Did Billie Joe ruin Green Day's comeback?

Bam-Itz-GreenDay

"Ruin" is like saying it's all his fault and it's not :tired: And it's also kind of harsh to say it that way also :ermm:

I don't think he wanted to be somewhere else than playing music after (or while) the records come out. Maybe he did it unconsciously, thinking he will be 'ok' or something like that; but everything we do, right or wrong has consequences and in this case, this happened. It doesn't mean the end or anything, Billie needs to learn from this, like from everything.

But that's just my guessing. And I know we all care, but we have no right to judge at all, 'cause we don't know...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't think Uno or Dos had any chance of reaching the number one spot in their debut week. As far as sales, I think Uno actually did just about what it was expected to. Nothing jaw-dropping but a decent number. Dos clearly failed by recent Green Day standards and a great deal of that blame has to go to Billie Joe. Also, to the people blaming Warner: they have to decide if they think promoting a Green Day record extensively is a worthy task. If you feel that the returns won't be great anyhow, why go out of your way to make sure everyone knows about the record. Of course people on a Green Day fansite are going to get upset by the lack of promotion because they're going to feel the albums are worthy, but that might not be the general consensus.

In any case, we'll have to wait and see if Green Day is going to reform and push on or just call it a career. Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if Billie Joe just decided it was time to move onto something else. It seems to me that the band put themselves under a lot of stress and came into contact with too much temptation and maybe they just need to settle down. I don't know, the guy can still put on a great show, but I'd rather he not do so at the expense of his own health. We shall see.

...this thread is a tirade of why the word "ruined" should not have been used :P

stupid billie joe always ruins everything, they should kick him off the band.

yeah, billie should grow up and take the responsibility. how about mike, tre and jason?

He didn't ruin it. If you ask me, when they decided to do a trilogy, they probably weren't concerned about how huge and popular they'd be. I think it's for the fans.

And Billie Joe isn't the one to blame. That's just immature thing to say. You can't blame anyone when this kind of stuff happens.

Yes and no, it is his fault he made the bad choices but then again it isn't because he obviously has a problem/addiction

Just a thought but I think Green Day will release a "best of the trilogy" kinda thing or different types of bundles with the records and documentary, they'll be something for everyone and much easier to promote

If iTRE! doesn't catch on, and they don't somehow put themselves back in the spotlight, then yes, Green Day did ruin a potentiel comeback, but that's not saying they would've made a comeback either way. We couldn't possibly ever know. And of course it's Billie Joe's fault. If the rehab thing is as it's potrayed in media, then he is the one who created whatever addiction he had, and then made the decision to get treated for it. These are facts, the question is what is worth a commercial comeback, and I think alot of us agree that it's not worth Billie's health or Green Day's music in the long term. I do think that people get a little too sympathetic with him, though. Nobody knows enough to say how bad it is, but by the looks of it, he looked physically fit, and far from depressed, so he is probably just taking some time off, laying around on the couch, writing songs, surfing on the beach or whatever he does to relax. And I really don't think that is worth all of us pretending he's at some facility taking disulfiram, being physically sick.

I do want them well and back in action as soon as possible though, for my own and their sake.

The only thing thing we should blame is the timing of this of all of this... IF that's possible, but really, we can't say it's his fault for ruining Green Day's momentum, not comeback, because they didn't go on hiatus or anything, they were just hiding from the public. (in a way.) He did affect the future plans that the band, management, and label made but you can't really say " Oh it's all your fault." Sure maybe Mike, Tre, Jasons, and Jeff might have saw it coming, but they wouldn't have expected it to happen on stage, live on TV, yknow ? I don't know, I feel like I'm rambling on about this over and over again, in various threads....

Plus, you never know. Sometimes promotion can happen after everything is released and the band is back in the spotlight, some bands have done that in the past.

Itunes have recently went up on the price to advertise on front page to outrageous prices (major labels are now being charge up to 20k a day to advertise) some labels are refusing to spend that...

That is insane, but at the same time, you can make back $20,000 in advertising costs by simply selling a mere 2,000 albums for $10 apiece... which arguably would be MORE than accomplished with a front-page iTunes ad. I mean, if Uno sold 139,000 with no iTunes ad, it totally could have sold thousands more with just a 5-day ad, and the major label would break even on that. So that leads me back to thinking there's really no excuse to not advertise a band that will definitely pull off enough sales to be well worth the cost of advertising.

ruin the bands status? no.

did this unfortunate event ruin the promotion for the rest of the trilogy? yes.

I really resent the term "comeback" at this point in the band's career. American Idiot was their comeback, 21CB showed it wasn't a fluke, and now we're in the growing old gracefully years.... well, hopefully soon we will be.

First off, anyone saying Billie's problems right now aren't his fault is fucking high. Of course they're his fault. We all fuck up, and he's dealing with mistakes he's made. Good for him.

Second, what comeback? They've been on something of a steady course / slight decline ever since 21CB, and if anything, this rehab business has given more publicity to the trilogy than the, once again, awful marketing campaign.

TL;DR - Billie's health problems are his fault, of course, but they haven't ruined anything.

That is insane, but at the same time, you can make back $20,000 in advertising costs by simply selling a mere 2,000 albums for $10 apiece... which arguably would be MORE than accomplished with a front-page iTunes ad. I mean, if Uno sold 139,000 with no iTunes ad, it totally could have sold thousands more with just a 5-day ad, and the major label would break even on that. So that leads me back to thinking there's really no excuse to not advertise a band that will definitely pull off enough sales to be well worth the cost of advertising.

