Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would love it if they lost popularity because I honestly believe they would continue making music just because of their love for it then it would just be them playing to me in a room and I see no problem with that...in fact, I highly encourage it

practice practice practice

"school is practice. Practice makes perfect, but if nobody is perfect, why practice?"

God damn I want that tattooed on the inside of my butt cheeks.

Personally I would love it if they lost popularity because I honestly believe they would continue making music just because of their love for it then it would just be them playing to me in a room and I see no problem with that...in fact, I highly encourage it

they should hibernate for a few years and make a comeback with lasers.

"school is practice. Practice makes perfect, but if nobody is perfect, why practice?"

Damn, I just want to quit everything now :mellow:

they should hibernate for a few years and make a comeback with lasers.

This is the complete opposite of what I want to happen.

In all seriousness though, I'm amazed at how long they have managed to consistently put out well above average/amazing music.

Damn, I just want to quit everything now :mellow:

do it man. just drop it all because you'll never be anything or do anything significant except drying man sauce out of your belly button.

our deity, Armstrong has spoken.

They are at a low.A low for them.still one of the biggest names in rock roll...every band has ups and downs.i remember when I was the only person who cared about them still then ai came out then suddenly they were popular again. Having the broadway musical going is gonna keep the name even more strong.they will wait a couple years then make an amazing album then suddenly they will be huge again....they will be around forever...I

Face it. Musics fucking dead GD is one of the very few real rockbands out there in the music scene today.

I don't agree with this. If you think music is dead then you mist be looking in the wrong places. If anything, Green Day is one of the more less-interesting rock bands at the moment.

No, I don't think they're losing popularity. I mean, where I live, no one has ever really talked about them, but their concerts are always packed and people still listen to their music (obviously, users on this site).

Well, they lost a bit of it. But, they lost lot of popularity during Warning.

You only have to look at the Emiratea gig and headlining Reading and Leeds to see they're still popular, and that was with poor album sales

• 3 months later...

If you go strictly by album sells, yes. Other than Dookie and American Idiot, every album they have released has sold less than the previous album. These are US album sales. I wanted to do worldwide, but wikipedia doesn't have world sales for all the albums.

Kerplunk - 1 Million

Dookie - 10 Million (up)

Insomniac 2,150,000 (down)

Nimrod - 2,100,000 (down)

Warning - 1,200,000 (down)

American Idiot - 7,100,000 (up)

21st Century - 1,550,000 (down)

Uno - 370.000 (down)

Dos - 170,000 (down)

Tre - 130,000 (down)

They're probably one of the least relevant bands in mainstream music right now.

On the one hand, they don't get as much mainstream presence as they did in their heyday, but on the other hand, I don't think they've really become 'unpopular'. I only consider something to have lost its popularity when people no longer talk about it - forget it exists even. So for me, the day GDC is gone and the day any memory of Billie Joe Armstrong, etc. are lost to oblivion would be the warning sign that Green Day had lost it.

In terms of sells they've obviously losing popularity;

but in the same era the band made records sells at Emirates, and sell out in Milan;

not talking about other dates in these tour which I think they've sells a lot of tickets.

So I don't think they're losing popularity;

Also with this current economy situation and the increase of on-line and digital system like iTunes, I think CDs are become a collectors things only

Radio One in the UK made the decision not to play any Trilogy singles because "the songs simply aren't good enough" - music policy director Nigel Harding.

This is a radio station that plays a whole lot, albeit mostly 'fresh' or 'quirky', of different genres of music, so that goes some way to displaying what a major bummer that is to both GD and Warners. It still plays the sterile 'rock' produced by Arctic Monkeys and their ilk however - but that is probably because a band like that is more 'current' in the UK public's conscious?

That said, I've noticed a hell of a lot of young/teenage fans at several of the UK gigs in the recent past - I think that is a direct coloration of both AI and their parents' influence maybe (listening in the car/at home/whatever)? What the band need is for those kids to be curious enough to go by Kerplunk or Insomniac while they await the next new offering.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a regret that they won't see GD play small venues anymore - I think we will and the true fans will lap it up, while the band will still make money. They are already set for life (if they've been careful) so hopefully it'll mean they'll still make music moving forwards at least :-)

Popularity is a funny word - in GD's case, they will ALWAYS have a hardcore group of worldwide fans and, at the stage of their career they are at now, that'll be enough to sustain their future, should another Dookie or AI fail to materialise.

I don't think they are really "losing " popularity, in my eyes it is just the fact that people outside a band's fanbase forget about the band if there is nothing in the media and nothing new released in some years. It is probably the same with green day, tons of people don't know about the trilogy, even though the publicity in amade for the trology wasn't bad, it totally stopped after the I heard radio festival so for non fans it was like nothing new has been released since 21st century breakdown.

Green day has just to put out a decent new album in the next years with enough publicity and then the'll be more popular then

It still plays the sterile 'rock' produced by Arctic Monkeys and their ilk however - but that is probably because a band like that is more 'current' in the UK public's conscious?

also AM >>>>>>>>>>>>> the trilogy

Man no losing popularity, but some fans fashion the american idiot left the band... Who cared the idiots, we and still love the band!! xx :)

Maybe on album sales, because of piracy'n shit, but look at those massive crowds at Reading and RaR!

And if so?
I don't care, they will always be my favorite band.

definitely in sales... but there still will be the idiot fanbase. so really not as not popular as one may think.

Even if they don't have any big albums or singles now, everyone knows who Green Day is. They'll never fade away.

Archived