Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is extremely difficult to basically blow up twice taking on two generations. To ask for it to happen a third time is way too much to ask. They will begin to do what they did with Nimrod and Warning and mess around with sounds and build towards another possible big sound gradually and steadily. They will probably never reach it but I could really care less. They made the first Mainstream post punk album really, wrote two rock operas and had a musical on broad way. You can't expect anymore than that. They are hall of famers. They have never broken up from the first day they started back in the late 80's. It is a rare thing. I hope they just keep making music and don't take a break and rely on old fans to rack up the cash doing stadium show after stadium show till they die. Make music until you have no music left to write and then just quit. No reason to ruin what was a special career.

I don't think Green Day is losing popularity, but I'm sure that in 2009 when they released 21st Century Breakdown were more popular than now.

At any rate not is something that I care the popularity from one band, because I started listening to Green Day in 1999 when at that time had little popularity.

When they released the second lowest selling album in their career (21 CBD) they sold out Wembley stadium. Also album sales don't reflect popularity anymore with the llegal downloading. I bet they would have at least 5 million more sales each album if they counted illegalownloading

Unfortunately I think Green Day are seen in the same light as Nickleback, although nowhere near as bad. A lot of people still see Green Day for the American Idiot era; the guyliner, skinny jeans, black clothes etc. and just dismiss them as "gay, whiny, stupid" or whatever. They aren't the "cool band" to like anymore, and a lot of people who got into them during American Idiot grew out of them and moved on, like a fad.

They'll probably never be in the kind of popularity they had in 2004-2005 (or even 1994 when Dookie came out). They fit perfectly into the fad at the time (the guyliner pop-punk/emo band thing) and it helped to catapult then into the spotlight. I couldn't for the life of you tell you what the fad is now, but Green Day certainly don't fit into it, and not being in the fad = not being in the spotlight = a seemingly drop in popularity. Popular rock music nowadays seems to be limited to weird techno-y beats or some kind of hipster 4 piece band in flannels and Vans.

Is Green Day losing popularity? Yes. However, I have the feeling that they'll never fade into obscurity. They have an extremely dedicated fanbase, and they have such a history that they'll always be relevant to some extent. If they aren't on the radio, you better believe that they influenced whatever band is on the radio.

Yes im replying to my own post shutup XD

Anyway i started thinking and I thought to myself it doesnt matter how popular or unpopular GD gets through years..what does matter is that us loyal and true fans WILL stick with them AND will be there to support them and their music

Look how many members this site has and that there are more, plus it's very hard to be a successfull as a band nowadays. Loosing popularity, my ass.

This, pretty much. Green Day is probably the most mainstream band I actually like and I'm quite sure they're doing well for themselves, two fucks I give if they aren't making Top 40 or making Warner richer.

Some of the most talented artists ever would be lucky to ever get on TV or a major label. Anyone who is too lazy to use this thing we all have access to called the internet to discover new music, who instead declares "rock is dead" pretty much deserves to be deprived of good music to listen to.

Rock radio may be dead, but rock sure as fuck ain't.

Unfortunately I think Green Day are seen in the same light as Nickleback, although nowhere near as bad. A lot of people still see Green Day for the American Idiot era; the guyliner, skinny jeans, black clothes etc. and just dismiss them as "gay, whiny, stupid" or whatever. They aren't the "cool band" to like anymore, and a lot of people who got into them during American Idiot grew out of them and moved on, like a fad.

They'll probably never be in the kind of popularity they had in 2004-2005 (or even 1994 when Dookie came out). They fit perfectly into the fad at the time (the guyliner pop-punk/emo band thing) and it helped to catapult then into the spotlight. I couldn't for the life of you tell you what the fad is now, but Green Day certainly don't fit into it, and not being in the fad = not being in the spotlight = a seemingly drop in popularity. Popular rock music nowadays seems to be limited to weird techno-y beats or some kind of hipster 4 piece band in flannels and Vans.

