Family of a 17 year old Irish Green Day fan who died yesterday are trying to get a message from Green Day

Mellyboots

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not doing it. Sorry. That'd be nice, but it'd draw too much attention to the family, and what would GD say? "Sorry, I'm sure he was a nice guy"?They didn't know this kid. Everyone dies. Big deal.

Now that I think about it, I won't listen I think at least one Green Day fan dies everyday and does Green Day record a message everyday? I mean if I die, I hope my family can do that too, sorry to the family of that guy and hope that he can rest in peace but I won't do it!

Not doing it. Sorry. That'd be nice, but it'd draw too much attention to the family, and what would GD say? "Sorry, I'm sure he was a nice guy"?They didn't know this kid. Everyone dies. Big deal.

Billie and Adrienne personally called a family who's son had terminal brain cancer. They do care. And it was brought to their attention through social media

Billie and Adrienne personally called a family who's son had terminal brain cancer. They do care. And it was brought to their attention through social media

So? They're not gonna whore themselves out everytime someone who claims to be a "big fan" dies.

Ok, how many times has this happened? I can count 3 times since American Idiot.

I don't think they'll do a video at a funeral...that's kinda creepy. But I'm sure if they know, they'll do a twitter shoutout or something

Please don't start a fight over it. Trust me, I understand why people wouldn't do it. In other circumstances I'd probably have the exact same viewpoint. But, I was asked to help and I'm not gonna ignore that.

So? They're not gonna whore themselves out everytime someone who claims to be a "big fan" dies.

Careful you don't cut yourself on those edges, buddy.

Please don't start a fight over it. Trust me, I understand why people wouldn't do it. In other circumstances I'd probably have the exact same viewpoint. But, I was asked to help and I'm not gonna ignore that.

That's fine. I'm sure people will see this thread and tweet. I have no problem if GD does it, i just don't think they will.

I could start a thread saying my mom died and I want a shoutout from Green Day. Y'know? It's just meh.

Everyone dies. Big deal.

I could start a thread saying my mom died and I want a shoutout from Green Day. Y'know? It's just meh.

Wonderful displays of sympathy there. Truly heartwarming.

In other news, I saw Dara O' Briain tweeting about this early and saw it was trending, but never actually made the Green Day connection. Now that I think about it, seems obvious!

What do you think X-Kid is about? You never know what Billie could do...

Besides that I would love to help, writing a tweet right now :)

I am truly sorry for the family of this kid, and I think it would be nice if Green Day could say a few words in a video for this guy. However, I don't think it is really likely. Green Day is probably still scheduling future tour dates and/or kicking back and taking it sleazy. Not saying Green Day is mean or lazy, but events and appearances have slowed to a stop, so why would they put the effort into making a video right now? I'm sure however, that if Green Day does hear the news, they will post something in his honor on twitter or instagram or something.

What do you think X-Kid is about? You never know what Billie could do...

Besides that I would love to help, writing a tweet right now :)/>

X-Kid is about Billie's life-long close friend, with more empathis on growning up. This is some dude that Billie doesnt know from half way around the world

X-Kid is about Billie's life-long close friend, with more empathis on growning up. This is some dude that Billie doesnt know from half way around the world

Man, those edges just keep getting edgier and edgier.

Keep this up and you'll never have to buy scissors again!

Man, those edges just keep getting edgier and edgier.

Keep this up and you'll never have to buy scissors again!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, I'm very sorry to hear that. It really is a shame, but Green Day probably won't be able to do anything this short of notice, especially with Billie in rehab still. It does seem a stretch to try to get the band to do this in the first place, but you never know. They're pretty incredible, caring people and just might surprise us. I think it's great that they've done things before for their fans in similar situations and it proves how much they care. It's always tragic when someone dies and I'm sure there are other Green Day fans that have died over the years. We only hear about the ones who's families took it public to try to get the band's sympathy. I think that's okay. Obviously not every fan that dies is going to request something like this or have their family decide to contact Green Day. If the band is sympathetic and responds to the requests that are made, then good for them!

It's not our place to judge those who are grieving and trying to find a way to cope.

I don't know how I feel about this to be honest. It's obviously really sad that he passed away and I'm sure the family are only doing what they think he'd want, but...I dunno. I feel like it's an attempt to guilt-trip the band into making a video, like if they don't then they're going to be seen as uncaring or whatever when the likelihood is they're probably really busy and then there's the stuff with Billie as well. They might not even see it in time. I think the support shown in general for the guy is great, but I'm not sure I could get behind the support to make a funeral video, it's a bit much. I mean, fair enough if Green Day happen to see it and make a tribute in some form off their own backs, but, y'know, actually asking them to do it is a bit demanding is it not?

I'm just thinking that if I'd been the one that died, I'm not sure I'd want my family trying to get Green Day to make a video for me. But maybe that's just me!

(This is my first post in god knows how long, a rather random return. But I saw this on FB and wanted to post my thoughts somewhere!)

I might just be an asshole, but the only reason I didn't help (I was sent emails and tweets) was because it didn't make sense to me. I mean, it's kind of late for this guy to get any real satisfaction from the idea that Green Day said something.

I might just be an asshole, but the only reason I didn't help (I was sent emails and tweets) was because it didn't make sense to me. I mean, it's kind of late for this guy to get any real satisfaction from the idea that Green Day said something.

Yeah, same. If the guy was sick or something I might get behind it. But it is a lot to ask if it is just for his memory. The only way I can see anyone saying anything at all is if Adrienne catches wind of it and decides to tell Billie. And then someone might post a message about it or something, but other than that...

The family should be realistic and just play his favourite Green Day song(s) at his funeral.

I don't see why they don't just do that. Why seek recognition from the band?

These are terrible people.
No doubt I will be called a heartless bastard, but I hear where you are coming from.

Others words I thought of were; selfish, misguided and, as I chose to write earlier, unrealistic. Different people handle grief in very different ways, but twitter campaigns....

The family should be realistic and just play his favourite Green Day song(s) at his funeral.

I agree. They're setting themselves up for disappointment at a time when things must be unimaginably hard as it is. And as Andres said the boy's not around anymore to get any enjoyment out of it himself anyway. It's a bad idea.

Archived