¡TRÉ!

Liam

Tré review on Punknews.org: 4 stars out of 5 :woot:

Whether or not you're a Green Day fan, or if you got off the train some time ago, three albums of genuinely inspired songs make it hard to dispute that they're on top of their game. I can't think of another band that is or was this ambitious twenty years after their first commercial success. If you can sound this good letting the initial experience of playing music with your friends be its own reward, the world is less of a miserable place than it was yesterday. At 40, that's commendable.

http://www.punknews.org/review/11718/green-day-tr

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to Tre with Stray Heart instead of Drama Queen the other day.

I should try that, haha.

Also I agree about Dirty Rotten Bastards, I really like it but I don't see it as "epic" or even the best song on Tre (it's probably one of my least favourites, actually). When I first heard it I couldn't enjoy the separate parts because the transitions between them seemed too clumsy. I do love them all now I've got used to it though, although the "carried away" bit could have been left out. Sounds like I'm bashing it but I'm not, I do like it! Just agreeing with the people who said they don't see it as that "epic". Obviously that's all personal opinion.

Haha, matter of opinion XD. Tré wasn't what I was expecting based on its epic talk, but Istill say that it is very well suited to the word, especially DRB. But all of them, really.

What's the exact meaning of "bombs away" in X-kid?

"Bombs away" is a phrase that means the same thing as "go ahead", "let's go", etc. I'm guessing that in the context of the song it's a reference to the suicide itself (like saying 'he just said "bombs away" and did it').

Can I ask, for those people who would consider DRB as "epic", why do you think this? I mean, "epic" can mean just a great song, but really the word means something really poignant and awe inspiring. Something that'll stand the test of time, go down in history, etc. I get that it's a good song but really can't see the "epic" aspect. Would be interesting to know why people think it is. :)

Big, large, a lot going on, massive. Regardless of context or historical meaning, that's pretty much how I interpret it. For DRB and many other songs on ¡Tré!, they get very grand and big, many instruments, many voices, or just a very large sound...

I pre-ordered the deluxe box set of the trilogy and received both UNO and DOS on the day of release... its been a week since TRE came out and still have not received it... this is very strange... either it was lost in the mail or the change in release date did not alter the shipping so i might not be getting until January... has anybody else received theirs?

Yes, got it last Wednesday in the UK. You don't say where you're from. There also a separate thread for 'Box set discussions'.

You should email the Warner store or check your tracking number to see what the situation is.

"Bombs away" is a phrase that means the same thing as "go ahead", "let's go", etc. I'm guessing that in the context of the song it's a reference to the suicide itself (like saying 'he just said "bombs away" and did it').

Thank you! I googled it and found out that it's also a slang term for "heroine" but I don't know if that's what they meant; since this song is about a guy committing suicide it could makes sense but it's just speculation. I like your interpretation better.

I listened to Tre with Stray Heart instead of Drama Queen the other day. I was surprised that it really did seem to fit, and gave a slightly different interpretation of the "story" too (This is a totally personal interpretation of course)

im gonna do that when i get tre on vinyl cause its gonna have the tracks switched on it...

plus i like drama queen on dos because it gives the mind like a clam down period in the middle of the hell party dos is...then its full throttle on Ashley again!

but tre was my "fresh air album due to the fact i had heard most of the songs on uno and dos from like youtube and cell recordings...tre hit me on full blast but all together getting these albums over these few months has been a trip and im so happy with the end result!

I listened to Tre with Stray Heart instead of Drama Queen the other day.

actually as the vinyls came with the wrong songs.. Stray Heart to me it's originally from Tre... which makes the album sound much better... unfortunatelly with this Dos lose one of the greatest songs of it..

Can I ask, for those people who would consider DRB as "epic", why do you think this? I mean, "epic" can mean just a great song, but really the word means something really poignant and awe inspiring. Something that'll stand the test of time, go down in history, etc. I get that it's a good song but really can't see the "epic" aspect. Would be interesting to know why people think it is. :)

didn't we have a debate on whether something was epic or not a few months ago?

Anyway, it's all the layers of music building up for a bum thrust, powerful verse with, as I've already said, catchy hooks and fancy sound effects that really work with Billies style of singing in this song.

The buildup is good and the ending is slow and breaking down the main points of the song with a really heavy sound, to me that's epic.

im gonna do that when i get tre on vinyl cause its gonna have the tracks switched on it...

plus i like drama queen on dos because it gives the mind like a clam down period in the middle of the hell party dos is...then its full throttle on Ashley again!

I really liked Drama Queen on Dos as well, for the same reason. I thought that wouldn't fit either but it sounded great!

