Did Billie Joe ruin Green Day's comeback?

Bam-Itz-GreenDay

Every rock star in the history of forever has substance problems. I still have no idea why people fail to grasp this.

I unfortunately have to agree, and say that when I heard he was in rehab I wasn't horribly shocked. The man's a fucking genius, though, and he, unlike many other rock stars in the history of forever, has the support of his bandmates and his gorgeous family. So that gives me reassurance.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every rock star in the history of forever has substance problems. I still have no idea why people fail to grasp this.

all the good ones anyway

This thread is fuckin bullshit. As fans we don't have the right to say he ruined anything. This is a personal fuckin matter, we still got our damn albums, granted the shows got delayed but fuck we get tre earlier for it. When it boils down to I couldn't give a fuck less if this cost the albums promotion, if sales suffer or (god forbid) they lose their fuckin contract with warner. If billie's got a problem, give billie the time to fix it. Fuck, he just gave us 3 god damn albums worth of new material (that's a quarter of their albums in one lump). Any fan base would be fuckin ecstatic to get that kind of fan service.

Billie can be everything he was before but clean and around for that much longer. I like to think that green day care enough about their fans to at least skim forums like this every few days and to post something like this here (working on that assumption) is only to kick a man that's already down. I've been through recovery myself and assuming his program isn't a fucking joke, his is no doubt facing what his problems have led to in terms of the trilogy. But really, fuck album sales (they're legendary enough), fuck profit (they've got money) and fuck warner (there's no doubt they can survive without warner), fuck the fans (we've got our material), billie's health and family are what's important. Threads like this are as horrible as TMZ.

Shut this bullshit down. Please.

The whole trilogy was a bad idea. So was the angry birds game, going on The Voice and Forgotten going in Twilight

Oh for the love of anything unholy, PLEASE /thread.

Aside from a few dipshit replies here and there, this thread has actually had some decent conversation. Definitely a poor choice of title by the OP, who has admitted as much (and is free to change the title of her topic if she so chooses), but not bad discussion on the whole. Far worse has gone on for far longer.

Personally, I don't think they were ever slated for a "comeback". Green Day's popularity seems to be cyclical and despite some amazing music from the trilogy, it didn't seem to catch on like AI and even 21CB did. So I don't think Billie ruined anything. Now, it certainly didn't help ¡Dos!, but I don't think these albums were going to sell that awesomely anyway (despite that they should)

I think Billie Joe didn't ruin Green day just because okay for the past few months all i see is green day in the newpaper GREEN DAY SINGER OUT OF HOSPITAL or 'He doesn't want to be American Idiot: Billie Joe Heads to Rehab. Oh love was on much music at like 8am. Online it like youtube ads where just GREEN DAY for a bit. On Facebook their were ads to well maybe i just see them. And about Dos being self promoted by fans i actually think was just a way we show that we care about the music because really is someone tells me they dont like oh love or they just dont like Green Day i don't really care. I understand people wanna see them at like awards shows well i know i do just because it show like oh yeah green day is just that much more awesomer then ..... idk ( insert band/ singer here) so no in the end i dont think billie joe ruin anything at all man he needs a break like mike said they never really rested since american idiot so y'know c:

Billie's addiction has definitely had a negative impact on these albums' promotion. They had to postpone tour dates and and cancel public appearances. Green Day are pretty much off the map right now, nowhere to be found, even though two out of their three new studio albums have been released in the past two months.

Clearly it wasn't the OP's intention to blame Billie Joe for ruining Green Day's "comeback" or whatever you want to call it; An unhappy choice of words has led everyone to misunderstand her original point and therefore take the discussion completely off track.

