Did Billie Joe ruin Green Day's comeback?

Bam-Itz-GreenDay

I think 2014 is gonna be their time to hit the public the hardest I mean 94 dookie, 04 American idiot, they've got this.

Wow, I would love for that to happen!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna have to say that it was for sure a major factor in why they haven't made a huge comeback. How is it possible without a lead signer in proper condition? That being said, a comeback is worthless compared to stable health.

What has happened to Billie has definitely halted the impetus the band were building up. It's stopped all planned official promotion and left the band having to shut themselves away while their material comes out with no one telling the public to go buy it. They've fallen out the the public eye, for the most part, right when they needed to be in it the most. Is it his fault? No. But anyone who thinks that Billie heading to rehab hasn't hurt the band's sales, commercial power and image are absolutely, categorically wrong.

And guys, Bam didn't imply that the band's performance was more important than Billie's health, so lay off her.

For there to be comeback, Green Day would have had to have gone away first, so no, he did not.

Now, he did affect the promotion of the album trilogy, yes, but that's not some sort of comeback in anyway, Green Day has been a pretty hot band since American Idiot, that was their comeback era if anything.

I thought the marketing for the trilogy was/is far better than 21st Century Breakdown.

That's not saying much. I only heard about 21st Century Breakdown a month before it was released, and that was only because I randomly visited GDA one day. Compare the trilogy's advertising compared to something like One Direction's new album. They had the shit publicised out of them, and they got the sales to back it up.

That's the stupidest shit I've read...

What I mean is that it's not nice to talk lile he ruined their sucess, it's not nice to say that a person who's going through a tough time has ruined something. Grow up.

Grow up.

So if it's not Billie's fault he is in rehab whose fault is it?

Sounds like YOU need to grow up

So if it's not Billie's fault he is in rehab whose fault is it?

Sounds like YOU need to grow up

I didn't say it's someone elses fault, I said people shouldn't talk like he ruined the bands sucess because of that.

Would you ever walk up to him and say "you know, your album sakes aren't that high and it's your fault cause you went to rehab"? If no, then there's no point with saying it on the internet. That wouldn't really make any person feel good about themselves.

I think all of the shit just hit the fan at the wrong time. I mean, in some ways, yeah, Billie's treatment did kind of halt the trilogy era, but I wouldn't use the word "ruined". That's a bit too harsh.

It's hard to tell if the trilogy was going be their "comeback" (I never saw it as a "comeback" but I digress) because we don't know how the marketing/promotions would've been had the band been around. The marketing could've just as easily been as fucked up as it is if the band was doing interviews & promotions. It all falls down on public demand, which right now, there really isn't one for Green Day.

Wait why are we even discussing this... Of course it ''ruined'' the momentum of the album releases etc. Frankly this is just another thread for people to bitch in. Yes it is Billies 'fault' but its an addiction try telling that to someone with an addiction doesnt work like that. But in the end shit happens..... what happened happened. Deal with it. Dp we have to keep dicussing it and disecting the shit out of it. Frankly no. :dry: This is just getting ridiculous.

That's not saying much. I only heard about 21st Century Breakdown a month before it was released, and that was only because I randomly visited GDA one day. Compare the trilogy's advertising compared to something like One Direction's new album. They had the shit publicised out of them, and they got the sales to back it up.

That's because there's an immediate demand for One Direction, they're what's "in" right now, and that's where all of the money's coming from for the record company. They know the public will buy it up like hot cakes, with Green Day it's a very hit or miss situation.

No...it isn't his fault.

Billie Joe and the other members were under A LOT of stress from creating not one, not two, but THREE albums in such a short span. Everybody saw it coming, but the important thing is that he gets better, as we've all said time and time again.

I'm glad that it happened when it did and not when they were on tour, because who knows what kind of turnout that would have happened. They noticed it, he decided to get help, and hopefully they stopped before it got any further.

A thread that will lead to arguments and bitching and more pointless stupid specualation. :dry:

That's because there's an immediate demand for One Direction, they're what's "in" right now, and that's where all of the money's coming from for the record company. They know the public will buy it up like hot cakes, with Green Day it's a very hit or miss situation.

Personally, I think with better marketing, Uno and Dos could have seriously challenged for the No 1 spot.

Weren't American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown both No 1 albums anyway?

Might I point something out:

Admitting oneself to rehab is an admission that one has a problem. Being as people don't typically go to rehab because they had too much to drink once in their lives, it's safe to say that Billie Joe has/had a fairly significant substance abuse problem. On some level, addictions are inherently uncontrollable, but one has to make the decision to pick up the bottle, joint, rolled-up dollar bill, whatever the tool of choice may be. So to an extent, yeah, Billie Joe is largely responsible for the condition that sent him to rehab, and I'm sure having a lead singer in rehab rather than having a lead singer on tour with you isn't exactly helping trilogy sales.

Just remember, there's nothing that a good PR machine can't fix, and nothing that a marketing blitz can't sell. The trilogy underperforming is as much Warner's fault as it is anyone else's, as they don't have that marketing blitz going. Mike and GDC can only do so much to plug an album that the label doesn't seem too concerned about sales of.

I didn't say it's someone elses fault, I said people shouldn't talk like he ruined the bands sucess because of that.

