Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Woman Dies After Abortion Request Is "Refused" At Galway Hospital

News Debate

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,216 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,251 rep

It's my opinion, and it's not a totally ridiculous one. So I'll keep it, thanks.

"Father's abortion challenge hearing docket #4522961, order the in the court. Jim, you claim you are in a long term and serious relationship with Lizzie and therefore she should have to keep your child so you can raise it, can you substantiate these claims?"

"Yes, your honor, I changed my Facebook status to 'in a relationship with Lizzie' 3 months ago, additionally, I gave her a ring."
"Lizzie, what do you say?"
"We fucked once, the Facebook status change was an inside joke, and the ring was $20 from the home shopping network, we aren't serious."

And then the lawyer cites prior case law where a man who spent $300 in 8 months on his girlfriend and once took a weekend trip with her was denied an abortion intervention, so the judge dismisses the case, until a guy named Bob comes in the court and claims he also fucked Lizzie and petitions for an emergency abortion intervention in case the fetus is his.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,054 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,915 rep

"Father's abortion challenge hearing docket #4522961, order the in the court. Jim, you claim you are in a long term and serious relationship with Lizzie and therefore she should have to keep your child so you can raise it, can you substantiate these claims?"

"Yes, your honor, I changed my Facebook status to 'in a relationship with Lizzie' 3 months ago, additionally, I gave her a ring."
"Lizzie, what do you say?"
"We fucked once, the Facebook status change was an inside joke, and the ring was $20 from the home shopping network, we aren't serious."

And then the lawyer cites prior case law where a man who spent $300 in 8 months on his girlfriend and once took a weekend trip with her was denied an abortion intervention, so the judge dismisses the case, until a guy named Bob comes in the court and claims he also fucked Lizzie and petitions for an emergency abortion intervention in case the fetus is his.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

Like I said before, it'd be very difficult to legislate on it. Ethically it's the right thing.

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,216 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,251 rep
You have misguided ethical views you wish to legislate in spite of the massively disproportionate impact on people who actually get pregnant who will be extraordinarily more affected than you, even while insisting you care about making exceptions for rape victims who you clearly couldn't care less about because if you did you wouldn't push the morally reprehensible stance that rape victims should be accountable for proving they were raped. Congratulations, you might be "pro-life."

What exactly separates you from the politicians who let this woman die because of their beliefs? I fail to see how your stance is any different.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,054 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,915 rep

You have misguided ethical views you wish to legislate in spite of the massively disproportionate impact on people who actually get pregnant who will be extraordinarily more affected than you, even while insisting you care about making exceptions for rape victims who you clearly couldn't care less about because if you did you wouldn't push the morally reprehensible stance that rape victims should be accountable for proving they were raped. Congratulations, you might be "pro-life."

What exactly separates you from the politicians who let this woman die because of their beliefs? I fail to see how your stance is any different.

That was an impressively long sentence, I must say.

When did I say anything about accounting for proof of rape? You just plucked that straight out of thin air.

All I said was that if a guy is emotionally invested, he SHOULD get a say. This is all theoretical. If the world was a perfect place, it would work. But it's not, I recognise that. Mine is a moral stance, not a legislational stance.

Chill out dude. Don't put words in my mouth.
  • musso_kn likes this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,216 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,251 rep

That was an impressively long sentence, I must say.

When did I say anything about accounting for proof of rape? You just plucked that straight out of thin air.

As a guy, if a girl gets pregnant and he's emotionally involved with her, as in a committed relationship, then he should definitely get a say.
One night stand/rape fuck him, it's the woman's choice.

If you were going to distinguish based on the mother's circumstances then that is exactly what it amounts to.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,054 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,915 rep

If you were going to distinguish based on the mother's circumstances then that is exactly what it amounts to.

That really wasn't what I was trying to say. But anyway, moral view. Legislationally I agree with you.

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,979 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,700 rep
The woman wouldn't even be pregnant if she didn't haveintercourse with a man. That is why I think they should talk about the situation of if she gets pregnant before having intercourse.

I never really understood one night stands, anyway. Of course people can do whatever they want, but from my point of view, you can still have a good time without having intercourse (especially for girls who can't orgasm from intercourse).
of course you're not going to mention getting pregnant on a one night stand; that would kill the mood.

but for the people who wait until they're in a relationship with someone, they should at least know their views on abortion.

