Jesus of Suburbia vs Homecoming - Which 9-minutes song do you prefer?

LifeStream

Which one do you prefer?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tough question!

But I'll go for Jesus of Suburbia... I think it's a masterpiece! I love mosts the part "Tales of Another Broken Home"... Just epic as hell!!!

Also the lyrics in JoS are awesome ... some example:

Oh, therapy, can you please fill the void?
Am I retarded or am I just overjoyed?
Nobody's perfect and I stand accused
For lack of a better word, and that's my best excuse

This alone would have been an awesome song!

But yeah Homecoming is also extremly good! but nothing is better than Jesus Of Suburbia! <3

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't agree with you more, my friend! Cheers!

Don't get me wrong I love this song but have to admit I prefer their older stuff being a fan for over 20 years.

In saying that it's probably in my top 5 Green Day songs of all time,absolute classic.

• 1 month later...

Well every second of Jesus of Suburbia is perfect so I will go for that one :) I do love Homecoming as well though, The Death of St. Jimmy part is amazing.

It's hard to choose between two masterpieces. I love these songs for lyrics and music, for the story behind them. They will be the FIRST ex aequo in my heart FOREVER :wub:

Hardest decision I've made in a a while :lol: and though there's no doubt I absolutly love Homecoming, and think both of them are masterpieces I'll go with JoS.

It's simply my soundtrack, as many said, I AM the son (daughter) of rage and love, there's almost nothing I can relate to as well as this song.

That song is the first song that I go to when I'm feeling sad, hurt or misunderstood, and it is also am amazing song I can rock out to when I'm happy :P
One of the best things that was ever written.

I like Homecoming. Especially the bouncy "here they come marching down the street, like a desperation murmur of a heartbeat" section.

Hard to choose, both songs are amazing, but i choose Jesus Of Suburbia by far, i´m in love with that song!!!

The line "like e desperation murmur of a heartbeat" is the best line Green Day has ever written in a song for me! HOMECOMING all the way!

Homecoming. The line "Jimmy died today" gives me chills. I'm really in love with that song, even though I love JOS too :happy: Plus, Mike and Tre are singing so it makes it even better!

Where Jesus of Suburbia feels much more trimmed and intentional, Homecoming has that random medley feel that I love about a song like 'A Quick One' too. I think Jesus of Surburbia is the better song in the perspective of writing a five-piece song, but Homecoming has more charm and some stronger moment both lyrically and musically. Homecoming also has much more diversity, though I do find "Rock 'n Roll Girlfriend" and "Nobody Likes You" a little forced when it comes to the storyline of the album, but the musical version made it work by bringing in Will and Tunny.

Whenever I listen to the album with the storyline in mind, Homecoming and JOS are the ones speaking the most to me, and I think that's the two songs' most important quality.

I have a little list here I composed over which songs I think are the best when it comes to telling the storyline of the album.

1. Homecoming

2. Jesus of Surburbia
3. Letterbomb
4. Whatsername
5. St. Jimmy
6. Give Me Novacaine
7. Are We The Waiting
8. Extraordinary Girl
9. Wake Me Up When September Ends
10. She's A Rebel
11. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
12. Holiday

13. American Idiot (ironically)

Homecoming. The line "Jimmy died today" gives me chills.

Yes, and I would like to highlight that line too, as one of the reasons Homecoming is my favorite of the two. It is one of the strongest lines on the whole album among "You're not the Jesus of Suburbia / The Saint Jimmy is a figment of / Your father's rage and your mother's love / Made in the Idiot America" and "I'll never turn back time / Forgetting you but not the time". Those three lines gets even more brought out in the AI Musical version.

JOS as a whole appeals to me much more than Homecoming, and I'd say it's my favorite. However, "The Death of St. Jimmy" and "We're Coming Home Again" strike an emotional chord that JOS doesn't, and I do like those parts a lot.

Yes, exactly. If you just add "East 12th Street" to that list, it just proves that Jesus of Suburbia is the better song coherently, but Homecoming has stronger individual moments.

It's close, but I go with Jesus of Suburbia.

I don't really think I can explain why. It just had me completely addicted from the first listen, the lyrics especially, the melodies, the transitions, everything.

I did however, write a 6-page paper on Homecoming for my poetry class two semesters ago. It was the most fun and most exciting assignment ever. I was super proud to be able to to write about the poetry/character of Homecoming and its place in the context of American Idiot.

Truth be told, I could write a thesis on American Idiot.

Archived