This thread is fuckin bullshit. As fans we don't have the right to say he ruined anything. This is a personal fuckin matter, we still got our damn albums, granted the shows got delayed but fuck we get tre earlier for it. When it boils down to I couldn't give a fuck less if this cost the albums promotion, if sales suffer or (god forbid) they lose their fuckin contract with warner. If billie's got a problem, give billie the time to fix it. Fuck, he just gave us 3 god damn albums worth of new material (that's a quarter of their albums in one lump). Any fan base would be fuckin ecstatic to get that kind of fan service.

Billie can be everything he was before but clean and around for that much longer. I like to think that green day care enough about their fans to at least skim forums like this every few days and to post something like this here (working on that assumption) is only to kick a man that's already down. I've been through recovery myself and assuming his program isn't a fucking joke, his is no doubt facing what his problems have led to in terms of the trilogy. But really, fuck album sales (they're legendary enough), fuck profit (they've got money) and fuck warner (there's no doubt they can survive without warner), fuck the fans (we've got our material), billie's health and family are what's important. Threads like this are as horrible as TMZ.

Please stop overreacting. The OP's original point (or her dad's point, idk) was that Billie Joe's addiction has had/will have a negative impact on these albums' sales. I think we are all aware Billie Joe is going through a rough time and that his well-being is more important than any promotion, but that doesn't change the fact it is going to affect the albums' chart performance somehow.

I agree that this forum is a bunch of bullshit as well. Granted, doing something like this when your THREE albums are supposed to be released within the next couple of months wasn't a smart thing to do at all but hey... shit happens. In a way, it brought more attention to Green Day. Not in a positive way but when the hell does Green Day ever get positive attention? Hardly ever because people like to pick apart every fucking action they make.This is just an even bigger excuse for the media to be all over them.

I believe It wasn't the iHeart thing, I think it was Billie's rehab that kind of ruined the trilogy not the Green Day. But I'm convienced that they can make everyhthing alright when they come back and I will always adore them.

RUIN? I think that's kind of too strong to use. I mean, shit happens you know =/ . Billie is only human, and has issues like all of us.

I don't even know how that question can be asked. Of course he didn't ruin it! Absolutely not! And what comeback are we talking about here? They have still held their popularity since 21CB what with the Broadway play and Billie's performances as St. Jimmy. I think this has been a flourishing time for Green Day and Billie has not ruined anything by having to go to rehab. Sure, they are missing many promotion opportunities, but let's face it. They all needed this break. They have been working so hard all this time it's about time they took it easy for a little while. It's quite possible that we wouldn't have seen the Green Day we wanted to in interviews, concerts, and the like if they had continued to push themselves past he point of exhaustion. We still know Green Day is here and we still know they'll be back and better than ever soon. That's what matters. That and the fact that Billie is doing something he needs to do in order to keep himself healthy and give himself a rest. I don't think this is a bad thing for Green Day at all. As soon as they come back, everyone will know because they will be loud and in your face with their energy, enthusiasm, and kick-ass rock and roll!

i think this thread is stupid, Billie isn't ruining anything. He has problems like all other humans and I'm glad he's getting help. His health is more important than the success of those albums

I have a lot of opinions about this very broad situation, but I will just say that I think he kind of did, albeit not on purpose (because you can't really blame someone for something like this). It was just an unfortunate occurrence you can't really blame on anyone.

But overall, I think the 'comeback' has been stifled by a number of things: The "meltdown," incredibly bad marketing, lack of coherent single releases, the fact that it's a trilogy, the fact the the albums have come out so closely together and the band is not behind them to prop them up, etc...

I think the iHeartRadio incident gave ¡Uno! some big publicity, but it's kind of fizzled out since then. I really wish I could see the alternate reality where Billie doesn't take a break and they continue to tour and promote the albums, but sadly, that'll never happen.

I can see both sides of the argument. They could be on tour right now, ripping up every city they visit, and it's because of Billie's issues that they had to pull of out of those dates. So in that way, yes, sort of.

But I would stop short of saying that it's his fault, or that he ruined anything. It's just a very unfortunate situation with even worse timing.

