¡TRÉ!

Liam

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the lyrics on the trilogy isnt on par with AI or 21st but the trilogy is just them letting go having fun

Yeah to comment on the other discussion that's ongoing here, I think as a general rule people favor the idols of their youth. They can move on, but it's tough to replace those sentimental 'firsts' hence Rolling Stone's love of Bob Dylan and The Beatles. Even if something better did come along, they can't admit it because the older acts conjure up such touching nostalgia. This is probably the same reason I strongly prefer Kurt Cobain and Billie Joe to Frank Ocean and Bruno Mars. Frank and Bruno didn't get me through tough times during puberty and adolescence because they weren't around. Kurt and Billie were there, as stupid as that sounds, so I made friends with the music. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't turn my back on the music. I think it's okay to admit our connections and biases without disparaging other people's.

yes, yes, yes. and seeing as kurt wasn't 'too dumb to die' ... may billie joe be the hero of the mid life crisis you might have 20 years from now.

yes, yes, yes. and seeing as kurt wasn't 'too dumb to die' ... may billie joe be the hero of the mid life crisis you might have 20 years from now.

New theory: X-Kid is about Kurt Cobain.

Other theory: Ashley is about the meth addicted biker chick in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Tre is out in Australia! I picked it up today! :dance:

but it's only thursday!

(i'm still waiting for dos from the box set..)

but it's only thursday!

(i'm still waiting for dos from the box set..)

I know right! I was Christmas shopping and came across it in one of the stores and shat bricks! :runaround:

After going back and actually reading the lyrics, DRB has some of the best of the trilogy I think.

Same. I didn't care for the song that much at first, but the lyrics stood out to me as really good.

After going back and actually reading the lyrics, DRB has some of the best of the trilogy I think.

I know some of the lyrics have been broken down somewhere to lots of song references. I'm wondering if there's one for each album, or if it's more random than that?

I've warmed up to both Little Boy Named Train and Amanda. Walk Away is still getting there, but I'm sure I won't mind it. It's definitely the most bland song of the trilogy imo.

This is really off-topic, but that's what I like about Kurt so much. He was never concerned with being something he wasn't or trying to have this image, he just made music and it was nice.

"Little Boy Named Train" is already one of those classic gems for me. "Amanda", I also love. "Walk Away" didn't hit me at first but it's not bland by any means ... imo.

-also... Kurt is an interesting case... he was born into a culture that worshipped rock stars and grew up with one that despised them and then became one himself so on one hand he was trying to be a down-to-earth DIY no-bullshit guy, but also wanted to be the biggest thing in the world. I feel that same sentiment applies to Bille Joe.

Awesome how people criticize me for being musically ignorant and then proceed to add "kerrang" magazine quotes. News flash, I haven't read that magazine, ever. I don't listen to other reviews and I don't jump into musical trends. I love how a 14 year old has a temper tantrum over her "awesome" lyrics, saying Jesus of Suburbia has 3/5 of the best lyrics ever written and how AI changed their life. Kid, I've been there 8 years ago. I was your age. You have the right to not like the Trilogy, I don't care. But don't say you can "write a song like this in 5 minutes". You're sounding like my 5 year old brother.

To the other ignorant posters, please refrain from calling me pretentious. Some people here still live in a small box where what people call R&B is really R&B. Spare me, please. Want to listen to good R&B? Go listen to motown's back catalog. Want to listen to some good Hip Hop? Go listen to 2Pac, Eminem, early Snoop Dog. But hey, most american's I've talked to say Jim Morrison wrote lyrics like a teenage boy, so maybe it's a cultural problem. I don't get how people (not talking specifically about this forum) can lower such an important piece of modern music.

It's amazing when I'm being called musically ignorant and most of this forum (no offense) thinks every music genre has the word Pop attached to it (just exaggerating) or doesn't know the difference between Heavy Metal and Punk Rock. Or think Mike and Tre are the best in the world.

