Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Debate: Should The Age of Consent Be Lowered?

Debate GDC

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,701 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,644 rep
I think it should be lowered to 16 internationally to compromise. That way there'd be no confusion when fucking the french exchange student at your school. 14 is a little too young, but by 16-17, women are women and men are men. Simple as that. But foster parent/foster kid, that's just sick. Student/Teacher, meh. There are teachers that I'd do.
  • gerardsangel4977 likes this

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep
Can someone tell me what the actual age of consent in Ireland actually is? I know in Northern Ireland it is 16 but i think it is 17 here. A friend, on her 16th birthday, started claiming to everyone she was now 'legal' but her and i got on this long-ass debate over what the age of consent here is. Everyone else here seems to think it is 16 too, but why don't i believe them?

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 18,882 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 903 rep
It's 16 here, and I think that's fine. Off course there's people who have sex before they reach that age, the way I see it, the law is there to protect young children/teenagers.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,365 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,881 rep

They have no choice unless they want to undermine the law.

really? when has that happened?

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

The repercussions of unprotected sex with a 22 year old are basically the same repercussions of unprotected sex with a 16 year old.

The 22-year-old most likely understands that. The 16-year-old may not grasp the concept until they've got a raging case of herpes.

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 12,701 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,644 rep

Ah, this is such a huge soap box issue of mine. I think sex ed should be taught, at least once a week, from the age of 12 right through to 16. The UK has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the world and I think it's just a product of lack of education.

once a week for four years, you learn about sex. There'd be nothing left to learn after a month.

Johnny.

Johnny.
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Joined Jan 11, 2012
  • 301 rep
I think it'd be awful for teachers to be allowed to sleep with students, the moment they can the dynamics would change and so would teaching, it would have too big an impact, not to mention it would mean parents would feel very differently about their child going to school at the age of consent.
I'm actually one for raising the age of consent. The fun of sex is drastically outweighed by it's consequences when you're an early/mid teen. 14 is ridiculous in Canada, that should definitely be raised.

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,547 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,669 rep
For me personally: fuck ages of consent. I'll have sex with whoever the fuck I want. I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 23. We love each other to pieces and there shouldn't be anyone telling me I can't be with and sleep with someone I love.
On that note, in general I think nonconsent should be considered full on rape regardless of age.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

On that note, in general I think nonconsent should be considered full on rape regardless of age.

It's not already? Last time I checked, nonconsensual sex = rape.

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

• 18,547 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,669 rep

It's not already? Last time I checked, nonconsensual sex = rape.

I mean in terms of statutory rape vs rape vs child molestation, etc. either way the person who commits the crime will (hopefully) be persecuted, so why not just hae one name for all of it?
Also, in terms of the pedophilia thing on the last page, I think consent is nonexistent under age 13. Seriously, no 11 year old should be having sex anyway.

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • GDC Union Red

• 10,113 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,072 rep
Seeing as all of this is pretty much personal matters it should be left in the hands of the persons involved. So no, law should not be incorperated in anyhow or form. You older people wanting to sleep with significantly underage people, realize that if taking advantage is your goal, then rape can essentially be questionable if the other person gains the courage to bring it forth. Significantly underage people should also realize the situation and merit their decisions off of it. Will you be swept off your feat and get married yadda yadda, more than likely NO. For those who actually have a legitimate relationship going will more than likely have the same view/goal/perception in mind. Education is key. These are personal matters and the law should not be ingrained to such specific standards. It's called logic, lets use it.
  • Tre's Busted Drumkit likes this

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

It's called logic, lets use it.

Goddammit Bobo, what the fuck?
  • fukingcounterstrike, Floyd Pinkerton and Céadóg like this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

• 18,547 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,669 rep
I find it mildly disturbing how, in 'Murica, some states' ages of consent are 14, and some are 16; but at the same time you have to be 18 to be considered an "adult", but 21 to have a fucking beer and 25 to rent a car. America really needs to get its shit together. :lol:

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • GDC Union Red

• 10,113 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,072 rep

Goddammit Bobo, what the fuck?

Is that illogical that I said people should use logic? :P

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

• 18,547 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,669 rep

Is that illogical that I said people should use logic? :P/>

Just a bit strange, coming from you :P

Advertising

missminority182

missminority182
  • You Can't Kill the Me in You

• 8,323 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,749 rep
Since Consent age is 16 where i live.... but if a student were to have sex with a teacher it would be up'd to 19 and graduated. but i mean if it was a -16-17-18 year old with a no older than 24 years of age. i see no problem with this.... b/c both parties are at age where they can make their own decisions with their lives. but, then the exception would if you like 23-24 and under 16 then i see theres a problem depending on the situation.. but people mature at different rates. i mean once you hit at least high school, i think you'd be at the age to almost make some decisions of your own. i mean if you were 25 hitting on a 9 - 10 year old. thats just pedophillia.... that's just my opinion

I find it mildly disturbing how, in 'Murica, some states' ages of consent are 14, and some are 16; but at the same time you have to be 18 to be considered an "adult", but 21 to have a fucking beer and 25 to rent a car. America really needs to get its shit together. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

where i live in America its 16 for sex in general 19 for sex with former teachers,doctors, etc. 18 with id for cigarettes (to purchase) 16 to drive with permit 17 with junior license 21 for alcohol.

gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007
  • 550 rep

First off: Is it right that homosexual consent ages are different (often higher) than heterosexual consent ages?

