Alice Cooper gives props to Green Day in new interview

Bolanic

From Alice Cooper.com

So with the element of shock gone, what do you think of new rock?

I am so disappointed. I go to see bands, and in our era, you had to be a great band, you had to write great songs, and you had to do a great, great show. That does not exist anymore. The old pros do it. And the Foo Fighters do it. And Green Day does it. And that's about it. There's nobody else out there. I go to see a band and they're all wearing corduroys. They've got a T-shirt on. And they all have the same beards and the hair and they're going to do an acoustic song about oil. And I'm sitting there going, "How boring is this?" Young rock bands, what happened to the swagger? You don't play rock from your brain, you play from your crotch. The testosterone's not there. And then on top of it, they have an accordion in the band! Come on! That's not rock 'n' roll, I'm sorry, that's folk-rock.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's nice, but he sounds like he is really missing out on some great bands from nowadays :P What's wrong with incorporating an accordion or other uncommon instruments into a rock band? I love that...

its nice that he likes green day :) but i think ther are alot good rock bands out there (but green day is the best)

but the last sentence is funny because BJA described the song Oh love in an interview with the exact same words " play from your crotch not from your brain" (and according to alice cooper this is bad haha) Note to myself: Learn to read you idiot ^^

That's nice, but he sounds like he is really missing out on some great bands from nowadays :P What's wrong with incorporating an accordion or other uncommon instruments into a rock band? I love that...

i agree with you that there's nothing wrong with an accordion in a rock band, though i'm sure he meant it in a different way, kinda that the music these bands do has nothing to do with rock anymore...

but the last sentence is funny because BJA described the song Oh love in an interview with the exact same words " play from your crotch not from your brain" (and according to alice cooper this is bad haha)

No, he's saying the same thing, that rock music comes from the crotch and not the brain :)

Now please excuse me while I open a bottle of wine to try and erase the image of Alice Cooper's baggy balls from my mind.

its nice that he likes green day :) but i think ther are alot rock good bands out there (but green day is the best)

but the last sentence is funny because BJA described the song Oh love in an interview with the exact same words " play from your crotch not from your brain" (and according to alice cooper this is bad haha)

No Alice is saying rock is from the crotch

I have a feeling Alice was talkin bout Mumford...

No, he's saying the same thing, that rock music comes from the crotch and not the brain :)

Now please excuse me while I open a bottle of wine to try and erase the image of Alice Cooper's baggy balls from my mind.

so he really said it just like Billie, right? kay good, cos when i read the comment i thought i just understood it wrong and re-read the OP and was confused on how he meant it :lol:

Haha, that's so cool! Nice to hear that someone like Alice Cooper, who's pretty damn big, rates Green Day :D

I love when other big-name artists talk about Green Day in a positive way! I have been a fan of Alice Cooper for about 5 years now. I've never had the chance to see them, but I've heard they can put on one hell of a show.

No Alice is saying rock is from the crotch

ok damit i need to read more accurate ... sorry my fault :D

Probably. I feel he was referring to all 'Indie Rock' in general. Which I don't really consider to be rock. I don't think rock has to be all 'shooting from the crotch', but it is true that most modern rock (read: Indie) is pretty damn bland. My three favourite bands are Green Day, Sum 41 and Linkin Park - each of which are known for mixing it up and try something different with each album, while remaining within the confines of rock.

Probably. I feel he was referring to all 'Indie Rock' in general. Which I don't really consider to be rock. I don't think rock has to be all 'shooting from the crotch', but it is true that most modern rock (read: Indie) is pretty damn bland. My three favourite bands are Green Day, Sum 41 and Linkin Park - each of which are known for mixing it up and try something different with each album, while remaining within the confines of rock.

Actually I think I prefer many Indie bands to the Rock bands nowadays... But I don't like to categorize musical genres, specially into the Indie Rock thing, 'cause I never really understood what it is, I only know I like many bands that are categorized as Indie :lol:

Alice Cooper is a classy guy in general :) In those VH1 Best Songs countdowns he's always one of the people admiring Billie Joe's songwriting. He said he liked the self-effacing lyrics of Basket Case and the maturity of Good Riddance.

And Billie hearts him too.

alicecooperc.jpg

I think it's good that bands like Green Day and the Foo Fighters get recognition from their peers, it's good free advertising and also it might prove to Billie that people are acknowledging him and the band whilst he's still recovering

Foo Fighters and Green Day simply put on memorable performances. Always. Most other bands just perform and exit. You don't walk away feeling like you've just experience the best concert ever. That's what rock lacks these days. It's a good thing we still have these few bands that can still keel the live act of rock and shock alive.

Well said Alice...id thought he'd never would have said The Word "Swagger"

Archived