Is Green Day losing popularity? Yes. However, I have the feeling that they'll never fade into obscurity. They have an extremely dedicated fanbase, and they have such a history that they'll always be relevant to some extent. If they aren't on the radio, you better believe that they influenced whatever band is on the radio.

I couldn't have said this better, so I'm not gonna try.

I see GD's decline in popularity as resultant from the decline of the music industry in general. Record sales plummet as pirating becomes easier, while talented musicians have been replaced by useless 'prosthetic heads'. Rock as a genre has suffered the most as a result of this, which is why a lot of rock bands have stopped caring about album sales. Look at Sum 41 - while each record they've made is more musically powerful than the previous, their sales are decreasing exponentially with each release. So they've decided to stop making music for the masses, and record albums exclusively for their fans, who (should be) the most important people in a true musician's world. Green Day should do the same. Sometimes it's best to look at the music industry in a selfish way - as long as we as fans get the music we want, who the fuck cares? The band don't need any more money, and the money people do spend on records just goes towards the record label (who, in my experience, are generally a bunch of greedy, ignorant corporate-types). In short, I don't think we should care if the band's sales plummet, or everybody forgets about them. Because, at the end of the day, as long as they're still making music which we fans enjoy, then that's all we need. Fuck the rest.

Face it. Musics fucking dead GD is one of the very few real rockbands out there in the music scene today. I'm asking this because their recent music videos have gotten not many views. Like "the forgotten" got like 500,000 views in one whole week and their song "stray heart" got 200,000 views in 3 days. Not many view right? I really dont.care how popular they are but what if they do?

I've said this before @ some places , But the reason Green day have less views for their videos is that no one knows that it exists unless they see it on TV or hear it on the radio or something . These other artists use VEVO & if you are veiwing a video of one artist ,there will be an ad about a new video of a similar artist . I guess this is how green day comparitively has less veiws

I think they dont deserve all that popularity come with American Idiot. To date, this is their average "electoral constituency" and it might be too much. Let's be serious, I love them, but I'm aware they aren't a band as great as they've become.

I think they dont deserve all that popularity come with American Idiot. To date, this is their average "electoral constituency" and it might be too much. Let's be serious, I love them, but I'm aware they aren't a band as great as they've become.

you're Speaking of wat ppl deserve . then answer this Does Taylor swift , justin bieber, Rihanna & one direction deserve the popularity they are getting . We need Green Day to become more popular & save us from this shitty music we are exposed to .

Although I don't like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd for instance, I think about them when I read "great band". Not Green Day. So, I mean, it's a natural process that Green Day are losing popularity because the one they gained with American Idiot, was ephemeral.

People just like to listen to commercial music , and other shit music , i don't care if GD are not populare in this generation , the important is to know that they are the best band ever ! :)

Yesterday I was watching with my girlfriend the EMA's and I was so distraught. The world of music is so changed.. And not only..

I think that the problem of this world is that it doesn't have memory. People don't care who's the best, who really writes the best music. They consider songs and bands as disposable. So, there were great artists nominated yesterday.. For example..Katy Perry for me is a great singer(and a very nice girl)… but I think people have started to think that she "has won too many awards" or "she is no longer a novelty", only because taylor swift and one direction are transmitted more in radio.. there is no longer a personal judgment, it's the television to tell people what they should like, and people obey. Ten years ago or however in the past people decided what they like and mtv acted accordingly, now it's the opposite..

So Green Day, probably are destinated to be not so mainstream as they were.. Now the mass idolater a fucking Korean dancing like an asshole convincing each other he is funny, more than a band who started play divinely even Garage! I hope it will happen something that will make people become aware that they need real music!

you're Speaking of wat ppl deserve . then answer this Does Taylor swift , justin bieber, Rihanna & one direction deserve the popularity they are getting . We need Green Day to become more popular & save us from this shitty music we are exposed to .

