Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Debate: Should The Age of Consent Be Lowered?

Debate GDC

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,813 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,507 rep

16 seems about right.

Or make the half age +7 thing a legally binding thing. That'd probably work quite nicely.

That might suck when you get passed the age of 20. As a 19 year old my top boundary is 24.... that rules out quite a few guys I've been interested in. :P

gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007
  • 538 rep

Different country.

Judge's can't pick and choose when they want a law to be enforced. They, with a jury, can weigh up evidence and decide what verdict may be come to, if any, they can't solely make the decision on whether they feel if a case matches with their stand point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original topic of this post did address Age of Consent on a global level, did it not? it even specifcally addressed the US at points. So why would you dismiss a statement about U.S. statutory rape law by simply saying "different country"?

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,813 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,507 rep

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original topic of this post did address Age of Consent on a global level, did it not? it even specifcally addressed the US at points. So why would you dismiss a statement about U.S. statutory rape law by simply saying "different country"?

I'm not, but when talking about specifics such as judges, the law etc, we are actually allowed to specify. Iolanda and I were discussing something, and seeing as we are both from the UK I naturally referred to laws here.

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • what is edd may never die

• 15,086 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 3,057 rep

16 seems about right.

Or make the half age +7 thing a legally binding thing. That'd probably work quite nicely.

that's daft though i think, i mean my boyfriend is nineteen and i'm sixteen so yeah we're fine, but in just under two weeks he turns twenty and suddenly we're "wrong" until i turn seventeen in april? how does that even work?

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,614 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,309 rep

that's daft though i think, i mean my boyfriend is nineteen and i'm sixteen so yeah we're fine, but in just under two weeks he turns twenty and suddenly we're "wrong" until i turn seventeen in april? how does that even work?

Hmmm...perhaps it works better as a guideline rather than a rule...

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • what is edd may never die

• 15,086 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 3,057 rep

Hmmm...perhaps it works better as a guideline rather than a rule...

yeah, i'd rather not have to go on a four-month break due to some dumb law :P
  • Comrade likes this

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,072 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,806 rep
16 is fine. My friend lost her virginity when she was 14, and while that may seem ''immature'' to some people, she's still with the guy and they're relationship appears more mature than anything I've ever been in. It really depends on the person and how they can handle things. As for age gaps, I'm a little wary of them. Older guys/girls have different needs from teenagers, and generally most teenagers are incredibly immature. I think someone in their teens dating someone over 20 is a little stretched, but that's just my opinion, eh.
  • BeachBum and Todd like this

Radioactive1

Radioactive1
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts
  • Joined May 19, 2006
  • 213 rep
I think 16 is fine to have sex. I think mid to late 15 is fine too, as long as the two people involved are educated in safe sex and feel ready, then its their preference and personal choice. Yes the majority of them will probably not stay with that person and may regret it in later life but I lost my virginity at 18 and I'm still not with that person and I regret it. You can regret it what any age you are. What does scare me is 16 year olds getting pregnant. Like there were loads of girls who were in year 11 taking our GCSEs who were pregnant. You can create and raise a life at 16 but you cant vote, cant buy cigarettes, cant get a credit card, cant fucking drive and cant buy alcohol. Madness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate, GDC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users