Can you believe this article?

Guest Honey Emerald

Guest Honey Emerald

http://www.prefixmag...-and-cog/71498/

I have "Cognitive Dissonance" too... What people say I am vs. what I believe I am are constantly in conflict.

The writer is saying "We don't really want different. We want to be told what to want in ways that make it seem like our decision."

Speak for yourself. I just want to be MY SELF.

Billie Joe was correct with what he was saying in his rant.

Saying "They're not the independent rock group that paved their own way, that has earned the right to respect, that has been around (and by around, we mean part of popular music) since 1988. " couldn't be more wrong.

When a person gets married... their name might change but they are still the same person.

/end rant

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main thing that I got from this was that this person doesn't actually understand the concept of cognitive dissonance :P

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

Is this thread going to turn into a "fuck anyone whose opinion is anything but absolute praise of Green Day and their fans" circle jerk? Probably.

you mean someone went and wrote yet ANOTHER article based around billies' iheartradio outburst???

WHOOP-DE-DOO.gif

Is this thread going to turn into a "fuck anyone whose opinion is anything but absolute praise of Green Day and their fans" circle jerk? Probably.

But the thing is, John, that cognitive dissonance has nothing to do with public perception vs self-perception, as the article seems to assert.

Cognitive dissonance is what happens when a person's *own* thoughts, ideals, and/or actions come into conflict with each other. The logical part of our brains picks up on this contradiction in terms and immediately attempts to resolve the cognitive dissonance through rationalization ("well, this is *different* because..." or "This is how I actually feel about this"). This is an instinctive and often subconscious process that everyone experiences throughout the course of his or her life.

The article, however, spends the whole time talking about perception vs reality and public perception vs self-concept and, even, the human tendency toward conformity rather than non-conformity....but pretty much never actually touches on the subject of cognitive dissonance, despite mentioning it a bunch of times. So, yeah, the entire premise os the article is essentially invalidated due to general dumbassery without even having to get into any individual comments made about the band's career.

Why the hell does people make threads for every article saying something negative about Green Day. Stop begging for arguments, who cares? I don't give a damn rats ass.

90% of this forum.

Who cares? There are people out there that don't like Green Day. Those people will voice their opinion, no matter how stupid it is. Just forget about what they think and move on.

Who cares? There are people out there that don't like Green Day. Those people will voice their opinion, no matter how stupid it is. Just forget about what they think and move on.

I don't know, based on the content, I don't think this guy actually hates Green Day. In fact, he seems to, at the very least, appreciate much of their music. It's not a case of Haters Be Hatin' so much as an idiot sticking his foot in his mouth.

Guest Honey Emerald

Cognitive dissonance is what happens when a person's *own* thoughts, ideals, and/or actions come into conflict with each other. The logical part of our brains picks up on this contradiction in terms and immediately attempts to resolve the cognitive dissonance through rationalization ("well, this is *different* because..." or "This is how I actually feel about this"). This is an instinctive and often subconscious process that everyone experiences throughout the course of his or her life.

It is extremely nice to find that someone has a really good explanation.

First off, he spelled "acceptable" wrong and forgot the "way" in "anyway". Doesn't really matter that much, just wanted to point it out.

I don't know for sure if this guy knows exactly what he is talking about and he doesn't get his point across very well in my opinion. So the music industry and music consumers are what dictated what Green Day has created in the years since Dookie because of the popularity or lack of it of what they release? I don't think that seems like a very plausible idea. Of course to some extent they are influenced by music consumers and other mainstream music, but they have always been, and I believe continue to be, a band that prides itself on stepping outside of their comfort zone and taking risks with putting out music that does not necessarily line up with what is considered "popular" at the time. This is how they've earned their success. They're not just some generic rock band. They are genuinely creative and intelligent when they approach new ideas for music and it shows in the quality and timelessness. Maybe some of you agree, maybe some of you don't. But that's my two cents.

It is extremely nice to find that someone has a really good explanation.

Thanks :) Cognitive dissonance is a very interesting phenomenon and is certainly relevant to Green Day, but not in the way that this article presents. That was just a mess. :P

I know a lot of people like this guy. They think they sound intelligent because they find big words in the dictionary, but then they can't spell the simple ones. The guy might have had a point, but it's such a badly written article I'm not sure what the hell he's really on about.

