Alternative Press reviews ¡TRE!

tdlyon

I don't think there's a Tre review thread yet, and this is the first review I've seen for it, so here it goes:

Green Day

TRE

3/5

Go Download: Amanda

By this point, everyone should realize Billie Joe Armstrong's admission into rehab in mid-September was not a publicity stunt: Green Day's touring schedule has been postponed indefinitely, iDOS! was released in November with minimal press to back it up and iTRE! had to be bumped up from its original January 2013 release date to try and keep the band's momentum moving while Armstrong was out of the spotlight. It is easy to dig through all three of Green Day's new albums to look for clues regarding Armstrong's alleged drug habit (odds are, you found some on Dos), but Tre is the cleanest, soberest record out of the trilogy. As such, it feels more like leftovers from the first two albums than its own cohesive work.

The album opens with "Brutal Love", a 60's-esque soul song that is practically a straight knock-off of Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me," albeit with louder guitars and a really sexy horn section. It feels like the morning after the wild New Year's Eve party that was Dos, and it gently eases you into the rest of the record. "Missing You" is a solid follow-up, carrying a Nimrod-era pop-punk vibe. The chorus of "I'm missing you/I'm missing you/You're not around and I'm a complete disaster/I'm missing you" isn't exactly going to win Armstrong any Pulitzers, but the sincerity with which he delivers his lovelorn message is moving.

Sadly, it's one of the few times Tre feels energetic and interesting. "8th Avenue Serenade" sounds like an outtake from Warning; "Drama Queen" is a plodding acoustic number that would put an insomniac to sleep; the closing track "The Forgotten" is Armstrong's full-fledged attempt at being John Lennon, but the sappy piano ballad is one of the limpest things the trio have ever recorded, better suited for Elton John than punk-rock loyalty.

But that's kind of the point; Green Day's recorded catalog sits somewhere around 200 songs, and that breadth includeds everything from sloppy covers of ska-core classics to nine-minute rock-opera suites. So why the fuck NOT write a piano ballad? Or a fun, if WAY-late-to-the-party tribute to the Occupy movement ("99 Revolutions")? Or another multi-part punk-rock suite that's a blast to listen to, even though it has absolutely no context ("Dirty Rotten Bastards")? Or another Nimrod-esque mid-tempo pop-punk number with bassist Mike Dirnt inexplicably singing lead for exactly 10 seconds ("Sex, Drugs, and Violence")? Tre feels scattershot and slapped together, making it difficult to enjoy on its own merits. There are definitely songs worth cherry-picking to add to your mega-mix of your favorite Green Day songs from this recent trilogy ("X-Kid," "Little Boy Named Train," and "Amanda" are our endorsements). But it's unlikely you'll find yourself wanting to listen to Tre on any sort of consistent basis.

Not sure if I like this review. We learn a lot about the songs, but they talk shit about a lot of the songs we already know we like.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only comment on this....

Or a fun, if WAY-late-to-the-party tribute to the Occupy movement ("99 Revolutions")?

It's their first record since Occupy....

All that stuff they mention in the last paragraph as "just randomly thrown in there" sound pretty good to me... :ninja:

So, they didn't like 3 out of 12 songs, therefore it's a 3/5? The rest of the review sounds like it warrants a 4/5 at least; that's how I read it. Very interesting review to say the least, it sounds like the album is going to switch gears a lot from song to song, kind of like Dos. This has actually made me more excited for the album, can't wait.

This has only gotten me more excited for this record! Horns on Brutal Love and Mike singing? Fuck yeah!!!

I think it made me even more excited as this was the kind of album I was hoping for to close out this trilogy. An album that mixes some of the best elements of Warning, Nimrod, and American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown as well as the first two albums. These song descriptions and the fact that the running time of the album is a good healthy 46 or so minutes, this may edge out ¡Dos! as my favorite of the trilogy. I'm psyched now.

EDIT: Well, I was already psyched 'cause I love X-Kid, Drama Queen, 99 Revolutions and The Forgotten so far. Hell, I love every song from these albums so I have no doubt I'll love this entire album as well. They never disappoint me.

Another stereotypical passive agressive Green Day review. Take it with a grain of salt, the reviewer seems to be clearly a bit biased so whatever. I'll be biased too.

BUT it's interesting we get to hear a bit about the songs. Even more excited for X-Kid and Dirty Rotten Bastards.

I like what they said about The Forgotten. Song is terrible.

