Did Billie Joe ruin Green Day's comeback?

Bam-Itz-GreenDay

My dad and I were just talking about this topic. Do you think Billie Joe ruined Green Day's comeback? My dad made some pretty valid points. They had momentum. They were on a roll. And then their rock and roll train of life took an emergency brake. Some shows were cancelled, some postponed. How do you feel about this?

(By comeback, I mean new album things. Like how ¡DOS! Had to be fan-promoted because the band couldn't and/or wouldnt do it.)

You and your dad talk about Green Day together? You have one cool Dad.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, he didnt ruin it. And as other people have said, the marketing thing is not in Billie's hands but what the marketing people needed was the band in public to make more marketing and the process we all know (interviews, radio shows, etc.), but we all know is that Billie Joe's health is first. I can bet there was alot of pressure because of three albums and stuff but, come on, he is just one of us, he is just a human. His health is first, we all want him healthy and full of energy as always, and he's gonna take all the time that he needs. So, no, he didnt ruin it.

Well, I don't think is Billie's fault at all. Billie has been using drugs for so many years, so this would happen earlier or later.

I think the decline of sales is not about Billie's problem, this is related to the bad decisions taken by reprise/warner to promote the trilogy. Therefore, too much stuff in a brief period of time. ¡DOS! hasn't been promoted in a decent way, considering that is an amazing record.

So, Billie just attract media's attention because of his problem, but the fans have given a good response to support him (In terms of sales and greetings). Consequently, Billie hasn't ruined anything.

Honestly I don't think Billie ruined anything. He had an issue, he needed help. Better to fuck up a comeback than to be dead and never have the chance to comeback again. To many musicians have died to alcohol and drug related injuries for me to be able to bear seeing Billie do the same. The greatest comeback for Green Day will be an entirely sober Billie, I've been at the entrance of this road myself. I stopped it all before I fucked myself up, and ruined everything around me. Props to Billie for getting his shit straight thus far, I hope it works.

Well, I don't think is Billie's fault at all. Billie has been using drugs for so many years, so this would happen earlier or later.

I think the decline of sales is not about Billie's problem, this is related to the bad decisions taken by reprise/warner to promote the trilogy. Therefore, too much stuff in a brief period of time. ¡DOS! hasn't been promoted in a decent way, considering that is an amazing record.

Ahhh yep

It's Warner's fault it no way at all the fault of the person who's drinking too much nope Warner made him do it!

You know I love Green Day but to not say Billie is at fault for some of the problems with the trilogies is just beyond fanboying it doesnt make u less of a fan to admit that... RUINED? No HURTED the albums? Yes

(I'm not attacking Billie by it I'm glad he's working to get better fuck the sales his health is waaayyyy more important)

Ahhh yep

It's Warner's fault it no way at all the fault of the person who's drinking too much nope Warner made him do it!

You know I love Green Day but to not say Billie is at fault for some of the problems with the trilogies is just beyond fanboying it doesnt make u less of a fan to admit that... RUINED? No HURTED the albums? Yes

(I'm not attacking Billie by it I'm glad he's working to get better fuck the sales his health is waaayyyy more important)

Well, maybe I was not really clear in how to express my point of view.

Billie has been drinking alcohol and using drugs for so many years: Yes, that's true (However, Green Day has sold around 60 million records worldwide around 20 years of career) . He needs to get a treatment for his "substances abuse": DEFINITELY YES!!

However, the way of the record label has promoted the trilogy hasn't been good. You know, it's a trilogy. So many singles released at UNO "era", then nothing about DOS but Stray heart, then a song from TRÉ. We,The fans, maybe could get all the news and updates and whatever from the trilogy, nevertheless what about the "potential" new fans??? Some stuff in certain action tv shows, other stuff on movies like Twilight, awful videoclips, etc. It's a mess, you know.

Well, maybe I was not really clear in how to express my point of view.

Billie has been drinking alcohol and using drugs for so many years: Yes, that's true (However, Green Day has sold around 60 million records worldwide around 20 years of career) . He needs to get a treatment for his "substances abuse": DEFINITELY YES!!

However, the way of the record label has promoted the trilogy hasn't been good. You know, it's a trilogy. So many singles released at UNO "era", then nothing about DOS but Stray heart, then a song from TRÉ. We,The fans, maybe could get all the news and updates and whatever from the trilogy, nevertheless what about the "potential" new fans??? Some stuff in certain action tv shows, other stuff on movies like Twilight, awful videoclips, etc. It's a mess, you know.

A label needs a band to promote a record without Billie there is no band ao yeah Warner is holding off promo til Billie gets back do you know how much promo costs? Labels are very hesitante to heavily promote a record without an active band. While I'm not saying the promo before Billie's meltdown was top notch either bit the lack of during the rehab is not all of Warner fault... (unless you want to donate a few million dollars to em without em paying you back they'll gladly promote then)

A label needs a band to promote a record without Billie there is no band ao yeah Warner is holding off promo til Billie gets back do you know how much promo costs? Labels are very hesitante to heavily promote a record without an active band. While I'm not saying the promo before Billie's meltdown was top notch either bit the lack of during the rehab is not all of Warner fault... (unless you want to donate a few million dollars to em without em paying you back they'll gladly promote then)

It's clear that Green Day is just a product for Reprise Rec/warner. The record label needs to invest in order to earn money, how? Good promotion (That's record label job. Remember: ISH and Shenanigans for instance).

