Family of a 17 year old Irish Green Day fan who died yesterday are trying to get a message from Green Day

Mellyboots

Green Day says meaningful things in a generic message at every concert... it is certainly possible for them to do the same thing in a generic video... plus if they felt like it... the video could be updated once in a while. The thought I am having though is that so many people want messages from their favorite band for special events that nearly every fan has in their life... so why not make something for those events. It is no longer reasonable to do personalized messages for every one that comes along asking for one... yet those special events are very important... it wouldn't hurt to recognize that.

Personally I don't like the idea of a funeral video... but videos for weddings/ birthdays that could be downloaded free from the internet... that would be neat.

That's kind of pretentious isn't it? To put up a video at your wedding and expect all the guests to either believe or pretend the video is a personal message from Green Day. And if you get a thrill out of watching some generic video on your big day, well that seems kind of psychotic. "Nobody congratulated me on my birthday, at least I have Green Day to wish me happy birthday". I think Green Day has enough integrity to never consider this, I think their limit went at ringtones.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really understand why they want to do it though?

I get it if the person is still alive and what's to meet them or something as a last wish or something, but he is dead, it's not like he'll know about it?

It is really sad though, rip :(

Has anybody read the facebook comments? They're so sappy and bullshit. I'm glad we keep it real here at GDC. Feel bad for the cousin, but at least that guy actually has seen Green Day live. I'm sure there have been less fortunate fans who've died without ever seeing Green Day.

Wow, only 17. :( That's truly sad to hear they lost someone so young.

I agree with everyone else though, playing his favourite songs at the funeral is enough. To be honest I think that's more meaningful than any acknowledgement from the band - he knew their music, not them personally. They could and probably will get a tweet from Adrienne, but what does that mean, really? He isn't even alive to know.

It's also a little selfish that they haven't considered Billie's situation. Their loss is tragic, but it can't really be someone who didn't know them and is sick himself's responsibility to help pick up the pieces. I hope the band won't get a lot of shit if they don't do it, that would be unfair.

I hope the family reconsider and just decide to play his favourite songs. :) I think that would be awesome and a really nice way to say goodbye to someone who was a big fan.

Green Day says meaningful things in a generic message at every concert... it is certainly possible for them to do the same thing in a generic video... plus if they felt like it... the video could be updated once in a while. The thought I am having though is that so many people want messages from their favorite band for special events that nearly every fan has in their life... so why not make something for those events. It is no longer reasonable to do personalized messages for every one that comes along asking for one... yet those special events are very important... it wouldn't hurt to recognize that.

Personally I don't like the idea of a funeral video... but videos for weddings/ birthdays that could be downloaded free from the internet... that would be neat.

Good Riddance, or plenty of the other songs to choose from the band..

they already put pretty much everything in their songs, people can share it if they ever needed

the reason i bring Good Riddance up is coz from 4:00 here:

rip the boy.

Concerts are different, though. They're there in the flesh. Even if they ran a script verbatim every night, every night and every show would have differences, because they are human, and the audience is different, and their day was different...

It is like recording an outgoing message on an answering machine... Everyone gets the same message... You're talking to a machine. It would be no more special than just playing some live footage or something.

Good Riddance, or plenty of the other songs to choose from the band..

they already put pretty much everything in their songs, people can share it if they ever needed

the reason i bring Good Riddance up is coz from 4:00 here:

rip the boy.

Good Riddance? Really? I'd go with Last Night on Earth, Macy's Day Parade, or When It's Time. Even Rest or No One Knows.

Ok seriously? The kid was 17!! Dont retweet if you dont want to but there is no need for people to act like dicks either. Billie has sent messages to the kid with terminal cancer and written a letter to the (French i think?) girl Anne who missed a gig due to illness and wrote to him (remember it was on his instagram). The kid may be dead but the family must know of the bands history of giving a shit when they dont have to and since we all grieve differently (and given the kids age they are goin through some trauma right now) this seemed a nice farewell in their minds. Its very unlikely the band will do it given their current situation but really uts unnecessary to act like dicks...this was a fellow fan and a kid.

Good Riddance? Really? I'd go with Last Night on Earth, Macy's Day Parade, or When It's Time. Even Rest or No One Knows.

I was replying to the person who said GD should do "generic videos for special events that nearly every fan has in their life"

what songs you wanna choose/ for what is totally up to you.

he knew their music, not them personally.

This pretty much sums up the whole situation. To me, simply playing the music sounds more meaningful than having some old guys you dont know saying sorry you're dead. Bedsides the band reaching out to ill fans makes complete sense because theyre showing support for the fan, but this kid doesnt need support anymore, the family does. How is Green Day supposed to be meaningful to them? Besides making funeral videos? Aint nobody got time for that

anyway i like this thread, its getting deep. Rest in peace man

I'm sure the family's trying to do the right thing, but I don't know who it'd actually help (other than maybe the family members, and even then it's kind of creepy). I think it's better when bands try to raise awareness to a cause (visit childrens' hospitals etc).

