"Our heroes following rules that they once disobeyed." - A reflexion about Green Day

Moyeszet

I love topics like this...they are a perfect mixture of comedy and teenage angst (really good comedy :lol: ). If only i didn't have a crazy high temperature and the inability to focus on anything for more than ten seconds (fuck you sinus infection! :sick: ) i might have some fun with this.

All i will say is

a) Shock of horrors a fifteen year old changes his posters

b) Lost Prophets hahahahaha

c) Love how Billie's attitude has changed so much but not Tre/Mike ...you do realise they are all in the same band and promotion (angry birds etc that bugs you) is BAND promotion...and most likely Warners idea?

d) You love real punk ideals etc but eyeliner on guys makes you cringe...seems you actually just care about image to me. You may now google/youtube search Green Day from 1991 (you know before you were born) and you will find they were wearing eyeliner (and sometimes dresses) then. It wasn't some trend...which is more than i can say for your interest in them.

e) You are young but it doesn't excuse your lack of knowledge about a person you are criticising personally...Billie (and the other GD guys) used drugs long before they were ever on MTV...everyone and their mum knows that!! Congrats...you are FIFTEEN and straightedge...must be challenging...all that temptation at fifteen...Whatever dude...i am 28 and straightedge and i couldn't give a shit that the guys do or did any or all kinds of drugs. Being straightedge is MY personal choice and not something i even tell people normally and the same goes for people who chose to use drugs...who the fuck am i to judge anyone? And who the fuck are you? Plus I'm 28...i live at my parents (because after five years of college and a masters degree i can't get a freaking job...fuck the economy!) but i have nothing but respect for Green Day and it doesn't make me anymore "punk" than anyone else...it just makes me broke...you will grow up.

Toodles...

You just told how fucking young and stupid she is, but you couldn't argue with the most important things.

Is that a good thing when you say "i do whatever the fuck i want", then you release a music video for a movie you fucking hate?

Is that a good thing when you say you hate modern technology, then you'll have a game for the modern phones with your name?

Is that cool when you say you want to keep rock&roll alive, then you write a rap song?

THESE are the important questions, i don't give a shit about the posters or Lostprohets.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Honey Emerald

EVERYONE has their own hypocritical moment... and the moment they realize it...they make changes.

Years ago Billie Joe talked about how it was bad to have alcohol around children... perhaps he came to the realization of what his behavior was (an addiction) that needed changing. He should be commended for recognizing his problem and seeking to correct it.

From what I have seen... The band has always been trying to do the right thing.

Being on The Voice as a mentor... Billie Joe Armstrong is able to teach people that it is possible to become good writing their own songs... and he is able to draw viewers into another genre of music by being present.

As to "The Forgotten" being on Twilight... one should really look at who was responsible for the entire soundtrack... not just one song. If you feel that the person who chose all of the songs to record for the soundtrack should be fired for supporting Green Day and trying to get the word out about their music... then perhaps you could send a letter of protest to their employer and as a result there will not be any more Green Day songs on ANY MOVIES in the future so that it will suit the greedy nature of their "fan" who has decided to take down her posters of them.

Some people might, but I still listen to everything that I've ever liked. I don't listen to them all the time, but I don't think they're crap either.

That is a point. I don't think the bands I liked are crap. I just stopped listening to them as much.

Also, yup, I am young I am a stupid.

(and the first part wasn't supposed to go here at first. It was a tumblr post. I just, kind of forgot where I was posting. you can forget it, I edited it out.)

Yeah, seriously chaps, if you disagree with the OP then by all means say so and give reasons, but if you're just gonna pick on someone because of their age then you should really go and have a wank instead. Much more productive.

That is a point. I don't think the bands I liked are crap. I just stopped listening to them as much.

This is what I feel like. But not about Green Day.

The band can't control their concert prices like they tried to in the 90s. They're just too big and there's no way that they would be able successfully have cheap concert tickets. I think Billie even said that the band ended up getting set back alot of money during the 21stCB tour. Although, for a band their size, the prices aren't too awful (I know they can get expensive, but look at some other artists' ticket prices).