One piece of advice: A song is not better because of it's popularity. A lyric is not worse because of complexity or lack of it. Some were unable to understand a Dani Filth poem, calling it pretentious, when it really just tells the story from a classical perspective, with correct and formal english. I still think Metallica's "The Unforgiven" is one of metal's best lyrics ever, even if the poem is apparently simple. Yes, it's the message it delivers, but I must say one loses his argument when gives me a piece of example of a lyric with metaphors used 40 years ago. It's not ground-braking, it's not "the best of ____", it's simply overused and reused. if that is good by your standards, congratulations, you're musically ignorant. Just because people (apparently) have no intelligence to read a more complex lyric doesn't mean it's pretentious.

Amazingly, one of the funniest comments I've read was by a little kid with the screen name of BH_PUNX. A kid so desperately in need to be "PUNK" that needs to, erroneously, connect my comment with "KURT COBAIN is so PUNKX". I really don't care that much about Nirvana, I just like some of their songs, and Kurt's opinions don't speak to me. I simply respect them. And wasn't making any allusion to his person or character. Next time learn how to read properly and don't over extrapolate.

To finish this comment, I simply now most people have no taste when only one or two people liked and understood my comments, followed by a torrent of dementors trying to defend "that artist that writes to Bieber" (Great way to show you're a good writer, really) and Bruno Mars. If you tell me Michael Jackson made good pop, I would say yes (and I hate Pop). If you said Madonna made good pop, I would subscribe to it. Now the guys mentioned above? Just show that most of you guys don't have any taste in music. Go listen to Queen to listen to quality pop (they really made some nice pop songs).

Please put Bruno Mars and "That artist that writes to Bieber" on mute and go listen to some Doors, Tool, Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Opeth... And I forgot to add the Cavanaugh brothers as some of the amazing writers of their generation. And Steven Wilson. And Mikael Akerfeldt.

Awesome how people criticize me for being musically ignorant and then proceed to add "kerrang" magazine quotes. News flash, I haven't read that magazine, ever. I don't listen to other reviews and I don't jump into musical trends. I love how a 14 year old has a temper tantrum over her "awesome" lyrics, saying Jesus of Suburbia has 3/5 of the best lyrics ever written and how AI changed their life. Kid, I've been there 8 years ago. I was your age. You have the right to not like the Trilogy, I don't care. But don't say you can "write a song like this in 5 minutes". You're sounding like my 5 year old brother.

To the other ignorant posters, please refrain from calling me pretentious. Some people here still live in a small box where what people call R&B is really R&B. Spare me, please. Want to listen to good R&B? Go listen to motown's back catalog. Want to listen to some good Hip Hop? Go listen to 2Pac, Eminem, early Snoop Dog. But hey, most american's I've talked to say Jim Morrison wrote lyrics like a teenage boy, so maybe it's a cultural problem. I don't get how people (not talking specifically about this forum) can lower such an important piece of modern music.

It's amazing when I'm being called musically ignorant and most of this forum (no offense) thinks every music genre has the word Pop attached to it (just exaggerating) or doesn't know the difference between Heavy Metal and Punk Rock. Or think Mike and Tre are the best in the world.

One piece of advice: A song is not better because of it's popularity. A lyric is not worse because of complexity or lack of it. Some were unable to understand a Dani Filth poem, calling it pretentious, when it really just tells the story from a classical perspective, with correct and formal english. I still think Metallica's "The Unforgiven" is one of metal's best lyrics ever, even if the poem is apparently simple. Yes, it's the message it delivers, but I must say one loses his argument when gives me a piece of example of a lyric with metaphors used 40 years ago. It's not ground-braking, it's not "the best of ____", it's simply overused and reused. if that is good by your standards, congratulations, you're musically ignorant. Just because people (apparently) have no intelligence to read a more complex lyric doesn't mean it's pretentious.

Amazingly, one of the funniest comments I've read was by a little kid with the screen name of BH_PUNX. A kid so desperately in need to be "PUNK" that needs to, erroneously, connect my comment with "KURT COBAIN is so PUNKX". I really don't care that much about Nirvana, I just like some of their songs, and Kurt's opinions don't speak to me. I simply respect them. And wasn't making any allusion to his person or character. Next time learn how to read properly and don't over extrapolate.

