Happiest and unhappiest albums?

ColinOr

Which Green Day album do you think sounds the happiest, has the best overall vibes? I say Warning does, there is just an insanely happy vibe going on with that album and it has such cute songs like Church On Sunday and Hold On. The lyrics are generally positive and the band sound really happy with their lives, their sound grown up and comfortable with themselves.

Which Green Day album do you think sounds the unhappiest, has the most negative overall vibes? I say Insomniac does, you can really tell the band was losing their minds with that album. The songs are so aggressive for the pop-punk genre and the lyrics were crazy, such as in Armatage Shanks and Panic Song. This is my favourite Green Day album because it is full of raw anger and intensity. Their heads were definitely somewhere else around this time, but it works so well, they really seemed to be alot happier by the time Nimrod was out, but this album speaks troubled times. The band was angry and expressed it brilliantly with this album. Instrumentally and lyrically, this is the "unhappiest" sounding Green Day album, but is also my favourite.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which Green Day album do you think sounds the happiest, has the best overall vibes? I say Warning does, there is just an insanely happy vibe going on with that album and it has such cute songs like Church On Sunday and Hold On. The lyrics are generally positive and the band sound really happy with their lives, their sound grown up and comfortable with themselves.

One word. Misery :sherlock:

yep Insomniac was a heavy album(one of their best by far), in a time when Green Day was about to break up. American Idiot is also kind of depressing but upbeat in a great way. UNO is probably their happiest album.

UNO is their happiest album imo.

I don't know about you guys, but I always think Warning is a depressing record :confused:

Uno is definitely the happiest album, I mean American Idiot is depressing, but in a happy way.

Happiest are Uno/Dookie ... and yes, i know what you mean with Warning, so let's say i agree

Unhappiest are .. Insomniac and ... and :D

I'd say 39/smooth was the happiest. The songs just sound so happy. The unhappiest would be Insomniac, and in a way 21st Century Breakdown.

I'd say Insomniac and Nimrod are both very 'unhapp'y records..Insomniac marginally more so. As for their happiest? Warning probably, it's a very...confident record imo. It's just a shame it didn't sell very well.

Insomniac is definately an angry album (it's also one of their best) so you could count that as 'unhappy'

Most albums have a mix of songs with positive and negative emotions which I guess reflects on how Billie feels at the time he writes them. The early years reflect more on the teenage mindset they had with the emotions going from one extreme to the other. The later albums like American Idiot and 21CB are more considered and controlled with the message they portray.

Congrats by the way on finally posting a thread in the right forum.

I'd say Insomniac and Nimrod are both very 'unhapp'y records..Insomniac marginally more so. As for their happiest? Warning probably, it's a very...confident record imo. It's just a shame it didn't sell very well.

Warning is definitely not a happy record. It's probably their most bitter and jaded album. So much of the lyrics are incredibly depressing on that record. I mean, come on: Misery, Deadbeat Holiday, Castaway, MACY'S DAY PARADE. Just because the music sounds happy, it doesn't mean the guys who are writing it are happy.

"Philosophy's a liar when your home is your headstone"

"On desolation road, where I'm a castaway"

"Now I'm dreaming of a brand new hope, the one I've never known"

Cheerful stuff. I'll put away my razor now.

As for the happiest, well, they don't really have many happy songs even, do they? People say Uno, but you've got tracks like Kill the DJ on that. I guess, overall, it is their "happiest album".

Congrats by the way on finally posting a thread in the right forum.

Warning is definitely not a happy record. It's probably their most bitter and jaded album. So much of the lyrics are incredibly depressing on that record. I mean, come on: Misery, Deadbeat Holiday, Castaway, MACY'S DAY PARADE. Just because the music sounds happy, it doesn't mean the guys who are writing it are happy.

"Philosophy's a liar when your home is your headstone"

"On desolation road, where I'm a castaway"

"Now I'm dreaming of a brand new hope, the one I've never known"

Cheerful stuff. I'll put away my razor now.

As for the happiest, well, they don't really have many happy songs even, do they? People say Uno, but you've got tracks like Kill the DJ on that. I guess, overall, it is their "happiest album".

How about content as a opposed to happy, then? Insomniac and Nimrod, lyrically speaking, are angry records and don't seem particularly satisfied. 'Teenage' records as it were. Warning is a lyrically mature, 'adult' record and content with new found knowledge and a sense of cynicism.

How about content as a opposed to happy, then? Insomniac and Nimrod, lyrically speaking, are angry records and don't seem particularly satisfied. 'Teenage' records as it were. Warning is a lyrically mature, 'adult' record and content with new found knowledge and a sense of cynicism.

Insomniac is probably the rawest of their albums. It's just sheer unedited being pissed off at the world. Nimrod is them beginning to grow up, where you have songs such as The Grouch juxtaposed with Platypus. Warning is where their anger becomes it's most distilled. There's so much self loathing, world weariness, and cynicism all piled together. It's so angry, in a less obvious, less in your face way. Completely the opposite of Insomniac.

Happiest: Insomniac.

"I've got a knack for fucking everything up..."

It's always nice to know you're good at something.

Unhappiest: Bullet in a Bible.

You can't champion the defacement of a sacred religious text and get away with it. Unless it's the Koran. Or one of them funny Hindu books.

You can't champion the defacement of a sacred religious text and get away with it. Unless it's the Koran. Or one of them funny Hindu books.

Wait what? :huh:

i think the only green day album with a generally positive vibe is uno. the first two albums are pretty lighthearted though with some exeptions.

all others deal with rather dark themes. and i think insomniac and warning do so the most! and both are lirically amazing. everyone whos saying "they cant sing about masturbation anymore" referring to people who love the older album for their lyrics should shut the fuck up. insomniac has some songs with the best green day lyrics. take no pride or stuck with me for example. "no cultures worth a stream of piss or bullet in my face". they didn't start to sing about political things with american idiot as some people like to say. "oh man when they started those political songs i started to dislike them." wait. in 1995?

Wait what? :huh:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Uno is the happiest and 21st Century Breakdown/Insomniac is the unhappiest

Bullet In a Bible or Awesome As F**k is the happiest.

Insomniac and MAYBE Nimrod are unhappiest

Archived