Happiest and unhappiest albums?

ColinOr

happiest is a tie between UNO and Warning for me personally, I always listen to one of those two albums when I'm in a shit mood. Unhappiest is definitely Insomniac and 21CB actually is sorta depressing lol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think this is an efficient way to categorize songs i dont think people get it

I've never really thought of Green Day as a depressing band (I've got Joy Division, the Smiths and In Utero for that!) but yeah, they've had some emotional songs for sure.

Insomniac is the angriest but Nimrod has a lot of angry songs like The Grouch, Platypus and Take Back. Uno has more songs with angry lyrical content, LYG, Loos of Control and Rusty James. With Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod Billie Joe was venting his young leftover teen angst and with Uno he is having a mid life crisis it seems. It appears as if he has regressed back a bit with his mental state. Billie is clearly very frustrated these days. Warning has a happy vibe but I think the happiest album to me might be Kerplunk.

I think we all know that Billie Joe doesn't exactly fill his lyrics with positivity.

UNO is that happiest, 21st Century Breakdown is the unhappiest.

The lack of upbeat songs and depressing state that America was in that inspired that album decided it for me. (love the shit out of the album tho)

Happiest is Uno

Unhappiest is actually Nimrod, not Insomniac, Insomniac is pissed off, agressive and bitter Nimrod has songs like Scattered, Redundant, Uptight, Worry Rock, Walking Alone. There are no happy songs on Nimrod, theres no sad songs on Insomniac either, just angry ones.

Insomniac is the angriest and Warning is the calmest

There are no happy songs on Nimrod

King For A Day

All The Time

Good Riddance (Yes it's positive, "for what it's worth, it was worth all the while")

That's just off the top of my head. I can't remember every song off the tracklist though.

Reading this really makes me realise that the number of happy Green Day albums is pretty much nil :lol: That being said, I would probably say that Uno! is the happiest, and Insomniac would have to be the unhappiest. I'm not sure if others will agree with me on this, but I actually find Dos to be a rather unhappy album in many ways. I can't really explain why, but songs like Lazy Bones and Amy make the whole 'party' sound like a messed up trainwreck. In a good way though. Idk.

King For A Day

All The Time

Good Riddance (Yes it's positive, "for what it's worth, it was worth all the while")

That's just off the top of my head. I can't remember every song off the tracklist though.

All The Time isn't happy

I'd go with Kerplunk. No One Knows is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard.

Most depressing song you've EVER heard?!

Ok party peeps for most depressing I choose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjglqIvS8oo and for happiest well atleast happiest musicly I choose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZCiQ1P0GE the breakdown around 2 minutes in this song is one of my favorite musical moments in any song ever.....

Oh wait I might be on the wrong forum.....Sorry, I blame Obama care for not teaching my to read or understand things properly. Oh wait nope thats just my genetics....fuck...

-ChaseR

I would say that, overall, Insomniac is a pretty unhappy record. It was their response to being rejected from the community where they first found a home.

:) / :( as for the lyrics, or the music? 'Cause there's a difference but

To me Insomniac is the unhappiest. <I listen to it when I'm more than angry and about to cry of how unhappy I feel... ( :mad:)

The haapiest is kind of hard to say... ¡UNO! which is not that happy but songs like Carpe Diem or Sweet 16 make it ·cheerful· ( :happy: )

Warning is definitely not a happy record. It's probably their most bitter and jaded album. So much of the lyrics are incredibly depressing on that record. I mean, come on: Misery, Deadbeat Holiday, Castaway, MACY'S DAY PARADE. Just because the music sounds happy, it doesn't mean the guys who are writing it are happy.

"Philosophy's a liar when your home is your headstone"

"On desolation road, where I'm a castaway"

"Now I'm dreaming of a brand new hope, the one I've never known"

Cheerful stuff. I'll put away my razor now.

As for the happiest, well, they don't really have many happy songs even, do they? People say Uno, but you've got tracks like Kill the DJ on that. I guess, overall, it is their "happiest album".

THIS

Green Day/ Billie really don't do happy! I mean 1039 smooth/slappy may be the exception but i really don't see Warning as happy (regardless of how upbeat the music sounded...read the lyrics!!) and even Uno...Kill The DJ, Loss Of Control and Let Yourself Go don't scream happy to me. As for unhappy thats a hard choice...Insomniac was certainly Billie spilling his guts in songs like Armatage Shanks, Panic Song and Stuck With Me while Nimrod had Uptight and Worry Rock etc but I find it interesting that Billie chose to use characters for American Idiot and 21c Breakdown...both very dark and frankly quite depressing albums. I remember one Rolling Stone interview where he said he didn't want his kids hearing Christians Inferno and other songs. Then in a recent interview Tre mentioned how he no longer uses characters and on the trilogy albums he didn't filter himself at all...it makes me think he has been in a dark place (depression) for years hence the unhappy writting but it was getting so dark with AI and 21c Breakdown (and maybe cos his kids were older) he chose to write through characters. All i know for sure is Green Days lyrics certainly don't make for happy reading...unless you have a strange sense of humor...

Archived