What would you want Green Day's last song to be?

StuckWithInsomnia

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly i feel that X-Kid has the perfect nostalgia feel that I would want in a last Green Day song!

This whole thread got me thinking of the end of the Foo Fighters :sorry: I pray that it won't ever happen to Green Day

The Foos never ended, they're just on hiatus. Just sayin'.

If in the far future they were to play a final concert, they'd have to play of their studio songs in the order they appear on the albums,

ok it would be a 2 day non-stop concert but they wouldn't let that stop them

If in the far future they were to play a final concert, they'd have to play of their studio songs in the order they appear on the albums,

ok it would be a 2 day non-stop concert but they wouldn't let that stop them

How about like ... a 3 day Green Day festival? With the foxboro hottubs, the network, pinhead gunpowder, the big cats , a reunion of the lookouts, the frustrators and what not as support acts? :eyebrows: = Best day of my life.

How about like ... a 3 day Green Day festival? With the foxboro hottubs, the network, pinhead gunpowder, the big cats , a reunion of the lookouts, the frustrators and what not as support acts? :eyebrows: = Best day of my life.

I like your thinking :)

Good Riddance dur :P

If they had a final show, I would expect them to play for like 6 straight hours. It would be nice hearing all the singles and other great songs that often go unnoticed for a main act and all of American Idiot as an encore, followed by Good Riddance.

If they were to break up and they were playing their last show, what song would you want them to play last?

God, don't even say that. Not even as a joke.

Hmmm... good question. I think the only thing I can say it's that three great carreer closers would be JOS, Good Riddance, and *no one could expect it* Wow! That's Loud. Yes, i think W!TL can be an awesome closer for pretty much everything. Oh and also X-Kid! Another surprising great closer song!

EDIT: Ok, my mind continues finding perfect closers: I better do a list:

Jesus Of Suburbia

Good Riddance

Wow! That's Loud

X-Kid

Governator (just because of the "I'll be back!" :P)

Rusty James

The Forgotten

Amy

Whatsername

Homecoming

F.O.D.

Going To Pasalacqua

21st Century Breakdown

Lazy Bones

I don't think they'll break up. I don't really know so I'll post the songs I'd want them to play for the last show a.k.a. my favorites. It should be all of them.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams is my favorite song. It got me into Green Day along with American Idiot. It has meant so much to me and it sums up many things the band talks about. It should be in the final setlist.

Here's my version (not in order)

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

American Idiot

Basket Case

Welcome to Paradise

Let Yourself Go

Holiday

Jesus of Suburbia

Longview

Geek Stink Breath

East Jesus Nowhere

Favorite Son

Nuclear Family

Stay the Night

Burnout

Fuck Time

Makeout Party

Lazy Bones

99 Revolutions

Brain Stew

Know Your Enemy

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield

Green Day

Minority

Hitchin a Ride

and for the epic closer

J. A. R.

good riddance would always be my first choice, especially if they played their last show.

even if they played a song like no one knows (which would indeed fit perfectly to the situation) i'd simply have the feeling that something's missing. sure, it'd be their last show and it would feel different to all of us, no matter which song they played.. but it'd still be a green day show! and for me, a green day show, no matter if it was the last one or not, is a show ending with good riddance.

• 1 year later...

Definitely not something I like to think about. But it will happen at some point. Hopefully the guys will stay true to their word that "no one leaves Green Day unless it's in a coffin". If that's true, and nothing tragic happens to any of them, we've got about 36 more years of Green Day (that's when three out of four of them hit "average life expectancy"). Of course, they could outlive that. The oldest person ever recorded was 122, so we could get 80 more years of the band if they can make it that long. Which, doing even more dubious math would give us about 32 more albums (on average, they give us a record every 2.5 years). But back to topic...Let Yourself Go might be a good fit. Or any of these:

Let Yourself Go.

Haha You're Dad

Stay the Night

Minority

Good Riddance

Hmm... I'd say it's a tossup between "Homecoming," "American Eulogy," "See the Light," "Minority," "Good Riddance" (duhoy), "Before the Lobotomy," and "Android." "When I Come Around" or "Wake Me Up When September Ends" could also work, I suppose. Realistically, though, I honestly think that it would be a full-band acoustic rendition of "Good Riddance."

Definitely not something I like to think about. But it will happen at some point. Hopefully the guys will stay true to their word that "no one leaves Green Day unless it's in a coffin".

That was Billie who said that

And Billie's words hold as much weight as a fat kid who swears he won't eat candy if he is locked inside a candy factory overnight...

Plus there have been members who have left Green Day and are very much still alive

That was Billie who said that

And Billie's words hold as much weight as a fat kid who swears he won't eat candy if he is locked inside a candy factory overnight...

Plus there have been members who have left Green Day and are very much still alive

Yeah, John/Al left Green Day. But the current lineup has been holding it together since 1990.

Read the first few pages and saw the same old discussion of "the band will never split up because Billie said the only way anyone would leave the band was in a coffin blah blah" and I'm wondering if he ever said this or anything similar prior to American Idiot? I know he said it often since including many times live etc but did he ever say it or anything like it around Warning/Nimrod era or in fact any time before AI? I'm asking because of the numerous interviews (tv and print) that mention how Billie rang Mike and asked if he "even want(ed) to do do this any more" so I guess the idea of them splitting isn't beyond the realms of possibility at all.

Anyway I would pick Walk Away because it is depressing as fuck...it certainly made me miserable at Leeds.

Yeah, John/Al left Green Day. But the current lineup has been holding it together since 1990.

Jason White says hi.

Read the first few pages and saw the same old discussion of "the band will never split up because Billie said the only way anyone would leave the band was in a coffin blah blah" and I'm wondering if he ever said this or anything similar prior to American Idiot? I know he said it often since including many times live etc but did he ever say it or anything like it around Warning/Nimrod era or in fact any time before AI? I'm asking because of the numerous interviews (tv and print) that mention how Billie rang Mike and asked if he "even want(ed) to do do this any more" so I guess the idea of them splitting isn't beyond the realms of possibility at all.

Anyway I would pick Walk Away because it is depressing as fuck...it certainly made me miserable at Leeds.

They played it live?? And it probably depressed you because it was so darn bad. Why would Green Day go out with that piece of shit?

They played it live?? And it probably depressed you because it was so darn bad. Why would Green Day go out with that piece of shit?

Billie did a verse and chorus of it acoustic before Good Riddance at Leeds Festival last year.

Jason White says hi.

Okay. Let me try again. Billie, Mike and Tre have remained in Green Day from 1990 to present day, with Jason White being officially welcomed into the fold as of late 2012. We might get add ons over the years, but I don't think those three guys are going anywhere.

Speaking of add ons, what does everyone think about more people joining the band? Guys like Jason Freeze, Jeff Matika, Ronnie Blake? I know that's very unlikely, but I thought they did an excellent job during the American Idiot tour and afterward. They really made the songs sound how they were supposed to, where a lot of bands just come out and play a song with pianos/orchestra/etc. with just guitars, and it sounds awful. I wouldn't mind a six to seven man line-up if it ever happened. Again, I know that's extremely unlikely.

I don't remember which combination of guys did the 2005 tour, but they were awesome.

Archived