Green Day as musicians.

Vic_Rattlehead

c) of course travis barker is a very good drummer, but he's also very overrated. derrick plourde, dave raun, jordan burns, kye smith, gordy forman... there are countless punk drummers who beat him by miles.

fine, i'm going to record a platypus drum cover just when i get home.

And those dudes couldnt play half of Barker's drum parts to his hip hop productions...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't want to prove that they are bad musicians. i just don't think that they're "great" or "underrated" because they really aren't. they're good, the musicianship is solid, but it's not outstanding.

i don't even wanna argue with you anymore because.......... you are so fucking wrong

a) commercial success doesn't equal awesomeness. oh, and nofx ranked #36 on the billboard 200 with their 2009 album coaster. and you must admit that El Hefe is a way better guitarist than BJA in terms of technique.

b) dude. listen to The Decline or Maxwell Murder. even though the Stuck With Me solo is pretty cool, you can't compare it to the songs mentioned.

c) of course travis barker is a very good drummer, but he's also very overrated. derrick plourde, dave raun, jordan burns, kye smith, gordy forman... there are countless punk drummers who beat him by miles.

fine, i'm going to record a platypus drum cover just when i get home.

a) Commercial success does help though. I'm not arguing that Billie Joe is the best guitarist in the world. All I'm saying is, he writes kickass songs with a few chords played in a certain style. Could he play more technical stuff? Almost definitely. Does he want to? I'd say no.

b) Look, your original point was that Mike doesn't write basslines. He does, and he's very good at it. He might not be the best, but that was never the point of this discussion.

c) Travis Barker doesn't limit himself to punk. He could play any style he wanted to, and with great ease. His work with Transplants and that remix album he released a few months ago prove that. All Travis does in blink-182 is take the piss out of how simplistic the songs are. He just loves overcomplicating things. Is he the best drummer in the world? Probably not. But he's the best mainstream drummer by a long shot, and probably not far off the worlds best.

why do you want to prove that Green Day are bad musicians? is that all you have to care about in your life?

dont be so fucking negative. they are good musicians. no one said that they are the best ever, but they are great& they are my favorites

and btw, i think No One Knows has the best bass line ever. and yes, I listen to the Clash..

And those dudes couldnt play half of Barker's drum parts to his hip hop productions...

Essentially just adding to my points :P

i don't even wanna argue with you anymore because.......... you are so fucking wrong

It's like I said in a earlier post hes a mainstream band hater...

Don't worry man, we all thought we knew everything about music when we were 16 too...

you're right

I CANT STAND THOSE PEOPLE.

you're right

I CANT STAND THOSE PEOPLE.

im glad he's not infront of me right now because i would punch him in the face

I bet he listened to Green Day before they were mainstream :P

Oh wait, he was born 2 years after Dookie was released...

I bet he listened to Green Day before they were mainstream :P

Oh wait, he was born 2 years after Dookie was released...

Haha :P

Well, he obviously doesn't know much about music

Haha :P

Well, he obviously doesn't know much about music

Being 16 is like having some sort of horrible disease. No one likes you, and you think AC/DC and Iron Maiden are the best bands in the world.

Good times.

Being 16 is like having some sort of horrible disease. No one likes you, and you think AC/DC and Iron Maiden are the best bands in the world.

Good times.

Hey look at me i know who rancid is and i dont listen to overrated ass green day shit

Lol

yes, i'm stupid, green day is the best and most talented band in the world, i hate mainstream, i love ac/dc and iron maiden, thanks for enlightening me. you all just improved my life with your absolutely correct statements.

Guest Trotsky

yes, i'm stupid, green day is the best and most talented band in the world, i hate mainstream, i love ac/dc and iron maiden, thanks for enlightening me. you all just improved my life with your absolutely correct statements.

Yeah, you're right man. :)

About time you saw sense.

