Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

N.Y.P.D. Officer Gives New Boots to a Homeless Man

News

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Little Boy Named Miguel

Little Boy Named Miguel
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2012
  • 178 rep

POPULAR

This is a very beautiful story I just heard about, I don't know if someone already wrote something about it here on GDC, but here it goes:

"Jennifer Foster of Florence, AZ was visiting Times Square with her husband Nov. 14 when they saw a shoeless man asking for change. She writes, “Right when I was about to approach, one of your officers came up behind him. The officer said, ‘I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let’s put them on and take care of you.’ The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man. The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching. I have been in law enforcement for 17 years. I was never so impressed in my life. I did not get the officer’s name. It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost on myself or any of the Arizona law enforcement officials with whom this story has been shared”.

Our thanks to the Fosters for their attention and appreciation, and especially to this officer, who remains annonymous."

(from the NYPD facebook page)

Posted Image

I just wish there were more people like this officer out there...
  • justcause, Rumpelstiltskin, Drop Dead Hideous and 3 others like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep
In Ireland we just put them in a squad car and drop them off at a homeless shelter. But this is cool too, I guess.

Breakdown_EE

Breakdown_EE
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2012
  • 235 rep
i think its sad that something like this is so seldom that it gets a tread or a 9gag post or news post on some websites... Everybody should do little good things like this more often than this would be ordinary and not extraordinary...

But without any question its nice of the Policeman

Harry Potter.

Harry Potter.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2012
  • 982 rep

Jennifer Foster of Florence

Me:

Posted Image

Little Boy Named Miguel

Little Boy Named Miguel
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2012
  • 178 rep

i think its sad that something like this is so seldom that it gets a tread or a 9gag post or news post on some websites... Everybody should do little good things like this more often than this would be ordinary and not extraordinary...

But without any question its nice of the Policeman

I understand your point. The only sad part is that it doesn't happen that often, that's why it deserves its own thread. Usually people are selfish and they don't care about other people, especially about homeless people, who are always marginalized! So yeah, it totally deserves its own thread, more than some other stupid things that somehow have their own threads!
I just hope that it happens more often but unfortunately this is an extraordinary thing, most of the times you listen to news about some cops who do some really cruel stuff, not only to people but also to other kind of living beings and it's such a stupid thing for them to do...
This guy is the real example of how a police officer or anybody else should be!

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep
in a ideal world this shouldn't make the news, it shouldn't real exist but i do wish there were more people like this guy around
  • Tubbie Head likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep
Maybe it's just being my cynical self, but something seems off about this.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,901 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,760 rep
It's a bit sad that this makes the news (or a thread, dunno if it made the news since I see no source in the OP [EDIT: Well that's because it's in white font so I couldn't read it, you've been here for two months bro, should know by now that using the default font is highly appreciated], but I presume it got some media attention, else the OP wouldn't have heard about it), but all the volunteers who work at homeless shelters and all the other people who help get nothing. Just because he's a cop this makes the news even though being a cop doesn't make it any more special.

Don't get me wrong, if it's not for positive media attention for the police, it's great and kudos to the man. Just sad about the state of the world :P and hypocritical but ah well.
  • Céadóg likes this

Demon!Dean

Demon!Dean
  • Moose.

• 9,262 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 2,017 rep
this is wonderful. partial faith in humanity is restored. but kudos to the kind police officer.

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 23,244 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,614 rep

Maybe it's just being my cynical self, but something seems off about this.

The cynic in me also felt it was staged or something. But saw both the officer and the woman who took the picture this morning on one of the morning news programs here and it felt more legit. The officer had no idea the picture was taken until someone actually showed it to him.

If they were acting, they should win Oscars.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep

The cynic in me also felt it was staged or something. But saw both the officer and the woman who took the picture this morning on one of the morning news programs here and it felt more legit. The officer had no idea the picture was taken until someone actually showed it to him.

I dunno, something about it just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's the fact that the homeless guy was conveniently barefoot outside a shoe store, or the incredibly cheesy dialogue.