Uno didnt sell 139k off of itunes alone

Lets say Warner had an ad for a week thats 140k so way more than 2k needed to be sold...

Again think of it as would YOU spend your own money to promote something that right now is considered to be high risk? Anytime a band has an album where an artist isnt around to promote is labeled high risk...

Give Warner millions of dollars (with no wanting the money back) to promote they'll happily do so

He ruined publicity for DOS and TRE. BUT without him there would be no music at all so it's ridiculous to say he put their career on a halt. Their career is nothing without him

Guest Honey Emerald

Jesus Christ. The IheartRadio was not the thing. It was just the last thing. Billie has been doing much worse on stage for many many many years. Anyone that has been watching Green Day perform for a long time has seen him come on stage buck naked, jump in to (join or stop) crowd fights, break guitars, and much more. I am so tired (even with that being listed by the band as the reason) of people saying this is what happened. It's all personal and none of you have an idea.

I didn't see anyone calling for Tre's head when he destroyed his drumset.

That is damned smart.

No one has any idea of what is really going on right now behind the scenes except the people involved behind them.

Uno didnt sell 139k off of itunes alone

Lets say Warner had an ad for a week thats 140k so way more than 2k needed to be sold...

Again think of it as would YOU spend your own money to promote something that right now is considered to be high risk? Anytime a band has an album where an artist isnt around to promote is labeled high risk...

Give Warner millions of dollars (with no wanting the money back) to promote they'll happily do so

True enough, but I wonder how many of say Mumford & Sons 600K or whatever first week sales came from iTunes? Probably a lot. Uno sold relatively well on Amazon it seemed, and wherever else, but it didn't do as well on iTunes. I agree that it might not be smart to put out the ads now for Tre, but just in general perhaps it would have made complete sense for Uno back in September. Neither here nor there.

I'm not really blaming Warner at this point (nor Billie), it's just a bizarre situation in general. My only hope is that there is a shelf-life and future for these albums (aka one or two successful singles still to be had on radio). I would hate for them to simply disappear into Green Day's catalog without any fanfare and never re-emerge.

No its not just Billie. He didn't ruin it. Well, Warner has no Billie right now but they have Mike and Tre. They should have used them for promotions and stuff but they didn't do that. The albums are not selling cos we know how awesome the promotion was.

Guest Honey Emerald

Why can I not find a GET WELL SOON thread for Billie Joe with presents for him from across the internet yet?

EDIT: I just PMed a mod about it to find out if they are going to make one.

Let us all take a moment to mourn all the money Warner might have made if not for Billie's meltdown.

Let us all take a moment to mourn all the money Warner might have made if not for Billie's meltdown.

Lol

Here is the answer: no

Eloquently put.

Billie Joe didn't ruin anything, I think there were a few times in their history where their credibility as a band has been questioned, and perhaps this is one of those times. But as of now it's more of a delay; the momentum has slowed, but when he comes back it'll pick up again. It might not be as fast as it was going, but it'll pick up.

I was telling my stepmother about his "incident" and she asked me, "How can you like him knowing what a disgusting person he is?" And I couldn't think of a reply then, but I like him because he and his band make amazing music and I find him intriguing as a person in general. And this rehab business leaves me even more intrigued, I just want to know how he thinks, auuugh so frustrating.

Can't wait for them to get started up again.

I was telling my stepmother about his "incident" and she asked me, "How can you like him knowing what a disgusting person he is?" And I couldn't think of a reply then, but I like him because he and his band make amazing music and I find him intriguing as a person in general. And this rehab business leaves me even more intrigued, I just want to know how he thinks, auuugh so frustrating.

Every rock star in the history of forever has substance problems. I still have no idea why people fail to grasp this.

What has happened to Billie has definitely halted the impetus the band were building up. It's stopped all planned official promotion and left the band having to shut themselves away while their material comes out with no one telling the public to go buy it. They've fallen out the the public eye, for the most part, right when they needed to be in it the most. Is it his fault? No. But anyone who thinks that Billie heading to rehab hasn't hurt the band's sales, commercial power and image are absolutely, categorically wrong.

And guys, Bam didn't imply that the band's performance was more important than Billie's health, so lay off her.

I think all of the shit just hit the fan at the wrong time. I mean, in some ways, yeah, Billie's treatment did kind of halt the trilogy era, but I wouldn't use the word "ruined". That's a bit too harsh.

It's hard to tell if the trilogy was going be their "comeback" (I never saw it as a "comeback" but I digress) because we don't know how the marketing/promotions would've been had the band been around. The marketing could've just as easily been as fucked up as it is if the band was doing interviews & promotions. It all falls down on public demand, which right now, there really isn't one for Green Day.

Just quoting these two posts because I agree with them, especially about the unknown nature of sans-treatment marketing. I know a lot of people were concerned that a lot of momentum would be lost after Uno, even with the band in full force.

Also a good point, but personally, I'm more sad about the lack of visibility the poor sales have caused/will cause. I'm not saying I'd want them over-saturated like in the AI days, but, even though album sales suck now, being on the charts is still a good thing, and it's a shame that people will forget about the albums.

(Again, as I do in most every post in Green Day Chat :lol:, here's noting that I'm not placing blame on Billie or anything.)

If Billie wouldn't have seeked treatment immediately, who knows what could have happened. He could have done something way worse and remember-able (not in a good way) than IHeart Radio. And it would have gave Green Day an even worse reputation for the people that don't really know them. That's all people would focus on, "that trashy Billie Joe" instead of her music. It's like letting Whitney Houston slip, what do you think of first? Crack or her success? It's the sad truth with people. That my friend, would have ruined their comeback.

Archived