5 but at least some) and then they'll promote them like they deserve. I see this pretty logic, since that way they won't flop that hard and maybe more people will notice Stray Heart and The Forgotten. It's sad how The Forgotten is flopping, because it's such a damn amazingly epic ballad and I think it's much better than Wake Me Up and 21 Guns. At least in studio, because it won't be able to have strings live so it will lose most of its magic I guess, sadly. Its lyrics are pure gold though. I hope they release the singles they were planning too because Amy, STWTRLF, 8th Ave Serenade and X-Kid could be great hits imo. Not sure about 99 Revolutions however.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...um what? Brutal Love is credited to Sam Cooke because it's written in the tune of his song, i.e. the melodies are consciously similar. 21 Guns' melody is used in countless other songs. I don't understand why Radiohead should be credited for Wild One, and those other songs you mentioned don't directly copy the melodies or riffs from other songs (the band stated that they used the round bassline from The Kinks in Warning as a tribute because it fit the songs, everything else from the chord progression to the melody is completely different).

I wasn't saying they should be quoted or that they are copies. I was saying if David Bowie gets credited why not those other artists.

And I don't think they will play Brutal Love at least not often because it won't really fit with their older songs. Billie could do it on his piano at the end but I think you are more likely to see Drama Queen, Amy and the forgotten at the end of the shows. If you lead off with it all you can play after it are songs from Tre really. I just don't see it meshing well with past songs. It is however enjoyable on the record.

I agree with almost everything you said, but a special tour based on one album? I don't see that happening, not everyone loves the same album.

Man, just analyzing the lyrics to Sex, drugs and violence and it is a really deep and reflective song IMO.

Yeah all tres songs blow me away lyrically much more so than the rest of the trilogy. There a few exceptions but much less so than with uno and dos.

Missing You is fucking killing me today, it's like the best kind of hurt.

And holy fucking shit, I only noticed it today, but the backing vocals on X-Kid are fucking orgasmic. Especially on the last chorus.

I was listening to The Forgotten this morning while preparing breakfast and it brought some tears to my eyes. It's quite a beautiful song!

Does anyone else notice that the beginning of Dirty Rotten Bastards is from the chorus of Toreador from the opera Carmen? It sounds so different but amazing :)

99 Revolutions is a huge nostalgic trip back to the secret London show. Holy hell it made the hair on my neck stand up.

For me these are Paris and Berlin shows! I love to listen to 99 rev and pretend i'm at a gig :happy: Hope GD will play it live again.

Does anyone else notice that the beginning of Dirty Rotten Bastards is from the chorus of Toreador from the opera Carmen? It sounds so different but amazing :)

True, only the VERY beginning.

Has anyone figured out what the chorus of Sex, Drugs and Violence means?

I interpret that, when BJ sings that thing of "I need to regress to Sex Drugs and Violence, English, Math and Science", he is talking about going back to a time where life was simple, where all you cared about was Sex, getting high...and, when he sings about those school subjects it is like referring to school days, when all you had to worry about was exams and passing those subjects, with no "adults worries".

Any other ideas?

It does make sense to me. I also thought that. I mean, Whatsername is better than Amanda (for me at least). And I think such a 'reveal' should have a more epic song overall. I agree.

Whatsername was a lot better, and with that Good Riddance. But the title song Amanda just didnt have that excalmation that I was hoping for when I heard they recorded it and put it on the trilogy. I feel it should of had a Dirty Rotten Bastards vibe to it.

Whatsername was a lot better, and with that Good Riddance. But the title song Amanda just didnt have that excalmation that I was hoping for when I heard they recorded it and put it on the trilogy. I feel it should of had a Dirty Rotten Bastards vibe to it.

He's written almost a dozen songs about her, does he really need to write a 7 minute, multi-part rock opera epic for her too? I feel like "Amanda" was the perfect song for her. The chorus seems to sum up their relationship so well: "Is this a love that only hate could understand? Amanda, I couldn't be your man."

Some of the vocal treatments bug me a bit. The chorus of 8th Avenue Serenade and just has way too much reverb or echo and there are a few others that use a similar sound that I am not a big fan of. I'm all for using different vocal treatments when the song calls for it as in the super clean Drama Queen and Sweet 16, and I like the double-tracking and the little delay Billie uses a lot but it overwhelms me on a few of this album's tracks.

Amanda has been stuck in my head so much! Its not one of the best for me, and I was expecting more lyrical content but its just so damn catchy! Also I love the chorus lyrics!

I got Tre today as I ordered on pre-sale Tre with box for the whole trilogy. They should have delivered it on Monday. However, it was worth to wait, put record in my laptop connected with my hi-fi system (it's a bit broken down and sometimes I can't take back CDs from it). When I heard Brutal Love I sat in the middle of the room and looked hipnotized on my hi-fi. This song is epic. The whole album made me think about me listening to Waring for the first time. I was and still am very impressed. Billie was right, this record is epic and I'm not quite sure, if Warining is still my fav record. Drama Queen reminds me a bit "Er denkt, sie denkt" by Die Toten Hosen, but is ok for me. I love both of these bands and I am always happy, when I catch some similarities. By now my favorite song is Dirty Rotten Bastards.

At first, when I see the Tré tracklist I was afraid because a lot of titles "sounded" like ballad title (Brutal Love, Missing You, Drama Queen, Walk Away, The Forgotten, ...) but Tré is amazing and doesn't have any boring songs :D (I don't like Drama Queen that much but it'scatchy anyway ^^)

Has anyone figured out what the chorus of Sex, Drugs and Violence means?

