What got you into Green Day?

Insomniac45

i got a burned copy of 21stCDB from my drum teacher in 2009, listened to it and was instantly hooked. i especially loved murder city, which is still one of my all-time favourite green day songs.

i think the cd had "21st century braketown" written on it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the video for Minority in 2000, i remember on a french channel. I used to listen to them a lot in 2000-2001.

But then, i stopped and then they released "American Idiot" and i became a huge fan :D

Well, I was up to something totally different. My boss sent me a youtube video by a group called Coldmirror. They have fun "translating" songs of foreign languages as they hear them into German, and doing so creating misheard lyrics. Sometimes very funny. So I listened to a misheard turkish song and tried to find some more examples. That´s how I got to know Green Day, and I think the first song was "holiday", "translated" (or better misheard) by Coldmirror. I was so fascinated that I looked for more stuff from GD, and I really liked every song.

Later on I bought AI and 21stBD, and I loved that stuff. Followed by all the other released albums and a lot of videos an youtube. First concert 30th August 2012 in Berlin, that´s my "GD-career".

In the sixth grade I sat next to these boys in my computer class. They'd always sneak onto YouTube and watch Green Day videos, specifically Boulevard of Broken Dreams. They were like, "you should watch them!" I was frequently hearing Holiday and BoBD on the radio and I imagined that the lead singer looked like Chester Bennington based on the way his voice sounded to me (was I pleasantly surprised when I finally learned what Billie looked like). Anyway, I finally looked up their videos and saw them on MTV and fell in looove, I begged for American Idiot from my parents and walked into my bedroom at my dad's one day to see it lying on my radio - I flipped out, I was so excited! The rest is history.

Billie Joe told me to "Listen to it fucking properly" after I was given American Idiot and had only given it a cursory listen. I did as I was told (LOUDLY) and it changed my life. He was absolutley right. The first bit was in a dream, I hasten to add. It's got to be the weirdest way anyone has got into them, right?

I was at a birthday party when i was pretty young and my friend played some dookie and i was like "wow, this is pretty impressive!" But i really didn't listen to them untill i was about 12 or 13. I looked them up for some reason on itunes and bought the video for minority and BOBD from Bullet in a Bible. I realized that i really do enjoy their music and i didn't just like them as whole, i really loved every instrument and lyric that came from those two songs. So after i wore those two songs out i ended up just going crazy with all their music since THERE'S SO MUCH. Since then, my GD collection just kept growing. And then i went to the detroit show and ended up somehow getting front row seats from will call since we bought from a fake company. Best night ever. Nothing was more perfect. The reason why they're so special is that it's the first time i've actually enjoyed music. I really didn't even listen to music before them. And another reason they're so special is they have a song for litterally anything. They helped me through alot (bet you've all heard that alot) but they really have. And they'll always be my favorite band. Always.

Well the first time I noticed them consciously was when I saw the american idiot on mtv. And that song blew me away, because I only listened to pop then and I got the album as soon as I could and fell in love with it. Soon after that I got all of their CD's.

They basically opened up a whole new world musically for me :wub:

Mine is a real heartbreaker, It's kinda long tough, My oldest memory of Green Day is being in my brothers room while watching him play Counter Strike and Diablo, all fascinated on it. And Then Boulevard Of Broken Dreams came on the radio, And I was like ''what is this song'' and my brother said, It's Green Day. Somedays later I was watching nickelodeon or how the fuck it's spelled, and Boulevard of Broken Dreams was there, and I was like JIM JIM (name of my brother) IT'S GREEN DAY ON TV, and he was like ''what song'' and I was like ''y'know its that song Green Day'' however somedays after that, I got my first song I ever had on my phone, called ''American Idiot'' meanwhile I got to know my crush at that time. That her favorite band was Green Day. At that time my sister had explained how limewire worked. And I kept on downloading songs from Green Day since I remember my crush loved them. I was searching for a particular song called ''Boulevard Of Broken Dreams'' I didn't know the name of it, I remember downloading and loving songs like ''Burnout'' ''Basket Case'' ''Disappearing Boy'' and ''At The Library'' and so after awhile I found Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Green Day was officially my favorite band, this was way back in 2005, to this day I might even love them more then I did before, I'm so excited for Tré.

On 2005 Green Day released American Idiot as a single and the people on my school always listened the song but I knew that they only liked the aong because the title has the word ''IDIOT''. Well like a month later I was listening to the radio and I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams but like I was only 7 years old and my english was the worst in my history I searched the song on internet as I walk Alone becuase that was the only thing that I understood about the song. Like 2 years later I found the song so I show it to my friends at school and one of them showed me another song ''Holiday'' and I was like ''FUCKING AWESOME'' 1 year later and after listening to a lot of Green Day song Awesome as Fuck that moment my obsetion began!!