I've been worried that Tre wouldn't be that good. After listening to Uno and Dos, I can't help feel that maybe they should have just picked the best tracks and made them into one album, although I definitely see why they did three instead.

They didn't even touch on Walk Away. Weird. Who the fuck cares. This shitty review won't change my excitement for Tre.

So glad mike gets some lead vocal time. I was doubting that he or Tre would get any. Just wish he had more than 10 seconds.

Also, OP, could you post a link please?

This issue literally just came in my mailbox today. I couldn't find this online so I just typed it up. I'm on my phone right now so I can't look it up, but they may have posted it on their website by now.

If Brutal Love is supposed to be Sam Cooke-esque, and we're getting a brief, yet very welcomed, Mike Dirnt vocal (sex drugs and violence), and if The Forgotten and Drama Queen were considered the weak points of the album, then this passive-indefferent review has actually got me more excited for the album! Now if only we knew something about "Walk Away". It's to Tre as "Ashley/Baby Eyes" was to Dos and "Loss Of Control" was to Uno in that we didn't hear anything of them until the album dropped.

If Brutal Love is supposed to be Sam Cooke-esque, and we're getting a brief, yet very welcomed, Mike Dirnt vocal (sex drugs and violence), and if The Forgotten and Drama Queen were considered the weak points of the album, then this passive-indefferent review has actually got me more excited for the album! Now if only we knew something about "Walk Away". It's to Tre as "Ashley/Baby Eyes" was to Dos and "Loss Of Control" was to Uno in that we didn't hear anything of them until the album dropped.

this is off topic but I love your avatar. seriously!!!!

on topic: can't wait for ¡Tre! no matter what any review anywhere says.

Where the hell is "Walk Away" ? What kind of review is that? They ain't review fucking 1D goddamit! It's Green Day!!!

All these reviewers suck a big dick!

Just going on that I would say the reviewer was an asshole. He/she just sounds like a pig.

I never known 3/5 was considered to be bad. The way they reviewed, it seems as if they want to give it a 1.5

no. wake up.

they said it has some really good songs, some bad songs and the songs seem like randomly thrown together. a 3/5 makes absolutely sense. i cant say if i will feel the same, but dont hate on the review cause they stated their (good) opinion of tre very well.

no. wake up.

they said it has some really good songs, some bad songs and the songs seem like randomly thrown together. a 3/5 makes absolutely sense. i cant say if i will feel the same, but dont hate on the review cause they stated their (good) opinion of tre very well.

I'm very much awoke, and I wouldn't care if they gave it a negative review. He/She only listed four songs that he/she enjoyed so a 3/5 doesn't make sense at all.

wrong again. live with it.

tracks described as generally good songs: Brutal Love, Missing You, 99 Revolutions, Dirty Rotten Bastards, X-Kid, Little Boy Named Train, and Amanda

tracks described as bad songs: 8th Avenue Serenade, Drama Queen, The Forgotten

neutral: Sex, Drugs, and Violence

and @ all fangirls and boys. you dont have to insult some reviewer and go and kill him and his familly just because he didnt gave a green day album you dont even know 5 stars.

your behaviour is just emberassingly childish.

wrong again. live with it.

tracks described as generally good songs: Brutal Love, Missing You, 99 Revolutions, Dirty Rotten Bastards, X-Kid, Little Boy Named Train, and Amanda

tracks described as bad songs: 8th Avenue Serenade, Drama Queen, The Forgotten

neutral: Sex, Drugs, and Violence

and @ all fangirls and boys. you dont have to insult some reviewer and go and kill him and his familly just because he didnt gave a green day album you dont even know 5 stars.

your behaviour is just emberassingly childish.

Critics are human beings as well. They are not gods or something, so they can be right or wrong in their own ways.... We don't give a fuck really. When you are saying that someone's wrong, do you have any proof of it? Is there any mathematical formula that approves your statement?

No. So anyone can say anything here, and you are not the one who should judge opinions of others.

Good.

Tre is going to rock, whatever the critics say! I can't wait for it to come out! I think the fans have a way better understanding of and appreciation for Green Day's work than any critic ever could.

Tre really sounds promising... I think you know you like a band a lot when negative reviews make you even more excited to hear the album, and you know you'll love it.

I was REALLY hoping for a Tre song, though. That would have put the cherry on top... Maybe as a B-Side, that could be great. That's over optimistic, though.

EDIT: Tre song meaning a song BY Tre, not from the album, haha.

Even though this reviewer doesn't seem to really have a solid opinion, the review made me way more excited. Cannot fucking wait.

Archived