I do feel bad for them, 17 is way too young to die, but... I'd feel a bit weird if I went to someone's funeral and there was a message from a band that the person loved. I don't know. It's just better to play songs and maybe put items on the grave or something.

R.I.P.

Wow, it seems the majority of Green Day fans are heartless idiots. The guy was SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD! He collapsed and died suddenly in his home in Dublin on Friday.

It's his friends, not his family, who have started the campaign as a way of grieving (it's a thing that people who have hearts do) for their friend.

Do some of you really think that his mother and fathers first thoughts when their son died was to try contact Green Day? Wow.

Those of you suggesting that they're doing it to gain attention or to guilt trip Green Day into making a video, grow up.

They're grieving for their friend that they loved and adored,he was a really nice guy who did some charity work and wouldn't harm a fly.

You don't have to agree with the campaign or support it, but to suggest some of the things that you have is quite frankly embarrassing.

The campaign has gathered quite a lot of pace and Green Day's record label has contacted the band about the request.

As I've said, you don't have to support it or agree with it, but if it aids the friends and family of him grieve then it's worth it.

Maybe show some respect for a FELLOW GREEN DAY FAN and keep your negative and horrible thoughts to yourself in a time of sensitivity for his friends and family? Because like me, they may type his name into google and come across this thread.

Would you like to read all these things about your beloved friend or son/brother/cousin that has just tragically died?

Grow up, guys.

Would you like to read all these things about your beloved friend or son/brother/cousin that has just tragically died?

Grow up, guys.

then dont read them. you dont have to be on here, you should be out campaigning for your friend. no one is undermining the tragedy of this young mans death, we are just talking about green day. its kind of what we do. Besides i dont think anyone doubts the intentions, its the results that are a bit controversial. I would want his death to be about him, but now (to us, not to family and friends by any means) its about whether Green Day will or should respond. seems... unfortunate

then dont read them. you dont have to be on here, you should be out campaigning for your friend. Besides i dont think anyone doubts the intentions, its the results that are a bit controversial.

If you don't think anyone doubts the intentions you obviously haven't read some of the previous posts.

As I said in my previous posts, some people should show some compassion and respect. Whether they know the guy or not.

I don't expect Green Day to make a video, I respect their decision. However, even if they wrote a small Facebook or Twitter status or released a statement it would mean a hell of a lot to the people who cared about him most. I'm sure if anything tragic were to unfortunately happen to one of you or someone you loved, you would like the thought of your favourite band ever paying a small tribute.

I think the majority of people here recognize that the people behind this campaign have good intentions. It's just not everybody thinks it's a good idea when the band isn't active at the moment as one of the members is currently going through rehab, they didn't know Kaelem Hainsworth personally, he's tragically no longer around to enjoy a message from the band, and there's a big chance of being disappointed. It's obviously up to you if this is what you want to do but just because some people don't agree with it that doesn't mean they don't have sympathy for him and his loved ones.

I agree there's some heartless and uncalled for posts here (mostly by one person), but I certainly don't think most of them are.

I think the majority of people here recognize that the people behind this campaign have good intentions. It's just not everybody thinks it's a good idea when the band isn't active at the moment as one of the members is currently going through rehab, they didn't know Kaelem Hainsworth personally, he's tragically no longer around to enjoy a message from the band, and there's a big chance of being disappointed. It's obviously up to you if this is what you want to do but just because some people don't agree with it that doesn't mean they don't have sympathy for him and his loved ones.

I agree there's some heartless and uncalled for posts here (mostly by one person), but I certainly don't think most of them are.

Completely understand. As I said, I dont expect them to make a video. i think it's slightly unrealistic, personally.

My issue isn't with whether Green Day make a video for him or not, it's with a few people being incredibly insensitive and heartless and then people jumping on the band wagon, and perhaps moderators allowing crude jokes being made about his death going unpunished.

If you don't think anyone doubts the intentions you obviously haven't read some of the previous posts.

As I said in my previous posts, some people should show some compassion and respect. Whether they know the guy or not.

I don't expect Green Day to make a video, I respect their decision. However, even if they wrote a small Facebook or Twitter status or released a statement it would mean a hell of a lot to the people who cared about him most. I'm sure if anything tragic were to unfortunately happen to one of you or someone you loved, you would like the thought of your favourite band ever paying a small tribute.

i have read them, and i far as i'm concerned one person being a douche about it doesnt account for " the majority of Green Day fans are heartless idiots". But i dont know, maybe you're seeing something that i'm not.

It just bothers most of us that this is brought upon the band like they have an obligation to do something and if they dont theyre horrible people. The boy who had brain cancer said Green Day was one of his favorite bands and Billie made the choice to reach out to him. This is more like Green Day make us a video or you'll break our hearts and disrespect Kaelem's memory. It wasn't the intention obviously but thats how most of us see it. Maybe others wont and thats good. I hope his friends wouldnt be too disappointed.

