Happiest and unhappiest albums?

ColinOr

I have decided to divide the 10 albums into 5 most happy and 5 unhappy. Obviously it isn't as black and white as that but just the 5 most of each.

In no particular order:

Unhappy

-Insomniac (that seems to be the general consensus)

-21st Century Breakdown (has a pretty depressing feel to me)

-American Idiot (Unhappy but in a good way as some of you have described)

-Nimrod

-Dos (I feel that it isn't really unhappy, it is definitely the most happiest of records)

Happy

-Uno

-Warning

-39 Smooth

-Kerplunk

-Dookie

Like I said, it isn't as black and white as that. It will be interesting where Tre comes in, so far from what I have heard it sounds somewhere in the middle.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, Uno is also the happiest album, because the music sounds happy. But the lyrics, I don't know. I think there are a lot of metaphors in there although they might sound light, and I think you can't really take them literally, there is definitely a negative vibe behind the happy music...

The unhappiest may be Insomniac, but also Kerplunk, becacuse there are some really strong, sad, self-reflecting songs in there (No One Knows, Welcome to Paradise...)

THIS

Green Day/ Billie really don't do happy! I mean 1039 smooth/slappy may be the exception but i really don't see Warning as happy (regardless of how upbeat the music sounded...read the lyrics!!) and even Uno...Kill The DJ, Loss Of Control and Let Yourself Go don't scream happy to me. As for unhappy thats a hard choice...Insomniac was certainly Billie spilling his guts in songs like Armatage Shanks, Panic Song and Stuck With Me while Nimrod had Uptight and Worry Rock etc but I find it interesting that Billie chose to use characters for American Idiot and 21c Breakdown...both very dark and frankly quite depressing albums. I remember one Rolling Stone interview where he said he didn't want his kids hearing Christians Inferno and other songs. Then in a recent interview Tre mentioned how he no longer uses characters and on the trilogy albums he didn't filter himself at all...it makes me think he has been in a dark place (depression) for years hence the unhappy writting but it was getting so dark with AI and 21c Breakdown (and maybe cos his kids were older) he chose to write through characters. All i know for sure is Green Days lyrics certainly don't make for happy reading...unless you have a strange sense of humor...

At The Library - Never getting the girl you want

Don't Leave Me- Title says it all

I Was There - Reminiscing about past events, we'll call that a kind of neutral song

Disappearing Boy - Feeling isolated and depressed and lonely

Green Day - Tripping balls and seeing weird shit. There's a love song in there somewhere too, I think. Not sure about the overall tone. Neutral, we'll say.

Going To Pasalacqua - Falling in love. Still a little bittersweet "I'm in for nasty weather". Kinda neutral again.

16 - Growing old and being afraid of death.

Road To Acceptance - All the bullshit you have to go through in life to be accepted.

Rest - Yeah. Not happy.

The Judge's Daughter - Unrequited love

Paper Lanterns - Unrequited love

Why Do You Want Him? - Doesn't like his step-dad

409 In Your Coffeemaker - Hating school

Knowledge - Okay, here we go, finally, a happy song. And it's a cover

1,000 Hours - Unrequited love

Dry Ice - Unrequited love

Only Of You - Unrequited love

The One That I Want - Unrequited love, again

I Want To Be Alone - Wanting to get away from the world and be by yourself for a while. Kinda neutral, but happyish in a way.

So yeah. Green Day are not a fan of happy songs.

• 1 month later...
Happiest - Kerplunk

"I sit alone in my bedroom, staring at the wall"

"Julie is crying, well now she's realizing love can be filled with pain and distrust"

"a gunshot rings out at the station, another urchin shot dead and left out on his own"

"my friends are gone, I've got nothing to do"

"I wonder down these streets all by myself, think of my future now I just don't know"

"Why does my life have to be so small, yet death is forever"

"Or will I grow that old, will I still be around, the way I carry on I'll end up six feet underground"

"I see my friends begin to age, a short countdown to their end"

"But now it's gone and I take the blame, so there's nothing I can do but take the pain"

Nimrod is the unhappiest in my opinion, There is the problem of alcoholism and abstinence from alcohol, the feeling of complete apathy and frustration toward life, getting bored in an old relationship even If there's still love, suicidal thoughts, saying goodbye to someone special, Being an ass and lose your friends along the way.

The happiest? Probably.. Kerplunk! or 1039.I don't know,a lot of lyrics were carefree,like the first crush or love at first sight in a library, the beautiful feeling when you finally kiss a girl/boy that you really like/love, create your own independence from your parents, being kids in general.

Insomniac is definitely the darkest, with Uno being the lightest. Everything else is sort of in between.

I don't know about you guys, but I always think Warning is a depressing record :confused:

I would say Warning is one of the happiest too. Maybe UNO now or DOS.

Warning is kind of depressing though. But I feel like it's screaming "there's hope!" For me many of Warning's songs is about feeling down, but being able to feel alright again, which makes me happy listening to it.

Except Misery of course. But I don't think you can find an album who doesn't have at least one sad song :lol:

Oh and Insomniac is their saddest

Guest RedStrokes

I think somebody already said this, but green day doesn't really do happy. But I think the closest Thing to happy they made is 1039 or dookie, which still has some very unhappy lyrics. The unhappiest album I would say is either nimrod or insomniac

even though Green Day doesn't have many "happy" lyrics, all of their music can make me happy

they don't have a completely happy album...that would be too boring. There are always more topics of lyrics.

But lyrically unhappiest is Insomniac...but mellodicaly it doesn't sound unhapilly. It's more about the "energy" of that record, the way BJ sings. It's just havier, angry...call it how you want. As second I'd choose Nimrod...some songs are really depressing.

Btw. Why so many people say that Dos is the unhappiest? I'think that the only really sad song there is Lazy Bones.

I think their saddest album is "Warning." I guess maybe I feel this way because at the time it they thought it was going to be their last album and you can sort of hear that in the music.

I don't know about the unhappy album, but for me the happy album of them is Warning, cause me and my sister always dancing happy when we listening to this album in the car....

Archived