¡TRÉ!

Liam

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cooke was an excellent artist

Sound a bit familiar?

I've been hearing this one in my head since last night:

But I can totally see the Sam Cooke one too (although I was not familiar with his name)

I think TRÉ is my favourite one, not their best album, but there are really good songs, like Dirty Rotten Bastards and X-Kid. UNO and DOS were great, but TRÉ exceeded my thoughts. :P

And I hope the trilogy will become more "valuable" along the years, like it happened with Warning...

Can't wait to hear the whole album, i've listened some songs of ¡Tré! and I wasn't aim to do that because I want to hear ¡Tré! when I got the cd. But I like 'Dirty Rotten Bastards', especially the second part of the song, more punky style, the first part is also great and kinda funny: Here’s to all God’s losers la la la la ley ^^ .. 'Sex Drugs & Violence' nothing wrong with the song, I liked it. '99 Revolutions' great song and keeps stuck in my head everytime I hear it.

I wonder why they were going to include Drama Queen in 21CB, it doesn't fit the album story at all. Luckily they came up with Murder City instead.

Any thoughts?

There's only one problem with Sex Drugs & Violence and that is... WHY CAN'T MIKE'S PART BE LONGER?! I can't stop replaying it :/

Like seriously, when he finally gets to sing lead it's only 10 fucking seconds, you gotta be kidding me. Ridiculous.

I keep listening to Tre and I can't change my opinion about it. I just don't like this album.

Anyone else notice it has a lot The Who references?

I'm just going to throw it out there that all this talk about Tré being the most pop of the 3 is absolute bullshit. The word pop is a catch all term for music that is popular. POP-ULAR So yes, Mozart and Beethoven are pop. Dookie and American Idiot are pop. Metallica's Black Album is pop. I'm sick of people abusing that word. If anything, Tré isn't pop, because it's not popular in the mainstream.

/rant over

Anyway, can we all agree, that in terms of musical ability, Tré is Green Day's best work to date?

pure brilliance... :huh:

I have a gut feel it's trying to convey an idea about going back to basics.. like the 'three r's' but in this case the basics are sex drugs and violence..?. and it rhymes.

and maybe 'safety in numbers.. gimme gimme danger' is echoing a Minority idea? i dunno. it's too soon for me i'm still digesting the songs really.

you got it all right. i think billie wants to say: sex, drugs and violence are essence of life (surely there is irony in it) like english, math and science are the essence of education.

/rant over

Anyway, can we all agree, that in terms of musical ability, Tré is Green Day's best work to date?

Hmm, I haven't decided yet. I need a few months/years to digest it all and see what really sticks.

I don't know that it was people's ignorance that prevented them from enjoying that Dani Filth poem. By that I mean that it might have had more to do with interest. I know very little about Dani Filth, but what I do know seems to suggest that he is a Luciferian, which isn't exactly a relatable subject. And he doesn't really do anything to make it relatable in a lot of his material. That's fine because he doesn't have to, but just saying that people are too dumb to understand misses the point that people just might not connect or be interest. In a sense, I could load up a paragraph with obscure references to Taoism and it might be excellent and made a biting social point, but it's unlikely to draw tons of eager readers due simply to subject matter. Just my thoughts.

This is where you fail. You must think Rammstein are Nazi, correct?

The thing is, newer R&B artists have 0 blues. Identify blues in Rihanna songs. Kanye West. Mariah Carey. "That guy that writes for Bieber". That's not R&B by any stretch of the imagination. And no, I'm not saying one is great because of history, it's simply because I listened to songs and they are well made. Comparing a Madonna classic with Bruno Mars is comparing a perfume with dog poo. Good Pop has been absent for almost as long as I can remember, it is a fact. Today you listen to a bunch of overly recycled songs with hooks made to appeal to your brain, nothing more. Wnat an example? Black Eyed Peas were a good band, doing songs that seemed to be from their heart. Now they just launch recycled crap, songs that appear like most of newer pop. I never liked them to the point of wanting a CD or having their songs on my MP3, but they were still enjoyable. Now they are generic recycled pop.

But I'm tired of this discussion. As I said, people here accuse me of not knowing modern Pop (I have to stand it every day) and don't have any musical knowledge, only to call Dani Filth a Luciferian (maybe it's based on the imagery?). It's not worth. You have a lot of subgenres in Punk to listen to. In Metal. In Rock. But you have a "Musical Degree" when you listen to 5 or 6 pop artists. And this is directed to pretty much the whole forum, not just you.

PS: Kid, I've been waiting for that song you could write in 5 minutes.

I need a few months/years to digest it all and see what really sticks.

This. I really really like Tré though, it seems like the more I listen to it the better it gets. Missing You was kind bleh at first but now I'm starting to love it too. It's a cute simple song and there are several little parts that grabbed my attention. Like that "well she’s my blood and she’s my soul" part is awesome. And I love everything about the "you're not around and I'm a complete disaster" part. I love the way the whole song starts. Also dat bass. And everything else. :lol:

I'm one of those who thought S,D&V lyrics we're kinda corny but thanks to GDC it all makes sense now and I don't mind the english, math & science part anymore.

Awesome how people criticize me for being musically ignorant and then proceed to add "kerrang" magazine quotes. News flash, I haven't read that magazine, ever. I don't listen to other reviews and I don't jump into musical trends. I love how a 14 year old has a temper tantrum over her "awesome" lyrics, saying Jesus of Suburbia has 3/5 of the best lyrics ever written and how AI changed their life. Kid, I've been there 8 years ago. I was your age. You have the right to not like the Trilogy, I don't care. But don't say you can "write a song like this in 5 minutes". You're sounding like my 5 year old brother.

