Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

Face it. Musics fucking dead GD is one of the very few real rockbands out there in the music scene today. I'm asking this because their recent music videos have gotten not many views. Like "the forgotten" got like 500,000 views in one whole week and their song "stray heart" got 200,000 views in 3 days. Not many view right? I really dont.care how popular they are but what if they do?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its the fact that they bombed on promotion. I think theyhad plenty of opertunites to promote uno properly but they still made half assed videos. Stray Heart and The Forgotten could become great hits. But its hard to promote now that Billies in rehab

yes they are but only because they don't release an album every 2 years with 10 singles people have a very short memory.

so people forget about them it sucks but that's how it is nowadays look at rihanna, girl cant take a break without losing people interest (i know it's rihanna but whatever i couldn't think of someone else)

Music is dead? Man I don't know where you live but ever night in Melbourne there is band slogging it out in shitty pubs!

Face it. Musics fucking dead GD is one of the very few real rockbands out there in the music scene today. I'm asking this because their recent music videos have gotten not many views. Like "the forgotten" got like 500,000 views in one whole week and their song "stray heart" got 200,000 views in 3 days. Not many view right? I really dont.care how popular they are but what if they do?

There isn't a facepalm meme that does justice to how awful this is.

I don't think they're losing popularity.. but they're not gaining any either

I couldn't care less =D

This, pretty much. Green Day is probably the most mainstream band I actually like and I'm quite sure they're doing well for themselves, two fucks I give if they aren't making Top 40 or making Warner richer.

Some of the most talented artists ever would be lucky to ever get on TV or a major label. Anyone who is too lazy to use this thing we all have access to called the internet to discover new music, who instead declares "rock is dead" pretty much deserves to be deprived of good music to listen to.

This is because of the EMAs thing? :rolleyes:

I feel that people only knows GD when they put out a song that "they like", and now, they remember them as the band who insulted (actually they didn't) justin bieber. I don't know why, but I feel that way...

Anyway, remember when they said they write music for themselves and if other people like it it's okay? Well, that's it. "Popularity" doesn't make them who they are; a great band.

There isn't a facepalm meme that does justice to how awful this is.

Don't worry bro, I got this.

tumblr_m2cu0dWnTD1qlrxk7o2_r3_250.gif

The ones who are saying you don't care: If they keep fading, do you think the band will care? Don't you think if they're no longer popular it will affect their future as a band?

I think it is because mainstream music is turning shit, with the likes of dubstep, hip hop and pop. Green Day are not part of the mainstream genres so are not played on massive radio stations or TV so it's harder for them to get as much popularity as they did with, say, American Idiot which was played everywhere.

The ones who are saying you don't care: If they keep fading, do you think the band will care? Don't you think if they're no longer popular it will affect their future as a band?

I don't think they're just gonna suddenly be like "We're not popular anymore, FUCK THIS!" and just stop being a band. That's ridiculous.

I don't think they're just gonna suddenly be like "We're not popular anymore, FUCK THIS!" and just stop being a band. That's ridiculous.

I'm not saying it will happen like that, but over time they could lose motivation.

I'm not saying it will happen like that, but over time they could lose motivation.

They never really cared what people thought of them before, why start now?

Maybe, maybe not. Look how many bands from the seventies whose only original member is a cousin of the bassist who used to be a roadie still are milking a famous name and playing shows one step above a nursing home talent show.

At least Green Day still has the original trio and their pubes ain't gray yet, so don't freak.

If they lose motivation for any reason it'll be because they burn themselves out and were just overworked and underfucked.

I don't know, one of their problems during Warning was that they felt they were playing some of the best music of their career and it wasn't being heard or getting them anywhere. I do think if they really, really lost popularity it would at least be noticed by them, if not in the same way.

That said, times are different now, bands can literally have just an internet following and be successful, and despite having two albums (21CB and the trilogy) that aren't what you'd call massive commercial successes, they still get to go out and play packed shows to loads of people, which is what I feel they care most about. So long as they can still do that I don't think they'll care about much else.