The band doesn't earn so much money selling records, they do that playing live on concerts.

It's clear that Green Day is just a product for Reprise Rec/warner. The record label needs to invest in order to earn money, how? Good promotion (That's record label job. Remember: ISH and Shenanigans for instance).

The band doesn't earn so much money selling records, they do that playing live on concerts.

Promotion is BOTH a record label and the band's job it's a two way street... as 14 years in music including doing work at Atlantic I can say they're not going to invest MILLIONS of dollars on something they don't have an active band to work with... yes Green Day is product to the label it's business dont mean they dont care bout Billie's wellfare they do

Who knows if they ever really had a "comeback". Rock music isn't what's in today. But I think it has definitely diminished something that could have been a great time in their careers.

What is with all these threads lately :pinch: ...i'm just going to go bang my head of something hard.

Just be glad you missed all the "Billie Joe's got throat cancer" threads of '05/'06.

well if Billie didn't go into rehab their comeback might have been messed up really bad! and now they can have a comeback from their comeback and it will be mahusive ;) they will call it a comecomeback...hmm...

Just be glad you missed all the "Billie Joe's got throat cancer" threads of '05/'06.

Jesus ...that must be why it always comes up on google when you type his name ...the mind boggles.

most of you have already said exactly what I think, but I'll just sum up what I have to say anyway:

First, no, he didn't ruin anything, I think about him all the time ever since iheart and only hope he gets better, he needs it. According to your logic he had to continue promoting the albums despite his state... and I can't even think of any fans who would want that.

Second, yes of course the promotion of the albums sucks at this point, but I'm sure that it's something Green Day will fix as soon as Billie gets better, I'm expecting a shit load of interviews and tv appearances :happy: and I'm really looking forward to see videos of them playing shows in different places, he'd be so happy once his back... :happy:

My last point is, have you even thought of the fact that, because of Billie's state, they could have left things as they were, Tré would have been released in January, and they could have promoted it right after that, in January or February, but they didn't mind the promotion, or how much attention would these albums recieve from the general public, they put their fans first and decided to release Tré in December, and though it will harm the promotion a little, it's still really amazing of them when you think about it

No. Just no. It's just wrong to think that way. It's like if I have al alcoholism problem, I get too drunk and my friends start telling me the next day that I fucked up all their night. So apart from my problem I'd have to hear my friends whining about me, hearing their bad reactions and comments and feel I let down people I liked. I guess for Billie's case it's more or less the same, but applied in a band-fans relationship. I doubt Billie feels very good about it and those commentaries don't help. Of course Billie didn't 'ruin' anything.

The first thing I want to say is, like others already said, it's not a comeback.

Billie Joe's health is the most important thing and it's good that he takes his time and that Mike and Tré support their friend so much. The health of their friend's more important to them than the band. I'm relieved that they take Billie's rehab serious and that they take the time till Billie feels better. It's right that they can't promote the trilogy but the fans will always support them and they'll keep buying the albums.

I'm not mad at you Bam, you just asked a question, but to me Billie didn't ruin the 'comeback'

• 3 weeks later...

No Way!!! If anything he helped it. After his crazy rant he was kind of everywhere. All anyone ever talked about for a while was 'Oh, did you hear about Green Day at iheart?'. And these were people who didn't have a clue about who Green Day was before (i know right? who doesn't know about green day!!??). So in a way, it helped them gain popularity

Yes i agree with you actually. While Billie's health comes first, it basically killed the band for a couple months and it was the worst time too, right after UNO and before Dos and Tre. Ever since late September the band itself has been virtually dead. Sure Dos and tre came out but the band itself has done nothing. I'm not going to say they're back until i see those U.S tour dates announced and them making some TV appearences. I'm sorry i had to make this post but it is the honest truth

My dad and I were just talking about this topic. Do you think Billie Joe ruined Green Day's comeback? My dad made some pretty valid points. They had momentum. They were on a roll. And then their rock and roll train of life took an emergency brake. Some shows were cancelled, some postponed. How do you feel about this?

(By comeback, I mean new album things. Like how ¡DOS! Had to be fan-promoted because the band couldn't and/or wouldnt do it.)

Personally, I'm a little worried for Billie-Joe's health, and I'm a little worried about the fact that some of their shows had to be cancelled. Billie-Joe's health definitely comes first, though - we don't want him to end up like another Michael Jackson, or any of the other band members, for that matter. However, as someone who has never had a chance to see Green Day live before, I have to say I was more than a little gutted to hear about the cancellation of shows, and hope, hope, hope that they get back on their feet soon. I really hope that they make it over somewhere in the vicinity of New Zealand sometime in 2013 (ie, Auckland, Australia), or China/Japan in Summer of 2013 (ie, December for us).

As for the fan promotion of the albums: Meh, they've done stuff like this with their other albums and survived. Like, their albums in their middle years didn't receive a lot of attention, and imo have turned out to be their best work. Shenanigans definitely didn't (receive a lot of attention that is - there is still some good stuff on there). I'm more concerned about the fact that they don't appear to be doing a huge world tour like they did with American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, despite the fact that a three-album series plus a documentary DVD in my book would constitute a worldwide tour.

Archived