Happiest and unhappiest albums?

ColinOr

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to throw it out there that live albums shouldn't really count.

I'd like to throw it out there that these threads are only interesting if people also explain why they think an album has a happy vibe or not. :)

Happiest: Warning for sure, the whole album is pretty up-beat.

Unhappiest: 21st Century Breakdown, I thought that there were some depressing songs in there...

I'd like to throw it out there that live albums shouldn't really count.

Agreed. Only albums they recorded while dead, or (though they may be harder to find) before they were born.

Agreed. Only albums they recorded while dead, or (though they may be harder to find) before they were born.

That was a dire joke.

i say UNO is their happiest. I always thought Warning was quite depressing.

Stop Drop and Roll, but that's not Green Day :lol:

But I think as far as actual GD albums, iUno! is one of the "happiest" abums... But I think so is Dookie and 39 smooth

I'll say the unhappy one is Insomniac.

burnout, having a blast, welcome to paradise, longview, basket case, f.o.d., emenius sleepus, in the end..... are very very happy. seams legit.

I'd say 21st Century Breakdown would be their least happy album. I mean, all the songs have a sense of loathing, wanting to get out, hatred, or just complete anger with the world or other organizations and groups, such as religion is East Jesus Nowhere, or just wanting to let it go and go loud, like Know Your Enemy: "Silence is the Enemy/Violence is an energy" Then theirs songs like Before the Lobotomy or Restless Heart Syndrome about Billie's feelings crushing him, giving him a "really bad disease"

The happiest I'd say would be Dos. That album just has so much young energy ideas: Angst, partying, hanging out, letting loose, and literally fucking. Most of the songs in that album don't have very angry lyrics or upset, depressing topics, even the songs that have a kind of "down" vibe, like Nightlife, still have a kind of positive feel in the lyrics.

That's just my opinion, that's just what I see in those albums.

Happiest: Uno!

Unhappiest/depressing: Insomniac

At least that's what I think.

Musically Insomniac is by far the darkest. It also has some dark lyrics to back it up, but for me Nimrod is their unhappiest album lyrically. I have always been struck by the extreme sense of bitterness running through just about every song on Nimrod (minus King For a Day of course). Dos has plenty of lurking darkness as well, but is more mixed. But lets face it, BJ doesn't really write many happy lyrics, they are kind of boring. I consider Warning and 21CB more critical than unhappy. American Idiot is sort of a mixture of the critical and unhappiness.

Happiest musically I suppose Dookie, Kerplunk, Uno, and 1039 are pretty upbeat, though the lyrical content is still not that uplifting. I guess I'd give musically happiest to Dookie, and lyrically I guess Kerplunk but there is a lot of questioning the world and confusion. Still I think it manages to say fuck it lets have fun more than most other Green Day records "All I wanna do is get real high"

Happiest has to be Uno. Warning is also a pretty upbeat album, but it's not as fun as Uno, it just has a larger focus on "Hope" with doses of negativity here and there.

Insomniac is their angriest and most negative work. Outside of Walking Contradiction, the rest of the songs are pretty damn aggressive and depressing.

I disagree with people saying Dookie as their happiest. Dookie is fun-sounding, but it's filled with songs about loneliness, drug use, relationship issues, and overall angst; not exactly the most positive things in the world. American Idiot is pretty up and down, as is 21st Century Breakdown, although that album ends on a positive/hopeful note. The thing about Green Day is that their songs, more often-than-not, are happy-sounding with not-so happy undertones and meanings that revolve beneath that upbeat music.

I really don't like the word "unhappiest;" I think a better term to use would be angry :P They have lots of angry albums xD

But if I must pick..

For "happiest" I would pick...Honestly I have no idea

and as for "unhappiest"...Dos.

But for angriest I would pick Insomniac xD

I feel like Dos is a lot "unhappier" than Insomniac. The later is a lot angrier, but being angry and unhappy are two totally different things. As for happiest? Hmm... probably Uno. It's definitely the poppiest record and I guess when it comes to lyrics it's not really negative.

Each record has elements of both. Most Green Day songs are darker in subject matter but the way they are presented makes it feel more uplifting. I can't really say one album stands out as particularly happy, maybe "Warning". The title track and "Minority" were both very empowering tracks, Church on Sunday, Blood Sex and Booze, and Castaway were not necessarily "happy" songs, but have a positive feeling to them. "Hold On" which was about the band losing several close friends in a short span and trying to make sense of their own lives in that struggle. So. I'd say "Warning" and then Insomniac and Nimrod would definitely be the "unhappiest".

Happiest is warning for sure saddest...uh.... I'd say insomniac. But then again insomnioac wasn't sad it was mostly angry and pissed off :/

Well, I mean, even though Insomniac was angry, it was still done in a bright manner. But yes, lyrically, it is kind of insane.

I think that Dookie does also have a happy theme to it, melodically, but I'd have to go with the flo and say that UNO is the happiest Lyrically and melodically.

I feel like Dos is a lot "unhappier" than Insomniac. The later is a lot angrier, but being angry and unhappy are two totally different things. As for happiest? Hmm... probably Uno. It's definitely the poppiest record and I guess when it comes to lyrics it's not really negative.

You really think Nimrod? I mean, I'd say it has that iconic kind of rise-and-fall thing going on, and beside that fact, each song deals with it's own subject.

Archived