I agree with what you added to your post (I didnt see what you added til after I read the post I'm responding to now)

I wouldn't call it ruined his stint has hurt promo/sales for right now but his health is extremely more important than anything else right now

Personally, I think with better marketing, Uno and Dos could have seriously challenged for the No 1 spot.

Weren't American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown both No 1 albums anyway?

They were but different times...

Teenyboppers buy the most music compared to adults

This conversation would have been 10 times more productive had the first post been worded differently. How about instead of "Did Billie ruin this?" we say, "How much has the band's perfectly necessary but untimely hiatus affected the success of the trilogy?" No one in their right mind would get offended by THAT question, but people are immediately going to get defensive about the blame game.

"Ruined" is a strong word, I think. The band could've had kick-ass marketing from the Warner Bros. side while the guys dealt with Billie's situation. Obviously the band being able to promote their music with tv appearances and concerts is hugely important when trying to sell records, but it isn't the only means of promotion.

They were not supported well by their label. Yes, they had a few tee-shirts, Angry Birds, Twilight - but you know what they really needed? Promotion where EVERYONE will see it. iTunes, magazine ads, commercials, etc. And I didn't see that. ESPECIALLY with the iTunes thing - I cannot believe that their album releases haven't been advertised on the front page of the store. It blows my mind, honestly. For bands that I casually listen to, that is the only way I find out that they have a new record or will have a new record coming soon that I can pre-order. I cannot even fathom why GD's marketing team didn't bother with iTunes. It has been a mess - we never seem quite sure when new singles are coming out, it is sometimes DIFFICULT to find their music when searching for it - its bad. Really bad. And that has nothing to do with the band itself, it's their marketing people.

I don't think they were necessarily making a "comeback," as I still view them as a hugely successful band. That said, regardless of popularity, albums need to be promoted. And with a trilogy, they need to be promoted in a really big, loud way.

Green Day still has plenty of time to promote the albums themselves, though. Sometimes I am astonished at how long an artist will promote an album for - sometimes two years after the fact, they are still singing singles off that album on award shows. I think that the Warner Bros. side of promoting has sucked. And it definitely didn't help that the band hasn't been around to make up for the crappy advertising by playing shows. I do not think Billie Joe "ruined" anything, though. The band not being able to play right now doesn't help anything, but it doesn't ruin the promotion for the trilogy, either. They still have time.

They were but different times...

Teenyboppers buy the most music compared to adults

True, but a lot of American Idiot's sales were the teeny-bopper crowd.

Anyway, pointless off-topic argument.

Yes, but you must remember - One Direction are bollocks.

As a fan, sales should mean nothing. As a band member, sales should mean equally nothing. The only thing I ever care about when one of my favourite bands comes out with new music is whether I like it or not. Sales? Who cares? They're for the record company. Critical reception? Just the same thing as our own opinions, but voiced in magazines and on websites. Sum 41 sold almost no copies of their latest album, and yet almost every fan absolutely loved it, and their core fanbase is stronger than ever. That is the only thing we should be concerned about - well, that and the band's personal well-being of course.

"Ruined" is a strong word, I think. The band could've had kick-ass marketing from the Warner Bros. side while the guys dealt with Billie's situation. Obviously the band being able to promote their music with tv appearances and concerts is hugely important when trying to sell records, but it isn't the only means of promotion.

They were not supported well by their label. Yes, they had a few tee-shirts, Angry Birds, Twilight - but you know what they really needed? Promotion where EVERYONE will see it. iTunes, magazine ads, commercials, etc. And I didn't see that. ESPECIALLY with the iTunes thing - I cannot believe that their album releases haven't been advertised on the front page of the store. It blows my mind, honestly. For bands that I casually listen to, that is the only way I find out that they have a new record or will have a new record coming soon that I can pre-order. I cannot even fathom why GD's marketing team didn't bother with iTunes. It has been a mess - we never seem quite sure when new singles are coming out, it is sometimes DIFFICULT to find their music when searching for it - its bad. Really bad. And that has nothing to do with the band itself, it's their marketing people.

I don't think they were necessarily making a "comeback," as I still view them as a hugely successful band. That said, regardless of popularity, albums need to be promoted. And with a trilogy, they need to be promoted in a really big, loud way.

Green Day still has plenty of time to promote the albums themselves, though. Sometimes I am astonished at how long an artist will promote an album for - sometimes two years after the fact, they are still singing singles off that album on award shows. I think that the Warner Bros. side of promoting has sucked. And it definitely didn't help that the band hasn't been around to make up for the crappy advertising by playing shows. I do not think Billie Joe "ruined" anything, though. The band not being able to play right now doesn't help anything, but it doesn't ruin the promotion for the trilogy, either. They still have time.

Itunes have recently went up on the price to advertise on front page to outrageous prices (major labels are now being charge up to 20k a day to advertise) some labels are refusing to spend that...

As far as promotion like I said in another post they may not want to risk the MILLIONS of dollars without the band. Band being active plays a HUGE part of label's promotions. I'm sure when the band picks back up the promotions will start back full force... let me ask you would YOU yourself put up MILLIONS of dollars promoting something on a band that not doing shows or interviews where you may not get your money back?

stupid billie joe always ruins everything, they should kick him off the band.

Archived