Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

Is Green Day losing popularity?

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

GreenDay98

GreenDay98
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2012
  • 6 rep
Face it. Musics fucking dead GD is one of the very few real rockbands out there in the music scene today. I'm asking this because their recent music videos have gotten not many views. Like "the forgotten" got like 500,000 views in one whole week and their song "stray heart" got 200,000 views in 3 days. Not many view right? I really dont.care how popular they are but what if they do?

21 guns for you

21 guns for you
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 18 rep
I think its the fact that they bombed on promotion. I think theyhad plenty of opertunites to promote uno properly but they still made half assed videos. Stray Heart and The Forgotten could become great hits. But its hard to promote now that Billies in rehab
  • TheBasketcase likes this

Kitty Purry

Kitty Purry
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Joined Oct 18, 2006
  • 93 rep
yes they are but only because they don't release an album every 2 years with 10 singles people have a very short memory.
so people forget about them it sucks but that's how it is nowadays look at rihanna, girl cant take a break without losing people interest (i know it's rihanna but whatever i couldn't think of someone else)
  • Homero likes this

Josh100_3

Josh100_3
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2012
  • 103 rep

POPULAR

Music is dead? Man I don't know where you live but ever night in Melbourne there is band slogging it out in shitty pubs!
  • Gwakington, crock6000, *Maria_Laura* and 6 others like this

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,593 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,969 rep
I couldn't care less =D
  • Ned Dopamine likes this

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 669 rep

POPULAR

Face it. Musics fucking dead GD is one of the very few real rockbands out there in the music scene today. I'm asking this because their recent music videos have gotten not many views. Like "the forgotten" got like 500,000 views in one whole week and their song "stray heart" got 200,000 views in 3 days. Not many view right? I really dont.care how popular they are but what if they do?

There isn't a facepalm meme that does justice to how awful this is.
  • PaulS, sampy, Burnout98 and 13 others like this

The Forgotten

The Forgotten
  • Betty White's boytoy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 1,578 rep
I don't think they're losing popularity.. but they're not gaining any either
  • Peyton Sawyer likes this

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,533 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,683 rep

POPULAR

I couldn't care less =D

This, pretty much. Green Day is probably the most mainstream band I actually like and I'm quite sure they're doing well for themselves, two fucks I give if they aren't making Top 40 or making Warner richer.

Some of the most talented artists ever would be lucky to ever get on TV or a major label. Anyone who is too lazy to use this thing we all have access to called the internet to discover new music, who instead declares "rock is dead" pretty much deserves to be deprived of good music to listen to.
  • Travis, karma1215, Tubbie Head and 13 others like this

Laly

Laly
  • Moving Target

• 14,027 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 15,309 rep
This is because of the EMAs thing? :rolleyes:
I feel that people only knows GD when they put out a song that "they like", and now, they remember them as the band who insulted (actually they didn't) justin bieber. I don't know why, but I feel that way...
Anyway, remember when they said they write music for themselves and if other people like it it's okay? Well, that's it. "Popularity" doesn't make them who they are; a great band.
  • DannyDirnt and Ryan White like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,585 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,934 rep

POPULAR

There isn't a facepalm meme that does justice to how awful this is.

Don't worry bro, I got this.

Posted Image

Edited by John., 11 November 2012 - 07:51 PM.
ONE GIF IS SUFFICIENT, FUCKER

• Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap, ~ Walking Contradiction, drugstore hooligan and 20 others like this

brianbags

brianbags
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2009
  • 104 rep
The ones who are saying you don't care: If they keep fading, do you think the band will care? Don't you think if they're no longer popular it will affect their future as a band?

addycam

addycam
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined Oct 28, 2012
  • 6 rep
I think it is because mainstream music is turning shit, with the likes of dubstep, hip hop and pop. Green Day are not part of the mainstream genres so are not played on massive radio stations or TV so it's harder for them to get as much popularity as they did with, say, American Idiot which was played everywhere.

Edited by addycam, 11 November 2012 - 07:36 PM.

• Neon Light and Craftsman1325 like this

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,982 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,518 rep

The ones who are saying you don't care: If they keep fading, do you think the band will care? Don't you think if they're no longer popular it will affect their future as a band?

I don't think they're just gonna suddenly be like "We're not popular anymore, FUCK THIS!" and just stop being a band. That's ridiculous.
  • Ryan White and williamgosselin like this

brianbags

brianbags
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2009
  • 104 rep

I don't think they're just gonna suddenly be like "We're not popular anymore, FUCK THIS!" and just stop being a band. That's ridiculous.

I'm not saying it will happen like that, but over time they could lose motivation.

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,982 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,518 rep

I'm not saying it will happen like that, but over time they could lose motivation.

They never really cared what people thought of them before, why start now?

Advertising

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,533 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,683 rep

Maybe, maybe not. Look how many bands from the seventies whose only original member is a cousin of the bassist who used to be a roadie still are milking a famous name and playing shows one step above a nursing home talent show.