At the end of the day, Green Day is still Green Day, regardless of how they dress, what soundtrack their on, or what TV show they appear on. They might not make the "punkest" decisions (I use the term punk loosely), but as a band, they have some of the "punkest" ideals I've ever seen. They make the music they want, on their terms, and they're pretty big supporters of local bands. Plus, they care about us fans to a degree that I would have never thought possible with a band their size.

At the end of the day, just pop in some of their CDs and enjoy the music.

I don't care about making public appearances in talkshows and shit, i care about these stupid things like actually being a mentor in the Voice.

It's not like talking 10 minutes with Letterman.

whats the difference? They were on American Idol a few years back... Billie gives advice to young artists countless times but if he does it on tv its a nail in the coffin?

Dos had some questionable moments it's true.

The band can't be making songs like Fuck Time and Nightlife.

(i hope you meant it sarcastically and not serious, then ou can ignore the rest of my comment :P ) :shok: ...Fuck Time and Nightlife are my favorite songs off Dos, i know Nightlife ís not really everyone's favorite but in my opinion it's great and something completely new and well, Fuck Time is such a great song...

Yup, most of the bands I like live off their shows...but Green Day are very rich, and they will still be able to live the same life if they lower a bit the tickets price like they always have done. 60 pounds is not 60 dollars. 60 pounds is 96 dollars. 100 dollars for a ticket? Fuck no.

you do know that most such as popular bands as green day sell their tickets for far more? sure they could be a bit cheaper but considering that you don't really earn much money with CDs anymore and make most of the money with touring, i think that's the reason why the prices are so high...though i do agree, they could maybe be a tiny bit cheaper...

You just told how fucking young and stupid she is, but you couldn't argue with the most important things.

Is that a good thing when you say "i do whatever the fuck i want", then you release a music video for a movie you fucking hate?

Is that a good thing when you say you hate modern technology, then you'll have a game for the modern phones with your name?

Is that cool when you say you want to keep rock&roll alive, then you write a rap song?

THESE are the important questions, i don't give a shit about the posters or Lostprohets.

Like I said earlier, Twilight-case wasn't their to decide. The band was on little hiatus and big bosses are going crazy because of promoting this huge thing like "what the fuck we're gonna do now? Twilight, oh that vampire shit makes money sooo much, let's make a deal with them, we need to do something even without the band on the spotlight".

I think they never said that they HATE modern technology. And once again, what do you think what you can say when there's again this big boss of Warner who says: "So you have your new record out and it's selling well. We made a deal with Harmonix and were going to make a video game of you guys with them".

There's these thing called contracts, when you sign them, you agree to work for the record company how they say. Like this promotion stuff and other shit like The Voice, Rock Band. You need to sign the contract if you want to publish your record and have some money from it. And there comes these things too, it's in their contract.

And Nightlife is just a one song, not an album. It didn't change their style of music.

It's weird to think that they're not as good as before if Billie Joe appears in few The Voice episodes. Billie Joe was on Haunted episode in 2002, the band was in The Chris Isaac show in the early 2000's. And I think this was waaaaay more lame than The Voice:

Don't quote videos

Well, Billie Joe doesn't trying to find the new One Direction here.

sorry for quoting video, won't happen next time :)

I think I understand RedMin's feelings. My suggestion is to continue to listen to Green Day's music, but don't idolize them so much. They obviously don't share all of your values, although they probably share a few. I don't think Billie Joe, Mike, and Tre really want to be idolized anyhow. My next suggestion would be to find someone you can latch onto who has maintained their ideals over a long period of time. I might point you in the direction of a Jello Biafra who has consistently done his best to practice what he preaches. Even then, you'll still find some hypocrisy, unfortunately that's inevitable. I had the same problem as you for a while though. It's sort of about us projecting what we think Green Day should be onto the band and turning them into something they're not.