In my opinion, I think it's the guy's fault for not bringing it up. if he doesn't bring it up, he shouldn't get any say at all.
but if he brings it up and the girl lies, well, there's still nothing that can be done legally.
what are you gonna do? make people sign contracts before having intercourse saying that they both think abortion is wrong and if the woman gets an abortion she gets legally punished for it?

so, guys, if you would not want a woman aborting your baby, get with a girl who has the same views as you, and wait until you can trust her before having intercourse
(of course, from a stereotypical standpoint, guys are usually the ones that want the sex more and don't want to wait long for it, so it's sort of stupid if they rush into it before knowing the woman's views and then say they want to keep the baby)

I agree wth Céadóg. It's morally wrong to me, but it would be unfair to make it a legal thing, because it's hard to prove and people can lie.
  • Céadóg likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,531 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,375 rep

The woman wouldn't even be pregnant if she didn't haveintercourse with a man. That is why I think they should talk about the situation of if she gets pregnant before having intercourse.
I never really understood one night stands, anyway. Of course people can do whatever they want, but from my point of view, you can still have a good time without having intercourse (especially for girls who can't orgasm from intercourse).
of course you're not going to mention getting pregnant on a one night stand; that would kill the mood.
but for the people who wait until they're in a relationship with someone, they should at least know their views on abortion.
In my opinion, I think it's the guy's fault for not bringing it up. if he doesn't bring it up, he shouldn't get any say at all.
but if he brings it up and the girl lies, well, there's still nothing that can be done legally.
what are you gonna do? make people sign contracts before having intercourse saying that they both think abortion is wrong and if the woman gets an abortion she gets legally punished for it?
so, guys, if you would not want a woman aborting your baby, get with a girl who has the same views as you, and wait until you can trust her before having intercourse
(of course, from a stereotypical standpoint, guys are usually the ones that want the sex more and don't want to wait long for it, so it's sort of stupid if they rush into it before knowing the woman's views and then say they want to keep the baby)
I agree wth Céadóg. It's morally wrong to me, but it would be unfair to make it a legal thing, because it's hard to prove and people can lie.

Are you talking about Savita Halappanavar when you refer to "the woman" in this post? This woman who you seem to have clear regard for has died due to completely preventable circumstances in a so called modern, developed country. She was married to her husband Praveen and they were going to have their first child together. I'm assuming it was very much planned and they were as happy as could be until this fiasco came about.

If you are talking about women in general, how awkward and problematic would it be to discuss pregnancy every time you decided to have sex? Yes there's no form of contraception that is 100% effective and there's always a slight risk, but to see sex as a risky thing rather than something wonderful and pleasurable is to taint the entire experience. Of course you're not going to have an orgasm if you worry about the possibility of pregnancy the entire time!

And of course there should be legislation on this issue. The legal grey area that exists in Irish law at the moment is the very reason this woman is dead!

Anyway, there was a march for Savita and for action on the abortion issue in Dublin tonight, as well as vigils in towns and cities across Ireland and the world. Over 10,000 people came to the march tonight, incredible turnout and atmosphere.

Here are some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Lady_Rufus and Céadóg like this

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,979 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,700 rep

Are you talking about Savita Halappanavar when you refer to "the woman" in this post? This woman who you seem to have clear regard for has died due to completely preventable circumstances in a so called modern, developed country. She was married to her husband Praveen and they were going to have their first child together. I'm assuming it was very much planned and they were as happy as could be until this fiasco came about.

If you are talking about women in general, how awkward and problematic would it be to discuss pregnancy every time you decided to have sex? Yes there's no form of contraception that is 100% effective and there's always a slight risk, but to see sex as a risky thing rather than something wonderful and pleasurable is to taint the entire experience. Of course you're not going to have an orgasm if you worry about the possibility of pregnancy the entire time!

No, I wasn't talking about this woman, I was referring to the posts exchanged by John and Céadóg.

Not every time you had sex. I'm saying if you're in a relationship with someone, you should talk about both of your views on abortion, because if the guy isn't comfortable with you getting an abortion if you get pregnant with his child (despite it being an accident), he should have the right to know if you don't care what he says and would get an abortion anyway, so he could decide whether or not he wants to stay in that relationship.

I'm saying that's what people should do, not what they legally have to do.
  • Céadóg likes this

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep
Earlier on this thread i said that most of Youth Defence's supporters online are not even Irish. Finally managed to find the link where i read that, for anyone who cares: http://geoffsshorts....-followers.html (thanks, YUFF Defence).

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,531 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,375 rep

Earlier on this thread i said that most of Youth Defence's supporters online are not even Irish. Finally managed to find the link where i read that, for anyone who cares: http://geoffsshorts....-followers.html (thanks, YUFF Defence).

I love the youth defence parodies!

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep

I love the youth defence parodies!

Those bloody gaybortionistas, teaching evolution in our god-fearing protestant schools. We can't let them win. Pray, people, pray! :shy:
What i thought was the most hilarious moment for the page was when a Youth Defence facebooker came across the page, linked it on their page and said someone should report it to the facebook police.
Facebook police. :blink:
Mwuhahahaha. :woot:

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,311 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,856 rep
Posted Image

Posted Image

good on you, dublin.
  • .Holly, November's Storms, Vesper and 1 other like this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,531 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,375 rep
Our Minister for Health James Reilly can't even pronounce Savita's full name. Sadly I think that shows a lot about how much he really cares about this situation and legislating for abortion.
  • Céadóg likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users