What got you into Green Day?

Insomniac45

Basically as the title says. What got you into Green Day? Also what was the first song you heard by them?

What got me into them was MTV back in 2001 or somewhere around there. I saw the Waiting video being played on MTV and have liked them ever since. So I guess the first song I heard was Waiting as well. I urged my parents to buy me Green Day stuff for my next birthday. And ever since, I've loved them!

Couldn't find a similar topic, so I thought I make one :D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good thread, we'll see how this goes :)

I wanted to piss people off because it was popular to hate them a few years back, like it is popular to hate Nickelback now. What Nickelback haters say is shitty music is why I like them too.

Some people at my school (those who only listened to old punk and claimed to be the professors in music because they owned a sex pistols album) said that GD was so shitty, they took everything way too seriously and tried to be important when they were actually just California fags. So I bought a tshirt and downloaded all the music to go against the mainstream, but then I realized I actually liked it.

Forgot to mention, this was in 2003 or something.

One thing you have to know before you read what's below is that my dad sometimes buys stuff he doesn't even know about, but it's for a cheap price so he gets it. :P

When I was about 6, my older brother (14 at the time) would borrow me his iPod sometimes. And so I was listening and listening and listening and there was a whole load of awesome bands I like today (Sum 41, NOFX, Blink-182, Good Charlotte, Green Day). But Green Day was just a part of it, they never stood out to me. About 3 years later we went to the store to get something my dad wanted and then he said we can get Green Day's International Superhits album because they sold it for a cheap price (5 Euro). Then I thought "Oh, Green Day is that cool band my brother had on his iPod!". So we bought it. I opened it and played it in the car right away. Wooooah that album blew me away! I don't know, after 3 years of not listening to Green Day I just played International Superhits and woah, Maria came on and man was it awesome! :woot: So I looked them up on YouTube and I quickly got Warning and Nimrod. The next year Breakdown was released and I got it, then I got American Idiot, and blkdjfgzoldfuinzpdirugn That is when Green Day became my favorite band.

I got into Green Day during the American Idiot era. I had never liked music before that. I heard Blvd. of Broken Dreams on the radio and was obsessed with it immediately. I'd never felt that way about a song before, so it was something completely new to me. I went out and got the CD and loved the album. I quickly looked up more about Green Day and realized that I had heard most of the Dookie songs before. I actually loved Dookie the same time I loved AI, which I think might wipe out of Green Day poser status :P Green Day has my favorite band since, and I hold them close because they opened up the world of music for me, helping me to discover other great music (The Who, the Clash, the Ramones) and by just opening up my music interests in general.

Picked up International Superhits as one of my 5 free cds for joining the BMG music club in 2003 because a friend recommended it. I guess Maria would be the first song I heard then. Somehow missed the American Idiot hysteria until late 2005 when I got Bullet in a Bible and was just floored with their performance of Jesus of Suburbia. Since then I have collected all of their albums (and pretty much stopped listening to anything else but Green Day) and flew from Hawaii just to see them in LA and San Jose on the last leg of the 21 century breakdown tour.

Why is this grey?

I got into Green Day just a few months before 21st Century Breakdown came out. One morning I turned my tv on and I saw Bullet In A Bible, they had just started playing Jesus Of Suburbia and I immediately thought "Wow that's a really good song!" and then I bought Bullet In A Bible, watched the whole show and I have never been the same ever since. I thought that it was the best band ever. Now I bought all their CDs and went tonevery single one of their shows in Paris.

I heard Boulevard when I was 14 and asked for American Idiot for Christmas! :dance:

I've always thought that if not for that album I wouldn't have picked up Guitar, discovered punk music (let alone everything else!), the DIY approach to forming a band etc. Kind of scary to think really...

I don't know for sure what the first song was, but I remember always loving Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and then, when I got itno them, being like: Woah, that's Green Day? I liked it for years and didn't look for more? :o -wise.

So, one day I scrolled through my back then with the current-radio-shit filled iPod, when 21st Century Breakdown (the song) stood out for me 'cause I just finished reading a book where this one kid wanted to attend a Green Day concert and always wore his American Idiot tee. So I gave it a listen, blah blah, became obsessed, ripped random GD songs off Youtube to look if it's worth buying a whole album, then bought Nimrod + International Superhits the same day aaaand... here I am.

i learnt english listening to green day so... i owe them alot

(one of few reasons why i can't stop saying shit and fuck)

i hated them at first (i was 8) but some reason i ended up with american idiot in my phone, and then on a french trip with school by ipod ran put of battery so it just listened to the music that was on my phone and my mates ipod (he had a bit of green day on there) and it kinda got me hyper (more than a guy who drank 3 redbulls in 5 mins) and i have been addicted ever since

I heard 21 Guns on MTV in the summer of 2009, and it was great. A year later I got in a store to buy Guitar Hero, and the only thing I found was Green Day Rockband, and it changed my life. :wub:

A dude I used to sit sit next to in history and citizenship lessons on year eight. We're pretty good friends now. He kept playing the drum beat to wake me up when September ends on the table, and singing nobody likes you to annoy people. Plus, he could play the intro to minority really well and NEVER BLOODY SHUT UP about the band. He wasn't the first person I had met who completely obsessed with Green Day so I decided to investigate.