To the other ignorant posters, please refrain from calling me pretentious. Some people here still live in a small box where what people call R&B is really R&B. Spare me, please. Want to listen to good R&B? Go listen to motown's back catalog. Want to listen to some good Hip Hop? Go listen to 2Pac, Eminem, early Snoop Dog. But hey, most american's I've talked to say Jim Morrison wrote lyrics like a teenage boy, so maybe it's a cultural problem. I don't get how people (not talking specifically about this forum) can lower such an important piece of modern music.

It's amazing when I'm being called musically ignorant and most of this forum (no offense) thinks every music genre has the word Pop attached to it (just exaggerating) or doesn't know the difference between Heavy Metal and Punk Rock. Or think Mike and Tre are the best in the world.

One piece of advice: A song is not better because of it's popularity. A lyric is not worse because of complexity or lack of it. Some were unable to understand a Dani Filth poem, calling it pretentious, when it really just tells the story from a classical perspective, with correct and formal english. I still think Metallica's "The Unforgiven" is one of metal's best lyrics ever, even if the poem is apparently simple. Yes, it's the message it delivers, but I must say one loses his argument when gives me a piece of example of a lyric with metaphors used 40 years ago. It's not ground-braking, it's not "the best of ____", it's simply overused and reused. if that is good by your standards, congratulations, you're musically ignorant. Just because people (apparently) have no intelligence to read a more complex lyric doesn't mean it's pretentious.

Amazingly, one of the funniest comments I've read was by a little kid with the screen name of BH_PUNX. A kid so desperately in need to be "PUNK" that needs to, erroneously, connect my comment with "KURT COBAIN is so PUNKX". I really don't care that much about Nirvana, I just like some of their songs, and Kurt's opinions don't speak to me. I simply respect them. And wasn't making any allusion to his person or character. Next time learn how to read properly and don't over extrapolate.

To finish this comment, I simply now most people have no taste when only one or two people liked and understood my comments, followed by a torrent of dementors trying to defend "that artist that writes to Bieber" (Great way to show you're a good writer, really) and Bruno Mars. If you tell me Michael Jackson made good pop, I would say yes (and I hate Pop). If you said Madonna made good pop, I would subscribe to it. Now the guys mentioned above? Just show that most of you guys don't have any taste in music. Go listen to Queen to listen to quality pop (they really made some nice pop songs).

Please put Bruno Mars and "That artist that writes to Bieber" on mute and go listen to some Doors, Tool, Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Opeth... And I forgot to add the Cavanaugh brothers as some of the amazing writers of their generation. And Steven Wilson. And Mikael Akerfeldt.

Oh yeah, pretenius fits perfectly. I'm as far from being a blind Green Day fan as you can be, I also don't think popularity has a sense of an artist's quality. I've got to say you're being a little hypcritical and ignorant yourself, are you not putting R&B in a box and saying this is what R&B can only be? That everything else isn't "real" R&B. And you're whole thing with lyrics is extremelly pretenious. Seriously, you sound like music and lyrics snob. That's what PRETENTIOUS IS. Being an elitist and thinking you're opinion is vastly superior and high browed. God, this comment is almost a self-parody. Also, overly complicated lyrics can kill relatably, you don't need to have an overkill of symbolism and use Greek termonology to be a good lyricist. If you like that type of writing then fine, but it is in no way the best.

P.S. You're like a more prentenious and humorless version of me. :P

I can almost see me in you, but there's a shit load of muddy water to see through.

This is where you fail. You must think Rammstein are Nazi, correct?

I think that BlackBaboon was trying to say that the lyrics could be the best ever, but if something is too complicated then it's difficult to relate to. Take American Idiot for example- in my opinion that has the perfect mix of well written songs, but they're still relatable and hence I connected well with the music and as a consequence it's my favourite album ever. 21CB on the other hand is (in my opinion) a much more complex record and a much greater lyrical feat, however I found it too much so, and I felt disconnected with the songs and I never really got into the album. For some people, being able to relate to the lyrics is as important as enjoying the music itself.

I think a balance needs to be struck between well written and relatability. Not to say that you can't have both, but if something is too contrived and complicated, then I'm not going to get as much out of it, even if the lyrics are the best ever written.

So on that balance scale I think AI was just right, 21CB was too complicated, and many of the trilogy songs are too much towards the simplar end of the spectrum, however, they are very relatable to the majority of fans.

people make music..other people use that rhythm or riff for their music but with different style sound and lyrics..AND COMBINED MAKE SOMETHING NEW..i completely hate the argument "they copied this it makes me sad!" please stop just skip it or something besides being instantly down about it..they are paying homage at least in my opinion

Been listening to Tré for 3 days now... It works MEGAGREAT in trilogy concept but... I can't get enough of it on its own

With clear consience, i can say that my 3. Top albums are

1. Tré

2. American Idiot

3. Uno

______\

4. Nimrod

5. Warning

6. Dos

7. Dookie

8. Insomniac

9. Kerplunk/1.039

After several lstens my favorite songs are:Dirty Rotten Bastards,Brutal Love,8th Avenue Serenade,Walk Away and Sex,Drugs and Violence.

And folks, listening and liking Green Day ain't about that GD are the best band in the world...

Just remember, it's ok to love something little too much as long as it's real to you :)

people make music..other people use that rhythm or riff for their music but with different style sound and lyrics..AND COMBINED MAKE SOMETHING NEW..i completely hate the argument "they copied this it makes me sad!" please stop just skip it or something besides being instantly down about it..they are paying homage at least in my opinion

Yeah,it's ridiculous...Anyway Brutal Love is fucking awesome song and Billie's vocals are AMAZING!! :)

Archived