At least Green Day still has the original trio and their pubes ain't gray yet, so don't freak.

If they lose motivation for any reason it'll be because they burn themselves out and were just overworked and underfucked.
  • Neon Light likes this

farley drexel hatcher

farley drexel hatcher
  • Best Thing In Town

• 8,104 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2005
  • 1,643 rep
I don't know, one of their problems during Warning was that they felt they were playing some of the best music of their career and it wasn't being heard or getting them anywhere. I do think if they really, really lost popularity it would at least be noticed by them, if not in the same way.

That said, times are different now, bands can literally have just an internet following and be successful, and despite having two albums (21CB and the trilogy) that aren't what you'd call massive commercial successes, they still get to go out and play packed shows to loads of people, which is what I feel they care most about. So long as they can still do that I don't think they'll care about much else.
  • Trina and No Rhyme Or Reason like this

Green Day In Seattle

Green Day In Seattle
  • fuckdatshit

• 3,996 posts
  • Joined Aug 27, 2012
  • 2,901 rep
Green Day I'm sure is not giving their popularity any though at all right now. The only thing they should be worrying about right now is making sure Billie's recovery goes as smoothly as possible. When they're ready to come back and start promoting their stuff again, they'll be much more in the spotlight. They're probably not gaining popularity right now, but they definitely aren't losing any. I don't really care either way. All that's important is that they do well through this struggle and their fans show them support and love.
  • scwk0511 likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,585 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,934 rep
Green Day have never given a fuck about what other's think about them. When people like Johnny Lydon have a go at them for not being "real punks", they just laugh and say "where's your old gang man?".

Sure, Green Day will lost popularity. Every band does. But there's one thing Green Day have never done, and that's lie down and accept the inevitable. They'll probably still be releasing music til one of them dies.
  • Craftsman1325 likes this

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,745 rep

POPULAR

The problem is I think Green Day *does* care about their success. I think it will bother them that this trilogy wasn't a smash hit. Mike said in one of those voiceovers "I got the same feeling making these that I had when we made Dookie and American Idiot." Those types of statements are completely loaded and carry a lot of weight, they imply that the band is obviously very conscious of the success of those two albums as generational icons, and to some extent knows or thinks they know when they are doing something on par with that. It's also like he's trying to convince himself and the listener that these should be huge and received as such. Whether or not the trilogy is instant classic worldwide phenomenon material like Dookie and AI is still up for discussion (but obviously the world isn't having it), but it's clear that the band thinks deeply about its success when making music. If you look at their personalities and attitudes with their declining popularity in those "middle years" around Nimrod and Warning, they had a very unhappy "we suck" attitude about themselves as a band, a chip on their shoulders, etc. They got that off their back with AI, and for a while have been riding the "We have nothing left to prove" horse. And while that's definitely true, I honestly believe they would all be depressed if they were slowly relegated to that washed up but still putting out records old band status. Like, fuck, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen... those guys still put out new music, and they're fucking legends, but none of it really cracks through, and for all I know they've been making better music in the last 10 years than they did when they were superstars. But is there really a precedent or an example of honest-to-God CONTINUED relevance? U2 had their big hits again back in 2005 too, after a much longer career, but who's to say they ever will have a real hit album again? I don't think there are very many examples of bands staying incredibly relevant for more than 20 years and the fact that Green Day has managed it for a time is fantastic, I hope they *can* break the mold and put out hits until they're old and gray, but there's really no precedent for it (If there is though, someone please tell me an example!). That doesn't mean the music quality is better or worse, it's just the way it is.
  • Ingrid, PaulS, Spider Tre and 10 others like this

alecandstuff

alecandstuff
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined Sep 26, 2012
  • 380 rep
As long as they keep existing and making kickass music like they always do, I honestly could care less about their popularity
  • Schlappy and Peyton Sawyer like this

JasonH

JasonH
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Joined Feb 14, 2006
  • 91 rep
How many people here had to get idiot club memberships so they'd be able to get pre-sale tickets for 20,000 seat venues so they wouldn't be sitting near the rafters? I think they're doing just fine. I'd personally welcome going back to see them in 2,000 capacity venues but that ship sailed a long time ago.
  • Anja, Mary Daze and DTH like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,585 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,934 rep

No need for the language, I get it, less gifs. Sheesh.

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 669 rep

Like, fuck, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen... those guys still put out new music, and they're fucking legends, but none of it really cracks through, and for all I know they've been making better music in the last 10 years than they did when they were superstars. But is there really a precedent or an example of honest-to-God CONTINUED relevance? U2 had their big hits again back in 2005 too, after a much longer career, but who's to say they ever will have a real hit album again? I don't think there are very many examples of bands staying incredibly relevant for more than 20 years and the fact that Green Day has managed it for a time is fantastic, I hope they *can* break the mold and put out hits until they're old and gray, but there's really no precedent for it (If there is though, someone please tell me an example!). That doesn't mean the music quality is better or worse, it's just the way it is.