Just kinda reminds me of the whole "give a man a fish..." metaphor. Sure, it's a nice thing to do, but he's still homeless at the coldest time of year. Chances are some other poor homeless guy will be stealing the boots off his frozen corpse in a couple of weeks.

God I'm a bundle of laughs today.

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • banana bottom

• 10,570 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,477 rep
Nothing about the NYC pat down laws though????? Strange I feel that lives up to police mentality more than this.

LudeBoy

LudeBoy
  • thei see me tverkin' thei haytin'

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011
  • 574 rep
but a paramedic gets in trouble for giving a EDIT: an elderly man a blanket. http://www.ems1.com/...g-away-blanket/

i don't understand this world sometimes.

(sorry i gots confused)

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep

but a paramedic gets in trouble for giving a homeless man a blanket. http://www.ems1.com/...g-away-blanket/

i don't understand this world sometimes.

Some paramedic did the same thing in Ireland, and he was hailed as a hero, as the guy was freezing to death. Different countries, different cultures.

Little Boy Named Miguel

Little Boy Named Miguel
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2012
  • 178 rep

I dunno, something about it just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's the fact that the homeless guy was conveniently barefoot outside a shoe store, or the incredibly cheesy dialogue.

Just kinda reminds me of the whole "give a man a fish..." metaphor. Sure, it's a nice thing to do, but he's still homeless at the coldest time of year. Chances are some other poor homeless guy will be stealing the boots off his frozen corpse in a couple of weeks.

God I'm a bundle of laughs today.

Just stop being a finger pointer and enjoy these news, it's not everyday that it happens, ok?
If you don't like it, stop writing posts on it! -.-'

Some paramedic did the same thing in Ireland, and he was hailed as a hero, as the guy was freezing to death. Different countries, different cultures.

All the cultures have good and bad things, and Ireland is no exception to that! The world is ALL screwed up, not just one country or two

Advertising

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep

Just stop being a finger pointer and enjoy these news, it's not everyday that it happens, ok?
If you don't like it, stop writing posts on it! -.-'

I never said I didn't like it, if it is legit, then it's great. It's just that something feels off about it.

And even if I didn't like it, I'm well within my rights to post that I don't like it. Suck it up.
  • Malleus likes this

Little Boy Named Miguel

Little Boy Named Miguel
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2012
  • 178 rep

Is it so hard to believe it? Well first you guys say it shouldn't be news, it should happen more often, and then you just start making a movie about it? Omg please somebody kill me right now! -.-'

I never said I didn't like it, if it is legit, then it's great. It's just that something feels off about it.

And even if I didn't like it, I'm well within my rights to post that I don't like it. Suck it up.

But I don't have to look to all the shit you write so go post in another topics you like. I'm really getting sick of your posts, really! I hope the rest of the people from Ireland are not like you ;)

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep

Is it so hard to believe it? Well first you guys say it shouldn't be news, it should happen more often, and then you just start making a movie about it? Omg please somebody kill me right now! -.-'

But I don't have to look to all the shit you write so go post in another topics you like. I'm really getting sick of your posts, really! I hope the rest of the people from Ireland are not like you http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Apologies to the mods for getting off topic, but what's so bad about my post? All I said was something felt wrong about it.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep
Okay, the reasons why I feel something is off about this incident.

1. The picture was taken by another police officer. What are the chances that only she observed this, and had a camera ready to take a picture?

2. The location of a very obviously barefoot man beside a shoe store seems weird. Like he's completely barefoot. He hasn't improvised footwear, or even a pair of socks. That's just odd.

3. The dialogue is cheesy as all hell. "‘I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let’s put them on and take care of you"? Come on, that's Disney Channel stuff.

4. Everyone concerned is conveniently anonymous.

5. The NYPD could really do with a PR boost right now, after a string of incidents as left their public image in the toilet. http://blogs.village..._council_to.php

If it were any one, or even two of these things, I'd say it's a coincidence. But it's unlikely it's that much of coincidence.