Anyway its an extremely touchy subject, this is someone death we're talking about. I hope everything turns out okay

Completely understand. As I said, I dont expect them to make a video. i think it's slightly unrealistic, personally.

My issue isn't with whether Green Day make a video for him or not, it's with a few people being incredibly insensitive and heartless and then people jumping on the band wagon, and perhaps moderators allowing crude jokes being made about his death going unpunished.

making these kind of joke's not a "crime", unless it's directly against another member on here - At least that's what I think and I personally would like it to be handled. Punishing someone for that's bullshit.

I am really sorry for the family with their loss.

I think, seeing the circumstances, it will be difficult to have the band make a video message (I don't think they would do that anyway) but I am sure if either Billie, Adrienne or anyone from the band gets the attention of this message they would at least send a message in some sort to show the family some support.

I understand the people who would rather not be a part of this. But try to understand the family's point of view. They must be devastated with their loss and obviously want to do something special for the funeral, even if it is a little far fetched.

Love knows no boundaries.

i have read them, and i far as i'm concerned one person being a douche about it doesnt account for " the majority of Green Day fans are heartless idiots". But i dont know, maybe you're seeing something that i'm not.

It just bothers most of us that this is brought upon the band like they have an obligation to do something and if they dont theyre horrible people. The boy who had brain cancer said Green Day was one of his favorite bands and Billie made the choice to reach out to him. This is more like Green Day make us a video or you'll break our hearts and disrespect Kaelem's memory. It wasn't the intention obviously but thats how most of us see it. Maybe others wont and thats good. I hope his friends wouldnt be too disappointed.

Anyway its an extremely touchy subject, this is someone death we're talking about. I hope everything turns out okay

Well if that's how most of you see it, isn't that your own issue/problem rather than the people who are trying to do it for their friend?

No one is trying to force Green Day to do anything, it's a request for their loved one.

No one has said that Green Day will be disrespectful or break their hearts if its not done.

Some of you guys came to that conclusion all on your own.

There's not going to be an anti-green day protest in Ireland if they don't make a video.

No ones going to burn their merch on a bonfire.

It's simply a group of people who cared about the guy trying to get a message for him and something to remember him by.

Of course things like this aren't always done. it's the modern day we live in. The beauty of the power of the Internet.

That a young boy in Dublin, Ireland can pass away and a band as huge and successful as Green Day can acknowledge him.

Would it really hurt some of you guys so much if they reached out to his family or friends? Why all the hate and negativity from some?

It wouldn't do any harm for Green Day to acknowledge it. In fact, they'd gain huge respect internationally for it. I know for a fact it's a huge story here in Ireland, so it would be well appreciated.

making these kind of joke's not a "crime", unless it's directly against another member on here - At least that's what I think and I personally would like it to be handled. Punishing someone for that's bullshit.

I don't expect someone to be criminally prosecuted or banned from the website for life, but a warning about future posts should be issued.

We're talking about a seventeen year old green day fan here, hardly something to make nasty jokes about, is it?

I am really sorry for the family with their loss.

I think, seeing the circumstances, it will be difficult to have the band make a video message (I don't think they would do that anyway) but I am sure if either Billie, Adrienne or anyone from the band gets the attention of this message they would at least send a message in some sort to show the family some support.

I understand the people who would rather not be a part of this. But try to understand the family's point of view. They must be de devistated with their loss and obviously want to do something special for the funeral, even if it is a little far fetched.

Love knows no boundaries.

Exactly.

As I mentioned, Warner Bros have got in touch with Green Day over the request. I think they will send a message to the family and friends. Maybe on Facebook or Twitter.

Come on.. the guy is dead! Of course its sad that he died but really.. I dont think the rest of this family would actually care if Green Day sent a video...

as one said here, it would be another thing if he was dying.. it seems pretty rediculus to me, but great thought though.... R.I.P!

Not doing it. Sorry. That'd be nice, but it'd draw too much attention to the family, and what would GD say? "Sorry, I'm sure he was a nice guy"?They didn't know this kid. Everyone dies. Big deal.

I agree. I highly doubt it will happen anyway.

No to sound like an ass or anything but it's just a reality check

Guest Honey Emerald

A "devil's advocate" question: Why does a person "dying" make a message more suitable... ? Why is it not suitable to send a message to people affected by a person who died?

On the idea I had about generic videos: Yes, a more personalized message might make a person feel better and they might feel unique to the band because of it... but... I have seen a few requests over the years for things like this... would it really HURT to have some kind of generic message? It would not even have to be a video message... it would be kind of odd seeing them years from now on an old video recorded message now that I think about it... At any rate... it was an idea... not advice... shoot it down if you want to.

Archived