¡TRÉ!

Liam

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once you work out the story to 21st Century Breakdown you will understand why it's Green Days supreme work and why they called it the album of their lives. It takes time to decipher all of the lyrics and how the characters interact. I don't think it helps that the band tried to leave the album up to interpretation just like American idiot. 21cb needed more elaboration. The idiot story was not nearly as complex.

It's funny how I've read quite a but of bashing on tre and it was suppose to be the album that blew our minds. :P I haven't taken a listen but I'm pretty sure I'll love it.

Once you work out the story to 21st Century Breakdown you will understand why it's Green Days supreme work and why they called it the album of their lives. It takes time to decipher all of the lyrics and how the characters interact. I don't think it helps that the band tried to leave the album up to interpretation just like American idiot. 21cb needed more elaboration. The idiot story was not nearly as complex.

I've loved 21cb and have listened to it for years, but it was only over the summer that the storyline came together for me and it was like I was listening to the album for the first time. It is one hell of an album, but not my favorite. I think that speaks to how talented Green Day are that they can put out top notch music over the span of 20 years.

I can't believe I've held off listening to Tre besides one listen of Brutal Love!

Hopefully somewhere stocks it a day early over here in Aus land... :dry:

iTre! has more mature, subtle take on Green Day's classic sound on a few tracks.

Missing You, Walk Away, Amanda. Also, when you listen to the album for the first, you have to wear headphones, you won't pick up a lot of the little sounds without them, and the guitars sound a lot more powerful.

I agree with this so much I wore headphones as well and the album blew me away im so glad I did.

I agree, i think the lyrics are overlooked so much here...like in "Christians Inferno", "21st century breakdown" and "Before the lobotomy" but it is pretty hard to find the narrative in the album, thats for sure

I think what's most interesting about Tre is that, with the exception of a few sourpusses here, we basically have a unanimous GDC consensus on the epicness of the top 3 songs on Tre: Brutal Love, DRB, and X-Kid (in no particular order)... I feel like there wasn't such a definitive awe with any other songs on the trilogy up until this point, perhaps with the exception of Stray Heart and Lazy Bones. But then there's been a lot of unanimous underwhelmed-ness regarding the middle section of the album, but we're all so dazed by the pizazz of the Big Three and a few other personal favorites that differ (Missing You, 8AS, SD&V, take your pick) that we are COMPLETELY forgiving. As in, I don't really care that Little Boy Named Train bores me to DEATH and that I cringe at some of the lyrics on SD&V because I'm so impressed by the other parts of the album. Which is the opposite of how I felt listening to Uno and Dos, where maybe I wasn't shitting myself with glee over how awesome a bunch of the songs were, so I was just in a chronic state of "this is all kind of good... some of these are irritating me." I'm much more forgiving of filler on Tre than I was on the previous albums.

Not at all - and I wouldn't say Fanboy in the least. I've worked in the music industry for 5 or 6 years now,producing records and managing a few bands. I've done promotional work for Roadrunner Records and Victory Records as well. Lil Wayne would never make it to Broadway,or a film because his lyrics aren't of that caliber The Grammys' are a joke,but an accolade worth mentioning nonetheless. One Direction don't write their own music or songs, so that still negates the point of lyricism which was my main point. Green Day are far from my favorite lyricist and that's exactly my point. However I won't say that Billie Joe is a bad songwriter or juvenile. Because even though some of his lyrics are just that,he's already proven himself to be a diverse force-to-be reckoned with in the music world. I'd refrain from insulting me or putting me in a group of people who blindly follow musicians because assumptions are pretty detrimental to ones "argument." Which is pointless,i'm not arguing. I'm content with you thinking whatever you WANT about Green Days' new album or lyrical ability,because in the end - that's all I can do is say my opinion which happens to be opposite of yours. Neither wins,so let's call it a moot point. it's called an opinion people! An opinion, an option you choose on feelings of a certain situation or event!

But yet Wayne has been approached to be in a play bout Cash Money (Cotez and Baby have turned it down) so shows what you know..

I agree that the story on 21CB is very interesting especially in terms of recurring themes and imagery. However, I feel like a lot of the lyrics are forced on the album. KYE is probably the best example of Billie using some buzz political words rather than his usual straight to the heart lyrics. I just find it to be a bit too abstract to relate to. However, I still love a lot of the connections drawn between the songs. Also, progression-wise it sits at the top of the Green Day list with Warning for most complex progressions (albeit both albums have some very standard progressions). Also I think in terms of utilizing the studio there is some really interesting stuff going on in the background layers of Breakdown. The only issue with the album for me is that it has a few very weak songs and I don't find many weak songs in the Green Day song catalogue. It just seems like they picked the songs that fit the story rather than the songs that were the best of the (I think) 45 ish that they wrote, which is understandable I suppose since it is a rock opera. However, there are quite a few songs that are meh, and even a few I dislike. But we both digress from the subject of this thread haha

I agree that the story on 21CB is very interesting especially in terms of recurring themes and imagery. However, I feel like a lot of the lyrics are forced on the album. KYE is probably the best example of Billie using some buzz political words rather than his usual straight to the heart lyrics. I just find it to be a bit too abstract to relate to. However, I still love a lot of the connections drawn between the songs. Also, progression-wise it sits at the top of the Green Day list with Warning for most complex progressions (albeit both albums have some very standard progressions). Also I think in terms of utilizing the studio there is some really interesting stuff going on in the background layers of Breakdown. The only issue with the album for me is that it has a few very weak songs and I don't find many weak songs in the Green Day song catalogue. It just seems like they picked the songs that fit the story rather than the songs that were the best of the (I think) 45 ish that they wrote, which is understandable I suppose since it is a rock opera. However, there are quite a few songs that are meh, and even a few I dislike. But we both digress from the subject of this thread haha

