Is Green Day losing popularity?

GreenDay98

Well, if they lost popularity - they will know their last handful of fans by their names and invite them for dinner and jam with them in their basement. I like the idea... ;)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe on album sales, because of piracy'n shit, but look at those massive crowds at Reading and RaR!

Can't judge festivals audiences tho...

Can't judge festivals audiences tho...

Well, pretty sure they came to listen Green Day...

I don't think their popularity is really something that can be gaged. I think they are one of those bands that are ALWAYS going to have fans and be popular in some form or another. They could stop making music for the rest of their careers, and just tour with the stuff that they have and probably still sell out large venues for years and years. I also feel like they keep getting new generations of fans, and will continue to do so. Kids today are picking up Dookie for the first time ever, while some of us have been listening to it for twenty years. A lot of fans drop off (for example, almost everyone I know that used to like them don't listen to them anymore and haven't in years), but a lot will be fans for life, and new ones are always coming about.

I very seriously doubt EVERYONE came for Green Day

You can't compare album sales from era to era - so many people illegally download these days.

It still plays the sterile 'rock' produced by Arctic Monkeys and their ilk

jeeehmeh.gif

You can't compare album sales from era to era - so many people illegally download these days.

Yet overall album sales have also increased sharply due to the ever-increasing access to legal music. There may be more illegal downloads than ever before but more music is also being bought legally than ever before. I'd say the reason you can't compare eras is that there are far more channels to access music in general these days. Illegal downloading is irrelevant in context.

Yet overall album sales have also increased sharply due to the ever-increasing access to legal music. There may be more illegal downloads than ever before but more music is also being bought legally than ever before. I'd say the reason you can't compare eras is that there are far more channels to access music in general these days. Illegal downloading is irrelevant in context.

:)

I very seriously doubt EVERYONE came for Green Day

It's true that you can't really judge from festivals since there's loads of other popular bands at them and a lot of people buy tickets before they even know which bands are playing just because they like going. However they broke the attendance record for Emirates Stadium last summer, selling out 60,000 seats all on their own! Not much sign of them losing popularity as a live band that's for sure.

It's true that you can't really judge from festivals since there's loads of other popular bands at them and a lot of people buy tickets before they even know which bands are playing just because they like going. However they broke the attendance record for Emirates Stadium last summer, selling out 60,000 seats all on their own! Not much sign of them losing popularity as a live band that's for sure.

Sure not as a live band, but...

Oh I wasn't doubting that but 1969 was using festivals and was just saying can't really judge that

Oh I wasn't doubting that but 1969 was using festivals and was just saying can't really judge that

Yep, just agreeing and pointing out there's another way to judge it :)

the sterile 'rock' produced by Arctic Monkeys and their ilk however

side eyeing you so hard right now

side eyeing you so hard right now

I like some of AM's early stuff, but I don't think the more recent songs I've personally heard are massively/wildly/outrageously good/different - so my point wasn't 'I think AM suck' but 'Radio 1 could've given Trilogy singles some support considering that point'.

I like some of AM's early stuff, but I don't think the more recent songs I've personally heard are massively/wildly/outrageously good/different - so my point wasn't 'I think AM suck' but 'Radio 1 could've given Trilogy singles some support considering that point'.

lol ok

• 3 weeks later...

Two things:

1) Music is far from dead. Unless you only listen to the radio. There are loads of 'real' rock bands out there today who are putting out great records and doing great live shows.

2) Green Day have gotten to the point in their career where they've made enough money that they'll never need to put out another really successful album again, instead they can have fun doing smaller shows and more experimental records. And who gives a shit how many views some dumbs YouTube video gets? As long as they're putting out quality albums and can still perform, I'll stay a fan.

I don't think they've gotten to a point in their career that they need to stop making successful albums their motivation for making albums has never been about whether it's going to be successful or not it's always been about reinventing themselves and what it means to be punk. Green Day has never written songs in the hope that they'd be successful they just say what they believe and unlike other artists they don't like to stay in one place so if you like dookie you might not like American Idiot, if you like ¡Dos! you might not like nimrod. Although Green Day care about their fans they never cared if they were popular or not.

sorry that was a little long

Do not turn that into one of those horrendous "music is dead" discussions. There's always been great music and always will be.

I personally like old stuff very much and it annoys me how some of those people who dig that stuff, even if they are quite young think something like that rock music, or music in general, is dead. It is not. And that attitude is sad.

If it doesn't get played on radio doesn't mean it can't be great. There has been countless number of awesome band who never were very popular.

People who say that music is dead are either too lazy to discover new music they dig, or too narrow-minded to like anything outside of their safety zone. Period

Amd when it comes to Green Days popularity, they still fill stations? Personally I dont care that much aboug their popularity though. But I can see how trilogy alienated some more casual fans maybe. On the other hand, many younger people who were like twelve back then became their fans because of trilogy, but I guess some of them have already moved to another band :P never mind.

there've always been some heights and lows and right now, we are already waiting for a new height to come though i wouldn't consider this era as a low point

They're definitely losing popularity. Slowly but surely. That doesn't really mean much though, just because they aren't as popular as they used to be doesn't mean you have to stop listening to them or something :lol:

It still plays the sterile 'rock' produced by Arctic Monkeys and their ilk however - but that is probably because a band like that is more 'current' in the UK public's conscious?

Fite me irl :mad::P

Who the fuck cares if Green Day is losing popularity they never gave a shit about how popular they were I love them I don't care if everybody else hates them they're my heroes solely because they make amazing music without caring about their success or popularity

Who the fuck cares if Green Day is losing popularity they never gave a shit about how popular they were I love them I don't care if everybody else hates them they're my heroes solely because they make amazing music without caring about their success or popularity

Yes bro!! I liked the enthusiasm :D

there've always been some heights and lows and right now, we are already waiting for a new height to come though i wouldn't consider this era as a low point

Really? If abysmal sales, Billie's rehab, a cancelled tour and now Britt's cancer don't make a low point, what does? I mean, I know they clawed it back with Brixton, Reading and Leeds, but on the whole it hasn't exactly been a fun couple of years to be a fan.

I pretty much am an optimist & GD did survive this era & I am amazed at the tour billie pulled off considering where it started. We can only think positive thoughts for Britt - so if they can survive this last hurdle - the fans have nothing to worry about.

Archived