Hey look at me i know who rancid is and i dont listen to overrated ass green day shit

Lol

Green Day play Knowledge? I'm sorry, I've only ever listened to the Op. Ivy version :P

While no one said "they were the best ever noone is better than Green Day", you have to realize you're on a Green Day site so most won't be going "no they are just average compared to so and so". We're just giving you a hard time don't take us seriously.

For what they do and what they want to accomplish they are great at it, there for they are very great musicians... are there better musicians yeah but who cares Green Day is great at being Green Day...

i don't want to prove that they are bad musicians. i just don't think that they're "great" or "underrated" because they really aren't. they're good, the musicianship is solid, but it's not outstanding.

This. I mean most Green Day songs are verse-chorus-verse-chorus-instrumental break-chorus. Musicianship isn't just "being able to play guitar fast" (which I don't think Billie-Joe could do anyway) it's also about songwriting and innovation. You don't have to go to extremes like Dragonforce. There are lots of musicians who play significantly more difficult stuff than Green Day who don't just wank over guitars.

This. I mean most Green Day songs are verse-chorus-verse-chorus-instrumental break-chorus.

Granted, but Green Day is able to take simple chord progression and make it come alive on stage! I feel like being a musician takes more than be able to just simply play the songs; they have to be able to get into their songs. No one can deny that Green Day puts on one hell of a performance (:

Granted, but Green Day is able to take simple chord progression and make it come alive on stage! I feel like being a musician takes more than be able to just simply play the songs; they have to be able to get into their songs. No one can deny that Green Day puts on one hell of a performance (:

Well yeah you could theoretically be a terrible musician and still be a great live band, as long as you played your parts right. Musicianship for me is more about the creation of the song in the first place. Although it also includes what they do to change it when playing live e.g extended versions.

Well yeah you could theoretically be a terrible musician and still be a great live band, as long as you played your parts right. Musicianship for me is more about the creation of the song in the first place. Although it also includes what they do to change it when playing live e.g extended versions.

i'm sure Green Day are terrible musicians. /sarcasm

Oh shit, do you know what? That thing of rating someone is SO FUCKING stupid and useless. ANYBODY can't say that X guy is the best of the world. It's just a matter of different tastes, something SUBJECTIVE. Nobody's the best nor the worst. And come the fucking on, you Frunsi. If you're talking like that, if you think like that, you're just wasting your time in here. I know I'm new in this forum, but I feel free to telling you that the nihilism is superfluous and useless. Green Day is a great band BECAUSE they're GREAT musicians. They're underrated. Why? Because people like you underrate the mainstream things. God, if Green Day turned mainstrem, IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. They're good. And you aren't cool just for saying that you like or listen to underground bands.

Oh for gods sake. Go back and read my post again. Now read it again. Now please tell me where I insulted Mike's bass playing. Excuse me for fucking having an opinion. Yes there's a bassline on Holiday. Is it pretty much the only time the bass get's noticed on the entire album? Yes. Apart from maybe Dearly Beloved but that's hardly worth giving credit for.

Go back and listen to AI. How much bass can you really hear? Nearly all of it is layered guitar tracks which push the bass out of songs.

Well, I didn't say that you can't have your own opinion but you said bullshit about what was said in that interview, it wasn't spposed to be an album full of bass fills/solos. And yes I love hearing basslines by Mike but I still don't think it would have fit with top much bass in American Idiot. And yes, that doesn't mean I don't miss his bass. Also I didn't mean to say that you insulted Mike's bass playing, I forgot to leave space between that, I meant to others who did that.

(there's space left between so I'm not talking about you)

My point is that those people who complain about Green Day's skills as musicians allways thinks they know so much about music. The thing is, does it necessarily make a song better cause you put a bunch of kickass guitar/bass/drum solos in it? Well, sometimes it does but in alot of songs it doesn't really fit. You know, that's what kinda shows why Green Day is such a tight band, they don't have to show of their best most advanced skills all the time they just do what's good for the song.

And for spending my time on this shitty thread I've got one thing to say, why do you listen to Green Day or any other music you listen to? Because you like it, spending your time asking yourself if they're really that good is just stupid, either you like it or not, your choice.