Well, Billie Joe doesn't trying to find the new One Direction here.

Dude, he was a mentor on The Voice. He just gave advises for the signers. Not a big deal. He wasn't a judge.

Give it a few years. Then you'll come back and read your OP and laugh at yourself. We all think these things. And we all get over them.

This whole post. So much this whole post. When I was 13 or so, Smash Mouth ruled my musical world. Fush Yu Mang was the greatest album ever written, and no song could ever touch the genius of "Walking on the Sun". In 1999, I was disappointed to see that their followup album, Astro Lounge, had taken a strong turn towards kid-friendly pop punk, rather than the heavy, grunge feel of their debut. In 2001, they covered a fucking Monkees song on the Shrek soundtrack, and I was done. Sellout = complete.

Thing is, when I picked Fush Yu Mang up again after 7-8 years of forgetting the band existed, I remembered that, yeah, their followup work might have sucked, and they might have completely sold out to Disney and become a kids-punk band (does such a thing exist?!), but that debut album belongs in the conversation with some of the best punk albums ever made. It's that fucking good.

Ceadog's absolutely right. You'll grow out of your Green Day phase, as you're already doing, and put them aside for a few years. Odds are you'll pick AI back up a few years down the line, then listen to some other albums again, and you'll hear them from a new angle. You're not listening to them as a 15-year-old with tastes as fickle as the wind, but as a young adult listening with a more critical ear. You might not grow to like them as much as you once did, but you'll be able to appreciate the music behind the guyliner.

Yup, most of the bands I like live off their shows...but Green Day are very rich, and they will still be able to live the same life if they lower a bit the tickets price like they always have done. 60 pounds is not 60 dollars. 60 pounds is 96 dollars. 100 dollars for a ticket? Fuck no.

so basically you're saying Green Day are rich and successful so they owe me money... hmm. If you want a huge show you have to pay for it, otherwise you dont have too. And they do have cheap shows at little venues and clubs, but then only a few hundred people get to see them. They're a big band now on high demand. If they went around only playing clubs what good would that do. Most of the fans would be alienated. see the conundrum there?

All I got from that wall of text was:

1. I can't meet Green Day, but I can meet other bands.

2. Billie Joe is a sellout and no longer "punk" because he helped mentor up and coming artists on a TV show.

3. Green Day are sellouts for having a song on a movie soundtrack.

4. Green Day has a bad attitude now so I'm not going to buy two of their CDs.

I understand you're 15, but can you at least make some rational arguments before posting? I didn't know that giving other people advice, specifically those that look up to you, could define you as a "sellout". Also, you keep mentioning this "evolution" of Green Day and this and that, but Green Day is still the same ol' Green Day except they're older. If you've been following the whole concept of ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, and ¡Tre!, it's essentially a return back to their roots, in which they started performing and writing new music that reflected their image and style from past. It's no longer about the rock opera themes.

With massive credit to Green Day, lawn tickets on the 2010 N. American tour were only $20.

Also, Green Day does not set ticket prices. The promoter does.

Umm as far as im aware the tickets prices for shows dont go by one country. If they are 60 pounds in the Uk thats the UK only it doesnt account for other ticket prices. Tickets will still be around 60 dollars in the US. 60 euro in Europe etc. And again they are making a living and they dont get all the money that os earned from ticket sales either. As someone else said crew has to paid, the venue has to paid. Record company gets a cut etc. Certainly green day have money but like i said its what they do for a living like everyone else they make money from their job.

Hi there...never called her stupid

Given Billie's numerous mentions on Robert Patterson (sometimes in a rather positive light) how do you know they really hated Twilight? All they ever said was "like Twilight but good"...think you'll find it's the Green Day FANS that hate it.

When did they say they hate modern technology lmao?

Seriously...they make one song (Nightlife with rap elements which by the way bands like No Doubt were doing fifteen years ago) and that disregards any and all "rock n roll" songs they have ever done...alrighty then.

