¡TRÉ!

Liam

I don't think we're supposed to :P it's catchy as hell though

That's honestly the only reason I give it a pass. It sounds good, but it makes no sense at all to me.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sex = English. You use words to explain how you feel during sex.

Drugs = Math. Gotta know how to count grams, ounces, pounds, and money

Violence = Science. It rhymes. And science built the atomic bomb.

Safety in numbers is a stupid expression. I think it's meant to contradict the next line. Numbers and Danger also kinda rhyme..sorta. They have the "err" sound.

pure brilliance... :huh:

I have a gut feel it's trying to convey an idea about going back to basics.. like the 'three r's' but in this case the basics are sex drugs and violence..?. and it rhymes.

and maybe 'safety in numbers.. gimme gimme danger' is echoing a Minority idea? i dunno. it's too soon for me i'm still digesting the songs really.

I like Brutal Love, but I feel like it maybe could have benefited from a little editing. It could have been a four-minute song instead. It reminds me of Rilo Kiley's "I Never," especially the bridge.

I like Brutal Love, but I feel like it maybe could have benefited from a little editing. It could have been a four-minute song instead. It reminds me of Rilo Kiley's "I Never," especially the bridge.

The end drags on for a hauntingly long time, but not nearly as unnecessarily long as Oh Love was. Poor Oh Love, got so much analysis :lol:

I love the part where Billie croons "the flesh on my booooooooones" or whatever. Sigh. Yearning!

What does this chorus mean? Because I don't understand it.

Just an uneducated guess, but there is a theme to it:

Sex, drugs and violence - these are taught to kids to be bad things

Math, English, and Science - these are courses that are taught to kids

Safety in numbers - general safety rule taught to kids

Gimme, gimme danger - rebellion

I'm almost 35 years old, so I use the term "kids" loosely, please no one take offense.

Wtf is up with young people these days? Bruno Mars? Are you seriously comparing Bruno Mars and Frank Ocean with Noel, Kurt, Eminem and Billie? Damn, get those ears checked, learn something about music. Here are two writers better than everybody mentioned (including Billie):

Maynard James Keenan (he is 10 years older but has been around for about the same time)

Dani Filth (read his books and his poems, in and out of Cradle. Just read Funeral in Carpathia or Bathory Aria)

Cheers, listen to something other than pop pls.

Oh jeez. Another typical, closed-minded, "pop music sucks man! Kurt Cobain!!" comment.

Oh jeez. Another typical, closed-minded, "pop music sucks man! Kurt Cobain!!" comment.

Who was extremely pop himself, he admitted it.

The intro to DRB is catchy as hell. I can't get it out of my head. Wow.

Yeah, it was even catchier when it was the chorus of "Chanson du Toreador" from Carmen, an opera by Georges Bizet.

Yeah, it was even catchier when it was the chorus of "Chanson du Toreador" from Carmen, an opera by Georges Bizet.

Did you really have to ruin it for me? :mellow:

I've warmed up to both Little Boy Named Train and Amanda. Walk Away is still getting there, but I'm sure I won't mind it. It's definitely the most bland song of the trilogy imo.

Who was extremely pop himself, he admitted it.

This is really off-topic, but that's what I like about Kurt so much. He was never concerned with being something he wasn't or trying to have this image, he just made music and it was nice.

I'm daring to disagree. It 's way catchier now. :dance:

I posted this several pages back, but thought it would be fitting here. I see a lot of confusion and or disdain for the lyrics of Sex Drugs and Violence, which as I stated is the song I think Billie best relates to right now. The whole point of "I must regress to sex drugs and violence, english, math, and science" is the idea of trying to recapture youth at midlife and how it teaches you 'the hardest lessons of your life.' Just like a kid might go back to english math and science from grade school basics, Billie is running toward sex drugs and violence which embody his childhood. However, he took a 'wrong turn at growing up and it's freaking him out.' Whereas trouble used to follow him now he's chasing trouble trying to regain that wild feeling. Since he didn't die young and burnout, 'too dumb to die I guess,' He has to learn the lessons of midlife that he never thought he would. I don't see how people can't appreciate those lyrics even if parts are a little clunky. They're so heartfelt.