Definitely not. Age of consent should be age of consent, regardless of your sexuality.

Should the USA be made to unify it's laws?

I feel this way about a lot of things, actually. Unfortunately, that brings up the issue of States' Rights, which is an entirely separate debate that I won't get into here.

Is it fair that a teacher of say, 23, can't be in a relationship with a consenting 18 year old sixth form student?

Teachers having sex with their students is unethical, period. Regardless of whether they're of consenting age or not. Now, if the student is from a completely different school, then that is fine. A normal relationship between consenting adults.

I'm going to be unpopular for this, but I think it should be standardized somewhat. If you're 18 or 19, it's within two years of your own age (i.e., an 18-year-old can legally have sex with a 16-year-old and vice versa). If you're 20 or over, 18 should be the age of consent. Logic being there's usually not a colossal difference between 18 and 16 or 19 and 17, but there's a huge difference maturity-wise (you'd hope) between 20 and 16.

I'm not opposed to an 18-year-old high school student having sex with a teacher, even being in a relationship with a teacher on moral grounds. On professional grounds, however, I am strongly against it. It would be a distraction for other students and teachers, and could result in questions about academic integrity if the student was in a class taught by a friend of the teacher they're sleeping with; I'd hope school officials were smart enough to not put the student in their sex partner's class. The second graduation ends, student and teacher can fuck in the aisle of the auditorium for all I care. I just don't think they should until the hats are thrown.

Actually, funny you should mention this: There is a clause in statutory rape law that allows a 4-year cushion in either direction. This means an 18 year old can be with a 14 year old without consequence, but not a 12 or 13 year old. Likewise, a 17 year old can be with someone up to 21 years of age, despite being a minor. So the current laws are even more generous than you! Funny how the OP just conveniently forgot to mention that. :P

So, yes, while you do still get some hysterical parents pressing charges over their babies being "violated", any decent, sensible judge will throw the case out if the relationship is clearly consensual, provided it fits within the 4-year age gap.

Ah, this is such a huge soap box issue of mine. I think sex ed should be taught, at least once a week, from the age of 12 right through to 16. The UK has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the world and I think it's just a product of lack of education.

Here, we get taught sex ed from 11 straight on through to 18. People still have sex underage and teenagers still get pregnant. Education is important and does help, but it's not a magical stopgap either. To say that it's "just a product of lack of education" is simplifying the issue way too much.

Also, in terms of the pedophilia thing on the last page, I think consent is nonexistent under age 13. Seriously, no 11 year old should be having sex anyway.

SO, basically, you think the age of consent should be 13.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,365 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,881 rep

They have no choice unless they want to undermine the law.

Actually, funny you should mention this: There is a clause in statutory rape law that allows a 4-year cushion in either direction. This means an 18 year old can be with a 14 year old without consequence, but not a 12 or 13 year old. Likewise, a 17 year old can be with someone up to 21 years of age, despite being a minor. So the current laws are even more generous than you! Funny how the OP just conveniently forgot to mention that. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

So, yes, while you do still get some hysterical parents pressing charges over their babies being "violated", any decent, sensible judge will throw the case out if the relationship is clearly consensual, provided it fits within the 4-year age gap.

oh, there you go

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,215 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,276 rep

Can someone tell me what the actual age of consent in Ireland actually is? I know in Northern Ireland it is 16 but i think it is 17 here. A friend, on her 16th birthday, started claiming to everyone she was now 'legal' but her and i got on this long-ass debate over what the age of consent here is. Everyone else here seems to think it is 16 too, but why don't i believe them?

Yup, it's 17, which is one of the highest in Europe, and pretty ridiculous.

I'm of the opinion that 15 is a good age of consent. 16 is also pretty fair.

My girlfriend is 15, and she lives in England. Her parents would be okay with a sexual relationship between us, but we've chosen to wait until she turns 16. The fact that we're willing to wait should prove that we're mature enough as a couple, but anyway, Hope is incredibly mature for a 15 year old.

Just my two cents.

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • GDC Union Red

• 10,113 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,072 rep

My girlfriend is 15, and she lives in England. Her parents would be okay with a sexual relationship between us, but we've chosen to wait until she turns 16. The fact that we're willing to wait should prove that we're mature enough as a couple, but anyway, Hope is incredibly mature for a 15 year old.

Just my two cents.

Not attacking you personally with this or anything but everytime I hear someone say that someone younger is incredibly mature for their age just makes me feel like there already needs to be justification for (for lack of a better word currently) the union-ship. It seems to be the go to answer and I never hear "naw she'he's like any 16/17 year old but something about him/her I just really like. I have fun with them and am able to relate with them"

Just ranting now i guess :P

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep

Just my two cents.

