Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Is Green Day losing popularity?

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,120 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,574 rep

the sterile 'rock' produced by Arctic Monkeys and their ilk however

side eyeing you so hard right now

• Not Anyone. and Oxymore like this

Shondells

Shondells
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2014
  • 17 rep

side eyeing you so hard right now

I like some of AM's early stuff, but I don't think the more recent songs I've personally heard are massively/wildly/outrageously good/different - so my point wasn't 'I think AM suck' but 'Radio 1 could've given Trilogy singles some support considering that point'.

Edited by Shondells, 13 May 2014 - 03:13 AM.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,120 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,574 rep

I like some of AM's early stuff, but I don't think the more recent songs I've personally heard are massively/wildly/outrageously good/different - so my point wasn't 'I think AM suck' but 'Radio 1 could've given Trilogy singles some support considering that point'.

lol ok

Drain Bramaged

Drain Bramaged
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2013
  • 26 rep

Two things:

1) Music is far from dead. Unless you only listen to the radio. There are loads of 'real' rock bands out there today who are putting out great records and doing great live shows.

2) Green Day have gotten to the point in their career where they've made enough money that they'll never need to put out another really successful album again, instead they can have fun doing smaller shows and more experimental records. And who gives a shit how many views some dumbs YouTube video gets? As long as they're putting out quality albums and can still perform, I'll stay a fan.

• Ham Sascale, luv and nothing_wrong_with_me like this

SfarrInsomniac

SfarrInsomniac
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined Jun 04, 2014
  • 28 rep
I don't think they've gotten to a point in their career that they need to stop making successful albums their motivation for making albums has never been about whether it's going to be successful or not it's always been about reinventing themselves and what it means to be punk. Green Day has never written songs in the hope that they'd be successful they just say what they believe and unlike other artists they don't like to stay in one place so if you like dookie you might not like American Idiot, if you like ¡Dos! you might not like nimrod. Although Green Day care about their fans they never cared if they were popular or not.
sorry that was a little long

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 382 rep
Do not turn that into one of those horrendous "music is dead" discussions. There's always been great music and always will be.
I personally like old stuff very much and it annoys me how some of those people who dig that stuff, even if they are quite young think something like that rock music, or music in general, is dead. It is not. And that attitude is sad.
If it doesn't get played on radio doesn't mean it can't be great. There has been countless number of awesome band who never were very popular.

People who say that music is dead are either too lazy to discover new music they dig, or too narrow-minded to like anything outside of their safety zone. Period

Amd when it comes to Green Days popularity, they still fill stations? Personally I dont care that much aboug their popularity though. But I can see how trilogy alienated some more casual fans maybe. On the other hand, many younger people who were like twelve back then became their fans because of trilogy, but I guess some of them have already moved to another band :P never mind.
  • SfarrInsomniac likes this

TommyGun

TommyGun
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 64 rep

there've always been some heights and lows and right now, we are already waiting for a new height to come though i wouldn't consider this era as a low point

Asbury Park

Asbury Park
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Joined Mar 13, 2011
  • 809 rep

They're definitely losing popularity. Slowly but surely. That doesn't really mean much though, just because they aren't as popular as they used to be doesn't mean you have to stop listening to them or something :lol:

It still plays the sterile 'rock' produced by Arctic Monkeys and their ilk however - but that is probably because a band like that is more 'current' in the UK public's conscious?

Fite me irl :mad: :P

SfarrInsomniac

SfarrInsomniac
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined Jun 04, 2014
  • 28 rep
Who the fuck cares if Green Day is losing popularity they never gave a shit about how popular they were I love them I don't care if everybody else hates them they're my heroes solely because they make amazing music without caring about their success or popularity
  • LordOfKuxany likes this

GugsGreenDay

GugsGreenDay
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2014
  • 64 rep

Who the fuck cares if Green Day is losing popularity they never gave a shit about how popular they were I love them I don't care if everybody else hates them they're my heroes solely because they make amazing music without caring about their success or popularity

Yes bro!! I liked the enthusiasm :D

• SfarrInsomniac likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Only enough to control you.

• 11,596 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,525 rep

there've always been some heights and lows and right now, we are already waiting for a new height to come though i wouldn't consider this era as a low point

Really? If abysmal sales, Billie's rehab, a cancelled tour and now Britt's cancer don't make a low point, what does? I mean, I know they clawed it back with Brixton, Reading and Leeds, but on the whole it hasn't exactly been a fun couple of years to be a fan.

luv

luv
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Joined Feb 10, 2013
  • 509 rep
I pretty much am an optimist & GD did survive this era & I am amazed at the tour billie pulled off considering where it started. We can only think positive thoughts for Britt - so if they can survive this last hurdle - the fans have nothing to worry about.

SfarrInsomniac

SfarrInsomniac
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined Jun 04, 2014
  • 28 rep
I hate those fake Green Day fans who loved Green Day up until the trilogy, you don't stop loving someone just because they made an unpopular decision do you? Just because you don't like their new album you decided they suck? Well maybe I decided that I will poison you while you sleep. >:(
I used the wrong emoticon for that

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Only enough to control you.

• 11,596 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,525 rep

I hate those fake Green Day fans who loved Green Day up until the trilogy, you don't stop loving someone just because they made an unpopular decision do you? Just because you don't like their new album you decided they suck? Well maybe I decided that I will poison you while you sleep. > :(
I used the wrong emoticon for that

I don't think it's fair to call such people fake fans though. People's tastes change, and a string of albums they don't like can be off-putting. I'm not what you'd call a fan of the Trilogy but they're still my favourite band ever, but at the same time I can totally see why people might lose interest, especially if this hypothetical person was a fan of the old stuff and not too keen on AI or Breakdown, and then disappointed by the Trilogy.

TommyGun

TommyGun
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 64 rep

Really? If abysmal sales, Billie's rehab, a cancelled tour and now Britt's cancer don't make a low point, what does? I mean, I know they clawed it back with Brixton, Reading and Leeds, but on the whole it hasn't exactly been a fun couple of years to be a fan.

you're probably right but let us consider for instance that billie is sober now and that is a reason to celebrate

but what i hate about the trilogy era is the short range of the tour, which was of course caused by rehab but i had no chace to see them last year as many others

• luv likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users