I posted this several pages back, but thought it would be fitting here. I see a lot of confusion and or disdain for the lyrics of Sex Drugs and Violence, which as I stated is the song I think Billie best relates to right now. The whole point of "I must regress to sex drugs and violence, english, math, and science" is the idea of trying to recapture youth at midlife and how it teaches you 'the hardest lessons of your life.' Just like a kid might go back to english math and science from grade school basics, Billie is running toward sex drugs and violence which embody his childhood. However, he took a 'wrong turn at growing up and it's freaking him out.' Whereas trouble used to follow him now he's chasing trouble trying to regain that wild feeling. Since he didn't die young and burnout, 'too dumb to die I guess,' He has to learn the lessons of midlife that he never thought he would. I don't see how people can't appreciate those lyrics even if parts are a little clunky. They're so heartfelt.

It's hard to hear the heartfelt when to the casual listener it's just "Wow, that guy was desperate for some phrases and rhymes there." But I see what you're saying, totally.

Yeah to comment on the other discussion that's ongoing here, I think as a general rule people favor the idols of their youth. They can move on, but it's tough to replace those sentimental 'firsts' hence Rolling Stone's love of Bob Dylan and The Beatles. Even if something better did come along, they can't admit it because the older acts conjure up such touching nostalgia. This is probably the same reason I strongly prefer Kurt Cobain and Billie Joe to Frank Ocean and Bruno Mars. Frank and Bruno didn't get me through tough times during puberty and adolescence because they weren't around. Kurt and Billie were there, as stupid as that sounds, so I made friends with the music. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't turn my back on the music. I think it's okay to admit our connections and biases without disparaging other people's.

^^This this this!

I have to completely agree. Just because this band isn't singing about huge political metaphors doesn't mean that the lyrics aren't good, imo.

I think people's main problem with the whole "Sex, drugs and violence, English, math and science" chorus is that it sounds pretty fucking silly. But I'm with you guys, I think they're great lyrics that really do show what he's feeling and I happen to enjoy the cheesy and silly vibe they have.

It's hard to hear the heartfelt when to the casual listener it's just "Wow, that guy was desperate for some phrases and rhymes there." But I see what you're saying, totally.

I can understand that point of view too, but I think one of the best things about sex, drugs, and violence is that it sort of divides these other monumental songs about midlife breakdowns and doesn't really change the topic, but views it in a more self-deprecating and humorous light. Sometimes I like to look at big issues with a little more of a catchy beat and upbeat riff just for variation on perspective.

I swear people find the smallest gripes with songs and just ruin things in their head for themselves...

^^This this this!

I have to completely agree. Just because this band isn't singing about huge political metaphors doesn't mean that the lyrics aren't good, imo.

I agree completely that they don't need to discuss political concepts to write good lyrics. I love all of their lyrics from 1039 through AI and most of 21CB despite a few not so great lyrical pieces (imo). Also I really enjoy BlackBabboon's interpretation. But I think a lot of the lyrics in the Trilogy are not very good. Not because its not about politics, but because they really too much on cliches or just don't make that much sense, or don't really go anywhere. I definitely will have to examine SD&V more closely though (I'm still not a fan of "English Math and Science," just sounds dumb even if it makes sense)

Bruno Mars is actually a pretty good writer he makes happy poppy music after all the depressing songs or violent songs it's nice to hear a nice simple happy song... he's a good new artist and after talks with him he is a real music lover unlike other new artists who just trying to be rich and score with multiple women...

I can understand that point of view too, but I think one of the best things about sex, drugs, and violence is that it sort of divides these other monumental songs about midlife breakdowns and doesn't really change the topic, but views it in a more self-deprecating and humorous light. Sometimes I like to look at big issues with a little more of a catchy beat and upbeat riff just for variation on perspective.

I agree completely. Like that line in Amanda: "I'm not messing with your mind/unless you think I am". That little quip right there totally reminded me of some of Billie Joe's Dookie style sarcasm, good shit.

I swear people find the smallest gripes with songs and just ruin things in their head for themselves...

I think it's fair. I liked Train's "Hey Soul Sister" in every way until I heard the "my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest." That imagery in that one line killed the song entirely for me :lol: It can happen. With Green Day I'll work harder, because I really do like the rest of the song.

Bruno Mars is actually a pretty good writer he makes happy poppy music after all the depressing songs or violent songs it's nice to hear a nice simple happy song... he's a good new artist and after talks with him he is a real music lover unlike other new artists who just trying to be rich and score with multiple women...

Agreed. Hell, I love the lazy song.

Archived