To finish this comment, I simply now most people have no taste when only one or two people liked and understood my comments, followed by a torrent of dementors trying to defend "that artist that writes to Bieber" (Great way to show you're a good writer, really) and Bruno Mars. If you tell me Michael Jackson made good pop, I would say yes (and I hate Pop). If you said Madonna made good pop, I would subscribe to it. Now the guys mentioned above? Just show that most of you guys don't have any taste in music. Go listen to Queen to listen to quality pop (they really made some nice pop songs).

Please put Bruno Mars and "That artist that writes to Bieber" on mute and go listen to some Doors, Tool, Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Opeth... And I forgot to add the Cavanaugh brothers as some of the amazing writers of their generation. And Steven Wilson. And Mikael Akerfeldt.

Or maybe you just need to get that stick out of your ass and stop talking down on artists just because YOU don't like them...

I don't know that it was people's ignorance that prevented them from enjoying that Dani Filth poem. By that I mean that it might have had more to do with interest. I know very little about Dani Filth, but what I do know seems to suggest that he is a Luciferian, which isn't exactly a relatable subject. And he doesn't really do anything to make it relatable in a lot of his material. That's fine because he doesn't have to, but just saying that people are too dumb to understand misses the point that people just might not connect or be interest. In a sense, I could load up a paragraph with obscure references to Taoism and it might be excellent and made a biting social point, but it's unlikely to draw tons of eager readers due simply to subject matter. Just my thoughts.

For anyone who says the album is too Pop, who cares if its Pop or not? I don't get why people are so prejudiced against certain types of music. I mean it must be because some people are insecure and afraid that they aren't supposed to like a certain sound or genre. As long as the music sounds good then why shouldn't you like it? Just my opinion on the people who say those things.

Sound a bit familiar?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5usKhGz60

Cooke was an excellent artist

Tre is in a few words simply fucking fantastic. Even though it starts off with a somewhat slower song, Brutal Love builds up really nicely and the album never really loses any energy after that song.

Dirty Rotten Bastards gives me ADD each time I listen to it. That song went beyond my expectations. Actually the entire album did, because after Dos I was expecting another "okay well this is a nice album" record with probably 1 or 2 songs I would be skipping.

But now I feel like a complete ignorant moron that I even dared to think something like that based on one album in the trilogy that just does not completely fit to my likings.

The trilogy as a total kind of makes a wonderful thing with Tre completing it. May I even dare to say it is quite epic

I've always loved Sam Cooke. The fact that Brutal Love is basically a ripoff of everything he does is just dandy to me.

I've always loved Sam Cooke. The fact that Brutal Love is basically a ripoff of everything he does is just dandy to me.

I wouldn't say it's a rip off. Similar? Definitely. A flat out rip off? Far from it, if we're going to do that we have to tear down every swing/R&B artist that came after Cooke because they all used variations of that melody at one point or another.

I wouldn't say it's a rip off. Similar? Definitely. A flat out rip off? Far from it, if we're going to do that we have to tear down every swing/R&B artist that came after Cooke because they all used variations of that melody at one point or another.

I love how your sig works pretty much every time you comment.

I love how your sig works pretty much every time you comment.

Does it? I'm worried that it makes me come off as hostile...I just put it because I thought It was funny.

Serious people are funny to me/Funny people seem so serious

Does it? I'm worried that it makes me come off as hostile...I just put it because I thought It was funny.

I still like it.

So i've only had one listen, and it's the first time during the trilogy that I got a bit...bored!

Brutal Love is probably my favourite of the trilogy and DRM blew my balls of but some of these songs just seemed to be green day by numbers and sex, drugs and violence actually made me cringe. I'll have to listen to it a thousand times and see if it grows.

well it might if you were hostile, but you're mostly balanced and funny so that's what comes across

Archived