Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like everyone has said, maybe to the casual listener yes. But the core fan base is still going strong and always will be.

It does not matter how popular you are today but what really does matter is what you will be remembered for.

So strange this world..

In Italy new singles from Uno! haven't been broadcasted on the radios during the Uno! launch period.. "Oh love" only occasionally.. Very rarely.. Now.. in the Dos! period.. Yesterday i listened to the radio and i found "Oh love" 3 times in 30 min… incredible!

so strange.. I think that the world of music is so irrational that you can not understand anything of why a band has success or not..

I think, at the moment, they are losing population. But just look at all the announced headline festivals. I think there population will come back:D

Sorry for bad english, I'm german^^

Nope! Green Day will always be popular... even when they are 70 years old! Damn, that's gonna be weird... seeing billie joe at 70? LOL

Yes, they are losing it. GD is my fav band, but we have to be realistic - their album sales is reaaaaaaaly bad (even worse than that), and it's because nowadays their music is not as good as Dookie/AI/21CB. They should have made one album (12/13 songs) with the best from the trilogy, and then that could have been a f**king great album.

2nd reason - Their view count on YouTube is too sad for a band of their quality, but that's also connected with the quality of their music, and it's promotion. Let's be fair - every popular acts have a tons of video views.

3rd one - Just look at their concert venues. Festivals?! I don't have nothing against them, but biggest bands should tour big stadiums all around the world. Look at the Coldplay's or U2's venues - none festivals at their schedule (with some exceptions like Glastonbury), just big (but i mean BIG) stadiums. And you can see in chosing Emirates (London) that their popularity is declining 'cause they have played at Milton Keynes and Wembley in the past. If The Killers can play Wembley, why can't GD?!! Cause of those reasons.

It's not a bad thing to say these things, but we should be aware that we cannot expect "Awesome stadium tour" around the globe. They are an awesome band, but these "trilogy thing" didn't help them to become one of the most popular acts out there.

Nevermind, I hope them all the best because they are one of the best live bands in the history of rock - and that's something to be a proud of! :D

* this "trilogy thing"

* I wish them

sry for mistakes :)

Maybe their popularity has a direct correlation with the quality of music they put out.

I personally think that the quality of the songs on the trilogy is really high but that's not everyone's opinion...

1. Who cares?

2. Even if Green Day put out the greatest album ever they would probably not sell as many records like in 1994 or 2004 people dont buy music as much as before.

I insist who cares?? this band is not about album sales ,actually its never been the point and if people in the forum or wherever really cared about the music they wouldnt give a shit or discuss about this.

They might be losing popularity ? Yes.

But what people seem to ignore it's that they probably won't get all that fuss from that AI era again cause with great work comes massive recognition

American Idiot is probably the best rock album of the modern era and it's hard to live up to that

Great bands at some point make career changing albums as AI was and people start to expect that from them

They are going to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. Don't think there is anything to worry about. I read people's comments on youtube in their videos and quite a few do not like the change saying its not the same Green Day. Your suppose to change that is how you evolve, grow up, mature, whatever you like to call it. Doing the exact same thing will not keep you going for a long time in the music industry.

I've been a Green Day fan since October 2011 so I have no idea what experiences you have been through. I think they're not doing that bad, their concept videos, Oh love and Kill the DJ has 65 000 likes and 40, 000 respectively in less than 3 months which is great compared to their other videos. I use likes as a way of determining ideal views, like 65 000 should mean 15-20 million views and 40 000 should mean 8-12 million views which is pretty normal for a Green Day. No, they're not mainstream but I think that hardly matters, they still have a very strong fan base and it's evident with the stats of their youtube videos. The Forgotten has around 20k likes already and I'm pretty sure that number is going to go up after everyone's done watching twilight. I honestly don't give a fuck how they are comparing to other artists, they're still getting nominated for awards in categories with pop stars after 18 years. They are still getting the same views, if not, more than what they used to.

I think that in the second half of 2013 Green Day will come back bigger and better and be everywhere again, thereby raising the awareness of the trilogy and putting themselves in the spotlight again. There will probably this massive surge in the sales of the trilogy and ¡Dos! or ¡Tré! or both will be nominated for Grammys and one will win in 2014. I mean honestly, even before the iHeart Radio incident the promotion for the trilogy wasn't that great. It only happened a few days before ¡Uno!'s release. Green Day will get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they'll have a lasting legacy way beyond that of the current "mainstream" artists, don't worry about that.

yes in the big scheme of things they are losing popularity. But that doesn't mean anything to me really.

For those who keep trying to determine popularity based on album sales, its impossible. With the internet allowing people to buy individual songs (not just the single) without having to buy an entire album really lowers the sales of an album. The only time an album really sells really big is when it becomes a craze. Sale of singles show this massive change from buy albums to buying single songs. The last song to be added into the highest selling (physical) singles was Boulevard of Broken Dreams in 2004 at 7 million sales and is ranked at #50 of all time, and 34 songs selling over 10 million, since 1935. When you get into Digital downloads the numbers of purchased downloads skyrockets. There have been 12 singles sell over 10 million, since 2006. So in 6 years 12 singles have sold over 10 million vs 65 years for 34 singles. That really shows the shift towards selling singles, rather then albums.

With the ease of the internet people are more likely to go home and log on and buy a song they like then spent more money and maybe get 13 or so songs they hate or don't like.

Also its the genre losing popularity not really Green Day as such. Of course Green Day lose popularity as the genre loses popularity but its not directly GD. Believe me so many people keep asking about the Green Day songs and when they are going to be released. The rasio stations don't help with this. They play the same old pop and rap songs all time. Even when people ask for something else. Example, a few weeks ago a local radio station got people to request songs on their facebook page, there were 20 requests. 5 of these request were for Green Day, not one other artist had more then one request. The radio station ended up playing 12 songs, not one of them was GD. The only other 3 that missed out were similar artists to GD. This really shows how much the radio has control over what people like.

At the moment its almost impossible to judge if they are lossing popularity or not because they are not getting the normal airtime they would if they were advertising their album. Although when it comes to the size of the fan base they are losing popularity due to the larger breaks they have between albums, where people quickly loose interest, but the real fans are growing and will always be with the band, and they have one of the greatest fan bases in the world.

I don't know if they lose popularity, but I just realized that the "Society" (som people on youtube) is enjoing Dos. I read some comments like "Best Song Since Forever" or "First Song I really Like Since Dookie" That's pretty sexy :ninja:

I think they should just released and focus on one album, uno is okay but dos at some point disappoint me, but it's just my opinion, I hope tre would be the best.

and I hope they could give them some good promotion not too much to let Billie sick again but with good quality.

Nope! Green Day will always be popular... even when they are 70 years old! Damn, that's gonna be weird... seeing billie joe at 70? LOL

That's 30 years from now, you'll be old as well :P and I'll be... 44. oh gawd. :mellow:

That's 30 years from now, you'll be old as well :P and I'll be... 44. oh gawd. :mellow:

Truth always sounds terrible :mellow:

He shall still be as hot as ever... ;)

I don't think Green Day is losing popularity among it's real fans, but they are bunches of people who only know American Idiot, liked it, and then listened to some good dookie stuff, thought it was shit, and moved on. But i mean who cares? doesn't change the good music green day is doing ;) and they have their real fans :)

Green Day will never lose popularity. You know why? Because when something chaotic happens ending pretty much life as we know it. There will be atleast one survivor left and he/she will walk to find some sign of life and he/she will hear a record playing. And that is Song of the Century.

Archived