Springsteen is the only guy who remains relevant. Born To Run and Darkness On The Edge Of Town in the 70s, Nebraska and Born In The USA in the 80s, The Ghost Of Tom Joad in the 90s, The Rising and Magic in the 00s and Wrecking Ball this year.

U2 have done pretty well too on that front. To be honest I think their last few albums have just been rehashes of their better earlier work but I guarantee their next one will go to number one and they'll still be playing stadiums.

Justin

Justin
  • Hard Don

• 2,183 posts
  • Joined Nov 07, 2009
  • 1,293 rep
Are they AS popular as before..... no.
Were they AS popular as American Idiot when 21CB came out....... no.

Are they STILL popular...... yes.

Mainstream bands change so often and lets be honest, they will never top the height of success they were at with American Idiot. The fan girls wont be out in full anymore, One Direction and The Bieber have taken them away.
Are they still going to sell out tours and produce records, of course they are.

All i'm going to say for anyone older than 20. Linkin Park....... once a HUGE band, still pretty big (i think) but nowhere near what they were in their prime.

Music fads change for a casual listeners i'm afraid.
  • kripack and drugstore hooligan like this

BradGreenDay

BradGreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 432 rep
I dont really care about this problem....

Because they are impressing there hardcore fans
  • karma1215 likes this

Schlappy

Schlappy
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Joined Jul 07, 2010
  • 2,284 rep

POPULAR

Think of it this way, less dumbass casual fans who dont know whats going on at the concerts and more room for us
  • Supa Hot Fire, ~ Walking Contradiction, drugstore hooligan and 6 others like this

Trina

Trina
  • lacklustre panicky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2007
  • 322 rep
I feel a lot of this has to do with age. Green Day are 40. Sure, that's not old but the thing is, they're never going to have a moment like Dookie or American Idiot again where they gain hoards of young fans. They're just too old. They've been around a long time and have had two huge cultural impressions a decade apart which is pretty unheard of. If you're measuring their success in terms of fan voted awards and airplay, you have to realise this is all catered to young people. Think about the average person whose gonna vote for them online or whatever - they'd most likely be a kid. A lot of older people don't care too much about these sort of things/don't have the time to vote like crazy, etc. Green Day's fan base has gotten older since after 21stCB. They've both gained some older fans and also lost a lot of the young fans who came on board during AI (also us kid fans from AI have grown up). Losing some of those fans was bound to happen though. All young people go through phases of liking different things, that's okay. I feel like in the past couple of years some of the media (and thus, people) have started to see them more in a classic American rock band way, which is kinda crazy but I think it's good - They're definitely receiving more respect now than ever. I think they'll lose some more AI era fans in the next little while and from then on out retain a pretty steady fanbase, the people in it for the long run. They will of course, gain fans. This isn't the end. It will just be in slower numbers and a more mixed age range. Also some of this may be because Green Day fans are more likely to scoff at something like mtv awards than say a Taylor Swift fan..We as a collective probably don't value stuff like that as much, therefore we're less likely to vote. Anyways, I've seen this all as inevitable. Green Day's ambition charms me but I'm sure they realise this on some level too. It's sad only because Green Day deserve to be heard but you have to realise they're still huge, they're one of the biggest bands in the world. Things are just different now and that's okay.

yes they are but only because they don't release an album every 2 years with 10 singles people have a very short memory.
so people forget about them it sucks but that's how it is nowadays look at rihanna, girl cant take a break without losing people interest (i know it's rihanna but whatever i couldn't think of someone else)

Nice avatar :wub:

Music is dead? Man I don't know where you live but ever night in Melbourne there is band slogging it out in shitty pubs!

I think he may have meant in terms of popular music.

tresrocknrollgf

tresrocknrollgf
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined Aug 08, 2012
  • 31 rep
ok, well lets face it; rock music hasn't been "the main genre" for a while now. yeah, pop's taken over the top forty, but there's a lot of really good music out there that isn't given the time of day. green day isn't by any means an obscure band, nor will they ever be. i mean for the love of god, they have 25 mil. likes on facebook, which isn't a measurement of how popular they are at the given moment by any means, but obviously they're pretty damn well known.

karma1215

karma1215
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2007
  • 220 rep
Feels like such a downer of a thread and right before the release of Dos... I don't care what the rest of the populace have to say about Green Day. Who Cares? Anyways this band has been through this before and its not about how many awards you get , or how many fans you gain or lose... it's really about the music in the end. Can Green Day say they have a reputation of producing likeable music? I think the majority of us who are fans of the band can agree that they are within good standing in this respect... they have definitely earned it... 25 years of Green Day that's pretty awesome history... one bad incident isn't going to change my view of them. We should be celebrating right now... Dos is coming out in :

1 Day, 3 Hours, 46 minutes and 4 seconds lol!!! Let's do this :dance: :runaround: :bunny: !!!!
  • drugstore hooligan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users