Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

Just midlife crisis.. But i think this quietness is hurting them, but Billies life is more important than money so i totally get it.

I miss Green Day. Feels weird not seeing them everywhere.. O_o

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they are. It's inevitable. A band loses popularity once the "new" wears off. As in, when a new album comes out and it's being properly promoted, it's everywhere. On posters, in shops, on the radio, music videos on tv and of course the concerts. But after that they sort of go to the background and new new music is being played everywhere. I still don't understand what defines "popular" music. Personally I don't like it at all, but apparently I like it because sometimes a Green Day album gets a lot of attention and is therefore popular? People forget I actually like the band, not one song. (Hence everyone saying to me "It's 2009, why are you still listening to that Green Day American Idiot band?") I'm not thinking about that much, it's not giving me answers anyway.

In short: I couldn't care less. I listen to Green Day because I just love listening to their records and other things they're involved in. Thanks to them and the internet I found "my" music, the music I love to listen to. Do you see a band like the Replacements on posters everywhere and on MTV? No. Do I care? No! :D The music is still there, that's all that matters to me. As for Green Day, they have a pretty solid fanbase or whatever you name it. I don't think that'll change anytime soon. As long as they have fun making new music it's all good.

I'm just gonna do this. Many people says that rock is dead, that music is dead and that GD is one of the last bands in the world to do this shit properly.

I'm gonna prove you wrong by listing some of the bands still active: All time low, MCR, Alkaline Trio, Foo Fighters, Anti Flag, Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, Billy Talent, blink and sum, the kooks, muse, nickelback (fuck you haters), the offspring, paramore, rise against, the used.

The list goes on, but I think I've made my point. All of these bands are making new or had a new album a while ago, thus proving rock is still going strong for those who wants it. Green Day wanted to make 3 albums, and some fans like it and some don't, but I can't care if someone stops liking them, that's just one less person I have to knock over on my way to the moshpit.

Green Day already were in this situation, look at Insomniac, people wanted to have a Dookie II but a lot of people were dissapointed with Insomniac. It didn't sell as much as Dookie.

They lost some fans.

I don't care if they are losing popularity, I don't care if they make the most crappiest songs in the world, I'll always stick with them till the end and carry on their legacy with my music.

If they got 20000000 fans or 50 fans I don't care as long as they make good music and they keep playing.

They are the best band ever and A LOT OF people are really missing something and I feel so lucky to be a fan and to daily can't get rid of listening to them.

Green Day are definitely not losing popularity.

And even if they were, they'd still be a mainstream rock band. I wouldn't worry too much.

I personally am a fan of a band whose band members live at 4 in a two-rooms apartment, another one whose singer doesn't have central heating and skip a meal a day or have to walk to the studio kilometers away. And they're making the front cover or Kerrang! and Rock sound.

Green Day are an incredibly rich and popular band and that will mostly never change, don't worry. They've marked the culture too much to fade away.

They never really cared what people thought of them before, why start now?

Oh, that's bullshit! Of course they care. They put a lot of work in to their music. It's personal. Everybody cares about what other people think of them. If he'she says they don't then they are lying.

Oh, that's bullshit! Of course they care. They put a lot of work in to their music. It's personal. Everybody cares about what other people think of them. If he'she says they don't then they are lying.

Well I think they only people they care about actually liking the album is themselves(: they make music because its what they love to do; it's not about worrying if other people will like it or not..or at least that is what I have interpreted :P

Well I think they only people they care about actually liking the album is themselves(: they make music because its what they love to do; it's not about worrying if other people will like it or not..or at least that is what I have interpreted :P

Ah c'mon, they said themselves how much work they put into these Albums, Mike even said that he had the same feeling as when they made Dookie and American Idiot. No feeling human being on earth wouldn't be kind of disappointed - Even if they claim to only create music for themselves - then why put it on a record? Because you want people to hear it.

Ah c'mon, they said themselves how much work they put into these Albums, Mike even said that he had the same feeling as when they made Dookie and American Idiot. No feeling human being on earth wouldn't be kind of disappointed - Even if they claim to only create music for themselves - then why put it on a record? Because you want people to hear it.

True true..not gonna deny any of that xD but I don't think it's their main focus..but it definitely plays a part!

Meh, sure they're for sure not GAINING any popularity in comparison to losing it. But hey, I could care less if the world did or didn't like Green Day. I still like Green Day, and that's all that matters to me.

All I know about Green Day's popularity is what I experienced of it when AI came out; I was in the sixth grade when I really started getting into them, and I got into them because other kids at school watched their videos on the computers and they were on MTV and TRL and such, on the covers of magazines (the teeny-bopper ones, OMG) and to me, that meant they were pretty popular, at least to the teen crowd. Now I just don't see much about Green Day in the media, and none if the people I know really care about them. So I would say yes, they have been losing popularity, but I truly believe that I and countless other Green Day fans will listen to them and "grow old with them," as Billie Joe said in the Cuatro clip. My parents still listen to the music they loved when they were my age.