Green Day I'm sure is not giving their popularity any though at all right now. The only thing they should be worrying about right now is making sure Billie's recovery goes as smoothly as possible. When they're ready to come back and start promoting their stuff again, they'll be much more in the spotlight. They're probably not gaining popularity right now, but they definitely aren't losing any. I don't really care either way. All that's important is that they do well through this struggle and their fans show them support and love.

Green Day have never given a fuck about what other's think about them. When people like Johnny Lydon have a go at them for not being "real punks", they just laugh and say "where's your old gang man?".

Sure, Green Day will lost popularity. Every band does. But there's one thing Green Day have never done, and that's lie down and accept the inevitable. They'll probably still be releasing music til one of them dies.

The problem is I think Green Day *does* care about their success. I think it will bother them that this trilogy wasn't a smash hit. Mike said in one of those voiceovers "I got the same feeling making these that I had when we made Dookie and American Idiot." Those types of statements are completely loaded and carry a lot of weight, they imply that the band is obviously very conscious of the success of those two albums as generational icons, and to some extent knows or thinks they know when they are doing something on par with that. It's also like he's trying to convince himself and the listener that these should be huge and received as such. Whether or not the trilogy is instant classic worldwide phenomenon material like Dookie and AI is still up for discussion (but obviously the world isn't having it), but it's clear that the band thinks deeply about its success when making music. If you look at their personalities and attitudes with their declining popularity in those "middle years" around Nimrod and Warning, they had a very unhappy "we suck" attitude about themselves as a band, a chip on their shoulders, etc. They got that off their back with AI, and for a while have been riding the "We have nothing left to prove" horse. And while that's definitely true, I honestly believe they would all be depressed if they were slowly relegated to that washed up but still putting out records old band status. Like, fuck, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen... those guys still put out new music, and they're fucking legends, but none of it really cracks through, and for all I know they've been making better music in the last 10 years than they did when they were superstars. But is there really a precedent or an example of honest-to-God CONTINUED relevance? U2 had their big hits again back in 2005 too, after a much longer career, but who's to say they ever will have a real hit album again? I don't think there are very many examples of bands staying incredibly relevant for more than 20 years and the fact that Green Day has managed it for a time is fantastic, I hope they *can* break the mold and put out hits until they're old and gray, but there's really no precedent for it (If there is though, someone please tell me an example!). That doesn't mean the music quality is better or worse, it's just the way it is.

As long as they keep existing and making kickass music like they always do, I honestly could care less about their popularity

How many people here had to get idiot club memberships so they'd be able to get pre-sale tickets for 20,000 seat venues so they wouldn't be sitting near the rafters? I think they're doing just fine. I'd personally welcome going back to see them in 2,000 capacity venues but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Like, fuck, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen... those guys still put out new music, and they're fucking legends, but none of it really cracks through, and for all I know they've been making better music in the last 10 years than they did when they were superstars. But is there really a precedent or an example of honest-to-God CONTINUED relevance? U2 had their big hits again back in 2005 too, after a much longer career, but who's to say they ever will have a real hit album again? I don't think there are very many examples of bands staying incredibly relevant for more than 20 years and the fact that Green Day has managed it for a time is fantastic, I hope they *can* break the mold and put out hits until they're old and gray, but there's really no precedent for it (If there is though, someone please tell me an example!). That doesn't mean the music quality is better or worse, it's just the way it is.

Springsteen is the only guy who remains relevant. Born To Run and Darkness On The Edge Of Town in the 70s, Nebraska and Born In The USA in the 80s, The Ghost Of Tom Joad in the 90s, The Rising and Magic in the 00s and Wrecking Ball this year.

U2 have done pretty well too on that front. To be honest I think their last few albums have just been rehashes of their better earlier work but I guarantee their next one will go to number one and they'll still be playing stadiums.

Are they AS popular as before..... no.

Were they AS popular as American Idiot when 21CB came out....... no.

Are they STILL popular...... yes.

Mainstream bands change so often and lets be honest, they will never top the height of success they were at with American Idiot. The fan girls wont be out in full anymore, One Direction and The Bieber have taken them away.

Are they still going to sell out tours and produce records, of course they are.

All i'm going to say for anyone older than 20. Linkin Park....... once a HUGE band, still pretty big (i think) but nowhere near what they were in their prime.

Music fads change for a casual listeners i'm afraid.

Archived