The main thing that I got from this was that this person doesn't actually understand the concept of cognitive dissonance :P

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

tumblr_m0r8u5cJrG1qg4blro2_500.gif

It's not about being annoyed by criticism of Green Day, this article isn't "hating" or anything (did the people acting like it is even read it?). It's just that the theory/psychoanalysis they've come up with seems quite poorly thought out and dubious. And since that theory is the basis of the whole article, it's not great.

Thanks for the insight and explanation!

But the thing is, John, that cognitive dissonance has nothing to do with public perception vs self-perception, as the article seems to assert.

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Cognitive Dissonance is that state of tension that occurs when someone's beliefs and behaviour conflict with one another, and that the tension needs to be reduced because of the cognitive consistency principle where cognition, affect and behaviour all need to be balanced.

I actually think that this was a great read. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, and I think he's looking too much into it, but there is some truth in this as well.

Where I live, Green Day is considered to be a great band, yet a lot of people link it to commercial popular music. Even though Green Day sounds like pop music at times, I don't think it was necessarily the band's intention, they just want it to sound good. But judging by interviews etc, I don't think that the band realizes that they're often labeled as commercial music.

That's probably what the author was trying to say. And I agree, kinda. But I don't really care either.

I thought it was a fair article until the part "We dictated to Green Day what would keep them popular, and they capitulated." The only time this could be said to be true would be when they tried to follow up American Idiot with another American Idiot and in doing so released 21 Guns, a song so awful and so obviously written as a Boulevard Of Broken Dreams-esque hit single that it found its place on the soundtrack for possibly the worst film ever, Transformers 2. Other than that, I suppose I just see the way their career has gone as a steady progression, with the obvious exception of American Idiot which came out of nowhere and started Green Day MK II where there aren't really any restrictions on their sound. No one was looking for "punk unplugged" when Warning came out, and even when I was 12 I knew American Idiot had the kind of old school classic rock that bands weren't making anymore. Most bands make a "safe" album at some stage. Green Day's safest was 21st Century Breakdown. I think the person who wrote this is mistaking the fact that they've always wanted to write catchy songs (as Billie-Joe has said a hundred times) as some kind of cry for popularity.

I agree that the album Insomniac is an excellent album that was overshadowed by the success of Dookie and was not valued as it should have been, when Insomniac is the most punk album of Green Day.

With regard to new fans (I'm referring to fans of Argentina), they know nothing about Green Day, only know American Idiot and a little of 21st Century Breakdown and Green Day is not just American Idiot and 21st CB. I don't like the "new fans". I repeat, I'm referring to the new fans of Argentina

Do I believe this article?

Yes, because it it one person opinion. I know it may be shocking to think that someone doesn't hold Green Day in their highest regards, but there are some people out there :P

I read the article and moved on with my life. Let this guy believe what he wants, won't change my opinion on things.

It's not about being annoyed by criticism of Green Day, this article isn't "hating" or anything (did the people acting like it is even read it?). It's just that the theory/psychoanalysis they've come up with seems quite poorly thought out and dubious. And since that theory is the basis of the whole article, it's not great.

As are many of the assumptions in relation to Billie on here are as well. Seriously

As are many of the assumptions in relation to Billie on here are as well. Seriously

Can't disagree with that

Cognitive dissonance in this article refers to fans, saying how we want Green Day to stay true to their roots and put out some grittier, more raw shit, but then we buy the poppiest songs and put those at the top of the charts. Case in point, if "The Forgotten" becomes the most successful single of the trilogy, which it very well might be.

absolutely love this article..specially this part: They did not, make no mistake, want to go back to the minor leagues. ButNimrod, the album that followed Insomniac in 1997, started as a progression of their punk sound, with great songs like first single "Hitchin' a Ride," "The Grouch," and "Nice Guys Finished Last." But we all latched on to late-album ballad and high school graduation required listening "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)."

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Cognitive Dissonance is that state of tension that occurs when someone's beliefs and behaviour conflict with one another, and that the tension needs to be reduced because of the cognitive consistency principle where cognition, affect and behaviour all need to be balanced.

lExactly! I was so confused the whole time I was reading it. "What does any of this have to do with cognitive dissonance?"

Archived