Jesus of Suburbia vs Homecoming - Which 9-minutes song do you prefer?

LifeStream

Which one do you prefer?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lyrically - Jesus of Suburbia

Musically - Homecoming

They're the best of both worlds, really.

Homecoming. The first time listened to the non singles from American Idiot, I heard St. Jimmy followed by Homecoming. When I heard that this character dies, I almost teared up, no joke.

I love both of them, this is hard! Homecoming used to be my favorite of the two, but right now I have to go with JOS. The lyrics are just out of this world amazing in JOS.

I'd have to say Jesus of Suburbia because its the first song that made me want to listen to Green Day, although I do love tre's part in homecoming :)

Both songs are, for a lack of a better word, "epic" in every way. Really paying homage to The Who with their 9 minute epics, but to me, "Homecoming" will be my favorite. Hell, it's my all-time favorite Green Day song and when my iTunes library holds almost 500 Green Day songs, that is saying a lot.

To me, "Homecoming" just gives me chills. From Mike's part in Nobody Likes You, to Tre's upbeat Rock 'n' Roll Girlfriend, the song meshed so well together and really celebrated the band as a whole. My favorite part is probably the ending because every time I listen to it, goosebumps go up and down my neck. It had the most epic feel to a song that I have heard in a long time.

Although both songs are magical, "Homecoming" will, to me, always be my favorite of the two

I think Jesus of Suburbia is a better crafted song, and I love it, but emotionally, I think I have more of a connection to Homecoming. So, since the question is "Which do you PREFER," not "Which do you think is BETTER," I'll go with Homecoming, but that's not saying I don't adore JoS.

I LOVE both of these 2 songs so much, but I think I love Jesus Of Suburbia just a tad bit more.

JOS.

Who can resist air-guitaring to that intro? :P

I love different parts of both of these 9 minute epics, but JOS wins out mainly because of Dearly Beloved( :wub: ) and Tré's drum solo in part 1.

At first I preferred JOS, then Homecoming, and now JOS is one of my outright favorite song ever!

I love them both and they are my favorite two Green Day songs! Lyrically and musically I love them both, they're 9 minutes and I never get bored of them!

I think that the majority of people prefer "Homecoming" because it's not a single. I think that "JOS" is everybody's song, whether you're a casual fan or a hardcore fan, with "Homecoming" it just feels like it's the fans 9 minute song of epic proportion, not many 'casual' fans know that "Homecoming" exists, and I'd like to keep it that way. It's just a perfect song.

6:07 is one of the best riffs Billie has ever made and the whole act is almost like a celebration of their career.

I live for that riff. :wub:

If I had to pick one part of any Green Day song to listen to over and over again, it would be from 6:07-6:13 in Homecoming.

I love everything about Homecoming, but I had to vote for JOS, because it was my anthem for a good couple of years.

Yeah, I like Homecoming, but... I've ALWAYS liked Jesus of Suburbia more. I just have always thought it's a better song. Homecoming has great moments, but JOS is great overall.

Ah, as much as i love Homecoming, it's always going to be JoS. I remember hearing it for the first time; my friend gave me a burnt copy of AI cos i wanted a few of the singles from it, and i listened to it in my bed from start to finish that night. Hearing JoS after the opening track was the first time GD for me, having heard none of their back catologue, were not just a band with a few hit singles such as Boulevard, but were something special and one of a kind. Needless to say, didn't sleep very much that night as the record got played and replayed, mostly for the highlight of Jos. Not a fan of any music beforehand, hearing American Idiot and tracks like JoS (and Homecoming) changed nearly EVERYTHING for me.

My favorite part is goddamn hard to choose but i'll have to go with City of the Damned.

I can't decide, it's 2 parts of the same story. I think I'm more fond of Homecoming though, purely because of the "don't wanna be an American idiot" in Tre's part.

I can't decide, it's 2 parts of the same story. I think I'm more fond of Homecoming though, purely because of the "don't wanna be an American idiot" in Tre's part.

Funny, I always hated that bit. Sounded like it was just jammed in there, to make the section relevant to the overall theme of the album. Like the middle part of Letterbomb.

Funny, I always hated that bit. Sounded like it was just jammed in there, to make the section relevant to the overall theme of the album. Like the middle part of Letterbomb.

I like that it's all tied together, I learned English by listening to that album ._.

I like that it's all tied together, I learned English by listening to that album ._.

Fair excuse. I like how they did it on Letterbomb, I just felt it was unnecessary in Rock N Roll Girlfriend.

Archived