Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

What got you into Green Day?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

iheely

iheely
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 4 rep

i have the saddest way of getting into them. i was about 8 years old. i had heard Canadian Idiot, and loved that song. Then my friend (keep in mind hes also 8) said that the real song said the f word in it. so of course im like woah, i wanna hear that song.  i asked my dad to buy me some green day songs. and he bought me a few, and it just wasnt enough. i think i have enough now. almost 400 green day songs on my ipod to date. good thing i have memory

VIVALAWHATSHERNAME

VIVALAWHATSHERNAME
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined Dec 15, 2012
  • 115 rep

I was pretty young, not sure how old I was, maybe 9 or 10 years old (Sometime in between Warning and American Idiot). Anyway, I was on vacation with my family and while in the hotel room, I was messing around with the clock radio on the nightstand and then Brain Stew came on. I was completely blown away by the sheer epicness of Brain Stew. Once I got back from vacation I told my neighbor (and family friend) what I had heard. He was familiar with Green Day and gave me some CDs to listen to and I was hooked instantly. 

Virtue

Virtue
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2012
  • 92 rep

Just love reading all these stories..

Edited by Virtue, 24 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

Tabeeb

Tabeeb
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Joined Nov 18, 2011
  • 182 rep

Oh God. Long-ass story. 

My friend asked if I wanted to join his band and I said yes and started to learn to play the guitar. The song he wanted us to do was Wake Me Up When September Ends so I gave it a few listens. One day, we were at the computer lab and my friend was listening to American Idiot on YouTube with the lyrics on screen. The teacher came over so he paused it and it paused on the lyric "the Subliminal Mindfuck America" and the teacher saw it and I started laughing my head off. I had originally thought that they were some group that came along mainly to promote awareness of the environment and were all goody-two-shoes and what-not, but was I wrong. 

I put some Green Day songs in my iPod  since I kinda had to know them at the time. (BTW,  before this period of time, I was getting into pop music so GD saved my ass huge). I did what I usually did when starting to listen new artists, I searched for a top 10/20 songs list. The first one I clicked on didn't have any Boulevard or Wake Me Up or American Idiot so I was confused. I looked at the comments and saw that they are all saying "finally, a "true" Green Day fan." Now something about this band kept drawing me closer. I wanted to be a "true" Green Day fan so I started to slowly put all of their songs in my iPod. I analysed them all while listening to them at night and finally I realized. This music is who I am. 

I started to get into this "Punk" genre of music and started to listen to a variety of different bands. Pretty soon, I deleted everything off my iPod that was pop music and replaced it with 100% Rock and Roll. Green Day was starting to become part of my every day schedule. Every day I would listen to their music, watch their live perfomances, search up interviews, funny moments, etc. Every new thing I discover attracts me closer to them and they've become my favourite band and my inspiration. I look up to Billie Joe and watching him perform live empowers me and motivates me to do the same. I've learned so much from them, from being my own person and not care about what others think, to becoming a better writer and to learning my first set of chords on guitar. They've changed my entire life completely.

Tl;dr: I got into them because they're awesome.

• PigSniffingGlue and musso_kn like this

greenday_jlb

greenday_jlb
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Joined Jul 26, 2011
  • 126 rep
American idiot

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep

I saw Green Day on tv during Live 8 concert. I remember I was jumping on the couch listetning to, I thnik Holiday. One year later, when I got my own PC and could dowlnoad music which I want, I got AI, WMUWSE, BOBD and The Sainst Are Coming, yet I was such a big nerd, so I stoped listening to it. In 2009 I really got into Green Day. My dad was serching for something on TV and he found Viva (music television, now with shitty music) and there I saw video to KYE. It was real love. That time I had problems with my peers, so 21st Century Breakdown was my escape from them.

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 713 rep
Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September ends,followed by American Idiot and 21 Guns

Rest as they say is history :P

Mara Garcia Green Day

Mara Garcia Green Day
  • Hiddles ♥

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2013
  • 8,228 rep

I saw the Holiday video on MTV, it was so funny and the song it was so amazing, everyday was on air and that´s how i fell in love with them  :wub: but it´s weird, 'cause the first video that i saw was Propocks and coke, i remember that it was funny for me see this guy with a dress, but i was so young, so i dind´t care music in that time  :P

MaterialDiamond

MaterialDiamond
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2012
  • 18 rep

Mine's a really simple story, I was about 6 years old and I saw Basket Case on tv,

instantly I loved Green Day and I've loved them ever since.

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 508 rep

I was watching TV, a thing led to another... and here I am!

bexta

bexta
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined Feb 07, 2013
  • 1 rep

I got into green day because one day me and my husband where out in the car when a green day song came on the radio and he said i f***king hate these they are sh*t, so afta a HUGE fight with him lata that week i thought f**k you i will p**s you off i downloading every green day song i could find  and blasted them continuousness. It did the job p**sed him right off and i continue to do so on a daily matter i never bothered to listen to them before that but now i love them and got to say brutal love is my fav track of the new album 

Edited by bexta, 07 February 2013 - 04:30 PM.

• chilli0095 likes this

Dark Lord Plagueis

Dark Lord Plagueis
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 472 rep

My sisters ex-husband was huge into Green Day back in 2004. He gave me my first CD's:
American idiot

Warning

Hot Fuss

TO this day The Killers and Green Day are two of my favorite groups.

euphoric-pareidolias

euphoric-pareidolias
  • Abandoned Hope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Joined Jun 24, 2010
  • 182 rep

I had heard AI and being young and ignorant was caught singing the wrong lyrics (cos I couldn't remember them so made them up) by my brother so he lent me his CD and then I went out and bought all the rest :lol: 

somehow my brain remembered "Don't wanna be an American Idiot don't want a nation under the new media"  as "don't wanna be an American Idiot... don't wanna get fucked by a meteor....."  :blink:  I was only 9 if that helps XD

• PigSniffingGlue and Cath like this

Kill_the_Lamp

Kill_the_Lamp
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2012
  • 14 rep

around the time 21st century breakdown came out i heard them play 21 guns with the american idiot cast on some award show. I really liked it so I decided to listen to more from them. I mainly only listened to singles from American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown and Basket Case. then during summer 2011 I saw American Eulogy from a related video section on youtube. I listened to it and was hooked. I started listening to the 21 Century Breakdown and American Idiot album for a while and then the Uno, Dos, Tre albums were announced which kept me with them now. 

Yeah, I know I'm a really new fan... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users