Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

I dont really care about this problem....

Because they are impressing there hardcore fans

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think of it this way, less dumbass casual fans who dont know whats going on at the concerts and more room for us

I feel a lot of this has to do with age. Green Day are 40. Sure, that's not old but the thing is, they're never going to have a moment like Dookie or American Idiot again where they gain hoards of young fans. They're just too old. They've been around a long time and have had two huge cultural impressions a decade apart which is pretty unheard of. If you're measuring their success in terms of fan voted awards and airplay, you have to realise this is all catered to young people. Think about the average person whose gonna vote for them online or whatever - they'd most likely be a kid. A lot of older people don't care too much about these sort of things/don't have the time to vote like crazy, etc. Green Day's fan base has gotten older since after 21stCB. They've both gained some older fans and also lost a lot of the young fans who came on board during AI (also us kid fans from AI have grown up). Losing some of those fans was bound to happen though. All young people go through phases of liking different things, that's okay. I feel like in the past couple of years some of the media (and thus, people) have started to see them more in a classic American rock band way, which is kinda crazy but I think it's good - They're definitely receiving more respect now than ever. I think they'll lose some more AI era fans in the next little while and from then on out retain a pretty steady fanbase, the people in it for the long run. They will of course, gain fans. This isn't the end. It will just be in slower numbers and a more mixed age range. Also some of this may be because Green Day fans are more likely to scoff at something like mtv awards than say a Taylor Swift fan..We as a collective probably don't value stuff like that as much, therefore we're less likely to vote. Anyways, I've seen this all as inevitable. Green Day's ambition charms me but I'm sure they realise this on some level too. It's sad only because Green Day deserve to be heard but you have to realise they're still huge, they're one of the biggest bands in the world. Things are just different now and that's okay.

yes they are but only because they don't release an album every 2 years with 10 singles people have a very short memory.

so people forget about them it sucks but that's how it is nowadays look at rihanna, girl cant take a break without losing people interest (i know it's rihanna but whatever i couldn't think of someone else)

Nice avatar :wub:

Music is dead? Man I don't know where you live but ever night in Melbourne there is band slogging it out in shitty pubs!

I think he may have meant in terms of popular music.

ok, well lets face it; rock music hasn't been "the main genre" for a while now. yeah, pop's taken over the top forty, but there's a lot of really good music out there that isn't given the time of day. green day isn't by any means an obscure band, nor will they ever be. i mean for the love of god, they have 25 mil. likes on facebook, which isn't a measurement of how popular they are at the given moment by any means, but obviously they're pretty damn well known.

Feels like such a downer of a thread and right before the release of Dos... I don't care what the rest of the populace have to say about Green Day. Who Cares? Anyways this band has been through this before and its not about how many awards you get , or how many fans you gain or lose... it's really about the music in the end. Can Green Day say they have a reputation of producing likeable music? I think the majority of us who are fans of the band can agree that they are within good standing in this respect... they have definitely earned it... 25 years of Green Day that's pretty awesome history... one bad incident isn't going to change my view of them. We should be celebrating right now... Dos is coming out in :

1 Day, 3 Hours, 46 minutes and 4 seconds lol!!! Let's do this :dance::runaround::bunny: !!!!

The trilogy is nowhere near as popular as their last 2 albums due to the lack of promotion. That's just a fact. GD still is one of the biggest rock bands of today, but pop is so dominant right now and rock is burried under all of that autotuned crap.

(i know they have to be, and its for the good of everything, and im so relieved they are, yada yada but!) I wish the band was on tour now so they could really quantify the impact of their new music. I want them to see the thousands of crazy fans that are absolutely in love with the records because right now all they have is stupid nme reviews and meh sales numbers. they gotta know that it was, indeed, a success to us!

I'm glad if Green Day loses popularity. The less I have to hear people calling Green Day a bunch of faggots or have to hear Know Your Enemy on the radio

I have to say, I do miss the enthusiasm and excitement from the American Idiot era. When everyone would gather and vote non-stop for silly online awards and people would relish even the tiniest piece of news. It was truly fun to be a Green Day fan back then, with much of the source of it being from the fans. Nowdays the only fun/excitement I feel surrounding GD is directly related to them. It comes from them. Not us. Teenies come back. :( ! I swear the Fuse/GD vs Paramore (2009?) battle thing wore use all out. We haven't recovered. :lol:

Sales wise, on paper, yes. Culturally rock music doesn't have the commanding presence it did back in say, 2004, and it is a demographic where illegal downloading is as rife as any. But are they less popular? Well they're still playing shows to 60,000 people when they want, so they're hardly flagging.

The ones who are saying you don't care: If they keep fading, do you think the band will care? Don't you think if they're no longer popular it will affect their future as a band?

First: Green Day has a big fan base, people from kids to middle age adults.

Second: We are on the internet era. Any thing they do we will know it. If they lose so much popularity at the point they would be fired by Warner, they could release records on Adeline and promote themselves on internet as Radiohead does.

