Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Did Billie Joe ruin Green Day's comeback?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Bam-Itz-GreenDay

Bam-Itz-GreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Joined Jul 26, 2011
  • 772 rep
My dad and I were just talking about this topic. Do you think Billie Joe ruined Green Day's comeback? My dad made some pretty valid points. They had momentum. They were on a roll. And then their rock and roll train of life took an emergency brake. Some shows were cancelled, some postponed. How do you feel about this?

(By comeback, I mean new album things. Like how ĄDOS! Had to be fan-promoted because the band couldn't and/or wouldnt do it.)
  • Maria Fernanda Armstrong likes this

sampy

sampy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2007
  • 502 rep

POPULAR

No. When these kind of things happen, it doesn't matter when or where it comes. Their personal health is way more important than their "comeback".
  • Joshh, Jenn123, Sanah and 14 others like this

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep
Hell, it gave the band maybe even more publicity.

The marketing has just been atrocious.

sampy

sampy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2007
  • 502 rep

POPULAR

And Billie Joe isn't the one to blame. That's just immature thing to say. You can't blame anyone when this kind of stuff happens.
  • Sanah, gerardsangel4977, EmmaCharlatan&Saints and 26 others like this

Smoothed Out

Smoothed Out
  • idjit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts
  • Joined Sep 30, 2009
  • 292 rep
I think `ruin` is a bit of a strong word to use. It's definitely affected it, but what could they have done?
  • gerardsangel4977, Mar, Batgirl and 1 other like this

Supa Hot Fire

Supa Hot Fire
  • Supa Hot

• 3,353 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,502 rep
Yeah I think it actually did.
But who cares.Nothing is more important than a persons life.
  • Jace Peterson likes this

ColourMeWaiting

ColourMeWaiting
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Joined May 09, 2009
  • 509 rep
Fuck no.

Rusty Blue

Rusty Blue
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2012
  • 82 rep
It's sure not Billie Joe's falt. They're best friends and their health is the most important thing to each other, and it's also important to the fans. If the price is canceling show, I don't mind to pay it, just want that they'll be OK.
  • Mary Daze and AmericanIdiot27 like this

TheGreenDayKidd

TheGreenDayKidd
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Joined Jun 28, 2012
  • 490 rep
It might affected, but he definetely didn't "ruin" comeback. And yes his health is more important of course!!

yuan

yuan
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Joined Sep 19, 2011
  • 267 rep
idk, since billie IS green day(so does mike and tre..), saying billie ruin himself is a bit awkward to me
  • Neon Light and X-Kid-X like this

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep
Maybe a little 'cause they were just starting the new tour and the albums were coming out soon that's why ¡Dos! didn't sell as many copies as ¡Uno! did! But maybe when they return there albums will sell more!
  • X-Kid-X likes this

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,859 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,973 rep
I was going to reply with yes at first, but thinking about it... No, he hasn't quite ruined it. Publicity wise, this awful chapter in his life and it's terrible coincidence has drawn quite a bit of attention hasn't it? Articles, rumours, etc. It hasn't made up for the lack of promotion but it's something. People are aware of the albums and the situation.

dallasthemenace

dallasthemenace
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2008
  • 10 rep
it wasnt a 'comeback' to begin with. that term is more fitting for a band that has been inactive or on hiatus for a long period of time, not just a couple of years between records....did affect the momentum of promotion for the new material? yes. absolutely. was it a bad thing? only because billie's health is in question, the way it has worked out is much more palatable than the other possible outcomes. but to use a term as harsh as 'ruin' is going overboard.
  • gerardsangel4977, in_a_green_daze and Mar like this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,846 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,763 rep
At first, when I saw this topic, I raged. Although "ruined" makes it sound very harsh, Billie's stress built up and took all of Green Day down the wrong path. It'll take a while for them to turn around (if they do, and I'm hoping they do), but you've gotta be realistic about the situation. Bands break up, and even though Green Day has said that they'll never break up, it happens. We don't know what's going on on Billie's side of this right now... he's gotta be pretty stressed. Adrienne should come on tour with GD more often, sounds as if Billie's sexual frustration has taken it's toll, and I'm sure Billie doesn't "relieve himself" with Tre anymore XD. Uno, Dos, and Tre seem to be the declining side of Green Day, but every band has it's ups and downs. They can't keep going up, y'know. Who know's what's in store. Billie didn't ruin Green Day, but he certainly caused the trilogy to lose many potential sales, and I really hope Billie doesn't come on here and read this thread......oh shit. Fuck!! Delete this thread, quickly!!!!!

Makeout One

Makeout One
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Joined Feb 11, 2012
  • 629 rep
  • Location:Somewere on the lower east side of my mind. (Italy)

Yeah I think it actually did.
But who cares.Nothing is more important than a persons life.

