GreenDay98

LMFAO disbanded.

LOL they already broken up!!! just wanted to share that information

Exactly my point, people.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who cares about hit singles.

Promoters cares about hit singles... no hit they arent in a rush to book a concert with a group...

Promoters cares about hit singles... no hit they arent in a rush to book a concert with a group...

for a new artist maybe but green day is a well established band they dont need a hit single to sell concert tickets and like i said nowadays artists earn most of their money by touring not singles/album sales

I don't even see what the argument is.

They are one of the most popular bands in the world and have been recognized for many great things (such as being one of the best live bands). Everyone in some way, shape, or form has heard them, and they are probably one of the most consistent bands.

They take a lot of chances and have been through a lot, and it shows. They wrote two rock operas, one of those actually turned into a popular musical, and they released a trilogy of albums - a couple months behind the other (each consisting of great songs). Not many bands can do that, especially today.

The 80's and 90's were a very important time in music history. I can't say the same about today. The main priority of most artists nowadays is a dollar. They get this superficial fan base for making a couple one-hit wonders. I can't say the same about Green Day. They aren't sellouts, they are highly entertaining, and they have a great fan base that has stuck by them through the best and worst times.

So in conclusion, they aren't losing popularity, they just aren't in the light right now. They don't have the means to promote their albums the way they want because of Billie Joe's rehab incident. He is facing a very serious thing and I don't care how long it takes him, how much they "fall off and lose popularity", or however you call it, just as long as he gets better. What matters is his health.

The true fans will show through this dark time and will do what they can to support the band (i.e. this forum). This is a great little community that has a deep love and interest in this great band. Green Day writes very inspirational songs and these songs have helped all of us through the best and the worst of times. It's the least that we can do for them.

When Billie Joe is better and the band is rested up, I'm sure they will be back in the spotlight, and bigger than ever.

It dosen't really matter if the general public (Who Likes Justin Bieber And Nicki Manaji For God Sakes!!) likes Green Day or not.

All that matters is that we love them, and their great music. :wub:

Yeah, Green Day's an awesome guy.

Lol, you never had a grammar mistake? Not all GD fans' first language is English, you know...

I don't think GD is losing popularity, I mean we're all still here, right? Besides more fans join GDC every day :)

personally i think its the era we're in now. both U2 and Green Day had massive hits in 2005. infact, rock really took over in 2005. Now... it's all this techno stuff (i blame the black eyed peas for that trend) and i think its just hard for any rock related thing to push through.

but i thought the same thing about green day losing popularity... but if this is based cause of the EMA's... we didn't really vote, at least I didn't (not to the extent that I usually do I mean) so i dont know. i think its a give and take on both the band and the fans?

but really i feel like once the boys keep doing their shows and packing out arenas, they wont be affected.

plus i think once billie is out of rehab and the negativity that surrounded that is over, everything will fall back into place.

Only because this genre is completely out of style now. A&R guys won't even touch a punk/pop-punk band. People seem to just roll their eyes at the genre now. We don't all see it because we all love the music but really, bands like Blink 182 and Sum 41 are just sort of chuckled at when talked about. It reminds me of how hair metal and glam metal was seen as a joke after Nirvana, Green Day and the whole alternative thing took over.

But when this music makes a comeback, which music always does, these albums will be really appreciated.

wow I had this wierd observation, please read it:

If Dookie and American Idiot are considered two periods of Green Day, then-

Insomniac=21st Century Breakdown (Both tried to outdo their predessors, but failed)

Nimrod=Uno(New stuff, moderate sucess)

Warning=Dos(Amazingly new stuff, Warning didnt work, dos is also unlikely)

If we use the same logic, then Tre=American Idiot, something new and awesome again, with commercial sucess :D.Let's hope so

I don't care about popularity. The matter here is: Do you really like them, or you only like them because they are/were popular?

Thet have about 26 million likes on Facebook. The Beatles has 29 million. Doesn't it prove that so many people indeed respect Green Day? Probably, a lot of them are not satisfied with the new albums that came out recently, but they still include Green Day as one of their favorites.

Are they losing popularity? Who gives a shit. We all love them. They make music for us and they make music for themselves. They don't try to change their sound to pigeonhole themselves into a category or to get themselves played on the local Mix Hits radio station. They have sustenance. Their old stuff can be played on modern/alt rock stations just as much as their new stuff.

What's "popular" these days last 2 or 3 songs. Carly Rae Jepsen became a one hit wonder months before her album that featured "Call Me Maybe" even came out!!!! You think LMFAO will be around 20 years from now?? Music today is shit. Thanks to being able to buy one song at a time, hardly any bands put forth the effort to actually put together an entire album that people can listen to from beginning to end.