So it is 17. :dance: Why does that sound really high? It definitely didn't stop any of the people who were in my secondary school year. :creep: Fifteen as an age of consent sounds young to me but then again, unless i am being misinformed, it is the average age of first inter-ma-course, so no big difference. And i was told by a German friend that in Germany, it's 14 but you can only go with someone under 16 or something like that. Until the age of 17 or 18 or something the age gap can only be about 2 years. That sounds reasonable, allow kids who are at the stage where they are able to make some adult decisions for themselves (well, for the most part - i find maturity levels differ greatly at that age) but make sure they can't go with anyone considerably older so they are not taken advantage of or be exploited cos they're more vulnerable. But an age gap of 2 years defo does seem a bit restrictive. Don't think i'd label a 17-year-old who wants to have sex with a 14-year-old an ephebophile or anything. 'Twould be kinda fucked. So long as its not, like, someone who is nearly 30 and a 14 year old.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 17,997 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,619 rep

once a week for four years, you learn about sex. There'd be nothing left to learn after a month.

That is definitely not true.

I'm not just talking about sex, what about relationships, ethics involved, economics regarding consequences, sexual health, LGBTQ etc. Far more too it than you think.

oh, there you go

Different country.

Judge's can't pick and choose when they want a law to be enforced. They, with a jury, can weigh up evidence and decide what verdict may be come to, if any, they can't solely make the decision on whether they feel if a case matches with their stand point.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,215 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,276 rep

Not attacking you personally with this or anything but everytime I hear someone say that someone younger is incredibly mature for their age just makes me feel like there already needs to be justification for (for lack of a better word currently) the union-ship. It seems to be the go to answer and I never hear "naw she'he's like any 16/17 year old but something about him/her I just really like. I have fun with them and am able to relate with them"

Just ranting now i guess http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. In fact thats why I hardly ever cite the maturity thing, it seems like a cop out answer sometimes. I only mentioned it because it was relevant to the discussion. Hope gets me better than anyone I've ever met, and if I could I wouldn't spend time with anyone but her.

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • GDC Union Red

• 10,113 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,072 rep

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. In fact thats why I hardly ever cite the maturity thing, it seems like a cop out answer sometimes. I only mentioned it because it was relevant to the discussion. Hope gets me better than anyone I've ever met, and if I could I wouldn't spend time with anyone but her.

Glad you have her :)

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,215 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,276 rep

Glad you have her http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Me too man, me too. Anyway, back on topic :P

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,722 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,766 rep
wouldn't this system work?
18: you can have sex with anyone of any sex.
16: you can have sex with anyone, but not if the age of the partner exceeds 25.

I don't see why this is difficult if there is a limit to the age difference to stop 20 year olds to come on to teens. The age limit in Norway is 16, then you can have your way with anyone, that leaves room for a good deal of sketchy business on the internet.
There is also the issue of lying about your age online. A girl who might want to experiment can easily make any man who is desperate enough to have sex with her, and all of a sudden he has done a felony without knowing about it.
  • Céadóg likes this

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep
And about the actual questions asked in the opening post: is it right that the age of consent for sex between people of the same sex is often higher than for het sex? Ha ha, is there anyone on this forum that actually thinks it is? But what i'm interested to know is, why is it often higher? Do people think people have to be older to 'decide' if they are gay? Because a younger person wouldn't be able to make a 'choice' like that? Is sex between people of the same sex more dangerous than het sex somehow? This difference baffles me. The existence of this law defies all logic if you ask me. Or it is at least just really unneccessary.
And as for teacher/students relationships, no. Defo not. Nothing to do with age gaps. Nothing to do with imbalance of power (there doesn't have to be one if the relationship is treated right by both parties involved). But it is unethical and unprofessional. If the teacher/student were from another school, fine.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,241 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,291 rep
I've actually never been with anyone who was a minor at the time, all my sexual partners were 18 or over when it happened. Though my first time with a guy I was 16 and he was 18, and he was two grade levels ahead of me. Chances are I'd never have sex with an underage person (just based on the sheer lack of probability I'd ever meet and be interested in an underage person at this point in my life), but I still think, I've never heard of any country or state's age of consent law I thought was unreasonably low; usually they are unreasonably high.

wouldn't this system work?
18: you can have sex with anyone of any sex.
16: you can have sex with anyone, but not if the age of the partner exceeds 25.

I agree with the idea though I would say 16 year olds can give consent in any case, I laid out what I thought was ideal earlier in the thread.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,722 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,766 rep

I've actually never been with anyone who was a minor at the time, all my sexual partners were 18 or over when it happened. Though my first time with a guy I was 16 and he was 18, and he was two grade levels ahead of me. Chances are I'd never have sex with an underage person (just based on the sheer lack of probability I'd ever meet and be interested in an underage person at this point in my life), but I still think, I've never heard of any country or state's age of consent law I thought was unreasonably low; usually they are unreasonably high.

I agree with the idea though I would say 16 year olds can give consent in any case, I laid out what I thought was ideal earlier in the thread.

I'm not sorry I didn't read all of the big text blocks, I just put my opinion out there.
Spoiler

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,789 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,537 rep
16 seems about right.

Or make the half age +7 thing a legally binding thing. That'd probably work quite nicely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate, GDC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users