One last thing, when any of you come up with a basslines as kickass as Mike's, tell me about it.

Billie Joe lyrically is phenomenal, his voice is fucking beautiful and Mike Dirnt's back up vocals are amazing as well and I feel are unappreciated, I love hearing his voice in the background under Billie Joe's voice or just in general. Also just in general all four of them are amazing. Billie, Mike, Tre, Jason, together just make beautiful fucking music that I want to make love to.

I am not sure what you want from Green Day :P I'm not going to preach that Billie is the best guitarist in the world, Mike is the best bassist, and Tre is the best drummer. But they are freaking AWESOME at what they do! And isn't part of the creation of the song, the lyrics? Listen to Billie's latest works and you might be pleasantly surprised (:

I understand that it does take more than talent and great skills on your instruments for making good music. But please keep in mind that this thread is not about green day doing bad or good music. It's about if they are good musicians. I added a few points to the discussion, and you immediately got your fanboy/girl-jimmies rustled because i didn't state a popular opinion and attacked me personally. Also, i don't get the stupid mainstream-hater-thing. If i were hating mainstream, would i hang around the green day fan forum and spend loads of money on collecting ther records? I don't think so. I've never talked about green day being mainstream. Honestly, i don't care at all. As long as they make good music, i buy and enjoy it. But good music doesn't equal good musicianship, and this thread is about musicianship. If you knew a bit more about music, you would agree that green day are average when it comes to musical skills. I do agree that billie is a great songwriter and lyricist and that the simplicity is the great thing about their music, but that was never point of the discussion.

PS: i'll.post the video later, i'm on my cell phone at the moment.

I understand that it does take more than talent and great skills on your instruments for making good music. But please keep in mind that this thread is not about green day doing bad or good music. It's about if they are good musicians. I added a few points to the discussion, and you immediately got your fanboy/girl-jimmies rustled because i didn't state a popular opinion and attacked me personally. Also, i don't get the stupid mainstream-hater-thing. If i were hating mainstream, would i hang around the green day fan forum and spend loads of money on collecting ther records? I don't think so. I've never talked about green day being mainstream. Honestly, i don't care at all. As long as they make good music, i buy and enjoy it. But good music doesn't equal good musicianship, and this thread is about musicianship. If you knew a bit more about music, you would agree that green day are average when it comes to musical skills. I do agree that billie is a great songwriter and lyricist and that the simplicity is the great thing about their music, but that was never point of the discussion.

PS: i'll.post the video later, i'm on my cell phone at the moment.

Now I've got your point, and I'm sorry if I traspassed the line. Dude, you're right in your way, but I can't stand that thing of comparing bands. Every band is just like that band is. You can't compare because it will never be fair. We all have differents opinions, and ok, if you think that, it's alright, but I must insist on being against your argument. To me, comparing bands turns always into a pointless discussion -and I was talking about that in the other post. You didn't mention that Green Day is mainstream directly, but you seemed to mean that. And I'm not a fucking-great musician, nor a person who knows very much about music, but I know how to appreciate the things I haven't got. I think they're kick-ass musicians, NOT THE BEST IN THE FUCKING WORLD, but they're good in their own way. Seems that you can't stand that.

And I was wondering for a while if you are a Green Day fan. Seriously. Maybe you're too objective, or I'm too blind. It doesn't matter at all. *insert Yao Ming here*

But here's the thing "underrated" (or "overrated", for that matter) is a relative term, based on the general consensus of opinions. If we were basing that estimation solely off of the people on this forum, then, obviously, Green Day isn't underrated--one could even argue they're a tad overrated--but basing it off of their larger reputation outside of fandom, which seems to be more the point of this thread, then I would say they are underrated. it's got nothing to do with them being the "best" or "worst" at anything; It has to do with the fact that the average person considers the band less talented than they are. Hell, half the people on Ultimate Guitar think Billie can't even play the solos on American Idiot and that Jason does all the work. If that doesn't speak to being underrated as a performer, I don't know what does.

Archived