People rarely get what they deserve. They take what they can get and run. Who they fuck cares about Swift, Bieber, Rihanna, and One Direction? 20 years from now, they'll be just some washed up popstars with drug problems. You ask someone in 20 years about Green Day, they'll still probably say, "oh yeah, Basket Case, American Idiot, those guys were kinda cool".

Although I don't like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd for instance, I think about them when I read "great band". Not Green Day. So, I mean, it's a natural process that Green Day are losing popularity because the one they gained with American Idiot, was ephemeral.

You will. Give it time.

But they've never put out a bad record , why are they losing popularity ? :(:(

Because people are fucking stupid, and will listen to what they're told to listen to. It's a good lesson to learn in life.

Its not really Green Day lossing popularity. Its a combination of a few things. First one is the changing music culture, going more to fake crap, the artist is the man behind the computer not the artist performing. Secondly, the radio networks. Every few days a radio station in my area plays tracks that people select on facebook. Out of the 20 requests 5 of them were Green Day. They ended up playing 13 songs, not one of them being a Green Day song. No other band in the requests was listed more then once. It just goes to show how radio stations chose what people like. Thirdly the lack of promotion has damaged the current albums. By Uno getting to number 2 with very little promotion is a decent feet. It really shows just how many people still like Green Day.

Also on many forum site I have noticed people are putting up the cover of DOS as their avatar. Not one of these people are the same and they are over a wide variety of topics. It really shows the power they still have behind them.

huh? you say that Green Day isn't a good band?

well, you are fucking wrong! they deserve popularity they've had, if not even more.

they are working so hard, they inspire people. they make amazing music(obviously, or else they wouldn't have been as successful as they've been).

Not many bands have been the biggest band in the world two times.

I do feel like there isn't as much as a hype about the trilogy as there was for their last two albums and that is surely down to Billie's issues. But as people have said, it's hard to create new fan bases every time you release an album. We all know about it and will buy it and I'm sure Green Day will be happy about that. People will loose interest and to be honest, I am not bothered that some of the AI era newbies have since faded away. Haha.

But they've never put out a bad record , why are they losing popularity ? :(:(

That's a matter of opinion, though. Every act goes through peaks and valleys in popularity. In that regard, Green Day were probably at their low point in 2001/01. The Biebers, TSwift's, etc., are having their moment in the sun, but that'll dwindle as quickly as someone like Avril Lavigne's spotlight has. Would we be even hearing her name in the news had she not started dating Chad from Nickelback?

It's all cyclical; Green Day were lucky enough to blow up twice, which is the exception, not the rule. What's huge right now will almost certainly go the way of the buffalo in a few short years when the next wave of popular music comes along.

The ones who are saying you don't care: If they keep fading, do you think the band will care? Don't you think if they're no longer popular it will affect their future as a band?

The way I see it, American Idiot was released 8 years ago. Compared to the 8 years that followed after Dookie I think they are doing pretty damn good these days. They still get quite some attention in the media and even with a promotion including 2 mediocre videos and singles Uno still managed to reach #2 in the charts.

Now that the band is out of the running until Billie Joe is back the promotion is kind of on an extremely low level.

I highly doubt that Green Day will have lost most of their popularity anytime soon. Because when they announce a tour, people, worldwide, are still going crazy to see them play live. I think they pretty much established themselves as a strong "household brand". It's just a matter of making music, having fun and staying healthy.

The way I see it, American Idiot was released 8 years ago. Compared to the 8 years that followed after Dookie I think they are doing pretty damn good these days. They still get quite some attention in the media and even with a promotion including 2 mediocre videos and singles Uno still managed to reach #2 in the charts.

Now that the band is out of the running until Billie Joe is back the promotion is kind of on an extremely low level.

I highly doubt that Green Day will have lost most of their popularity anytime soon. Because when they announce a tour, people, worldwide, are still going crazy to see them play live. I think they pretty much established themselves as a strong "household brand". It's just a matter of making music, having fun and staying healthy.

this.

And even if they will lose a bit of popularity, i don't think they will stop making music.. they all seem to love being in this band.

Archived