To me Stray Heart is on ¡Dos! and Drama Queen is on ¡Tré!. Green Day so decided, so that's it.

Brutal Love has grown on me so much. To begin with, I thought it was good but not album-highlight-good. Now I get goosebumps listening to those guitars come in at the end! Simply awesome. Also, Missing You is my new favourite, taking over X-Kid. Despite it being about kind of a bad situation, I love how happy it sounds. It's like I'm missing you, but not because I can't have you, but because I do and I just can't wait to see you again. :) I love that feeling.

One song that I haven't been able to fall for completely is DRB. Like, it's good and I do like all of the parts and enjoy listening to them, but I don't get the same epic vibes as everyone else. To me, it sounds like a handful of songs (that could've all been stand-alone tracks on the trilogy) thrown into one. Nothing special about it. The other "rock opera" style songs (not saying that this is a rock opera, just using as name for that multi part style) are paced better, and follow a story which gives the fact that they're "operas" a point, but I don't feel that with DRB. The point is that it's one massive jam, I suppose, but that's about it and that idea doesn't really do it for me.

I completely agree with you! I'm sure Brutal Love is the "epic" Billie was referring to when he described how Tre was going to be. It's such a different sound for them and I love how they experiment now and again. I even liked Nightlife (think I'm alone it that though). I love that pounding, driving ending in BL. I also love X-Kid, Missing You and Drama Queen. Actually, also like you, I'm not getting the DRB love. It's too derivative (from another famous opera which I just can't ignore) and doesn't quite gel. Probably my least favourite song of the trilogy. The Forgotten is a lovely way to finish - love it.

Doesn't "Shoplifter" sound a lot like Dirty Rotten Bastards?

There is a melody part that is the same melody as Amy, which again is the same melody as shoplifter.

There is a melody part that is the same melody as Amy, which again is the same melody as shoplifter.

:shok:

This has probably been discussed but looking at the screenshot lyrics to Gabriella on Quatro, where it says "you were crushing my heart like a battering ram" and other lyrics that are now in Amanda, I definitely think "Amanda" is just a name Billie made up to describe this ex-girlfriend, and for a while he was toying with the idea of naming her Gabriella. Hell, Ashley could be the same girl, he just wanted to mix it up.

:lol:

I don't know what's happening, I'm replying to you, Danny, but it's not showing up, AND it changed your smiley to a lol face ._.

Hmm, good question. It got me thinking.

I'd say it's because there are lots of parts to the song, but they sound very different. To me, it feels like the climax of the trilogy, like all the themes and ideas running through the album come to a head. I feel like it's a compilation of rejection, lost love, rebellion, crashing and burning, going off the rails, forbidden love and alcohol and substance abuse, with an overall feel of "I don't give a shit, I'm going to do it my way". It's kind of explosive.

The music that goes with it is awesome. The bass and guitar solos are some of the best GD have ever done. There's a hardcore punk feeling about it and it's extremely catchy at the same time. And by the time it all fades out to "We're carried away...", I feel as though I've gone through a marathon roller-coaster of emotions and music in the past 6 minutes.

I just love it and it's by far my favorite off the trilogy!

I consider DRB epic because of the reprise of the intro section after Juliana Homicide followed by the Homecoming-esque "carried away" ending. It's meant to have that glorious feel and when it goes back to those initial lyrics it gives it a bookend quality that your average song doesn't offer.

At least DRB has a lot of stuff going for it. It's all over the place, it's numerous different tempos and styles in one, and is a bit of a throwback to Homecoming in the way it goes through these bits whilst also allowing each of the band members their own time to shine. It's Missing You that I don't understand the love for. As far as I can see Billie-Joe's been shitting out catchy pop rock numbers like that for the last 20 years, what makes this one so special? It would be like someone saying Castaway was the best song on Warning or She's A Rebel was the best from American Idiot.

Funny you say that, Missing You is one of my favorites on Tre, Castaway is one of my favorites on Warning and She's a Rebel is one of my favorites on American Idiot :P I could proudly say that Castaway is the best on Warning (or Warning).

At least DRB has a lot of stuff going for it. It's all over the place, it's numerous different tempos and styles in one, and is a bit of a throwback to Homecoming in the way it goes through these bits whilst also allowing each of the band members their own time to shine. It's Missing You that I don't understand the love for. As far as I can see Billie-Joe's been shitting out catchy pop rock numbers like that for the last 20 years, what makes this one so special? It would be like someone saying Castaway was the best song on Warning or She's A Rebel was the best from American Idiot.

Missing You is totally catchy and addicting, Castaway is one of my favs from Warning, and I think it's safe to say She's a Rebel is a my favorite song on American Idiot.

Archived