Posted Image
  • fukingcounterstrike likes this

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,963 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,894 rep
It's a little suss to me too.
I mean, if the officer genuinely just saw a homeless dude with no shoes and thought to do something nice, that's great. But I don't know. Everything Ceadog said gives me a weird feeling. Especially the fact that the homeless guy and the officer had never seen each other close-up, yet the officer still somehow knew exactly what size shoes the guy would need.
Maybe it's just hard for me to believe it was a genuine good deed because the NYPD doesn't exactly have a good reputation...

2. The location of a very obviously barefoot man beside a shoe store seems weird. Like he's completely barefoot. He hasn't improvised footwear, or even a pair of socks. That's just odd.

I don't know about this. If I was homeless and had absolutely nothing to cover my feet in the middle of winter, I'd probably sit outside a shoe shop too. Just like if I had no food I'd sit outside a grocery shop, or if I had no jacket I'd sit outside a clothing shop. Just in case (even though it'd be unlikely) a nice person would come along and help me buy some shoes/food/a jacket. He might've deliberately sat there, but I don't think his location was part of the officer's set-up.

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • banana bottom

• 10,570 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,477 rep
I can also see it as a stunt by the department. Also it says more about the man as an individual than it does for the force. If anything lets hope it acts as inspiration for more police officers rather than trying to gain trust of citizens. As far as citizens go I can only say never stop questioning authority and being provided a "service" is not justification for trust.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,250 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,712 rep
Okay, first of all, original poster, you need to calm the hell down. Nothing anyone said even remotely was meant to spark an argument. If you get so offensive over every little thing you're gonna have a hard time here.
Second, I think it's staged. This completely barefoot dude is conveniently sitting outside of a shoe store and just...agh.
  • Céadóg likes this

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • banana bottom

• 10,570 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,477 rep

Apologies to the mods for getting off topic, but what's so bad about my post? All I said was something felt wrong about it.

Aw, mods don't need apologies for anything. If anything think it a favor to them to keep them on their toes and practice at handling such situations (which I feel you kept this one on topic real well, so next time take it a step further, like maybe stretching the conversation into jelly beans or something in no relation :) )

So jelly beans huh, I like red and purple ones, yum :happy:
  • Céadóg likes this

Sugaree

Sugaree
  • Jamaican Jerk Sauce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2007
  • 1,772 rep

I can also see it as a stunt by the department. Also it says more about the man as an individual than it does for the force. If anything lets hope it acts as inspiration for more police officers rather than trying to gain trust of citizens. As far as citizens go I can only say never stop questioning authority and being provided a "service" is not justification for trust.

Oh you anarchist

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,901 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,555 rep

It's a little suss to me too.
I mean, if the officer genuinely just saw a homeless dude with no shoes and thought to do something nice, that's great. But I don't know. Everything Ceadog said gives me a weird feeling. Especially the fact that the homeless guy and the officer had never seen each other close-up, yet the officer still somehow knew exactly what size shoes the guy would need.
Maybe it's just hard for me to believe it was a genuine good deed because the NYPD doesn't exactly have a good reputation...

I don't know about this. If I was homeless and had absolutely nothing to cover my feet in the middle of winter, I'd probably sit outside a shoe shop too. Just like if I had no food I'd sit outside a grocery shop, or if I had no jacket I'd sit outside a clothing shop. Just in case (even though it'd be unlikely) a nice person would come along and help me buy some shoes/food/a jacket. He might've deliberately sat there, but I don't think his location was part of the officer's set-up.

Okay, first of all, original poster, you need to calm the hell down. Nothing anyone said even remotely was meant to spark an argument. If you get so offensive over every little thing you're gonna have a hard time here.
Second, I think it's staged. This completely barefoot dude is conveniently sitting outside of a shoe store and just...agh.

Thank fuck I'm not the only one who feels off about this.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,610 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,096 rep
Follow ups:

The homeless man is an army veteran. He had to hide his shoes because they're too valuable to wear on the streets.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users