I borrowed American Idiot from the library. Upon first listen, I felt kind of... empty when whatsername finished playing. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I went to bed a bit disappointed that night. And, then, I don't what happened overnight, but I was just itching to listen to the album again in the morning. And again and again and again. I copied the album for my own use before returning the original to the library. I started buying or copying all their albums one by one, getting totally sucked in by the lyrical themes and found the music AWESOME. I returned to school after the holidays and started singing nobody likes you WITH my friend.

Seeing the video to Longview when it was MTV's Buzz Clip (basically what mtvjams now calls video of the week) Kurt Cobain had killed himself that year and as a die hard Nirvana fanatic was left musicless for a few months after turned on mtv looking to re watch the nirvana unplugged show when they had this video with a dude destroying a couch with a killer bass line bought Dookie and since Insomniac and on I've bought every studio album on first day save for American Idiot (after Warning it was a long break and i had kinda got bored with rock and was working with rap artists) after Nirvana GD is my #2 fav rock group

An indeterminate amount of time ago I was watching a Sum 41 video on YouTube, and I saw something like 'Sum 41 Green Day and Blink 182 are the best' in the comments. So I watched Basket Case and instantly bought every single one of their albums.

I heard American Idiot and Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the radio, but my mum wouldn't let me get the album because it had a parental advisory sticker on and she was way too protective of me up to the age of 14 (I would have been 9 at the time) but despite that I fell in love with the songs and longed to hear them on the radio whenever I could.

Then in 2010, a friend offered me his dad's ticket to see GD in Manchester for £20 because his dad was sick, so I was like yeah sure why not, they're probably pretty cool. I YouTubed the, and realised they were THAT band. The band I wasn't allowed to listen to as a kid. So I bought 21st Century Breakdown, American Idiot and Dookie, went to see them live and was absolutely blown away. They've been my favourite band ever since.

What got me into Green Day? Their music.. :P

I honestly can't remember. Sometimes I think it was When I Come Around on tv in 2004. I know it was at some point that year, but I'm not sure if it was that song or another.

Got American Idiot for my birthday in 2004 maybe? Might have been 2003, can't remember. Anyway, after that I just stole everything my relatives had that was Green Day related. I ended up playing a crappy tape copy of Dookie over and over for hours at one stage :P

I heard WMUWSE and I then purchased the American Idiot album, then I was pretty much hooked :D

This is really dumb thing but well this is my story-

about 5 years ago I was on 4th grade and I had a boyfriend (it's really doesn't count as a boyfriend cause I was 10 and stupid and well we didn't do anything together just friends..) and he liked Green Day at that time and he always played American Idiot on his phone and Boulevard of Broken Dreams and that's when I started liking Green Day. Not so long after that, I bought Dookie (it was the first album that I ever bought) and I played it like thousand times a day. I was 10-11 so I didn't understand many of the lyrics cause I ain't English speaker, but the music and Billie's voice, Mike's bass, and Tre's beat really got me into them. then I bought Insomniac and later my parents gave me 21stCB, and now I have almost every album they ever released.

I think it's a shame but..the first song I heard (and loved) was 21 Guns :DD You know, it was in 2010 (Ithink(yeha I'm a pretty "new" fan)) and I wasn't really into music at all. But this song, the loudness, the little break and stuff..I just loved it. So I started looking for other songs from Green Day. The first record I found was American Idiot. I think I listened to it like..50 times? I knew all the lyrics (by listenning..so it was kinda wrong:D) And after a while I realized there are more records. And now..I own everyone of their four records :)

Just kidding :DD I have them all. From 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours to the Trilogy

:P

Poprocks and Coke was in my English textbook. I liked the song :) Then 4 years later I remembered about the song and decided to listen to it again because I was looking for bands and artists to like because I had never really been into music. Then I started listening to Poprocks and Coke and in the related videos I saw American Idiot. I had heard the name many times but I had never really heard the song so I listened to it. I loved it. Then started listening to other songs by them, but the one that really made me know I loved Green Day was Welcome to Paradise :D

When I was little I heard Minority, Warning, Longview, When I Come Around on the radio and not really thought anything of it and not known who it was. I do remember liking Warning though. Then I heard American Idiot on the radio, then BOBD and my sister got American Idiot for her birthday, she was 9 I was 8 lol. Eventually heard all the AI singles getting airplay and listening to it on the album. Around this time I heard Time Of Your Life and Warning and found out that was Green Day as well. Next couple of years I heard Saints Are Coming, Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns. I liked them all, except 21 Guns, but they were never my favorite band. Then last year I heard Walking Contradiction in a YouTube video and really liked it, and it the comments it said it was from Insomniac. So I jumped on Wikipedia and Youtube and listened to a bunch of their hits, downloaded the ones I knew and liked, and after listening to them heaps I looked at other songs from Dookie, Warning, Nimrod and Insomniac and eventually downloaded more and more songs and listened to all the albums

i guess i catched GD up before but i didnt rly take notice of them, so the first time i really took care about them was when my sister gave me AI for my 13th birthday, 2007 ^^

Archived