Some new information on Billie's "meltdown" at the iHeartRadio festival

Jack

Hey everyone!

Awhile ago, GDA got an interesting news bin submission. A guy emailed us saying basically that, according to a reliable source (a former Warner Bros exec), Billie Joe's meltdown at the iHeartRadio festival was not induced by alcohol or drugs of any kind.

It isn't the kind of thing that we can post about on GDA, but I wanted to post it here, so you guys could see a different side of that incident.

Make sure you keep in mind, though, that we aren't totally sure that this is 100% true. But, the points this guy makes all add up. Frankly, ever since this happened, I've been skeptical that this was the catalyst for Billie's "rehab." I really think Billie Joe is smart enough and classy enough not to get fucking trashed out of his mind, then go out onstage and make an idiot of himself. But, Billie Joe making a scene because he hates the Clear Channel company and Usher? That makes a little bit more sense, at least. Either way, it was a low point for the band. This just lends some clarity. Check it out for yourself:

"This is coming from my boss' friend Mark, a former producer for Warner Bros. Billie Joe was totally sober during the whole show. He just hates Clear Channel (the company that runs the festival). He didn't want to do the festival at all; Warner Bros forced him to. Shortly before Green Day went on, the production manager told them to cut their set by 20 minutes so Usher could perform longer. The reason? Usher had a song on the charts. Billie Joe initially refused, and went on to purposefully perform the way he did. When they started counting him down...we all know what happened from there. Billie Joe going to rehab had nothing to do with his meltdown."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really interesting, but there's pictures of him drinking.. I mean, this may be true, but he was a liitle bit drunk probably.

sorry, but.... no. He was clearly not sober, and second, Usher didn't have a longer set than anyone else (except Rihanna, the headliner).

Usher's set was a hell of a lot longer than Green Day's, without a doubt....I sat there, watching the live stream, waiting for Usher to get his ass off...

he was wasted....didn't you see the video of him doing an interview backstage. and usher played for 30 minutes exactly just like everybody else...i watched it that night too and looked at my clock when he started and ending........30 minutes.

But, yeah, I am sure there was some alcohol, because I think I did also see that picture of BJ drinking backstage. But I definitely don't think that was the only culprit.

I'm sorry but it's clear that Billie was wasted during the iheart performance. I've seen bands play drunk (I've even played drunk myself!) and whilst watching the footage you can't possibly tell me he isn't slurring his words or acting drunk.

I reckon the whole thing was a combination of being smashed AND being told to cut the set for Usher.

Usher's set was a hell of a lot longer than Green Day's, without a doubt....I sat there, watching the live stream, waiting for Usher to get his ass off...

Sigh

The show started late there for Usher started late each act had a 30 minute set even Billie himself confirmed that

Keep in mind that this isn't a personal post....this isn't necessarily my opinion. I just posted because I thought you guys would be interested to know, whether it's true or not.

Considering Usher set did not go over this is completely bullshit...

95% this. Usher's set did not go over, as confirmed numerous times by festival organizers and Green Day's management. It's entirely possible that Billie Joe just hates Clear Channel and didn't want to do the show in the first place. It's also possible that he was pissed because he was supporting an R&B act, and it's damn-near certain that he was pissed at the hip-hop R&B crowd not getting into his rock at all.

But you'll never in a million years convince me that BJ wasn't hammered. Stuff like the tirade, dragging Longview on forever and stumbling across stage can be faked. Stuff like slurring his words while singing hopelessly off-key can't.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this guy completely made it up....there is some truth to it.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this guy completely made it up....there is some truth to it.

Well, sure, there's some truth in everything. There's just not much of it here.

I really, really wish this was true, but I kinda doubt it. I'm 100% sure Billie was trashed. However, this doesn't mean that the other part isn't true. Maybe he did get trashed because he hated Clear Channel and Usher.

This is interesting. But he checked into rehab and the Trilogy was badly hit by it. So what was the reason for rehab? Not the meltown?

It's one thing to sya that Billie's meltdown and his decision to enter rehab are separate things. It's another to try to say that he was sober at that event :P

He was definitley drinking. "Billie Joe just hates Clear Channel" is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Okay, okay, maybe Usher's set just SEEMED longer to me, since GD was about to come on.

But, I still don't think it was all alcohol. Billie's been around the block a few times.....

95% this. Usher's set did not go over, as confirmed numerous times by festival organizers and Green Day's management. It's entirely possible that Billie Joe just hates Clear Channel and didn't want to do the show in the first place. It's also possible that he was pissed because he was supporting an R&B act, and it's damn-near certain that he was pissed at the hip-hop R&B crowd not getting into his rock at all.

But you'll never in a million years convince me that BJ wasn't hammered. Stuff like the tirade, dragging Longview on forever and stumbling across stage can be faked. Stuff like slurring his words while singing hopelessly off-key can't.

^THIS

And ask him the full name of this WB producer Mark dude I've worked with WB for since 1999 and have never heard of an in house WB producer by that name...

Yeah I think it's a combination of everything.

Billie was under the influence and let his emotions get the better of him. Nothing more, nothing less. He was drunk and acted pretty stupid and the band & audience didn't know how to react. We'll probably never know what ticked him off, but to me, it seemed like any "demons" or issues he had been facing just came to a head that night because he realized what kind of a crowd he was playing to, and how they didn't really react to his antics the way a Green Day crowd would.

It was an awkward situation for everyone that happened to be broadcast on several different programs.

Billie clearly wasn't sober, but it was also obvious that he didn't want to be there, and I know his outburst was brought on by that, and it makes sense for his hatred. I think there's a lot more to what happened than we know, and I think the record label freaked, because Clear Channel owns everything. Billie obviously had personal problems as well, I just think there's a lot that we don't know about.

Archived