I agree with this. On 21CB, Billie tried a little TOO hard with the lyrics. On the trilogy, it's like he didn't try at all, which was hit or miss considering he's got some natural poetic talent but is no lexicon and could still use some self-editing and review. He just let it all come out like word vomit, and sometimes it was nice because he had just eaten a gourmet meal, but other times you're seeing the remnants of a Big Mac and it is naaaaaasty. (Bad analogy. You get my point.) Thankfully there are a lot of redeeming melodies and hooks. Hopefully the next album (and I do hope, and think, it will be just the ONE at a time from now on) he will do the same kind of from-the-heart writing, but polish it up a little, like on albums AI and earlier.

Yeahhh so Mike's voice in Sex, Drugs & Violence doesn't do it for me. I know it's not meant to be taken seriously but it just sounds so weird.

I agree that the next album is going to be lyrically amazing. Between this "mid life crisis" we infer he's going through and the rehab experience, it's going to be legendary.

Yeahhh so Mike's voice in Sex, Drugs & Violence doesn't do it for me. I know it's not meant to be taken seriously but it just sounds so weird.

The whole song doesn't do it for me. It wasn't too bad until the chorus kicked in. "English, Math and Science" just sounds so corny and terrible. I almost physically cringed when they kept saying it. Other than that one song, the rest of the album is just... wow.

The whole song doesn't do it for me. It wasn't too bad until the chorus kicked in. "English, Math and Science" just sounds so corny and terrible. I almost physically cringed when they kept saying it. Other than that one song, the rest of the album is just... wow.

Yeah I really don't like the chorus, it makes no sense to me at all, but the rest of the song is ok.

My ONLY flaw with 8th Ave Serenade is that there should have been drumsticks beating during that pause in the beginning. like music-music-music --- *tick tick tick*---music-music-music

My ONLY flaw with 8th Ave Serenade is that there should have been drumsticks beating during that pause in the beginning. like music-music-music --- *tick tick tick*---music-music-music

Or 2.4.5.6.7.8, either way I love that riff. That and 99 Revolutions are my favourite riffs of the trilogy.

I agree with this. On 21CB, Billie tried a little TOO hard with the lyrics. On the trilogy, it's like he didn't try at all, which was hit or miss considering he's got some natural poetic talent but is no lexicon and could still use some self-editing and review. He just let it all come out like word vomit, and sometimes it was nice because he had just eaten a gourmet meal, but other times you're seeing the remnants of a Big Mac and it is naaaaaasty. (Bad analogy. You get my point.) Thankfully there are a lot of redeeming melodies and hooks. Hopefully the next album (and I do hope, and think, it will be just the ONE at a time from now on) he will do the same kind of from-the-heart writing, but polish it up a little, like on albums AI and earlier.

Agreed. I think part of it was just the sheer number of songs they had. When you have 80 songs its gonna be hard as shit to edit them all to lyrical perfection. And I also think the limited time they spent recording effected the lyrics as well. With Breakdown and AI they spent a lot of time recording multiple background parts and that probably provided a decent amount of down time for Billie to work the shit out of his lyrics. As he said in Quatro he doesn't like to go into the studio without lyrics, and I think what happened is he just never got around to revising as much as he did with the last two. Also he probably wanted to go for a much more stripped down lyrical style than AI and 21CB to avoid creating too much of a narrative, however, there are some real bad clunkers scattered throughout the trilogy.

Also, on a bit more of a controversial note, I think Billie has gotten so used to spreading stories out across albums with AI, 21CB and even Stop Drop and Roll that he sort of lost touch with creating smaller stories within songs like he did for most of his career up until then. But that is just my theory. I do hope that on future albums he can reconnect with that ability because if they do a single album, I am going to hold him to much higher standards lyrically.

It's a shame too, because I really like the tune and lyrics of that song up until the English Math and Science part, it kinda ruins it.

Also, on a bit more of a controversial note, I think Billie has gotten so used to spreading stories out across albums with AI, 21CB and even Stop Drop and Roll that he sort of lost touch with creating smaller stories within songs like he did for most of his career up until then. But that is just my theory. I do hope that on future albums he can reconnect with that ability because if they do a single album, I am going to hold him to much higher standards lyrically.

That's an interesting observation. I'm sure it's not a conscious thing on Billie's part, but at the same time he said things like "I don't even know what the fuck Nuclear Family is about." Now, that's one of my favorite songs on Uno, and the lyrics aren't as bad as many of the others, but the guy should really have a bit more ownership and direction of his own lyrics when he's writing a song, or at least be able to reach some kind of conclusion afterward and maybe go back and enhance the message and clarify it. On the other hand though, I do appreciate how raw and honest the lyrics are... coming straight from Billie's gut with no fancifying... but then you have to come to terms with the fact that part of making art is attending to it AS art, and just because it spews from Billie doesn't mean it's automatically art. I respect what he puts out, but I'd respect it more if I knew for certain he had sat on the lyrics to these songs and pondered their effectiveness. With 37 songs, it would be hard to believe he did, and especially since some of them were "party songs," he probably didn't want to, it would ruin the fun.

Point was, you could tell he felt TOTALLY burnt out from the writing experience of 21CB, and didn't want to relive the torture that was writing that album. So I'll forgive this break. You can tell they had a blast writing and recording, because they didn't work too hard on the intensity factor. Perhaps the songs suffered from it, but I'm not going to blame them after the overcommitment that was the last album.

Archived