Did Billie Joe ruin Green Day's comeback?

Bam-Itz-GreenDay

My dad and I were just talking about this topic. Do you think Billie Joe ruined Green Day's comeback? My dad made some pretty valid points. They had momentum. They were on a roll. And then their rock and roll train of life took an emergency brake. Some shows were cancelled, some postponed. How do you feel about this?

(By comeback, I mean new album things. Like how ¡DOS! Had to be fan-promoted because the band couldn't and/or wouldnt do it.)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. When these kind of things happen, it doesn't matter when or where it comes. Their personal health is way more important than their "comeback".

And Billie Joe isn't the one to blame. That's just immature thing to say. You can't blame anyone when this kind of stuff happens.

I think `ruin` is a bit of a strong word to use. It's definitely affected it, but what could they have done?

It's sure not Billie Joe's falt. They're best friends and their health is the most important thing to each other, and it's also important to the fans. If the price is canceling show, I don't mind to pay it, just want that they'll be OK.

It might affected, but he definetely didn't "ruin" comeback. And yes his health is more important of course!!

idk, since billie IS green day(so does mike and tre..), saying billie ruin himself is a bit awkward to me

Maybe a little 'cause they were just starting the new tour and the albums were coming out soon that's why ¡Dos! didn't sell as many copies as ¡Uno! did! But maybe when they return there albums will sell more!

it wasnt a 'comeback' to begin with. that term is more fitting for a band that has been inactive or on hiatus for a long period of time, not just a couple of years between records....did affect the momentum of promotion for the new material? yes. absolutely. was it a bad thing? only because billie's health is in question, the way it has worked out is much more palatable than the other possible outcomes. but to use a term as harsh as 'ruin' is going overboard.

At first, when I saw this topic, I raged. Although "ruined" makes it sound very harsh, Billie's stress built up and took all of Green Day down the wrong path. It'll take a while for them to turn around (if they do, and I'm hoping they do), but you've gotta be realistic about the situation. Bands break up, and even though Green Day has said that they'll never break up, it happens. We don't know what's going on on Billie's side of this right now... he's gotta be pretty stressed. Adrienne should come on tour with GD more often, sounds as if Billie's sexual frustration has taken it's toll, and I'm sure Billie doesn't "relieve himself" with Tre anymore XD. Uno, Dos, and Tre seem to be the declining side of Green Day, but every band has it's ups and downs. They can't keep going up, y'know. Who know's what's in store. Billie didn't ruin Green Day, but he certainly caused the trilogy to lose many potential sales, and I really hope Billie doesn't come on here and read this thread......oh shit. Fuck!! Delete this thread, quickly!!!!!

Yeah I think it actually did.

But who cares.Nothing is more important than a persons life.

Exactly my thoughts.

I think 2014 is gonna be their time to hit the public the hardest I mean 94 dookie, 04 American idiot, they've got this.

Don't tell a person who's in rehab/going through something hard that something is their fault, it definitely isn't his fault.

I don't want to sound harsh, but everyone saying 'it's not his fault!!!' ... well, just supposing he was on something illegal, then that definitely was his doing, at least in the beginning. But that is irrelevant right now anyway.

But no, I don't think he ruined anything. It is what it is. It came at the worst possible time, but there's nothing anyone can do about that now.

I was unaware that Green Day had ever sufficiently left the building to consider this a "comeback".

Also, Billie Joe's rehab has far less to do with Green Day's struggling in the charts than Warner's awesome "promotion" does.

Billie Joe is not personally responsible for the marketing of these albums. He's responsible for his own behavior and the things he chose to do that have led to their lack of appearances. But that alone isn't what has caused the momentum to feel lackluster.

You could blame a lot of people for what led to his situation, or at least, maybe not stepping in earlier - but ultimately it was his decision. But again, them appearing in public and playing some shows isn't the only reason the momentum to promote these albums have fallen short.

That said - it's not like it's all ruined. Able to make the top 10 with two albums released only several weeks apart without major promotion from the band isn't insignificant.

billie's health is more important.... he definitely affect it... they will always be green day in my eyes. no matter the outcome... hopefully billie gets the help he needs, so he can rock out on more concerts :)

Don't tell a person who's in rehab/going through something hard that something is their fault, it definitely isn't his fault.

That's the stupidest shit I've read...

But this wasn't a comeback tho I'd say American Idiot was their comeback era ...

This event is just a badly timed event...

Hell, it gave the band maybe even more publicity.

The marketing has just been atrocious.

I thought the marketing for the trilogy was/is far better than 21st Century Breakdown.

I never said I agreed with my dad, so don't go hating me. I just asked a question. And ruin wasnt exactly the right way to state it. Sorry

And a lot of you guys are saying that Billie's life is more important blah blah. Of COURSE I think his life is important. He's been my hero for 8 years, do you honestly think I don't care about his well being? I care about him more than I care about myself :dry:

Archived