So yes, I feel they are losing popularity, but they're not done making music. And when they are done making music, then the next generations will consume the newer, more popular music, like always happens. It's a cycle that happens to every musician/band, and Green Day is not exempt from it.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is they arent "mainstream" enough. I love them to death but in order to apeal to a newer and younger fan base they have to make changes

The sad truth is yes. Green Day is in fact losing popularity. Rock is not welcome in our generation, or so it seems to radio, and the only time I hear Green Day is on the radio at night, (10-11 pm), playing of course classics like 'When I Come Around', 'Brain Stew' (heard it last night, was freaking out LOL), or others. Now of course, like said by other people, if you were to ask someone who Green Day was, they would probably know the name. Your popularity in the music industry is all sadly based on your lyrics, beats, and charts. If you are lacking in an at least 2 of them, do not expect to be popular. Like other people have said though, it obviously doesn't matter. Hell, I would not mind NOT sharing Green Day with people. 1) Less people to argue with. 2) Not many people fighting. Believe it or not, I actually am an American Idiot fan, and I won't lie, it's a masterpiece, but I found the early stuff, and ever since then, I've been in love. I remember WMUWSE was my first song I found. I was watching music videos on my TV, and I decided to watch it. That song was my green day starter, I guess you can say. I may be in the generation of shame (as I love to call it because some of us are pretty shameful, not all, but alot of us teenagers are), an AI fan as it is described on UrbanDictionary.com, but I'm actually one of the few AI fans who still listen to them, and have not moved on. Green Day has gotten me through many nights, and terrors in my life. Suicide attempt after suicide attempt. No matter how much they complain, it does not matter, they have been there for me. (Don't lie -- you know they complain about alot, but oh, well.) Popularity used to mean who was your fanbase, but now it all matters on how you're doing in the charts, how ridiculous your lyrics is (ex. Gangnam Style, Friday [i loved Friday but it had no meaningful lyrics!]), and how hot you are (ex. Justin Bieber is noticed by his looks, he has the six pack abs, the hairflip shit [or DID anyway], and all of that). Today, you are the record label's robot. This is something Green Day will never be. Expieremental - yes. Everyone needs a new sound. Never though will be the master's puppet. Considering how much of a damn they give, and considering that Billie is going through a real life situation, that is serious, and he could have been dead, if he hadn't gotten some help, I think (just like another user said), they could give a fuck less about their popularity. All in all, their popularity is fading, yes. Will they stop making music? 2000% sure they won't. Honestly though, as long as they have their fans, does it matter, and do I care? To answer your question, no, and no. I'm sorry if anyone got lost during this, I just needed to write about this, besides I've been wanting to join GDA for a while. :P I thought I'd start by sharing about how I feel about this topic.

The problem is they arent "mainstream" enough. I love them to death but in order to apeal to a newer and younger fan base they have to make changes

They should not at ALL have to change. At least that's how I see it. besides, why be in the norm, when you can be outside the box, like they ALWAYS have been?

It's a cycle that happens to every musician/band, and Green Day is not exempt from it.

A dark dark cycle sadly.

I think GD is losing popularity because of several things-

1 Billie's rant could be a career downfall

2. too many pop songs that are auto-tuned

3. Lack of promotion for the trilogy

4 Not many loyal fans

5 More people want to listen to pop than real rock

6 people are forgetting they exist.

7 the trilogy didn't do well

Those are my reasons why the band I love is no longer popular.

Green Day is losing popularity but all bands do, and I'm okay with it. The music scene is far different than it was in 2004 or 1994, but Green Day will likely continue to exist with or without mainstream success, I mean after all that IS how they started out is it not? Worst case scenario is that Green Day ends up making albums for themselves and fans without the mainstream sales of Dookie or American Idiot. They have nothing left to prove, they are already millionaires, and they seem like the type of band where if they have fans and those fans enjoy their music they won't care how many albums they sell.

In 2004/2005, it was really "in" to like Green Day because of American Idiot, I remember at school every second guy dressing like Billie Joe or jamming hits from American Idiot on the guitar. I don't know what it was like in 1994 when Dookie came out (it was my first year at school, so I was simply too young :happy: ), but probably it was the same way. But many of the "fans" who liked them in the AI-era didn't stay, most of them maybe only liked 2, 3 songs and it just didn't last. I think GD has - like every band - a main fan-base that stays, that grows up with the band and will grow old with the band. Most of us here in this forum may be part of that group (at least I hope so). But I think it's just normal that bands are gaining and losing popularity from time to time. Every time has its music and every music has its time, I think especially American Idiot was just the right album at exactly the right time. And the triology, at least in my opinion, is also the right music at the right time, but maybe it's no music for the masses. It has a meaning for the "real" fans because I'm pretty sure that you need to know the history of this band to get the point of Uno, Dos and Tre. For others who don't care about the band so much, it's probably hard to get the real meaning of the triology. But I think that can change once the promotion for the triology starts again... and only because a band is losing popularity doesn't mean that the music gets worse, that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is because mainstream music is turning shit, with the likes of dubstep, hip hop and pop. Green Day are not part of the mainstream genres so are not played on massive radio stations or TV so it's harder for them to get as much popularity as they did with, say, American Idiot which was played everywhere.

true dat but they have gained a bit more popularity since 21st century breakdown, because friends of mine who didn't have a clue who Green Day was before, now do. And this is because of the trilogy coming out

Give them time. The band went through a horrible time with what happen to Billie. I'm not saying that Billie messed anything up i'm just saying everything happens for a reason. The band had to sit back and relax for awhile and Billie had to get better so that way they can do tours. So they can promote their albums and stuff. I do think about this a lot tho.. good thread!

I think they are. But I honestly couldn't care less. I've never based my musical taste on how popular a band is, I just like what I think has quality and is pleasant for me.

No matter what if Green Day release a CD they are going to sell thousands if not millions of CD's. They have so many fans its unreal and the fan base is going to keep growing as long as they are releasing new music which is infectious, mosh pit prooven and totally GD. This band is the shit and always will be`~it is so easy for them to produce good music. They will always be one of the most influencial and world famous bands in the history of the world. They have nothing to worry about!

Archived