Exactly my thoughts.

Advertising

Jon Benjamin

Jon Benjamin
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined Dec 21, 2006
  • 571 rep
I think 2014 is gonna be their time to hit the public the hardest I mean 94 dookie, 04 American idiot, they've got this.
  • Anja, Drop Dead Hideous, Nuclear Family and 1 other like this

joeysturkeyhead

joeysturkeyhead
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined Feb 01, 2012
  • 514 rep
Don't tell a person who's in rehab/going through something hard that something is their fault, it definitely isn't his fault.

Sperm

Sperm
  • Gone but not forgotten - FoREVer Jinx<3

• 4,456 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2010
  • 4,062 rep

POPULAR

Fucking up is a part of being a rockstar. :thumbsup:
  • Insomniac1984, Tabeeb, AmericanIdiot27 and 2 others like this

farley drexel hatcher

farley drexel hatcher
  • Best Thing In Town

• 8,104 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2005
  • 1,643 rep
I don't want to sound harsh, but everyone saying 'it's not his fault!!!' ... well, just supposing he was on something illegal, then that definitely was his doing, at least in the beginning. But that is irrelevant right now anyway.

But no, I don't think he ruined anything. It is what it is. It came at the worst possible time, but there's nothing anyone can do about that now.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep
I was unaware that Green Day had ever sufficiently left the building to consider this a "comeback".

Also, Billie Joe's rehab has far less to do with Green Day's struggling in the charts than Warner's awesome "promotion" does.
  • sampy and gerardsangel4977 like this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,593 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,878 rep

POPULAR

Billie Joe is not personally responsible for the marketing of these albums. He's responsible for his own behavior and the things he chose to do that have led to their lack of appearances. But that alone isn't what has caused the momentum to feel lackluster.

You could blame a lot of people for what led to his situation, or at least, maybe not stepping in earlier - but ultimately it was his decision. But again, them appearing in public and playing some shows isn't the only reason the momentum to promote these albums have fallen short.

That said - it's not like it's all ruined. Able to make the top 10 with two albums released only several weeks apart without major promotion from the band isn't insignificant.
  • BeachBum, westendriot, in_a_green_daze and 9 others like this

missminority182

missminority182
  • You Can't Kill the Me in You

• 8,381 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,763 rep
billie's health is more important.... he definitely affect it... they will always be green day in my eyes. no matter the outcome... hopefully billie gets the help he needs, so he can rock out on more concerts :)

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,218 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,385 rep

Don't tell a person who's in rehab/going through something hard that something is their fault, it definitely isn't his fault.

That's the stupidest shit I've read...

But this wasn't a comeback tho I'd say American Idiot was their comeback era ...

This event is just a badly timed event...

FoxyTwitch

FoxyTwitch
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined Oct 03, 2012
  • 75 rep
Billie Joe's life is more important than any blame laying.

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,561 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,309 rep

Hell, it gave the band maybe even more publicity.

The marketing has just been atrocious.

I thought the marketing for the trilogy was/is far better than 21st Century Breakdown.

Bam-Itz-GreenDay

Bam-Itz-GreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Joined Jul 26, 2011
  • 772 rep
I never said I agreed with my dad, so don't go hating me. I just asked a question. And ruin wasnt exactly the right way to state it. Sorry

And a lot of you guys are saying that Billie's life is more important blah blah. Of COURSE I think his life is important. He's been my hero for 8 years, do you honestly think I don't care about his well being? I care about him more than I care about myself :dry:

!

!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined Aug 03, 2012
  • 379 rep

I think 2014 is gonna be their time to hit the public the hardest I mean 94 dookie, 04 American idiot, they've got this.

Wow, I would love for that to happen!

The Forgotten

The Forgotten
  • Betty White's boytoy

• 3,300 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 1,578 rep
I'm gonna have to say that it was for sure a major factor in why they haven't made a huge comeback. How is it possible without a lead signer in proper condition? That being said, a comeback is worthless compared to stable health.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,837 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,579 rep
What has happened to Billie has definitely halted the impetus the band were building up. It's stopped all planned official promotion and left the band having to shut themselves away while their material comes out with no one telling the public to go buy it. They've fallen out the the public eye, for the most part, right when they needed to be in it the most. Is it his fault? No. But anyone who thinks that Billie heading to rehab hasn't hurt the band's sales, commercial power and image are absolutely, categorically wrong.

And guys, Bam didn't imply that the band's performance was more important than Billie's health, so lay off her.
  • Mar, Vespertine and Nuclear Family like this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,000 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,578 rep
For there to be comeback, Green Day would have had to have gone away first, so no, he did not.

Now, he did affect the promotion of the album trilogy, yes, but that's not some sort of comeback in anyway, Green Day has been a pretty hot band since American Idiot, that was their comeback era if anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users