When i was little my parents would play Brain Stew and All the Small Things by Blink-182, actually, i HATED Brain Stew, as i grew older, American Idiot came out, and I loved American Idiot (song), my parents bought me American Idiot and a Green Day shirt for my birthday, but (I feel awful for this part) I stopped listening to Green Day!!?!?! Luckily, my Dad told me Green Day was releasing 21st Century Breakdown, so then we bought it, and I loved the Static Age, and 21st Century Breakdown. Then, that album got old, so I started looking at their old stuff (my dad already had most of it) so, I started listening to their older stuff, and then, I heard Brain Stew, and I fell in love with it... And now, their my favorite band. :toocool::bunny:

Back in 2006 I was flicking through the music channels and saw BOBD video, and fell in love with it. I checked out more of their music and yeah that's how it started :D

I admit that i hated them probably a year before that because i wasnt into Rock music and hated their makeup in the American Idiot music video. That's all changed and I love it now :P

Well, my brother always was an addicted Green Day fan, so when I was a kid I listened a lot of songs with him... It was on American Idiot era, I think. And I don't remember which was the first song I heard, maybe Welcome to Paradise! :)

I was in school (aged 14) and everyone in my class hates me as I a different point of view that anyone around me at time (only a small group likes me, including a girl that I fell in love with);

at that time I heard American Idiot (song) on the radio and I absolutely loved immediately. I've dowload the entire album (I didn't have enough money to buy it) and thee story fits with me really well;

I've listen to it a lot of times than, a year after, I've discover BIAB and I've fell in love with the old song, so I've gradually download all albums and they've became my favorite bands;

also after the school years, I've never seen that girl I fell in love with, just like Jimmy in AI;

that's why AI is my favorite album I've ever listen to as I describes that period of my life .

I first heard Green Day back in 2005. It was in the summer holidays and I was listening to Helena by MCR (I was a huuuge fan of them when I was in primary school). I saw a link to Jesus of Suburbia in the side-bar, and I immediatly fell in love with Green Day :) but I was only 9, I think, and they were not my favorite band, but now they are and I love them more every day :) Jesus of Suburbia will always have a special meaning to me :')

A boy. But they became my favorite band, for 5 years now.

And the first song was BOBD, those were good times :D

My older sister always like Green Day, without being addicted to it though. We shared a room from the moment I was born til I was 16. So basically I grew up with GD, really enjoying listening to them. But I really started to become a real "fan" when I turned 14 and started to listen to more punk rock and metal and that rock music became my favorite type of music!! And when American Idiot came out ( I was 16), I really, like insanely, became addicted. I'm 24 now and still worship these guys!

Good riddance was everywhere. My Mom bought me nimrod then i got everything pre nimrod and just been a fan since then :)

One day my buddy and I were listening to music and then Basket Case came on and I was like, "that's pretty good." That was in 09 just around the time 21CB came out. As for my first GD song, idk really. I was born in 96 so it could have been something from Insomniac, Nimrod, or Warning. I never knew who sung Wake Me Up When September Ends or Boulevard Of Broken Dreams. I saw them in their itunes catalog, and I'm like I know those songs.

Around maybe 2004 or so, my friend and I would always hear the "popular" American Idiot songs from our parents on mix CDs (Holiday, BOBD, WMUWSE etc.) and started to like them. My friend thought it would be cool to look up the other songs, so we branched out to the entire album and it moved from there. We both still love them to death :happy:

i first started liking them becasue a friend of mine was OBSESSED with green day and i had a huge crush on him so i started to listen to them so he would like me... at first i couldnt stand to listen to them but then i heard brat and that song made me really stop and actualy listen to them and i really liked what i heard so then i went back to the songs i couldnt listen to before and guess what? they were actually really good!! and the rest is hstory :D

I went through a really big 90's alt music phase. Bands like stone temple pilots, nirvana, third eye blind, jimmy eat world, blink-182, incubus, foo fighters, and green day were and still are pretty much my favorite bands til this day. :happy:

I feel like I've posted this a thousand times here on GDC, but one of my older brothers got me into Green Day. He had all the albums up until Nimrod and I remember taking Dookie from him one day and listening to it and falling in love. This was probably around 2003 so I was only really little, not even 8 yet. After that, he got me Insomniac and Nimrod for Christmas that year and I loved those too. The following September is when American Idiot came out so I remember forcing my mom to get me that and surprise surprise, I loved it. They've been my favourite band ever since.

Oddly enough, I didn't know Warning existed until I was like 12 or something. I remember finding it in the mall one day and being so shocked.

Well, my story is pretty simple. My friend got me into them. He was a real fanatic of Green Day and forced me to check them out. I did. BEST THING EVER.

I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and completely fell in love with it. Gradually downloaded more of their music, American Idiot, Know your enemy, Minority and so on...

I owe my friend a lot. :D This was back in 2009.

I was in something of a musical rut, listening to stuff between my dad's old stuff (Zeppelin, The Who), my sister's old stuff (The Clash), and Good Charlotte and whatever was on the alternative music radio. I heard "Give Me Novacaine" on the local alternative station. I'm pretty sure it was before the record was officially released, and the radio station was just playing it to get it some air. I really liked it... so I went out to buy a Green Day record, but I bought one with stuff I knew - Dookie, with "Welcome to Paradise" which was a song that I recognized, along with "When I Come Around" (it turns out I also knew Basket Case and Longview, but I didn't know those by name so I didn't realize it until I listened). I gave that record a lot of play, and a classmate of mine was really into them at the time, so she showed me some sites where I could talk about / learn more about them. After hearing "American Idiot" (the song), I went out and bought that record. This was early 2005 (I know for a fact it was before Billie Joe's birthday, because I remember seeing people talk about his birthday shortly thereafter), and I happened to have a week off of school. I spent that entire week soaking up everything I could from American Idiot, and by the time school started back up I couldn't think of anything else. I said I was experiencing withdrawal cause I literally didn't want to stop listening to that record long enough to do silly, unimportant things like school, or eating.

Every time I bought something else from their back catalog I realized there was another song I hadn't realized was theirs, but had always loved... "Waiting", "Brain Stew"... I knew "Good Riddance" back when it came out, but I didn't really know anything about Green Day at the time. I guess it's telling that that was my favorite song for a long time, well before I ever bought any of their records.

By the time Bullet in a Bible came out, I was fully entrenched and there was no turning back.

Archived