Take this with a grain of salt- is anyone here in the Community familiar with a podcast called Walking the Room? Or for that matter, a comedian named Greg Behrendt? Well, Greg is from the Bay Area and has "been a fan for a long time" (his words to me). On Episode #123 of the podcast, Greg and the other co-host discuss the iHeart incident briefly. Greg claims to have "friends in the camp" who say that they absolutely did not see any of this coming.

Obviously, that contradicts the tabloid reports from those anonymous sources who are said to be close to the band. And yes, this particular horse has been beaten to death. I'm just throwing it out there as a differing opinion, although there's really no more proof of it than anything else that's been reported.

lol the majority of this thread is people focusing on like two words form the original post and then taking offense to it. The words ruined and comeback.

Yes it is Billies fault for his own prediciment people blatently defending him are blind. As for the comeback thing, the original poster already said it could have been phrased better. But comeback isint a dirty word either which some people on here seem to think it is. Techinally it is their comeback from a few years off yeah people have twisted the word comeback in the music industry to mean a star who has fallen and has come back which it can apply to but Green Day did come back this year after a few years so yeah technically a comeback period. This thread is no more useful than the stupid speculation going on else where.

No I don't think he did. I'm sad about not be able to see Green Day now, but I don't blame Billie. It' just going through a hard time right now and he's getting better. Many bands go through similar things.

Hell, it gave the band maybe even more publicity.

The marketing has just been atrocious.

This could be true. The Friday after Billie's breakdown everyone in my EMT class was talking about Billie and Green Day.

You know - in the long run, perhaps it will be easier to promote the trilogy after they have been released rather than trying to sell each one individually with the band making appearances in between release dates. I mean, this is the situation that that band has been dealt, so I'm just hoping that good will come out of it. I DO honestly think it would've been a nightmare to promote three albums so close together. Part of me really does think that it will be easier to sell the albums as a set (or as someone else mentioned, maybe do a "best of" compilation from all three albums) rather than doing tv appearances and concerts over the span of three months. Honestly, that would've been confusing. I just think of a late night talk show host being like "Uno comes out this Tuesday! And then pick up Dos in November! And then Tre in January!" had the band been able to make such promotional appearances. For those who casually follow the band or are just hearing the band for the first time, it IS a bit confusing from the promotional/marketing standpoint.

Long story short: In my heart, I really think that this delay will wind up being for the best all around. Most importantly for Billie's health, of course, but for the trilogy as well.

no...i dont' think so. Billie Joe is a MAN and as such he has his own personal problems. HE HIS A MAN ..he his not god!!!! He did not ruin anything! Ok maybe if he had not had that meltdown The trilogy sales would be doing better (maybe yes, maybe no) but...oh god...the tru about this is...i don't know...really...

Eh. The dude fucked up. Everyone does at some point. If anything, this stuff has probably brought more publicity to the band.

No :) , in my opinion , Billie Joe health (and of course for Tré and Mike) is more important then all the shows and the albums !

I do feel like something is very different with the release of the trilogy compared to albums like American Idiot and 21CB. It could be Warner's lack of promotion, the band's lack of performances, or just that these albums aren't hitting the public with the force that the other albums did due to lack of interest of the general public. I have no idea if things would have been largely different if Billie's situation hadn't occurred, but I can see where you're coming from in terms of this lackluster feeling I get with the releases. It's hard to say if it's Billie's personal situation that is affecting the trilogy because I don't know how things would be without him going into rehab. Maybe Warner still would have sucked with promotion and the radio would fail to play many songs. Who knows? It certainly does suck to see your favorite band go through such a rough time and we can only hope that they will come out on top in the end. I personally love the sound and feel of the albums but there is definitely something... missing?.. out of place?.. strange?.. in terms of these albums and their release.

On an unrelated note: I was Lunar Bowling (aka Cosmic Bowling) and Oh Love played at the bowling alley. Made my night.

Archived