And in all actuality, I hope they lose somewhat of their popularity because more of the hardcore fans will go to the concerts instead of the knuckleheads who go to the show, get drunk, become drunk assholes, and hope the band will play "Basketcase".

I'll always be a fan. You'll always be a fan. That's what's great about Green Day. That's what's great about Green Day fans.

Is that your tattoo? That's fucking badass!

Well, I have only recently become a real fanboy to Green Day (I had never heard any of their music before summer this year!) - so they are still gaining followers :')

So because of recent events, the trilogy can't be promoted like it deserves and it may not be the big come back everyone was hoping for. But the boys do tend to hit it big on years ending with 4, so maybe 2014 will be time for their third return to the top. Dookie - 1994 / American Idiot - 2004 / Followup to Trilogy - 2014 / Green Day album #16 - 2024.....

My hipster side says that they shouldn't get much fame, but still I want them to release records. What I've seen, whether they're losing their popularity or not, varies a lot. Some people know the trilogy but some haven't ever heard about it. But I'm happy with what they are now.

In my opinion they've been losing popularity since Insomniac only because anything they did after that didn't sound like Dookie. They gained massive popularity after AI but then it seems to be going down again because once again what they are doing doesn't sound like AI. I don't feel that...I love GD all the way, but that's how I see it from people who used to be fans and what not.

When the world looks back at the 1990s onwards in music they will see songs by Green Day: Basket Case, Time of Your Life, American Idiot and Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I would argue these are four of the biggest songs released during my lifetime. Not to mention the many other well known songs they have contributed: Longview, When I Come Around, Minority, Holiday, WMUWSE, Know Your Enemy, 21 Guns, Oh Love. Dookie and American Idiot I believe will be two of the last 'big' albums now that singles are taking over. Therefore Green Day are in such a situation whereby they can do whatever they like and will still be remembered for many years to come.

Undoubtedly in 1994 and 2005 they were the biggest band in the world. I would still argue now they are the best rock band out there. However, I do believe they are not as popular nowadays. The Uno wouldn't have sold as many copies as it did if Billie Joe hadn't had his rant which included Justin Bieber. The world suddenly remembered that band, and as a result I think Uno may have had more cultural relevance. I doubt Dos and Tre will do as well.

When I talk to people about Green Day the reason they aren't loved is because after American Idiot there was a void of inactivity in the mainstream, finally with 2009's 21CB, which in the mainstream terms was terrible. Apart from 21 Guns I think people felt very let down by Green Day. And now you have 40 year old men singing about sex which is just a bit weird to people. Songs like Let Yourself Go are lyrically the sort of thing they can do nowadays, or political songs. They need to stop pretending they're 20, but retain the punk ethos. But overall their popularity would soar again if they produced another classic song, maybe that song will be Amy, who knows? I certainly remember American Idiot captured everyone's imagination and truly was THE song of 2004/5.

However Green Day will always have a loyal fanbase and, becasue of their immense back catalogue will always play good shows. I'm loving the trilogy and hope everyone else does too, however I believe they are losing popularity. But is that a bad thing?...

Well, the popular genre of music ebbs and flows. Right now, rock is decidedly not the most popular. Hip-hop, obviously pop (hence the name), and ironically indie rock seem to reign supreme at the moment.

No, Green Day isn't popular like they were when Dookie came out, or like when AI came out. That said, they're one of the few lasting rock bands right now who are listened to by younger and older listeners alike. I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of rock bands that match them in popularity with new and old listeners. And I agree with whoever mentioned Linkin Park - they're still a relevant, popular band that continues to release music on a regular basis, but they're just not at the level of popularity that they once were. Which is fine. You can't be the flavor of the month forever. The fangirls and fair-weather listeners drop off, and leave just the hardcore fans. Its all good. As long as the band is happy and the fans are happy, it doesn't really matter if they are winning a popularity contest or not.

''Who wants to listen to songs of faith, hope and social commentary from what used to be snot-core's biggest-selling band?" Though it produced the hit "Minority" and a smaller hit with "Warning", some observers were coming to the conclusion that the band was losing relevance, and a decline in popularity followed. While all of Green Day's previous albums had reached a status of at least double platinum, Warning was only certified gold.''

A quote from Wikipedia. And remember what happened after Warning? Also, I now look back at Warning as my second favorite Green Day album (After Nimrod)! BS&B and Hold On are two of my fave songs :D I think Tre! will be the best of the trilogy!

Archived