I interpret that, when BJ sings that thing of "I need to regress to Sex Drugs and Violence, English, Math and Science", he is talking about going back to a time where life was simple, where all you cared about was Sex, getting high...and, when he sings about those school subjects it is like referring to school days, when all you had to worry about was exams and passing those subjects, with no "adults worries".

Any other ideas?

Good interp. I think he's also referring to a regression back to the behaviors (recklessness, irresponsibility, and binge drinking/drugging/partying) that he used to survive his high school days. The school metaphor is also a good one for what's recently taught him "the hardest lessons of my life" via his most recent fall off the wagon.

Did anyone notice the back cover of Tre for the CD and the book- on has Xs on Tre's eyes and one doesnt. I hate that

Can you be more clear? are you talking about all three albums or just tre? On the back covers, only Lady cobra has one X and no one else on the backs have any X's.

Can you be more clear? are you talking about all three albums or just tre? On the back covers, only Lady cobra has one X and no one else on the backs have any X's.

Tre. On the back picture. On the CD, the picture of him doesnt have Xs, on the book from the box set, there are Xs on his eyes

Sorry, my first post was written on my phone

It is unreal how much I love 99 revolutions, (haven't heard the whole album, but I thought I deserve a listen of a full song due to me behaving so well :)) I mean, 99R is not the most loved on the album, but hell , it's so catchy and summery it's unbelievable. Definitely on top of my summer playlist when it comes to June/July/August. Such a tune!!! :D

didn't know where to post this, but, i got my email for my digital download of Tre, and they sent me the clean version of the album. anybody else get this?

Heard the album a couple of times, it's significantly different from Uno and Dos.

50$ says Missing You was written back to back with Fell For You or they were both the same song at one point. Other than the look-alike lyrics, "You're not around and I am a complete disaster" has a very similar melody to "You crash in my imagination too".

I can't enjoy Dirty Rotten Bastards until I somehow delete any memory of Shoplifter from my mind, it's unbelievable and also a shame cause it seems to have been written with the intention of being a tad special and different from the other songs on the trilogy. I remember I thought another trilogy song from Uno or Dos that I thought sounded like Shoplifter as well, Bastards is even more though.

Brutal Love and The Forgotten are obviously meant to have this grand sound to them and verging on epics, neither song clicked with me yet, no memorable melodies, lyrics or arrangements IMO. But it's too early to judge how they'll grow on me.

X Kid and Sex Drugs & Violence are nice, catchy and light Green Day tunes, I enjoy them.

Billie's vocals in general is better on this album than the last Uno and Dos though, for the most part. He doesn't do that singing from the back of his throat thing that he did on Foxboro album and a lot of tracks from Uno and Dos. And he also didn't hit very high notes that he can't perform live which is something he's done at least ones on Uno and Dos but I can't remember which song. An example of what I'm talking about would be the chorus of album version of 21 Guns, that high note.

Welp, I now officially have a least favorite GD album. It hurts my heart to say this, but most of the songs feel completely uninspired to me, and some of the lyrics are remarkably bad. Dirty Rotten Bastards and X-Kid are shining gems, but overall I am severely underwhelmed.

I don't think brutal love or see you tonight will ever be played live. Especially if Sam Cooke was credited on Brutal Love. And I still don't know whether that is true or not cause it didn't say it in the cd booklet. I think someone said it was on Wikipedia? I mean horseshoes and handgrenades was said to be a copy of another punk band's song, so that is prolly why they never played it live. And I don't believe for one second they credited David Bowie with 21 Guns. It just isn't close enough to All The Young Dudes. I mean if David Bowie was credited why wasn't Radiohead credited with Wild One or why weren't other artists credited with Warning, Pieces of Truth, American Idiot, and I am sure a few others. However I think it is a cool idea to do it for someone who has passed as a tribute. But some say, at least wait till I die before you copy my music. So who knows, some may take exception if in fact Cooke was credited. And I'm pretty sure green day hates radiohead so I doubt they would ever do such a thing for them.

As far as live intros they would prolly do an older song like Welcome to Paradise, maybe Dirty Rotten Bastards? Idk. I have a feeling a lot of these songs will never be played live on a world tour. Songs like 8th Ave, Loss of Control, and others we may only see in videos live from secret shows played previously. It will be interesting tho to see what kind of setlists they come up with. Wish they would do Dos with Stop Drop and Roll songs as the foxboro hot tubs. A Tre and Nimrod tour would be cool too. Play both those albums live in their entirety and then add a few extra greatest hits.

It specifically credits Sam Cooke in the booklet (at least in mine), in the fine print at the bottom, where it says "All music by Green Day, except 'Brutal Love', by Billie Joe Armstrong and Sam Cooke". I'm thinking they directly took the music from the song, with the intention of tribute, and added their own stylings; whereas for the other songs you name, I'm guessing they did not have specific songs in mind, nor that they were attempting to use others' songs, and that similarity is coincidental, enough for a slight 'nod' but not anything worth crediting someone for.

I can't say that "most" of these songs will never be played live. Though I doubt Welcome to Paradise (as an opener)... Maybe, I mean, it could be, but that's what they did in the 90s.

He's written almost a dozen songs about her, does he really need to write a 7 minute, multi-part rock opera epic for her too? I feel like "Amanda" was the perfect song for her. The chorus seems to sum up their relationship so well: "Is this a love that only hate could understand? Amanda, I couldn't be your man."

Agree completely.

Welp, I now officially have a least favorite GD album. It hurts my heart to say this, but most of the songs feel completely uninspired to me, and some of the lyrics are remarkably bad. Dirty Rotten Bastards and X-Kid are shining gems, but overall I am severely underwhelmed.

Really after DOS?

Archived