¡TRÉ!

Liam

The whole song doesn't do it for me. It wasn't too bad until the chorus kicked in. "English, Math and Science" just sounds so corny and terrible. I almost physically cringed when they kept saying it. Other than that one song, the rest of the album is just... wow.

that part just pisses me off. i did cringe.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's so great about Brutal Love?

It's a different kind of Green Day song, and is unique among all the songs of the trilogy. Billie's vocals sound great, the lyrics are decent, the horns sound great, and it has a lot more to it than a lot of the songs from iUno! and iDos!

Ok, just listened to Brutal Love and that alone will satisfy me until I have my copy! That song is THE perfect example of why I'm with this band until the end. I love that Green Day is always about good music and are one of the few mainstream bands who do not box themselves in. No the lyrics are not the most genius and the melody is nothing new here relative to the style of the song, but for stepping out of the box and doing something different for the band, the execution of this song is top notch. I have listened to The Forgotten, but no other official version of any song off of Tre--I have to say BRUTAL LOVE feels like an epic closer. Don't get me wrong--I think The Forgotten has a timeless feel to it, but some of the lyrics verge on being too cheesy for me.

Just gotta say thanks to Green Day right now for always moving forward.

Wait til you listen to it back to back with Amy. Youl know then why they chose it as the opener. Perfect thematic fit.

Who else thinks that part in Missing You, 'And I'm a complete disaster', sounds a bit like 'Making paper planes for a while' in Fell For You?

It's a different kind of Green Day song, and is unique among all the songs of the trilogy. Billie's vocals sound great, the lyrics are decent, the horns sound great, and it has a lot more to it than a lot of the songs from iUno! and iDos!

Damn glory and Jesus bleeding on the cross, you're speaking positively about Green Day.

Brutal Love is honestly the only Green Day song I can really picture people slow-dancing to. I know people use When It's Time and LNOE and all those as wedding songs, and they're definitely more romantic ditties, but this actually has that old-people-can-sway-to-this factor. Not a dis.

Just the ending wouldn't really work, it gets kind of overwhelming :lol:

I agree with this. On 21CB, Billie tried a little TOO hard with the lyrics. On the trilogy, it's like he didn't try at all, which was hit or miss considering he's got some natural poetic talent but is no lexicon and could still use some self-editing and review. He just let it all come out like word vomit, and sometimes it was nice because he had just eaten a gourmet meal, but other times you're seeing the remnants of a Big Mac and it is naaaaaasty. (Bad analogy. You get my point.) Thankfully there are a lot of redeeming melodies and hooks. Hopefully the next album (and I do hope, and think, it will be just the ONE at a time from now on) he will do the same kind of from-the-heart writing, but polish it up a little, like on albums AI and earlier.

The imagery that conjures up..... :sick: ! :D

DRB from 1:50 - 4:24 is the best ever. I can't even.

It's one of the most authentic punk moments Green Day's ever had.... that drum beat... the vocals... I've been listening to a lot of Bad Religion lately and I'm like dude, this is like that... straight up angry awesome punk shit... but it sounds better with the Green Day filter.

Brutal Love made my head explode. On first listen (admittedly I was just home from a bit of a boozy dinner when i heard it for the first time) there were tears streaming down my face. I almost didn't listen to the rest of the album. It felt like that was all i ever needed from Green Day.

In fact, it was like Billie Joe was inside my head and if i had the talent to write a song, this would be it. And it's his soul bared as well. Love is brutal. There are lines in there that are imminently relateable (premised upon BJ's and my souls not being the only damaged ones in the world) and the singing. Well whoever would have predicted that the man who sneered out Longview could belt out this?

The whole song doesn't do it for me. It wasn't too bad until the chorus kicked in. "English, Math and Science" just sounds so corny and terrible. I almost physically cringed when they kept saying it. Other than that one song, the rest of the album is just... wow.

maybe he wrote that part in Joey's room.

Brutal Love made my head explode. On first listen (admittedly I was just home from a bit of a boozy dinner when i heard it for the first time) there were tears streaming down my face. I almost didn't listen to the rest of the album. It felt like that was all i ever needed from Green Day.

In fact, it was like Billie Joe was inside my head and if i had the talent to write a song, this would be it. And it's his soul bared as well. Love is brutal. There are lines in there that are imminently relateable (premised upon BJ's and my souls not being the only damaged ones in the world) and the singing. Well whoever would have predicted that the man who sneered out Longview could belt out this?

It's one hell of a song! I'm in love with it and have shared amongst all that's near and close to me!

So, i need my real download and/or cd of Tre soon so I can listen to this whole thing front to back. The story here is amazing. It up up up, and then dowwwwwwn at the end of Dos and throughout Tre. The implications on the life of the narrator from his epic party is just...wow. Looking at all three, nothing is out of place. The repetition of lyrics and themes is perfect. To all those complaining about lyrics, just know that to me, every word, every repetitive chorus is there for a reason. This trilogy is the best thing Green Day could have done right now.

It's one hell of a song! I'm in love with it and have shared amongst all that's near and close to me!

haha I did the same thing, and I'm gonna keep doing it, same with Brutal Love.

So, i need my real download and/or cd of Tre soon so I can listen to this whole thing front to back. The story here is amazing. It up up up, and then dowwwwwwn at the end of Dos and throughout Tre. The implications on the life of the narrator from his epic party is just...wow. Looking at all three, nothing is out of place. The repetition of lyrics and themes is perfect. To all those complaining about lyrics, just know that to me, every word, every repetitive chorus is there for a reason. This trilogy is the best thing Green Day could have done right now.

This. I love that too, everytime I hear something repeated I sense everything fits perfectly.

GUYS, I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO SEX, DRUGS & VIOLENCE SOOOO MUCH.

SEX, DRUGS & VIOLENCE

ENGLISH, MATH AND SCIENCE

SAFETY AND NUMBERS

GIMME GIMME DANGERRRRRRR

Alright Amanda's growing on me. It's too damn catchy even if they didn't quite capture how it worked live. 8th Avenue Serenade is pretty sweet too.

GUYS, I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO SEX, DRUGS & VIOLENCE SOOOO MUCH.

SEX, DRUGS & VIOLENCE

ENGLISH, MATH AND SCIENCE

SAFETY AND NUMBERS

GIMME GIMME DANGERRRRRRR

What does this chorus mean? Because I don't understand it.

What does this chorus mean? Because I don't understand it.

I don't think we're supposed to :P it's catchy as hell though

Sex = English. You use words to explain how you feel during sex.

Drugs = Math. Gotta know how to count grams, ounces, pounds, and money

Violence = Science. It rhymes. And science built the atomic bomb.

Safety in numbers is a stupid expression. I think it's meant to contradict the next line. Numbers and Danger also kinda rhyme..sorta. They have the "err" sound.

Archived