In my humble opinion, the EMA's thing just proved that Green Day can't be at the level of new current mainstream bands/artists. They're just creating stuff for fun, not to win awards. By the way, did you notice that Justin Bieber was booed winning the best male artist award??? He claimed that he is popular because of his record sales. Well, Will this kid remembered in 20 years??? He would be a Pop legend at that time??? Don't think so.

Green Day became popular in 1994 with songs like Basket Case, Welcome to Paradise and When I come around. Those songs are still played on radios and tv shows.

We have to realize that times are different now. Pop is completely crushing all the good music. I hate to admit it, it seriously kills me, but yes, Green Day may be loosing popularity. There is simply nothing we can do about it, and we just have to deal with it. Yes, it would be nice if the radio stations realized that they are playing the same songs all the time but it just won't happen. It will only be getting worse.

And about the EMA thing. Does having an award in their hand make them the Best Live Act or Best Rock? No. Their unique characteristics and amazing music makes them who they are. They don't need an award in their hand to 'label' them as those things.

But thats just my opinion.

The fact that hundreds of thousands of people rushed their set at this years Reading Festival and the fact that they're headlining major festivals around the world tells me that they are at the top of their game.

Also, the fact that tickets to their shows sell out in less than 2 minutes also says something about their popularity.

I think a lot of people here are being very critical of the band as of late because of the complete 180 they took after iHeart. We, as their fan base, have to look up and keep going, and these negative posts aren't helping. I realize that this sounds a little "drink the Kool-Aid", but I have a feeling that when the band makes their return they will be better than ever and we'll get the Green Day we want to see out in the world playing shows and making kick-ass music.

They're still relevant, but nah, they're not popular anymore.

It's actually more cool to despise Green Day than to be a fan today.

They're still relevant, but nah, they're not popular anymore.

It's actually more cool to despise Green Day than to be a fan today.

So, why are you here??? LOL!!

When did I ever say that I felt that way.

I was talking about places other than GDC.

Ok, got it. It's not the same saying something than writing something, y' know?

peace

I'm going to give my 2 cents here, this may have been said, but I didn't bother reading.

I think Green Day have gotten to the stage of their career where they don't need as much promotion to still do very well for selling an album, cause face it. Green Day is a household name for the majority of western nations. So if some fans, yes I'm including people who only know the singles, cause most fans here probably started out like that, will buy the album to see if they are good. And then that happens to a lot of people and it's a snowball effect, so they don't really need as much promotion, but video views don't reflect a bands popularity as such. Though, it would be nice to see a little more promotion from Warner. They wouldn't have this problem on Sony music :rolleyes: (tad bias there)

people want their fav band well-known but not so so popular

people got upset when their love band gone too mainstream or minority, idk, that's human

green day signed up to play music to people for the rest of their life, all the side effects are price to pay ;)

Yeah. Their tickets selling out in 2 minutes definitely says something.

Those are the small shows. It doesn't seem like the arena shows sell out that quickly, whereas other popular acts, those shows do sell out instantly. For example I'm going to the Barclays show in NYC and there are still tickets available, and it's been on sale for over a month, whereas a band like the Killers sold out the Garden instantly. I don't really have a gauge on this, but it'll be interesting to see if all these arena shows are filled to capacity and also interesting to see how they fare performing at Emirates stadium and the like. They hit that stadium peak in 2005 but correct me if I'm wrong haven't even tried to do a concert at an American stadium since then. It's not like U2 who can just say "Giants Stadium!" and it sells out. And although it would be totally awesome for hardcore fans if they went back to playing smaller venues, I can't help but hear in my head that voiceover from one of those VH1 Behind the Music documentaries where they talked about how during the Warning tour they were "forced back" into playing large theaters.... like it wasn't their choice. Lately they've been intentionally mixing up the venue size because they enjoy playing to varied sized crowds... I would hate for that to no longer be a *choice* for them. And I hope it's not something they're choosing partially out of insecurity of filling larger venues. (I don't think that's the case, and they obviously LOVE playing those really, really small shows. It's the medium-sized venues that could have you scratching your head. Like what their November/December tour was going to be, even though it was like a warm-up tour... if that became the norm for them, you would wonder if it was a choice or simply because they can no longer fill the big places.)

Okay, well first of all music is not dead and if you think so you're not involved enough in your local scene.

Second of all, in my opinion, the marketing for the trilogy was absolute shit. They're selling three albums in four months, they're probably not going to sell as much as we would like. It's a lot of music to digest for people who aren't hardcore fans.

Also, last night I was downtown at a restaurant and I must have gotten complimented on my Green Day patch at least five times. They have popularity. People know who they are.

Yeah, I think they are, but it happens. Not really a terrible thing. At this point I don't think Green Day will ever become publicly irrelevant though. They've had TWO generation defining albums. Most bands don't even have one. They will no doubt go do down in history as one of the biggest bands ever.

Archived