Green Day as musicians.

Vic_Rattlehead

oh my god. are you saying that Billie isn't the songrwiter now, too? He definitely is the songwriter

the stupidity of some of you makes me sad

Nope, you must've misunderstood.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I meant by not the best voice out there is that he's not classically trained or anything you know. I personally love his voice and I think it's great but I don't think it's any recognition because it doesn't sound like it's Michael Buble or someone like that. I wasn't trying to say his voice is awful! Sorry for the misunderstanding! I just meant others might not like his voice because it's not....fancy...I can't find the proper word sorry :lol:

Ok, I think I see what you mean now, but I would say his voice is better than Michael Buble's personally, and in actual fact, Billie did have a vocal coach (taught classical and broadway stuff) when he was 4 or 5, not sure for how long, but I remember him saying this on an interview, around the time the American Idiot Musical came out. I'm assuming it was the lady that helped him record Look For Love. I also remember seeing an old interview where he said he never wanted to be a singer, he wanted to be a guitarist (like Eddie Van Halen or something), funny how fate works isn't it. For instance, anyone else singing those songs they record, its just not the same without his voice, even though the songs are good, his voice takes them to another level. Like the cast recording for the musical, although its good, and I really like some of the songs with the female vocals just as much as Green Day's recordings, most of them that are sung by other males are not as good as the Green Day versions, even though its Billie/Mike/Tre playing all the music on it.

Billie Joe has never sucked at whatever he's doing! He's been making insane solos since the 39/Smooth days (Paper Lanterns, 409 In Your Coffeemaker). He's never stopped! Plus a lot of AI and 21CB songs have minor and major chords and aren't just 4 chord songs. Very Talented!

Mike, my god, in every GD album he's got some shining moment, sometimes more, in fact I'll give a few examples: 39/Smooth (Green Day), Kerplunk (No One Knows), Dookie (Longview, Welcome To Paradise, Sassafras Roots, When I Come Around), Nimrod (Hitchin' a Ride, King For A Day), Warning (Warning, Castaway), American Idiot (Jesus of Suburbia, Holiday, St. Jimmy), 21st Century Breakdown (Last of the American Girls, American Eulogy). I skipped Insomniac because just about every song off of it has an amazing bass line although the best IMO are Stuck With Me (the whole song and not just the solo), Panic Song, Stuart and the Ave. My friend and I have an inside joke and we say Insomniac might as well be Mike Dirnt's solo album :D

Now Tre is SUPER UNDERRATED!!! One thing I hate is when he is compared next to Travis Barker! :dry: Tre is a much better dummer, again IMO. But I mean can you disagree with me? Every drum part in every song is perfect i would not change any of them, Travis Barker just likes to show off and it isn't even that great most of the time. But anyway, I feel like Tre is left out the most. He's very original with his drumming style in the more recent albums, especially in 21CB. 21st Century Breakdown (song) has terrific and tricky fills and same goes for Before The Lobotomy, Static Age and See The Light!

Billie Joe has never sucked at whatever he's doing! He's been making insane solos since the 39/Smooth days (Paper Lanterns, 409 In Your Coffeemaker). He's never stopped! Plus a lot of AI and 21CB songs have minor and major chords and aren't just 4 chord songs. Very Talented!

Mike, my god, in every GD album he's got some shining moment, sometimes more, in fact I'll give a few examples: 39/Smooth (Green Day), Kerplunk (No One Knows), Dookie (Longview, Welcome To Paradise, Sassafras Roots, When I Come Around), Nimrod (Hitchin' a Ride, King For A Day), Warning (Warning, Castaway), American Idiot (Jesus of Suburbia, Holiday, St. Jimmy), 21st Century Breakdown (Last of the American Girls, American Eulogy). I skipped Insomniac because just about every song off of it has an amazing bass line although the best IMO are Stuck With Me (the whole song and not just the solo), Panic Song, Stuart and the Ave. My friend and I have an inside joke and we say Insomniac might as well be Mike Dirnt's solo album :D/>

Now Tre is SUPER UNDERRATED!!! One thing I hate is when he is compared next to Travis Barker! :dry:/> Tre is a much better dummer, again IMO. But I mean can you disagree with me? Every drum part in every song is perfect i would not change any of them, Travis Barker just likes to show off and it isn't even that great most of the time. But anyway, I feel like Tre is left out the most. He's very original with his drumming style in the more recent albums, especially in 21CB. 21st Century Breakdown (song) has terrific and tricky fills and same goes for Before The Lobotomy, Static Age and See The Light!

I agreed til the Barker comment listen to his work out of Blink he has some excellent work... both are excellent drummers

Ok, I think I see what you mean now, but I would say his voice is better than Michael Buble's personally, and in actual fact, Billie did have a vocal coach (taught classical and broadway stuff) when he was 4 or 5, not sure for how long, but I remember him saying this on an interview, around the time the American Idiot Musical came out. I'm assuming it was the lady that helped him record Look For Love. I also remember seeing an old interview where he said he never wanted to be a singer, he wanted to be a guitarist (like Eddie Van Halen or something), funny how fate works isn't it. For instance, anyone else singing those songs they record, its just not the same without his voice, even though the songs are good, his voice takes them to another level. Like the cast recording for the musical, although its good, and I really like some of the songs with the female vocals just as much as Green Day's recordings, most of them that are sung by other males are not as good as the Green Day versions, even though its Billie/Mike/Tre playing all the music on it.

No I like Billie's voice better than Buble too, but i think because he doesn't sound like a traditional singer he doesn't get recognition for his vocals when he should :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to chip in on this. I really do feel Green Day aren't as rated as they should be. Travis Baker came like 4th(?) in the "Greatest drummers in the world" poll thing but Tre was nowhere near. I personally think Tre is a much better drummer. Also again, bass players Mike NEVER gets the recognition he deserves for his playing.

Tre is a pretty limited drummer and is nowhere near as good as Travis Barker. His playing is defined by how limited the guitar is, whereas Travis Barker works around Tom DeLonge's even more limited guitar playing and gives what would otherwise be standard pop-punk riffs so much more depth.

Plus a lot of AI and 21CB songs have minor and major chords and aren't just 4 chord songs. Very Talented!

Also I laughed at this.

As individual musicians it's sort of hard to tell because I feel Mike and Tre are somewhat limited by Billie's songwriting. He tends to repeat the same chord structures just with different vocal melodies a lot which can be difficult for a rhythm section. Additionally, he's always been sort of confined to the pop music template so there isn't a hell of a lot of room for experimentation without risking complete alienation.

While I think GD are very talented musicians, it seems like some of you overrate them a little bit. Just because a lot of their songs aren't "just 4 chords" doesn't make it a musical masterpiece - IMO that kind of complexity should be standard for a world-famous band.

That being said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that GD's music doesn't necessarily carry the band. They're very solid - even if their songs aren't that complex, it sounds damn good. That, and Billie's excellent lyric-writing, are why Green Day just works, in my honest opinion. But yes, the guys are very talented and could flaunt it if they wished. However, they don't need that to sound great, which is something that deserves to be acknowledged

Archived