Also i can chose what parts of a discussion i chose to respond to...

Hi there...never called her stupid

Given Billie's numerous mentions on Robert Patterson (sometimes in a rather positive light) how do you know they really hated Twilight? All they ever said was "like Twilight but good"...think you'll find it's the Green Day FANS that hate it.

When did they say they hate modern technology lmao?

Seriously...they make one song (Nightlife with rap elements which by the way bands like No Doubt were doing fifteen years ago) and that disregards any and all "rock n roll" songs they have ever done...alrighty then.

Also i can chose what parts of a discussion i chose to respond to...

agree with you...Billie said that he likes Robert Pattinson in the past and that quote "like Twilight but good" was probably just a joke...everyone interpreted that he doesn't like that movie when in reality he probably didn't even mean it that serious, also maybe he even knew that The Forgotten is gonna be in the movie and wanted to lead us into the wrong direction or maybe wanted us to be completely confused when this comes out, dunno however it was, i wouldn't take that little sentence too serious...

and they never really said anything negative about technology in general, they just said that the iPad is shit and said that people like Steve Jobs should know when enough is enough...that just means that he's pretty critical about it all and not that he hates it completely nd even if he did, he's still human and can change his opinion...

You claim that this whole "ohmigawdzz, they're not punk enough!" thing stupid (I agree, by the way) is, but then proceed to list things they've (or... Bille) sold themselves out with? Mhhm.

because its a fuckin difference. you dont have to be punk to keep credibility and your fucking soul. they are fucking multiple millionairs. they dont have to do anything warner tells them.

I don't quite understand about the whole getting upset over them "selling out" thing. Green Day are artists, but also businessmen. It's how they make their living and provide for their families.

What right does anyone have to decide whether they should sell a song for a movie soundtrack or market little plastic dollies of themselves? They owe us nothing, if we like their music we listen to it and buy tickets for their shows and if we don't we can go watch X Factor and kiss Simon Cowell's arse. It's a choice we all have.

thats because you maybe have different values than others... they could provide 1000 families without raising their ticket prizes like that. and then playing 25 songs in germany... sound like an egoistic rockstar thing to do (see oh love video). if you dont care if the members of the band you like are assholes, your thing. accept others care.

With massive credit to Green Day, lawn tickets on the 2010 N. American tour were only $20.

Also, Green Day does not set ticket prices. The promoter does.

thats just naive. i know it from many other bands that they do have a big influence on ticket prizes. thats why they used to be really fair prized. i wont go to a show with this prizes and i hope they will fall on their asses with that and shows won't sell out.

thats because you maybe have different values than others... they could provide 1000 families without raising their ticket prizes like that. and then playing 25 songs in germany... sound like an egoistic rockstar thing to do (see oh love video). if you dont care if the members of the band you like are assholes, your thing. accept others care.

Once again, just sayin', they played 30+ songs every night of the 2010 N. American amphitheater tour, and there were $20 lawn tickets available every night. Shows went on for three hours. By comparison, most bands today play 18-22 songs in a 1h45m set, including the encore, before calling it a night, and they don't offer $20 tickets.

because its a fuckin difference. you dont have to be punk to keep credibility and your fucking soul. they are fucking multiple millionairs. they dont have to do anything warner tells them.

Okay, I get your point.

And that set list... This makes me so upset. I paid 60 euro for this. 60 bucks. I mean, not that I regret it - I love this band to death and would have paid even more, but... wow. Fuck that. And it were 23 songs, to be exact.

Once again, just sayin', they played 30+ songs every night of the 2010 N. American amphitheater tour, and there were $20 lawn tickets available every night. Shows went on for three hours. By comparison, most bands today play 18-22 songs in a 1h45m set, including the encore, before calling it a night, and they don't offer $20 tickets.

yeah that just supports my point. they suddenly changed from being a mainstream band left with some credibility to pseudo rockstars. its been 23 songs (thanks for the correction) for 90 dollars in germany this year.

Archived